Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #616
cherokeemamma
DIS Veteran

Great update!

I shared the rubbery lobster tail story with my DH and he was so sad to hear they were not that great. All he can think about is food and how much he can/will be eating on the cruise. I am thinking I need a disguise so no one will know we belong together. Thankfully for him, he doesn't gain weight - however, I secretly hate him for it.

Loved the video of the CM singing to you DD. I also really hate last or next to last nights...makes me sad just to think of it!

TTFN
Darlene

Check out my first trip report: The Hill Family's Surprise Vacation(w/ a ton of pics):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1234215
cherokeemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #617
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

The cake looked yummy - too bad it wasn't.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #618
stinksmom
Friends are the family you choose....

Great updates! And I agree with HappyDog, Believe on the Dream is going to make you cry. I bawled. Long story but I ended up sitting away from my family and the other family during this show. Good thing!! But of course the minute they saw me after the show, DH and DD were laughing because they knew what they would find - me trying to wipe the mascara off my face! I think they had some sort of bet except they both were betting that I cried so I don't think they were able to declare a winner

And since you were nice enough to share some other recipes, would you be nice enough to share the mushroom rissotto recipe? I love rissotto, especially with mushrooms!!

Hope the last day/night on your cruise are wonderful - I can't wait to read more!!
stinksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #619
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajeboo View Post

One thing you NEVER want to see is JIm Cantore in your town. Because it either means that you have just been the victims of a natural disaster, or it's time to evacuate. Not a good sign to think you see him on a ship in the middle of the ocean!!!!
Speaking of natural disasters, I gather you did not feel yesterdays earthquake in your neck of the woods? I'm on the 7th floor of a 20 plus floor building here in NYC and my floor and walls swayed. I hot footed in out of here so fast I was probably a blur. They ended up closing my building for the rest of the day.

And now I'm facing a hurricane. This would not really bother me, except we are leaving on Friday for a camping trip to Lake George. In a tent! In a hurricane!

I am now off to look up local hotels in the area of our campground.....
Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #620
Beth D
DIS Veteran

Nice update. You guys look great in your formal pics, even with the hussy!

Is the cake really that bad? DS turns 7 on our cruise on dis-embarkation (sp?) the last day when we get off the ship! So i want to do something for him the night before, since we'll spend his actual birthday getting off the ship, driving to Orlando, flying to Ohio, and then driving 2 hours home.

I think we've got enough time before our flight to stop somewhere in Orlando for a special lunch, maybe Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, but still want to do a cake for him.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #621
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Hmmmmmm...still, there is some truth to her part in all of this. I have pictures of proof from previous visits with my DH. Yes, a picture of Minnie plopped on the lap of my lovely DH at Cape May Cafe. And it was my 40th birthday, so you can only imagine the self-conciousness I was already dealing with, and then THAT! She rubs it in whenever she can, I tell ya!
She's a hussy, plain and simple. I think she and I need to have a "chat" in March.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeemamma View Post
Great update!

I shared the rubbery lobster tail story with my DH and he was so sad to hear they were not that great. All he can think about is food and how much he can/will be eating on the cruise. I am thinking I need a disguise so no one will know we belong together. Thankfully for him, he doesn't gain weight - however, I secretly hate him for it.

Loved the video of the CM singing to you DD. I also really hate last or next to last nights...makes me sad just to think of it!

TTFN
Darlene
Men who don't gain weight do not deserve to cruise with us. Although on our cruise, I gained 3 lbs and Jeff gaine...... SEVEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
The cake looked yummy - too bad it wasn't.
I really think someone in the kitchen got distracted. It was that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinksmom View Post
Great updates! And I agree with HappyDog, Believe on the Dream is going to make you cry. I bawled. Long story but I ended up sitting away from my family and the other family during this show. Good thing!! But of course the minute they saw me after the show, DH and DD were laughing because they knew what they would find - me trying to wipe the mascara off my face! I think they had some sort of bet except they both were betting that I cried so I don't think they were able to declare a winner

And since you were nice enough to share some other recipes, would you be nice enough to share the mushroom rissotto recipe? I love rissotto, especially with mushrooms!!

Hope the last day/night on your cruise are wonderful - I can't wait to read more!!
Let me see if I can find that recipe. I also have the one for the cheese souffle that I intend to try one day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
Speaking of natural disasters, I gather you did not feel yesterdays earthquake in your neck of the woods? I'm on the 7th floor of a 20 plus floor building here in NYC and my floor and walls swayed. I hot footed in out of here so fast I was probably a blur. They ended up closing my building for the rest of the day.

And now I'm facing a hurricane. This would not really bother me, except we are leaving on Friday for a camping trip to Lake George. In a tent! In a hurricane!

I am now off to look up local hotels in the area of our campground.....
I DID feel the quake here in SC!!! Jeff laughed at me when I called him and told me to stop drinking during the day!!!

I worry almost more about you folks up in the NE than I do about those in NC, mainly because the Carolina coast is used to this and well prepared. But I just hope that people in the northeast aren't taking it too lightly. A Cat 2 hurricane can cause serious damage, power outages, massive rain and flooding, trees down, and loss of life if precautions are not taken. I'm a weather junkie so forgive me if I sound like my cruise mate Jim Cantore.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
Nice update. You guys look great in your formal pics, even with the hussy!

Is the cake really that bad? DS turns 7 on our cruise on dis-embarkation (sp?) the last day when we get off the ship! So i want to do something for him the night before, since we'll spend his actual birthday getting off the ship, driving to Orlando, flying to Ohio, and then driving 2 hours home.

I think we've got enough time before our flight to stop somewhere in Orlando for a special lunch, maybe Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, but still want to do a cake for him.
Check with DCL - I'm pretty sure they do something special for birthdays anyway, like a personal size cake or something. But this $30 cake was terrible. Do NOT do it!!! They offer other birthday packages which include streamers and decor, too. But I would make my own goodie basket and get a birthday button too - the characters make a big deal of that. Well, except for "her."

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
karajeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #622
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Quote:

I DID feel the quake here in SC!!! Jeff laughed at me when I called him and told me to stop drinking during the day!!!

I worry almost more about you folks up in the NE than I do about those in NC, mainly because the Carolina coast is used to this and well prepared. But I just hope that people in the northeast aren't taking it too lightly. A Cat 2 hurricane can cause serious damage, power outages, massive rain and flooding, trees down, and loss of life if precautions are not taken. I'm a weather junkie so forgive me if I sound like my cruise mate Jim Cantore.....
Oh, we take it seriously. We are on the south shore of Long Island and are constantly getting whacked by Nor'Easters, if not actual hurricanes. DH already packed up all our patio stuff and put anything that might go flying into our garage. I am fully expecting our power to go out at the very least, since it always does.

I'm the most worried about some of my extended family, most of whom have homes right on the water on the south shore. The canals always rise up and they get flooded out. My house is the closest to theirs without being in the actual flood zone, so I fully expect that I may end up having a one or two or twenty house guests.

Should be an interesting next couple of days to say the least.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #623
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Kara,
After reading all of your trip report, my DH is convinced that we are either twins separated at birth or soul mates (in a strictly platonic sense)! Apparently, we have the same sense of humor, bawl and get sappy equally over our DD's and Disney characters and Disney Dreams and the sound of the ship's horn and I'll stop here to preserve some shred of dignity, lug our cameras around everywhere, have a DOTD in one hand, had several life-changing moments with the food offerings, and have impure thoughts about Capt Jack...just to name a few. (BTW, did you try a Konk Cooler???) We also only have one child who is oddly well-adjusted, in spite of her parents. If you ever think about cruising in October, let us know...we'd love to hook up (again, in a strictly platonic sense) with you guys!
Faith, trust and pixie dust,
Jennifer
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica

Last edited by jjgarv; 08-26-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: How could I have fogotten the DOTD?
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #624
Beth D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, we take it seriously. We are on the south shore of Long Island and are constantly getting whacked by Nor'Easters, if not actual hurricanes. DH already packed up all our patio stuff and put anything that might go flying into our garage. I am fully expecting our power to go out at the very least, since it always does.

I'm the most worried about some of my extended family, most of whom have homes right on the water on the south shore. The canals always rise up and they get flooded out. My house is the closest to theirs without being in the actual flood zone, so I fully expect that I may end up having a one or two or twenty house guests.

The midwest is thinking of all you folks on the east coast! Stay safe.

We have cousins in VA Beach who are supposed to fly into Cleveland tomorrow. Gotta call them later to see if flight is cancelled.

Kara - my mom felt the earthquake all the way in northern OH. So it was very widespread!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #625
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

Quote:

I wish you the best, especially with the houseguests (and I don't mean Irene!) as it sounds like the human houseguests could wreak more havoc than the storm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgarv View Post
Kara,
After reading all of your trip report, my DH is convinced that we are either twins separated at birth or soul mates (in a strictly platonic sense)! Apparently, we have the same sense of humor, bawl and get sappy equally over our DD's and Disney characters and Disney Dreams and the sound of the ship's horn and I'll stop here to preserve some shred of dignity, lug our cameras around everywhere, have a DOTD in one hand, had several life-changing moments with the food offerings, and have impure thoughts about Capt Jack...just to name a few. (BTW, did you try a Konk Cooler???) We also only have one child who is oddly well-adjusted, in spite of her parents. If you ever think about cruising in October, let us know...we'd love to hook up (again, in a strictly platonic sense) with you guys!
Faith, trust and pixie dust,
Jennifer
OF COURSE I had a konk cooler! Duh!!!! Name another DOTD and I bet I had that one too! See? I told Jeff that I wasn't the only one out there like me!!!!! As for preserving dignity? Mine has been gone for years...... maybe ever since I started confessing it all on DISboards.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
The midwest is thinking of all you folks on the east coast! Stay safe.

We have cousins in VA Beach who are supposed to fly into Cleveland tomorrow. Gotta call them later to see if flight is cancelled.

Kara - my mom felt the earthquake all the way in northern OH. So it was very widespread!
I think my mom said she felt it in the Canton area, too..... Crazy that there wasn't more damage in VA when you think how far away it was felt!!!!

Yes, everyone in Irene's path, PLEASE STAY SAFE! Pixie dust coming your way with hopes that your power stays on so you can access DISboards....

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
karajeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #626
MommaMouse411
Always dreaming of Disney

great TR!! so funny....
MommaMouse411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #627
MEK
DIS Veteran

Caught up on all your updates and pictures. Problem is I can't see pictures at work and its not fun reading the cruise TRs without pix.

So much to comment on:

Loved Ally's breakfast character photos - so cute!

And the tea - she was such a good sport to participate, but that hat was really ......really.........different, shall we say.

Sorry dinner (the lobster) was sub par and I wondered what happened to the cake? So glad that Ally enjoyed it. Precious video of her being presented the cake.

The risotto looks amazing. Making me hungry already at 7 am!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #628
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

On March 31st we were boarding the Dream...in pouring rain.
I love the tea party. Is that like an excursion that you pay extra for? I am not familiar how the longer cruises work. I actually forgot they had a character breakfast too. It looks like such fun.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #629
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Let me just quickly post that we recreated some of our Palo dinner tonight.... Sea bass and chocolate souffle - both recipes we asked for and Francois dropped by our cabin. Tasted just as good but the view was not the same - and there was some little person begging for more.......
Yum! So when do you plan to repeat this dinner and invite all your disboard groupies??? Hmmm, I have relatives in SC, I could go visit you instead of them.

Last edited by kid-at-heart; 08-30-2011 at 12:43 PM.
kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #630
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, Ally got off just fine today - she is riding the buss 3 days/week this year - it's just such a pain for me to drive 20 minutes to school, wait in line for 20 minutes, then drive home - it's a full hour round trip. So we made a deal - there are two other kids on our street (one boy is in her class!) so I told her she really needs to get over this fear of the bus and give it a shot.

So.....

But here's my 5th grader!!! This was our last first day of school at the elementary!

Ahh, she is so cute! Is that Buckey with her in the photos? (Did I remember your 4-legged child's name correctly?)

I love the boots.

kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: