Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
BOTL76
Mouseketeer

Windsor Hills Resort

Hello Disney Fans,

My Family is going to be staying at Windsor Hills Resort.

A couple of questions:
1) Anyone gone to the movie theatre at WHR, what was like and how often are movies shown?
2) How is the pool at WH?
3) Beyond visiting the parks and DTD, any recommendations for things to do or see in the WH area? DD will be 1.5 at time of trip, so anything we could go to or visit in the area around WH would be great!

Thanks
BOTL76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

The pool is very nice, zero entry, but closes everyday promptly at 10 pm. I really miss being able to swim after we get back from the parks. Definitely considering staying onsite next time, if only for this "perk".
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8t Fan View Post
The pool is very nice, zero entry, but closes everyday promptly at 10 pm. I really miss being able to swim after we get back from the parks. Definitely considering staying onsite next time, if only for this "perk".
If you stay in a townhouse or pool house then you have your own pool which is open whenever you want.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 5 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
AandCMom
Earning My Ears

We have rented a house in Windsor Hills with a pool at the end of Sept. Does anyone know if the pool water will need to be heated at that time or will it still be nice and warm (85')?
AandCMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
cammie810
Mouseketeer

The movie theatre has scheduled movies several times a day but you can also request that they show a specific movie and they will. They have a book you can pick from. It is like a mini movie theatre (maybe 15 seats). The pool is great. Zero entry nice and big with plenty of chairs and tables and umbrellas. The end of September is still really hot so you will not need pool heat! We have stayed at WH several times over the last year and love it. It is so close to WDW but you have so much more space than a typical hotel room.
cammie810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Disney Dreamers 1
SunKissed Villas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTL76 View Post
Hello Disney Fans,

My Family is going to be staying at Windsor Hills Resort.

A couple of questions:
1) Anyone gone to the movie theatre at WHR, what was like and how often are movies shown?
2) How is the pool at WH?
3) Beyond visiting the parks and DTD, any recommendations for things to do or see in the WH area? DD will be 1.5 at time of trip, so anything we could go to or visit in the area around WH would be great!

Thanks
1. The movie theater plays specific movies everyday. You can also request movies at certain times. The movies are off of DVD and not new releases.
2. The pool in WH is beautiful. It is double olympic sized, has beach entry and a water slide. It does close at 10:00pm, but the homes have their own private pools with no closing times.
3. We also suggest Fun Spot USA. It is open late and fairly priced. It is located near Old Town on Irlo Bronson Memorial Parkway.

I hope this helps!
Disney Dreamers 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Disney Dreamers 1
SunKissed Villas

Whether or not the pool needs to be heated in September is a matter of preference. If it is unusally cool in the evenings, then the water temperature could drop a little. We live down in FL and were able to swim in October without pool heat.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
lisaluvs3kids
Earning My Ears

We're also staying at WH in September - I'm glad you asked these questions. I have another - Does the office have a place where you can rent DVD's to take back to your rental house to watch? If so, do they have a lot of Disney ones?
lisaluvs3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

There is a DVD rental kiosk in the clubhouse. I am not sure how much it is.

The pool is really nice - we didn't have an issue with the 10pm closing as we are usually in bed early for rope drop.

Not too much else to do around the area other than Disney - Hwy 192 is just a sea of restaurants, mini golfs and gift shops. At 1.5, I bet she will be happy splashing in the pool.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
Disney Dreamers 1
SunKissed Villas

There is a little DVD kiosk, I can't recall if it is a Red Box or not. It does not have a lot of Disney movies, but it does have some kid movies. Some homes in the area have movie libraries in the home so that may be an option as well. On 192 it is mostly restaurants and shops, but a short drive from the resort are waterparks, Sea World, Universal, some excellent shopping, museums, gator parks, hiking trails, etc. The gulf is only about 1 hour and 45 minutes away.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
proud_canadian
DIS Veteran

Some condos/townhome and home rentals have DVDs you can use as well. The condo we stayed at last year had a box of DVD to enjoy while staying there.
proud_canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
GingerJay
DIS Veteran

You may be okay without the pool heat- just keep an eye on the weather closer to your trip. It's still pretty hot in the South

I think the main pool is heated, too.

Also- no one else mentioned, but there is a water slide in the main pool but it has a height requirement. I'm not sure if you would want your baby to go down it, anyway, but she may see it and want to go. Maybe just prepare her ahead of time.

Have fun! I absolutely adored our stay in WH- and will definitely stay there again the next time we visit WDW

February 2008: Contemporary Resort
March 2010: Windsor Hills
GingerJay is offline   Reply With Quote