Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Golf Course Employees

Teresa's story about Disney leasing the golf course to Arnold Palmer prompted Julie to ask why can't Disney just transfer the existing Disney employees to Palmer.

Jason Garcia's article says:

Quote:
Roughly 330 Disney employees will be affected by the change. Disney said nearly all of the workers will be offered other jobs, at comparable pay, elsewhere in the resort. It expects others will be hired by Arnold Palmer Golf Management.
I expect the "others" to be hired by Palmer will be golf pro's and other professionals. I don't know, of course.

Golf operations are included in the bargaining unit. Assuming that means golf employees are represented by a union (it generally does), if all of the represented employees were transferred to Palmer, Palmer would have to recognize and bargain with the union. Generally, when a new employer continues a prior employer's operations and hires a majority of its employees from the prior employer's unionized workforce, the new employer must recognize and bargain with the union over any future changes in the terms and conditions of employment.

Palmer's employee's can still vote to be union. The difference is, the way the deal was structured, Palmer is not forced to recognize the union.

You might expect Disney's union to grieve the move. But if the copy of the bargaining contract I have is accurate (it came from the Internet so all bets are off), Disney has the "right" to subcontract out "where the subcontracting of work will not result in the termination or layoff, or the failure to recall 39 from layoff, any regular Full-Time employee qualified and classified to do the work."

Of course, labor costs might have nothing at all to do with it.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

Another thing is that typically when outsourced, you lose the cast member benefits. Lots of people work at WDW with the main motivation being free admission and discounts. So I'm sure there's a decent amount that would rather transfer as opposed to keeping the same job and moving to Arnold Palmer.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPok1 View Post
Another thing is that typically when outsourced, you lose the cast member benefits. Lots of people work at WDW with the main motivation being free admission and discounts. So I'm sure there's a decent amount that would rather transfer as opposed to keeping the same job and moving to Arnold Palmer.
Very true. While I'm sure there are quite a few Disney golf CMs that enjoy golf I doubt most of them would swap their CM benefits in order to keep working at the golf courses. Most of the jobs are easily transferrable -food and bev, pro shop cashiers, landscaping, etc. You can do those same type jobs all over WDW, just in a different building.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: