Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #1172
sunny_stace
DIS Veteran

That darn Irene...she really is stirring up a lot of trouble...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #1173
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe770 View Post
I think I'll follow that suggestion too. Thanks.

MEK- Be safe this weekend. It looks like it's going to be a cat 2 when it hits us. That is a little unsettling to me. I would prefer the tropical storms we usually end up getting over a cat 2. Hope my house and my nerves) can take it.
You too Chloe! I don't remember if you told me where you live, but I'm pretty close to the Delaware Bay (about 5 miles). The roads around me don't usually flood out, but we have had some problems with one side of our basement getting wet. And we have had down spout problems. Yesterday we got everything off the deck, cut down tree branches, and tried to grade the ground near the area of our basement that gets wet. We also got tons of water, ice, batteries, ect. One of my friends took a picture of the shelves in our super walmart - EMPTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Hey Mary Ellen-

Bless your heart! I'm not sure I'd leave my house either, EVEN with maybe having to lose some $$, with the storm being there! And I know what it's like to be unfocused, so much that you can't write even replies. I'm in the middle of that with some heavy-ish stuff PLUS the normal extreme busy-ness of summer going on. Keep up posted, Dear!
That's how I felt yesterday. Really unfocused. I am normally pretty type A (aren't we all?) and I hate having things up in the air.

Our prep is pretty much done - so now all we do is wait for Irene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Congrats on getting your son out there! I just sent mine BACK off today to Kentucky, and it does get easier. Hope he has a really wonderful experience despite no orientation.
To be honest with you - he wasn't really looking forward to the orientation because it was a lot of "cutesy" things they had planned. He was looking forward to the convocation speaker because they all read her book. My son does better with less orientation. Get the essentials and GO.

Thank you for the well wishes. I hope he really likes school. fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Hey ME-
Very happy to hear you got the room set up and everything, but I am so sorry about your change in plans- I hope everything works out, including rescheduling with the owner of the Williamsburg timeshare.
Thanks Ellen. I am trying to get the Williamsburg stay rescheduled for this upcoming week. I didn't plan on taking all next week off from work, but now I might have to. Darn!

I really DO need my summer vacation, despite the fact that its not a "real" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post

Good luck with the Hurricane- I don't want to leave my house this weekend, either! YIKES!! This is some crazy stuff, huh?
It is really crazy. I just wish it would start now so we can get it over with. All this anticipation is killing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Oh no! Sorry to read that Irene is messing up your travel plans.
Well, at least I don't have a flight to Disney this weekend. Although, I wish I had left to go there last night.

Stay safe Glenn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_stace View Post
That darn Irene...she really is stirring up a lot of trouble...
It crazy. I am watching the news and looking at pictures of the jersey shore - completely empty! I just wonder where all these people evacuate to. Crazy, indeed!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #1174
MEK
DIS Veteran

How do you think we got this name? Part 1

Disney Day 6!!!!!!!! So, Have you been wondering how we got our Trip Report Title? Or did you forget about it? Or maybe you really don't care.

Well - I'll tell you this. It happened on Day 6. Whether I can get that far into my updates today remains to be seen. I don't do my updates ahead of time. I just get on here and post. Whatever happens, happens. I like the spontaneity!

I started Day 6 with a run. I don't remember exactly which direction I went first. I did the Boardwalk loop, but that's pretty much all I remember. I'm sure I must have gone further, but I've blanked. I know when I got back to the room I felt like crap. We were all supposed to meet in the lobby and head over to HS together, but I told Cynthia to go ahead without me. I needed about another 10 minutes just to sit on my bed and chill in the room until I felt better. I was really have a hard time with the running. I still blamed it on my recent illness and, of course, the heat.

Today was Melissa's last day. She had been in the world for almost a week and after 50 trillion phone calls from her family, it was time for her to go. We were certainly going to miss her, but at least she would be able to spend the morning with us at HS.

So once I recovered from the insult that is called "my run", I set out to the boat dock. It was hot out there and I decided to leave my camera in its bag. However, a man waiting for the boat had a shirt on that really caught my eye.

I love this shirt. It seriously had me laughing out loud. So I snuck a picture with my cell

Then I told him how much I liked his shirt (and mumbled under my breath -"and it will appear on the DIS boards".)

Still being too lazy to take my camera out, I decided to snap a few more cell phone pix on the way to HS.

A few of them actually turned out OK

Are we there yet?

I have mixed feelings about the boat to HS.

It's fast - YES!

It's hot and claustrophobic, too! I am always happy to get off of it and take a deep breath.

When I arrived at HS I headed straight back to get my TSM FP. The ladies were getting theirs just as my boat was docking. I texted them when I was done obtaining my FP, but everyone had dispersed. Melissa hit me back and said she was at the Writer's stop, so I headed there first. But I never found her. Apparently I just missed her. Bummer!

Cynthia raves about this place and I certainly fell in love with its appeal.

Plus, as you can see, there was no one there (including Melissa).

And the food - WOW - they had some really yummy looking items.

And

And

I've heard that carrot cake cookie is quite good and I will definitely be spending some snack credits here in December.

On my way out I had to take this picture:

Why? Because there was actually no one in the car and how often does that happen? NEVER!

But since none of my compadres where to be found, I decided to get my ride on. I missed out on riding RnR on my last two trips - A combination of bad timing and long standby lines. I decided not to let that happen again. So off I went to the single rider line and I literally walked on.

Ironically, they tried to sit me in the last row (again ) and I asked to be moved up further. I was still nervous about having my headache come back. I don't do well in the back rows - its shakes my cranium around too much. Getting old stinks!

I have no idea who I rode with. I may have ridden alone for all I remember. My photographic evidence does not help me identify my riding partner at all. See for yourself........

Helpful isn't it?

Loved the adrenaline surge. It definitely jolted me out of my morning stupor. I decided to head over to Starring Roles for a breakfast pastry and try again to find the ladies.

I was under the mistaken impression that Starring Roles had different pastries from the rest of the CS options. They did have some great looking cupcakes and such, but my pastry pretty much looks like the usual faire.

Still - it hit the spot. After 5 1/2 days in Disney I was officially addicted to sugar again.

After scarfing down my sugar dough I heard back my Tracy. We were going to meet up at the animation academy. It was time for me to get my art on.

I took a few pictures while waiting for the session to start.

It was two minutes to class time and Tracy still wasn't there. I texted her again and she said she would hit the next class. I considered waiting, but I wasn't sure what I would do for the next 1/2 hour, so in I went.

My pad:

Any guesses on who we drew?????

In case you can't identify this character (which is quite possible), it's Pooh! I actually thought this would be an easy character to draw, but it wasn't.

My Pooh just looks, well, a little misshapen or something. His face is too puffy, like he's on steroids. And maybe I should have erased that line so he doesn't look like he's wearing a retainer. Oh - that's right - there are NO erasers! Sorry Pooh!

In case you were curious - here's what Pooh should have looked like:

I did not realize you could go up at the end of class and ask for the animators drawing. I will make sure I sit in the FRONT of the class next time. All I really wanted was a rubber band and they were out! Seriously?

Well, I'm at my picture limit so I am going to start some wash (before we lose power) and go for a run (before it rains).

Back Soon with "How do you think we got this name?"

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 08-28-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #1175
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Sorry Irene is messing with your plans. The baseball game we were supposed to go to tomorrow got canceled! The boys weren't happy but luckily we got tickts to today's game instead - crisis averted!

Day 6 sounds like it got off to a good start - after you recovered from your run! I love the animation class! I hope we can fit it into our November visits to DHS.

Stay safe this weekend! I'm off to see if I can buy a couple extra gas cans to fill up for our generator!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #1176
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Writer's Stop has a very good white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, if you like those. It's usually nice and quiet in there - a good place to sit and snack away from the heat and crowds.

I think your Winnie the Pooh came out just fine. It's way better than anything I would come out with.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #1177
celeste.
DIS Veteran

I love the Wirter's Stop it's so quiet & nice..the bakery looks delicous, but when we went there last time I had just eaten. Next time, I'll have to try the carot cake cookie!
Aww, I love your Pooh drawing! My Tigger drawing is way worse!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #1178
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Stay safe this weekend, Mary Ellen and Christine! (And anyone else in Irene's path -- Tracy are you on the east or west side of the state?)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #1179
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

That's funny- we drew Pooh, too! I love that animation class- I had never done it before last year, and I will never miss it again- I have delusions that I will one day hang all of my "art" on my walls....well, we'll see about that, but so far I've done Mickey, Eeyore & Pooh- and I think you did GREAT on your Pooh!!

And I definitely am looking forward to your tale of how you stay so happy!!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #1180
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Love the DHS day you all had and that shirt sure made an impact!

The pictures of Writer's Stop look soo good - I can't wait to visit on our trip. I also think your pic of Pooh turned out good.

Look forward to hearing how this TR got it's name and hope you all stay safe
Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #1181
MEK
DIS Veteran

How Do You Think We Got this Name Part 2

I am going to keep going with my next update and then go back and do replies. I will try to keep updating through the day.

So - after the Animation Academy it looks like I met up with Melissa before she needed to leave to catch ME or her limo back to the airport.

I coerced her into a picture!

This was taken by a PP photographer with my camera.

I was sorry to see Melissa go. She was really instrumental in arranging this trip and helping to acquire all the ADRs. I think she really needed this solo trip. Hopefully it fulfilled her Disney urge through the summer. I know she is going back for F&W with Tracy and Christine and whoever else has been enabled into going. I so wish I could join them. Oh Well!

I took a few scenery pix while I had my camera out. Notice how I skillfully avoided having people in these pix.

So where was I heading to?????

Well, I decided I really wanted to do the back lot tour. I haven't done it for about 5 or 6 years and I've noticed that some DISers have gotten some cool pictures on this ride.

When I got to the queue I noticed it looked unusually long, but it appeared to be moving....At First. When I arrived I caught the tail end of an announcement, but I had idea what was said.

So I took a few pictures:

There was a lot of hype about the upcoming Pearl Harbor movie, as you can see from the pictures and items in the queue.

Then I heard the announcement again. Apparently one of the lines or trams or something was down and the ride was filling at half capacity. Well, OK I thought. Let's see if this line moves.

So I waited in line another 10 minutes before I realized that the line was barely moving. I checked the time, considered my ADR time, pondered how long it would take to get through the line and through the attraction, and decided not to wait. I figured if all went well I would be off the ride right at lunch time. If all didn't go well, I would be stuck with everyone waiting for me.

So I left. But I had a backup plan. You see - I rarely explore the streets of America, so I decided to go there and take more pictures.

Where did I take this picture? Is this at the entrance to the back lot tour?

So I present - The Streets of America

I considered asking someone to take my picture under the umbrella, but decided to move on.

This picture reminds me of our favorite DIS New Yorker Brook who adeptly pointed out the inaccuracy of this sign.

When I was done exploring the streets of America I decided to amuse myself with more pictures. I still had some time to kill before our lunch ADR. But I really didn't have enough time to do a ride. I wished I could have ducked into an AI show, but my timing was completely off.

I stopped here for a few minutes:

More time to kill (continued soon)

Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #1182
MEK
DIS Veteran

Continued

I paused to take a few pictures.

I wish I had had time for a spin on the great movie ride. But - Nope!

Then I got a brilliant idea. One that involved air conditioning. I went for a quick visit with none other than the man himself

Love this guy!

I also enjoyed looking at the changes done during the remodel. I was alone. I had a camera. I could take as many pictures as I wanted (or so I thought)

This is COOOOOOOL.........

One More

And then click......nothing. What? Click.......nothing.

Could It be????? Could I have actually filled my mega big memory card?????? Was that possible????? Yup - I had used that card to take Brian's prom pictures and then all my Disney pictures.

Now I was in desperate need of a memory card. Would I find one in time for lunch? and

How Did We Get this Name for our Trip Report title????

Coming Up today!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #1183
KatMark
DIS Veteran

MEK, I think your Pooh turned out pretty darn good (look at this way...he wasn't on steroids, but he had just finished a big thing of honey).

Your pictures, as always, are absolutely spectacular. Sorry you had so much trouble catching up with the rest of the crew, but glad you got a last photopass picture with Melissa.

RIP Genie
Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #1184
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Aww, your Winnie the Pooh came out very nice!!! Mine would have been an unrecognizable blob, for sure!

Hoping you found a new memory card quickly!!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #1185
chloe770
Isn't it just more fun to be surprised?
Without SpongeBob I would never get anything done

I thought your Pooh was pretty good too. Thanks for the tour. It is a nice distraction today. I've been there with the full memory card. Ugh!

Personal note. I'm in Magnolia about 2 miles from the bay just past DAFB. The wind is getting bad here already. I just bathed the kiddies(and myself) in anticipation of no hot water for a few days. Hopefully I get the laundry finished before we loose power.

~Dawn

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: