Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
Kevin Stringer
Chat Host
Oddly concerned about an elephant living in his pyjamas
The TF would like to see Kevin’s rendition of 'Great balls of fire'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanscape View Post
Couldn't agree more! I think you'd have to be mad to buy DVC at the moment.

Even taking out the free dining completely, the 42%+ discounts make it a no brainer. Like you, I see the attraction of "owning a piece of the magic" and genuinely would like to join DVC, but the figures absolutely don't add up in the current discounting climate.
There is a lot of truth in this with the way things are at the moment. The timing has to be right to buy DVC in my opinion. I bought in 2000 at $65 a point and it's paid for itself already in my particular case.
Another major factor is the exchange rate. Those that bought DVC when the rate was $2 to the pound did pretty well.

Something else to consider - you can stay at any other DVC resort as well as your home resort. This means being able to have a few days at Vero Beach or Hilton Head or even in Disneyland California. I doubt you'll find 42% reductions in these resorts.

Kev
Kevin Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
What I dont understand is that if UK people are happy to stay at OKW and SSR during the free dining plan dates why are they considering DVC.

I have been to a couple of presentations at WDW and DCL and the figures dont add up if you are a family of 4 or more with older kids 9+.

The above rooms are around £130 per night for a studio with free dining which would cost roughly the same so therefore either the dining is free or the accommodation is free which ever way you look at it.

Many people say that these deals wont last forever which might be true but if these offers finish then buy at that time. The points on the resale market will have dropped due to less years left on the contract.

If you want other resorts then this argument doesnt stack up as well but it still dilutes the ownership for the time being and I cant see Disney removing these deals for a few years yet due to the economy and flight prices for UK residents.

I want the figures to work and I also understand the emotional side of wanting to "own a piece of the magic" but the figures dont add up and no one including the guides have managed to persuade me otherwise.

If anyone taking into account the OKW and SSR free dining deal can show that I have missed something that would be great.
We are a family of 3 (2adults&1 child) and the free dining doesn't stack up for us as we are on holiday and to us that means relaxation - we stay in a one bedroom villa. The ticket purchase is also a reduction in value as we have APs which we will get 3 visits out of.

And as Deb has said we like eating offsite - been there done that and don't find value in the DDP anymore we don't want to eat like that and our DD often shares an adult CS meal with us so we would be wasting credits too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanscape View Post
Couldn't agree more! I think you'd have to be mad to buy DVC at the moment.

Even taking out the free dining completely, the 42%+ discounts make it a no brainer. Like you, I see the attraction of "owning a piece of the magic" and genuinely would like to join DVC, but the figures absolutely don't add up in the current discounting climate.
In the last year we have stayed at BLT & BCV with our upcoming trip to BWV& BLT - none of these are available on the free DDP and that is where the value is in DVC I can walk to the parks and not have to deal with the buses and a stroller

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise79 View Post
We are a family of 3 (2adults&1 child) and the free dining doesn't stack up for us as we are on holiday and to us that means relaxation - we stay in a one bedroom villa. The ticket purchase is also a reduction in value as we have APs which we will get 3 visits out of.

And as Deb has said we like eating offsite - been there done that and don't find value in the DDP anymore we don't want to eat like that and our DD often shares an adult CS meal with us so we would be wasting credits too.

In the last year we have stayed at BLT & BCV with our upcoming trip to BWV& BLT - none of these are available on the free DDP and that is where the value is in DVC I can walk to the parks and not have to deal with the buses and a stroller
This is my thoughts. Although I have booked 5 nights OKW with Free DDP I have also rented points at AKLV without the ddp to do other parks and eat off site so if doing 14 nights at either SSR or OKW and people do universal Busch seaworld and spacecentre thts 5 days meals that wont all necesserely get eaten and I would not stay 14 nights at SSR. Sorry but it just doesnt do anything for me.Hence why I always choose OKW but when we get our AP this year the 42% and free DDP wont be possible anyway and I like to try different resorts.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #19
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran

Shocked by price of DVC compared to booking with Disney UK

Just returned from 19 night trip and attended presentation. No pressure whats so ever but I was shocked at the cost compared to booking through Disney UK.

So 4 of us were in 1 Bed at SSR for 19 nights. This cost £2700 with Complete Orlando. Free dining.

To get the same holiday for same dates we would have had to buy 542 points costing $54742/£35317. (can't remember now if tax on top of that.

Annual Dues were $2418/£1560

Dining would have cost £2052.

Therefore, if we were using points, our total cost would have been £3612 which is £912 more than what we paid for the holiday. This doesn't even take into account the inital outlay of £35317 which would of course have to be split over the 35 years so that would be another £1000 on the price of the holiday.

The guy from Disney obviously agreed, had the impression he had had several conversations the same with people from UK.

Spoke to one English lady in the pool who had bought DVC at SSR a few years ago and was very upset about the fact that she doesn't get the free dining and her annual dues and food cost more than she wuld pay if just booking through Disney UK. She said that Disney didn't make this clear to her when she bought. She is still paying off the loan for the initial outlay with interest on top, madness in my opinion.

Of course understand that above applies to SSR and can see absolutely no incentive to buy there if you will use during free dining and when the 42% off offer is on. However, fisgures will of course be different for other resorts.

My biggest surprise was the annual dues, such a lot of money when you think you are paying upfront to avoid paying for holidays in the future.

Anyway, we love SSR so while these deals are on, will continue to visit as often as we can.
Portugal1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
paulh
likes to have a beer
Guiness?

with the discount and free DDP it will not always be there, they will tinker with it
No if it was the original DDP then DVC would struggle
On the DDP have found the food deteriorated over the years and of site better options and better priced
We look at DVC as long term have been members since 1999 and it has allowed us to visit all of america where DVC is situated, done the crusie on points done cali with vagas,at moment looking at Hawaii
Would we have done those places on cash no so dvc works for us,is it value for us yes as were into the position were its paid for itself(7 visits we worked it out to)
Do not over buy points as you have to remember the dues to account for each year(always a unwelcome xmas present)
Paul
been going since 1992 sayed offtite a few years then at ASMovies,ASmusic,ASsports,Pop,Caribiean beach.coranardo springs,port orleans,beach club,wildernes lodge,AK lodge,Vero beah,Hilton head island,Disneyland hotel ca,paradice pier ca and fav saratoga springs resort all in no particular order and how can i forget the disney 7 night cruise

"Fire. The Greatest Invention of Mankind. Beer. A Close Second."
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #21
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Feel free to continue discussing this subject but I know for a fact that the OP has already made her decision
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: