Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #31
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!
 
topolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,155

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I was going to Xerox your question and show it to some people, but something caused me to sneeze before I got a chance and I didn't have a Kleenex handy so I had to go to a coworker's desk to get one.

Unfortunately, about the time I got to his desk, he was complaining about a nasty papercut he just received, and since noone had a Bandaid, he used his last Kleenex to try and keep from bleeding all over the place. He used some Scotch Tape to hold it on his finger. I then had to dig out an Aspirin in order to keep him from complaining about the pain.

Ugh.

Of course somehow things just got worse. The Dumpster out back is overflowing and they've not been by to empty it in a week, Some kids throwing a Frisbee dented my car in the parking lot, my neighbor borrowed my Crockpot so I can't have dinner waiting on me when i get home, The Jacuzzi is on the fritz, the Jet Ski rental I was planning on was damaged because of Irene, and the freakin Realtor just called telling me that the house i was looking at had a tree fall on it (Guess they forgot to wrap it in Bubble-Wrap to protect it.).


By the time i got back to my desk, I discovered a Post-It where my boss was telling me to get back to work. He wrote it in Sharpie, so I figured I should just forget about the Xerox.






(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...zed_trademarks)
While I appreciate your elaborate response, there is actually a very significant difference between your examples and my original question.

In your scenario, all of the producuts that are called by their name brand are virtually indistinguishable from their equivalent product. Any medicated ahesive strip is almost idenitical to a Band-Aid. Every black marker type writing instrument is just like a Sharpie. A Canon copier is the virtually the same thing as a Xerox machine. But a Sprite and a Coke are very different; completely different look and flavor. To say you want a Coke when you really want a Grape soda/pop is a lot different than calling every flying disc a Frisbee.

I'm not belittiling the way this is done in the South; on the contrary, I have a strong respect and interest in regional dialects. That's pretty much why I asked - to get a better idea of how and why it is done.
__________________
topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #32
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
While I appreciate your elaborate response, there is actually a very significant difference between your examples and my original question.

In your scenario, all of the producuts that are called by their name brand are virtually indistinguishable from their equivalent product. Any medicated ahesive strip is almost idenitical to a Band-Aid. Every black marker type writing instrument is just like a Sharpie. A Canon copier is the virtually the same thing as a Xerox machine. But a Sprite and a Coke are very different; completely different look and flavor. To say you want a Coke when you really want a Grape soda/pop is a lot different than calling every flying disc a Frisbee.

I'm not belittiling the way this is done in the South; on the contrary, I have a strong respect and interest in regional dialects. That's pretty much why I asked - to get a better idea of how and why it is done.
From my experience (Atlanta Native), "Coke" is used interchangably with a cola.... so that would be your typical black carbonated beverage.

Grape Soda, Sprite, Mtn Dew, etc don't fall under the cola umbrella, so they aren't "Cokes".
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #33
MomiTo2SwtGuys
DIS Veteran
 
MomiTo2SwtGuys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti77 View Post
Being from the South (where we call everything "Coke" or sometimes "soda"), I read the title of the thread and wondered why the rates at Pop Century would be increasing without the rest of the Value Resorts.
Oh my, that is what I thought the whole time. I was thinking maybe the price was going up because of the resort being free standing instead of grouped together like the All Stars.

Oh well, I hate that the price of a soda is going up though.
__________________
(ME) (DH) (DS 11) (DS 8) (DS 2)

MomiTo2SwtGuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #34
smitch425
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 11,718

Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti77 View Post
Being from the South (where we call everything "Coke" or sometimes "soda"), I read the title of the thread and wondered why the rates at Pop Century would be increasing without the rest of the Value Resorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomiTo2SwtGuys View Post
Oh my, that is what I thought the whole time. I was thinking maybe the price was going up because of the resort being free standing instead of grouped together like the All Stars.

Oh well, I hate that the price of a soda is going up though.
I believe the price of POP Century is going to be $5 more per night than the All Star Resorts in 2012. So you were kinda of right, even though you were wrong.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #35
Cap.Steamboat Willie
Mouseketeer
 
Cap.Steamboat Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
From my experience (Atlanta Native), "Coke" is used interchangably with a cola.... so that would be your typical black carbonated beverage.

Grape Soda, Sprite, Mtn Dew, etc don't fall under the cola umbrella, so they aren't "Cokes".

Alas!

Poor Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, C&C, Royal Crown etc

They never had a chance
Cap.Steamboat Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #36
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran
 
kbelle8995's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tallahassee, Fla
Posts: 1,530

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
From my experience (Atlanta Native), "Coke" is used interchangably with a cola.... so that would be your typical black carbonated beverage.

Grape Soda, Sprite, Mtn Dew, etc don't fall under the cola umbrella, so they aren't "Cokes".
Exactly and here if you want a Sprite, Dr. Pepper or any other drink,you simply state that that's what you want. Just if you order Pop you specify what kind you want.

My sister is a Dr. Pepper fan and if she wants it that's what she orders is a Dr. Pepper.

My goodness this thread certainly took a different turn didn't it. Anyway I'm trying to cut down on my Soft drinks so I will probably drink more water. I love the caffeine, the Caffeine don't love me.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #37
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!
 
topolino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,155

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelle8995 View Post
My goodness this thread certainly took a different turn didn't it. Anyway I'm trying to cut down on my Soft drinks so I will probably drink more water. I love the caffeine, the Caffeine don't love me.
You think this is bad, you must not spend much time on the Community Board.
__________________
topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #38
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess
 
WaltD4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 9,729

I don't even "get" pop, soda, cola, coke, whatever you want to call it. I very rarely drink it, but whenever I do I am more thirsty after I drink it than I was before. I am a coffee, water, Snapple, Crystal Light...mainly water person.

I have a friend who actually put in a mini fridge in her room next to her bed so she can crack open a Pepsi as soon as she wakes up. Yuck.
__________________
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #39
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.
 
Friendly Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I was going to Xerox your question and show it to some people, but something caused me to sneeze before I got a chance and I didn't have a Kleenex handy so I had to go to a coworker's desk to get one.

Unfortunately, about the time I got to his desk, he was complaining about a nasty papercut he just received, and since noone had a Bandaid, he used his last Kleenex to try and keep from bleeding all over the place. He used some Scotch Tape to hold it on his finger. I then had to dig out an Aspirin in order to keep him from complaining about the pain.

Ugh.

Of course somehow things just got worse. The Dumpster out back is overflowing and they've not been by to empty it in a week, Some kids throwing a Frisbee dented my car in the parking lot, my neighbor borrowed my Crockpot so I can't have dinner waiting on me when i get home, The Jacuzzi is on the fritz, the Jet Ski rental I was planning on was damaged because of Irene, and the freakin Realtor just called telling me that the house i was looking at had a tree fall on it (Guess they forgot to wrap it in Bubble-Wrap to protect it.).


By the time i got back to my desk, I discovered a Post-It where my boss was telling me to get back to work. He wrote it in Sharpie, so I figured I should just forget about the Xerox.


(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...zed_trademarks)


I also clicked on the thread thinking the OP meant Pop Century prices. BTW, we call them "soft drinks".
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.