Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1186
MEK
DIS Veteran

So How DID We get this Trip Report Title......finally!

I took off from OMD as quickly as possible and ran into the closet dump shop - the one right outside of Mermaid. I quickly asked the CM if she had any memory cards, and if not, where could I find one. She directed me to the photo shop. I had no idea HS had a photoshop, but I had no trouble finding it.

I queued up behind another gentlemen who was also in need of a memory card. However, the cast member had to give him pretty detailed instructions on how to actually use it. OOOOO Kay!

I bought a 4 gb memory card (the largest they had). I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it wasn't a giant rip-off. Good to know in case I ever need one again. I still was in disbelief that I filled up an entire 8 gb card.

Once out on the street I had about 3 minutes to kill until ADR time. I decided to check my camera on this guy.

HI - sterical!

He was giving this gentlemen on the scooter a parking ticket!

Too funny! But I looked at my phone and it was officially time for our lunch ADR.

And where was that ADR - well at a DIS board favorite:

I'm sure this is enough of a hint!

We had a cool table - one of those retro half mooned shaped tables. And with it came this fine young man!

Check him out! Tracy and Christine requested a champagne flight and he was happy to oblige. He even asked if the rest of us would like to fly the friendly skies.

The first pour

The final pours

He then reminded the ladies to buckle up for take off. We all laughed and he replied he, "Well - How DO you think we stay so happy?" "It's not really the Disney magic like everyone thinks!"

OMG - We were officially rolling! His delivery was perfect and, while Cynthia and I did not fly the friendly skies, we did have some lovely wine. Again - the name escapes me, but it was probably my favorite wine of the trip.

It's shocking that I didn't take a picture of that happy little glass, but I did take a picture of this baby.

Blue Lump Crab Cake - with Potato Crust, Green Cabbage Slaw, Cognac-Mustard Sauce, and Rémoulade $12.00

Soooooooo good! Loved it!

My entree:

Coriander Dusted Grouper - cauliflower risotto, fresh English peas, crunchy sunchokes, and a yellow tomato coulis $33.00

OK - I'm not completely sure if this is the fish dish I had, but its the closet thing I can find on the menu. It's possible that they may have had a different fish special that I ordered.

Bottom line - loved it! The fish was delicate, moist, and flavorful and it still left me with enough room to enjoy......

Banana White Chocolate Toffee Tower - on Cocoa-Almond Cookie and Bananas Foster $9.00

Oh - You need a close up. Here you go.....

I love the drawings in. I find them very entertaining.

I mean - who doesn't love Benji?

After lunch we headed back to my favorite photo spot

I think C and Tracy may have hit the rest room so I seriously don't know if they made it back in time for a PP picture. So I'll let that be a surprise!

Cynthia and I had a date for a special event:

TSM!

Up Next - Who Rules at TSM!

This was seriously dessert heaven on a plate!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #1187
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post

I believe that was my table last July. The one right in the foreground.

Glad you had a great waiter and a great meal.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #1188
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Hahahaha that was a great line!!! (I was pretty sure that the title was going to be SOMEHOW alcohol-related, but I had been thinking more along the lines of margaritas than champagne. So classy!! )
Old 08-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #1189
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

HA!! Did I read that right? The server said that??
Here I was thinking it was a line one of you ladies uttered, not the server!! That's a riot!!!

Great pictures!
What was the error in the subway sign? (I don't know the NYC subways at all obviously)
Old 08-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #1190
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Lovely morning at DHS, sorry the run put a damper on it. I think your Pooh looks good. I have never done the animation class but really want to try it. I don't think anyone in my family has done it. My oldest Brent needs to do it, he can actually draw. I've never been in the Writer's shop either so that is on the list for Feb. Michelle and I are going to split a carrot cake cookie. I'm suppose to pick one up for Danielle if we don't see her that day. She is suppose to take an animation class as part of her trip. They are suppose to make a small cartoon. How neat!

Love the pictures you took at the entrance of Backlot. I've never gotten a chance to do that. Good call going into One Mans Dream. Sorry the memory card stopped more photos.

Lunch sounded divine! Great food and great service.

Stay safe through the hurricane.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 08-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #1191
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Flying the friendly skies!!

Buckling up for take-off!!

That's EXCELLENT!! LOVE that story!!

Also love the fact that you enjoyed the Brown Derby- we have an ADR there for our November trip, and I have always enjoyed it in the past- although it does seem to be plagued by mixed reviews. And i had no idea they offered champagne flights...hmmmm...I know an old college roomate who was my MOH who would LOVE that!! Maybe that will have to be on the ADR list for next May before our cruise (Lonnie isn't cruising, but I am staying at BCV with her for 2 nights prior).

I've been updating my cruise TR all day, like you- maybe I should go and do a DISmom update, too....waiting for the hurricane to come in. It's supposed to get bad here at midnight through noon tomorrow- are you getting wind yet?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #1192
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Sorry Irene is messing with your plans. The baseball game we were supposed to go to tomorrow got canceled! The boys weren't happy but luckily we got tickts to today's game instead - crisis averted!

Can you believe it???? The only weekend all summer that we thought we were going away. We are hoping that things clear up/ work out and we can go to Williamsburg on Monday.

So glad your boys are getting to go to the baseball game today!!!!!

Quote:

Day 6 sounds like it got off to a good start - after you recovered from your run! I love the animation class! I hope we can fit it into our November visits to DHS.

The animation class is so fun. Do your boys like it? I know my boys never had an interest in it, nor does my DH Denny. One trip her escaped by running off to the BR right before it started.

Day 6 was a lot of fun!

Quote:

Stay safe this weekend! I'm off to see if I can buy a couple extra gas cans to fill up for our generator!
Thanks! So far just a lot of rain and some wind. Nothing terribly dramatic, but its supposed to get a lot worse tonight. Trying to get my replies done now before the power goes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Writer's Stop has a very good white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, if you like those. It's usually nice and quiet in there - a good place to sit and snack away from the heat and crowds.
Of COURSE I like those! I had no idea it was so nice and quiet in there. I am definitely going back. I'll have a hard time choosing what I want for my snacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I think your Winnie the Pooh came out just fine. It's way better than anything I would come out with.
Thanks! But I doubt that! No matter how my characters turn out, I still have a ton of fun drawing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeste. View Post
I love the Wirter's Stop it's so quiet & nice..the bakery looks delicous, but when we went there last time I had just eaten. Next time, I'll have to try the carot cake cookie!
Everything did look so yummy! I'm surprised I didn't buy anything while I was there, but I guess I was anxious to get over to RnR. Then I was too lazy to walk all the way back over there.

That carrot cake cookie is definitely high on my list. That and the macadamia nut that MeMom just mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeste. View Post
Aww, I love your Pooh drawing! My Tigger drawing is way worse!
I doubt that! Tigger would be fun to draw, but I really love to draw Eeyore. He's my favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Stay safe this weekend, Mary Ellen and Christine! (And anyone else in Irene's path -- Tracy are you on the east or west side of the state?)
Thanks Jackie! So far, so good. Lots of rain, but I don't think the badness has started yet. I hope the rest of the ladies are good - especially Melissa on Long Beach Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
That's funny- we drew Pooh, too! I love that animation class- I had never done it before last year, and I will never miss it again- I have delusions that I will one day hang all of my "art" on my walls....well, we'll see about that, but so far I've done Mickey, Eeyore & Pooh- and I think you did GREAT on your Pooh!!
Thanks!!

Wow - you got to do Eeyore! I love him!!!!!! It would be fun to frame them and hang them. The pictures make such a nice souvie! It's definitely high on my list of things to do. I wonder if I can get Nick to draw with me in December - probably not!

Quote:

And I definitely am looking forward to your tale of how you stay so happy!!
Well - by now you have read the punch line. It was pretty freaking funny!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Love the DHS day you all had and that shirt sure made an impact!

It was a great day. the only thing that would have made it better would have been if Star Tours was in a soft opening, but that didn't happen until the following week. Such a bummer! But at least I have something to look forward to!

Quote:

The pictures of Writer's Stop look soo good - I can't wait to visit on our trip. I also think your pic of Pooh turned out good.

You must visit the Writer's Stop - it is so cool in there. I fell in love at first sight. I'm sure I've been in there before, but I didn't stay long or look around. Book did I miss out!

Glad you like my pooh.

Quote:

Look forward to hearing how this TR got it's name and hope you all stay safe
Come back and read the punch line (if you haven't already). Sorry it took me all day to get there!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #1193
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
MEK, I think your Pooh turned out pretty darn good (look at this way...he wasn't on steroids, but he had just finished a big thing of honey).
Good one Kathy! Yes - that's it - his cheeks are full of honey!!!!! That must be it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post

Your pictures, as always, are absolutely spectacular. Sorry you had so much trouble catching up with the rest of the crew, but glad you got a last photopass picture with Melissa.
So glad I saw Melissa before she left. I actually think people split up and everyone went their own separate ways. It would have been fun for a group ride on RnR or ToT, but it didn't happen. Oh well - Lunch made up for it!

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Aww, your Winnie the Pooh came out very nice!!! Mine would have been an unrecognizable blob, for sure!
Stop. No it wouldn't! Glad you appreciate my pudgy cheek Pooh!

Quote:

Hoping you found a new memory card quickly!!
Thank goodness I did. You know I would have gone into camera withdraw without one!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe770 View Post
I thought your Pooh was pretty good too. Thanks for the tour. It is a nice distraction today. I've been there with the full memory card. Ugh!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the tour. I will admit that the DIS boards can be a great distraction. I plan to catch up on everyone else's TRs until the power goes out!!!!!

The full memory card was a bummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe770 View Post
Personal note. I'm in Magnolia about 2 miles from the bay just past DAFB. The wind is getting bad here already. I just bathed the kiddies(and myself) in anticipation of no hot water for a few days. Hopefully I get the laundry finished before we loose power.

~Dawn
OK - I remember that now. I know there's a few Delaware people on the boards, but I can never keep straight who lives where. I hope things are going well there for you. I know Dover already got a couple of inches of water - twice as much as Wilmington.

I made everyone take showers too - and our bath tubs are filled incase we need that water to flush the toilets. And I did all my laundry. My DH has the AC turned to freezing for when the AC goes out.

You must be so excited for your trip which is only a month away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I believe that was my table last July. The one right in the foreground.

That's so funny! I think Denny and I sat at that same table once, as well. Popular spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Glad you had a great waiter and a great meal.
We did. It was great! My meal pictures reminded me of how totally fabulous it was!

Quote:
Hahahaha that was a great line!!! (I was pretty sure that the title was going to be SOMEHOW alcohol-related, but I had been thinking more along the lines of margaritas than champagne. So classy!! )
It was hysterical. Really. He just threw it out there so matter of factly! He must deal with families, kids, stuffy people all day long. Obviously we looked like a group where he could tell us what he really thought! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
HA!! Did I read that right? The server said that??
Here I was thinking it was a line one of you ladies uttered, not the server!! That's a riot!!!
Oh yeah - He totally did and he had just STARTED his shift. Imagine the one-liners as the day goes on. I have a feeling he enjoys a good flight here and there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Great pictures!
What was the error in the subway sign? (I don't know the NYC subways at all obviously)
I don't remember!!!!! I just know she pointed it out in one of her past TR's and it made sense.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #1194
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
Lovely morning at DHS, sorry the run put a damper on it. I think your Pooh looks good. I have never done the animation class but really want to try it. I don't think anyone in my family has done it. My oldest Brent needs to do it, he can actually draw. I've never been in the Writer's shop either so that is on the list for Feb.
Aww - Thanks!

You must try the animation class. I can't imagine you and your family not loving it. It's really a fun and novel attraction and you really can't mess it up that bad.

Quote:
I've never been in the Writer's shop either so that is on the list for Feb. Michelle and I are going to split a carrot cake cookie. I'm suppose to pick one up for Danielle if we don't see her that day. She is suppose to take an animation class as part of her trip. They are suppose to make a small cartoon. How neat!
You will love the Writer's stop - its so cute! You must stop there. I'll taste test the carrot cake cookie for you in December.

The animation class for Danielle sounds awesome - a whole cartoon - that is very cool!!!!!

Quote:
Love the pictures you took at the entrance of Backlot. I've never gotten a chance to do that. Good call going into One Mans Dream. Sorry the memory card stopped more photos.
I see we are both going to end up with similar things on our trip itineraries! I'll see if I can talk Denny into the Backlot tour. That is if I'm not too busy riding Star Tours over and over and over again!

Quote:

Lunch sounded divine! Great food and great service.
It really was. That's my third time there and I have had excellent food every time!

Quote:
Stay safe through the hurricane.
Thanks - I know things are going to get a lot worse, but I am listening to the mayor of Philadelphia and he is scaring the crap out of me. He's warning people they may be out of power for weeks. WEEKS?????

Quote:
Flying the friendly skies!!

Buckling up for take-off!!

That's EXCELLENT!! LOVE that story!!

I knew you would totally appreciate that story! You would have loved our server. He was great!!!!!!

Quote:

Also love the fact that you enjoyed the Brown Derby- we have an ADR there for our November trip, and I have always enjoyed it in the past- although it does seem to be plagued by mixed reviews. And i had no idea they offered champagne flights...hmmmm...I know an old college roomate who was my MOH who would LOVE that!! Maybe that will have to be on the ADR list for next May before our cruise (Lonnie isn't cruising, but I am staying at BCV with her for 2 nights prior).

Go Lonnie! You guys will have a blast. Please wear the tiaras again. And you are tempting me with talks of May, but I am definitely going in June so I know I can't swing it.

I have eaten at Brown Derby three times and its been great every time. The mixed reviews surprise me. I love it. It's especially nice for lunch, but it does cut into park time!

Quote:

I've been updating my cruise TR all day, like you- maybe I should go and do a DISmom update, too....waiting for the hurricane to come in. It's supposed to get bad here at midnight through noon tomorrow- are you getting wind yet?
Now it starting to get a little bit bad in the short amount of time I have been doing replies.

I am going to find that TR now.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #1195
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

GREAT story!! I love how some CMs just nail it with service!

Everything looked fabulous, just like i thought it would, BD is one of my favorites for sure!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #1196
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
GREAT story!! I love how some CMs just nail it with service!
He totally did. He was hands down my favorite server of the trip. Just a lot of fun and totally efficient. He had a great laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post

Everything looked fabulous, just like i thought it would, BD is one of my favorites for sure!
It was an excellent meal. Kind - of sorry I didn't make an ADR there for December. Nick would love it!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #1197
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

You said-
I have eaten at Brown Derby three times and its been great every time. The mixed reviews surprise me. I love it. It's especially nice for lunch, but it does cut into park time!

ME TOO!!! I remember going there YEARS ago and feeling like it was the only AMAZING meal you could get!

The rain just got a little heavier, we are probably moving T&T downstairs (& us) for sleeping (Sean already does)- I think it's gonna be crazy, but I hope it will all be ok for all of us!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #1198
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You said-
[COLOR="Blue"]I
ME TOO!!! I remember going there YEARS ago and feeling like it was the only AMAZING meal you could get!

The rain just got a little heavier, we are probably moving T&T downstairs (& us) for sleeping (Sean already does)- I think it's gonna be crazy, but I hope it will all be ok for all of us!
The first time I went there I only thought it was a notch about a regular TS restaurant, but I definitely think its hitting signature status. Maybe the other restaurants are going down hill. I don't know. I love it. My meal was fabulous and the portions were perfect. I'm glad we decided to eat there. We were actually supposed to eat at CMC cafe, but we changed to a lunch ADR at the last minute.

Our think our rain is getting heavier now too. I just heard the first high pitched whoosh. Denny predicts we are going to lose power "any time now". Great Denny!! Maybe I should plug my phone back in and charge it AGAIN!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #1199
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We had such a disappointing time at the Derby the one and only time we went, but our waiter had a LOT to do with that. I am so glad to see that you had a great waiter.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #1200
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

What a fun waiter that you had!

i loved the picyures of America, I like that area, but didn't take many photos. I enjoyed seeing it again through your lens.

I'm down to TEN days before our trip!!!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: