Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 708

Talkin' Hawaii

With the new Disney resort open it seems like a real possibility that ABD will be back in Hawaii--maybe with a couple of nights at the resort...BUT...does anyone out there know why the first go around in Hawaii (during ABD's test year--2005? 2006?) failed? (And does the new resort change the mix enough to now succeed as an ABD destination?)
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Tozzie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,883

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveABD View Post
With the new Disney resort open it seems like a real possibility that ABD will be back in Hawaii--maybe with a couple of nights at the resort...BUT...does anyone out there know why the first go around in Hawaii (during ABD's test year--2005? 2006?) failed? (And does the new resort change the mix enough to now succeed as an ABD destination?)
I seem to remember something about the itinerary and how many of the activities were hotel based.

I did find a few reviews on the internet here are the links


http://thoughtpresslife.com/2006/02/...res-by-disney/

http://www.themouseforless.com/blog_...is-and-hawaii/
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,199
DISboards Moderator

I have the brochure from what I believe was the last year they did Hawaii (2006) and I agree, the reason I didn't sign up for either of the trips is that the vast majority of the trip took place at the hotel. It was honestly not anything that couldn't be arranged through the resorts, and you just didn't get to see much of Hawaii beyond the resort. Personally, just because you *can* do everything without leaving your resort does not necessarily mean you should never leave the resort...

The survey they sent out (was it last year?) asking opinions about a variety of new Hawaii itineraries, seemed aimed at more than one island, and more than just resort activities.

When I get a chance, I'll transcribe some of the descriptions of the old trips here.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 708

Thanks Tozzie and SayHello--glad someone responded to my thread! Tozzie--those reviews from 2006 were something else, night and day re the Hawaii trip. Shows how personal travel is, I guess--and how far
ABD has come since then. SayHello--I'm looking forward to what you dig up and post, as always! If I were to design a Hawaii trip I'd try for three islands, including a two or three night stay at the new Disney resort--and then sail or fly to Maui and the Big Island for a two or three night stay on each. I've only been to Oahu (one time on a whirlwind 8 hours of shore leave from a carrier), so I would love to see more--and have the kids see Hawaii (for the first time) Disney-style.
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,646

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveABD View Post
Thanks Tozzie and SayHello--glad someone responded to my thread! Tozzie--those reviews from 2006 were something else, night and day re the Hawaii trip. Shows how personal travel is, I guess--and how far
ABD has come since then. SayHello--I'm looking forward to what you dig up and post, as always! If I were to design a Hawaii trip I'd try for three islands, including a two or three night stay at the new Disney resort--and then sail or fly to Maui and the Big Island for a two or three night stay on each. I've only been to Oahu (one time on a whirlwind 8 hours of shore leave from a carrier), so I would love to see more--and have the kids see Hawaii (for the first time) Disney-style.
I know Kathy Greenwell from the Alaska ABD in 2009. I trust her opinion. The problem could have been the itinerary, but it could have been something financial - like not being able to negotiate the hotel rates they needed to make the trip sufficiently profitable. Whatever the problem, I'm sure they'll have it all straigthened out before they offer Hawaii again. With the past survey and the new resort, surely a Hawaii trip is in the works for the future.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Turtlemom
Mouseketeer
 
Turtlemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 304

we actually did the Hawaii ABD trip in November of 2006 (Oahu and the Big Island). While it is true that a lot of activities were at the resort, we had a fantastic time and thought that the ABD guides really made our group feel special. On Oahu, we did climb Diamond Head and go to Pearl Harbor, but I thought the welcome dinner with the young hawaiian dancers was beautiful and I appreciated not having to be constantly on the run. Having a little time to actually enjoy the resort was a good thing, and our guides (Mike and Tina) spent time with all of us, especially the kids, playing in the water. Also, the surfing lessons were fun and even though I am not a surfer, I managed to get a massage on shore. As for the big Island, we had our own vulcanologist with us when we toured volcanoes national park, and at the resort, we had an outrigger canoeing club row over from Maui to show us how it was done and to help us race in our own canoes. I'm kind of surprised at how negative the first posted review was. I guess it is all in your expectations, but ours were met and then some.

If they offer another ABD in Hawaii, it will be interesting to see what activites they include and how much would be done at the Aulani resort.
Turtlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemom View Post
we actually did the Hawaii ABD trip in November of 2006 (Oahu and the Big Island). While it is true that a lot of activities were at the resort, we had a fantastic time and thought that the ABD guides really made our group feel special. On Oahu, we did climb Diamond Head and go to Pearl Harbor, but I thought the welcome dinner with the young hawaiian dancers was beautiful and I appreciated not having to be constantly on the run. Having a little time to actually enjoy the resort was a good thing, and our guides (Mike and Tina) spent time with all of us, especially the kids, playing in the water. Also, the surfing lessons were fun and even though I am not a surfer, I managed to get a massage on shore. As for the big Island, we had our own vulcanologist with us when we toured volcanoes national park, and at the resort, we had an outrigger canoeing club row over from Maui to show us how it was done and to help us race in our own canoes. I'm kind of surprised at how negative the first posted review was. I guess it is all in your expectations, but ours were met and then some.

If they offer another ABD in Hawaii, it will be interesting to see what activites they include and how much would be done at the Aulani resort.
Thanks for the info--gives me great hope that if they go back, it will be a fantastic experience!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
happymomof1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 731

We just came back from the ABD backstage magic, and were WOW'd! We'd love a Hawaii itinerary with Disneys attention to details and the aBD's guides to help make it special. I am so looking forward to what they come up with for next year and am keeping my fingers crossed that it includes Hawaii!
happymomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?
 
knewton64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,642

Smile RE: HaWAII sURVEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I have the brochure from what I believe was the last year they did Hawaii (2006) and I agree, the reason I didn't sign up for either of the trips is that the vast majority of the trip took place at the hotel. It was honestly not anything that couldn't be arranged through the resorts, and you just didn't get to see much of Hawaii beyond the resort. Personally, just because you *can* do everything without leaving your resort does not necessarily mean you should never leave the resort...

The survey they sent out (was it last year?) asking opinions about a variety of new Hawaii itineraries, seemed aimed at more than one island, and more than just resort activities.

When I get a chance, I'll transcribe some of the descriptions of the old trips here.

Sayhello

I received the same email survey a few months ago as well & agree with your pov about are you there for the resort or are u there for the activites.
Now thats not to say that Hotel Alani isnt a wonderful hotel, its much more of an issue (like u said) that ABD would get more traffic in Hawaii if they had a mixture of the two.

Me? I am once again hitting the ground running once I arrive in Hawaii - 120 more days.



T.T.F.N.
__________________
Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas
MY "GETTING SPOOKED @ WDW" - MNSSHP TRIP REPORT; Oct 28th -Nov 4th 2010(w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0&referrerid=0
My "ADVENTURES N IRELAND" - TRIP REPORT; JUNE 2011 (w/pics & video) -http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N HAWAII" -October 2011 trip report (w/pics & video)- http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2&referrerid=0
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; DEC 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
abdmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewton64 View Post
Now thats not to say that Hotel Alani isnt a wonderful hotel, its much more of an issue (like u said) that ABD would get more traffic in Hawaii if they had a mixture of the two.
Wish no more. Here's a link to the ABD excursions at Aulani. Note that they have a 3 day ABD trip as one of them. Scroll down to see the ABD excursions and 3 day trip.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,646

abdmom, you forgot the link.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
abdmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,486

Oops sorry I have a habit of doing that with attachments on email too.

Aulani excursions
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,646

Thanks, abdmom! I've been complaining about ABD not offering any trips during Fall/Spring Break timeframes (except the occasional adult only trip). It looks like the Aulani/ABD combo would be a good option, since it offers ABD excursions plus the freedom to travel whenever you want, or at least whenever they aren't completely booked.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #14
disneymath
DIS Veteran
 
disneymath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,394

FWIW, we just came back from the Alaskan Wonders cruise-add-on (awseome expereince) ... I mentioned an ABD in Hawaii to our guides and they did not seem to think that they would be returning (other than the ones linked to the Aulani resort) any time soon. They were also quick to add that they are no more in the loop about new itineraries than the rest of us.
__________________
Offsite - 1986, 1991, CBR Aug 1989, ASMo Aug 2003, WL Aug 2006, ASMu (FS) Dec 2007, AKL Aug 2008, CSR Aug 2009, BLT Aug 2010 DVC BLT since September 2010
DCL & ABD Alaskan Wonders Aug 2011, BLT (1st Trip Home) Dec 2011/Jan 2012, OKW Aug 2012, BLT (first MNSSHP) Oct 2013'


disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
emilymad
DIS Veteran
 
emilymad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,590

We are going to Aulani in 2 weeks and have been looking into the ABD excursions. We haven't traveled with ABD yet so we thought this would be a good way to try it out. Looking at what they are offering I am less than impressed. Am I missing something? We were looking at the Manoa Valley Rainforest & Bamboo Forest Hike. A quick Google search leads you to the information that this particular hike is easy to do yourself for free. $119 a person is a lot just for transportion it seems.
__________________
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.