Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #91
Monknmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
Thanks for reading! I hope you have a much better time driving down than we did. Yes, DW did have the baby back in April. I was keeping it a secret until the end of the report, but then again, my signature gives it away.
I know sorry I always jump ahead even in books I read the beginning, end, middle! I will keep it a secrete!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #92
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monknmom View Post
I know sorry I always jump ahead even in books I read the beginning, end, middle! I will keep it a secrete!
well, whether you read this frontwards, backwards, or jumping around, I am just very happy to have people reading it at all!!

I am working on the next update as I write this... it will be up shortly. I promise.

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #93
baseballmickey
DDC #644

WDW Day 3, Magic Kingdom on NYE, Part 1

We woke up that Friday morning knowing that for the first time in forever, we’d be celebrating New Year’s Eve together, and away from home. We were all still sick. I now had a cough to go with my sniffles, DW was still congested, and DD was not sniffling as much, but she still had that cough… and every time we heard it, we couldn’t help but worry.

In no condition to push ourselves, we took our time getting up and out of the resort that morning, knowing that it was going to be a long day. We set out for the park, already in a festive mood. The weather was cool, so DD and I were wearing light jackets, and DW a hoodie, to go along with our festive hats, and we would wear them all day long!!

We took the most popular route to the park because we wanted to see the entrance sign and get some pics.

Having already ridden the monorail the day before, we opted for the Ferry. I like to take the Ferry at least once during a trip. If you’ve never taken the ferry, I highly recommend doing so at least once! As we approached MK, you could see the top of the Christmas tree on Main Street, USA.

It was around 9:30 when we finally passed through security. A train was just pulling into the Main Street station as we walked underneath. DW snatched up some guide maps and we emerged into Town Square. The most striking difference to me from previous visits was the music. The usual MSUSA sountrack had been replaced with Christmas music. The song was “Caroling Caroling”. We walked out into Town Square a bit before stopping to take in the scene.

You might expect Disney to be more themed or maybe more over-the-top with its tree, but I think it was tastefully done.

As we stopped by the tree and looked up Main Street toward the castle, we saw the horse drawn trolley coming down with some street performers on it. It came to a stop in front of us, and the performers got out to dance.

This is a view looking back down Main Street toward the tree. No, we're not leaving! We're just getting started!

After all the hype about it being “the busiest day of the year” for MK, the crowd didn’t seem bad. We had seen much worse on our previous trip right before Easter. There were character greetings going on, and they all had the typical lines, but our first order of business was breakfast, so we continued up Main Street, pausing to get our picture…

And here’s DD and DW taking a small rest on line at the Main Street Bakery. I share this pic for 2 reasons. First, because it's the best I've seen DD and DW look since we left NY 4 days earlier. Secondly, to prove that we hadn't even made it up Main Street, and both of them had broken the "wear your hat all day" rule.

For the record, my hat was still on. After breakfast, we headed for Fantasyland, with the occasional stop for a pictures

Okay, so you're probably getting the sense that this is going to be a picture heavy day. I hope you are enjoying them. I am trying to include pictures that also might give you a sense of what the crowd was like. I am almost at the limit for this post, so I want to squeeze this last picture in.

I had been to WDW during the holidays once before, as a kid, although I don't remember it at all. I dug up this picture of my family on Main Street USA. My best guess is that this is December, 1979 (or 1980 if I am wrong). As you can see, the decorations are much the same... mickey wreaths on the lampposts, wreaths strung across Main Street, and you can see part of the tree in town square.

And in case you are wondering, I am front row, first on the left, with the Kenny G. haircut.

I think this is a good spot to pause before we continue into...

Fantasyland!

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!

Last edited by baseballmickey; 07-14-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: ETA link to next post
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #94
Monknmom
DIS Veteran

YAY DD is starting to feel better! And DW too.. I hope she continues up! I like how picture heavy you are it gives me a sense for my vacation this year!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #95
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Love, love, love the update!!! Especially all of the photos! Seeing all of the Christmas decor in your pics has me so excited to go on our quick get-away in December. Actually, yesterday, I was considering just canceling it. Now, you have me wanting to see if I can talk my husband into adding just 1 more day! Can't wait to hear more & see more pics!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #96
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Love the pics! Keep 'em coming--can't wait to see more of MK dressed up for the holidays. Glad DW and DD were feeling a little better!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #97
dekkerdisneydreamer
Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

Never worry about picture heavy posts!! We DISers are nothing but picture hounds!

l love the festive hats, hopefully the make another appearance with DD & DW! That is a really great picture, by the way, I hope that they remain feeling better.

Nice retro pic!! You've got the look in that picture like "You talkin to me?" Sorry I had to.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #98
Señor DonDuck
DIS Veteran

Picture heavy posts are always welcome, especially when they are Christmas decoration photos!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #99
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monknmom View Post
YAY DD is starting to feel better! And DW too.. I hope she continues up! I like how picture heavy you are it gives me a sense for my vacation this year!
Glad I can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Love, love, love the update!!! Especially all of the photos! Seeing all of the Christmas decor in your pics has me so excited to go on our quick get-away in December. Actually, yesterday, I was considering just canceling it. Now, you have me wanting to see if I can talk my husband into adding just 1 more day! Can't wait to hear more & see more pics!
canceling??? are you out of your MIND???!!?!?!?!!

I so wish we had spent more time there. Even as I am writing this, I can't believe it's almost over. In hindsight I wish we had skipped Christmas at home and had a longer stay at WDW. maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Love the pics! Keep 'em coming--can't wait to see more of MK dressed up for the holidays. Glad DW and DD were feeling a little better!
Thanks! I'll do my best to keep them coming then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerdisneydreamer View Post
Never worry about picture heavy posts!! We DISers are nothing but picture hounds!

l love the festive hats, hopefully the make another appearance with DD & DW! That is a really great picture, by the way, I hope that they remain feeling better.

Nice retro pic!! You've got the look in that picture like "You talkin to me?" Sorry I had to.
Thanks! glad you're enjoying the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor DonDuck View Post
Picture heavy posts are always welcome, especially when they are Christmas decoration photos!
great! i'll see what else I have for you!

DISDad #644

Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #100
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

Last night I was reading your TR and my daughter came out and told me that I had a problem and needed help...Seems she thinks I'm addicted to reading other peoples trip reports. This is what gives me that bit of Disney Magic that I need to keep me going in between trips, and it's has been too long since I walked under the train station into the Magic Kingdom myself. So let me say a HUGE THANK YOU.
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream

Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #101
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by usd2bmd View Post
Last night I was reading your TR and my daughter came out and told me that I had a problem and needed help...Seems she thinks I'm addicted to reading other peoples trip reports. This is what gives me that bit of Disney Magic that I need to keep me going in between trips, and it's has been too long since I walked under the train station into the Magic Kingdom myself. So let me say a HUGE THANK YOU.
YOU'RE WELCOME!! Thank you so much for reading!!

DISDad #644

Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #102
baseballmickey
DDC #644

WDW Day 3, Magic Kingdom on NYE, Part 2.

Before the commercial break, we were on Main Street USA and heading for Fantasyland... and I'm still wearing my hat!!!

You know, as far back as I can remember, we always went to Adventureland first. But that all changed when DD came along... now we have to head straight through to Fantasyland and then we usually end up going back several times throughout the day.

First up, we grabbed FPs for Winnie the Pooh. It was about 10:30ish and our window opened at 11:30... so that gave us some time to do a couple of DD's other favorites.

First ride of the day, Cinderella's Golden Carousel... No, wait, make that Prince Charming Regal Carousel. When did that happen?? apparently over the summer. Well, I suppose since they're married... what's his is hers and what's hers is his. Whatever the name, it's a classic and DD always enjoys it.

Tried to talk DW out of getting up on the horse. But she did it anyway. Getting off the horse, she told me that was her exercise for the day.

Exiting the ride, I grab a shot of the oft-neglected and underappreciated backside of the castle.

Next up, we headed over to another ride that should be easy to get on without waiting too long... It's a Small World. From this picture, you can see that you now board from the LEFT instead of the right side. This felt a little weird, I must admit. I like to consider myself an easy-going kind of guy, but I guess after boarding this ride from the right side all my life... I imagine this might be similar to what it feels like for the English when they come to America and have to drive on the opposite side of the car??? lol.

I'll spare you the pics I took from inside the ride otherwise I won't be able to fit the rest in this post. But I had to make an exception for this one:

umm... did anybody lose a shoe??? It looks like it's a left shoe. No sign of its partner. That was the last we saw of the shoe, so if it was yours, please inquire with Lost and Found.

anyway... moving on...

Believe it or not, but those two rides ate up most of the hour we had to wait for our FP window to open... so we walked back toward Winnie the Pooh, on they way we ran into CMs handing out hula-hoops. DD just had to give this a try...

Now, don't let the picture fool you. It looks as though she's rocking that hula hoop... but in reality all she could manage was to spin it around herself while she stood still and let it go all the way to the ground. It was pretty hysterical. All the CMs got a kick out of her.

We finally got her to give up the hoop and we moved on to Winnie the Pooh. Since we had FPs, we didn't get to go through the new activity area that is part of the stand-by line. We did see a bit of it though, and it looks cool.

Here is part of the play area. It's smaller than the original, but it still has the treehouse as well as some new activities. You can see that if your kid(s) is(are) out in the play area, you'll have to be able to reel him/her/them back into the line at some point.

Also added are interactive screens where you can wipe away the honey that is pouring down to reveal characters underneath. These are further along the line and separate from the play area.

It's a cool addition to the line, but I know DW and I will miss having the separate Pooh's Playful Spot across the way. It was such a good place for us to get off our feet for a few minutes while DD ran around. We even used that to keep DD occupied while one of us waited on line to see characters like Pooh and friends nearby, or Ariel when her Grotto was open.

Of course, we're excited to see the new Fantasyland once everything is open. Perhaps we'll forget all about the ol' playful spot then??

We came out of the Pooh ride with about 15 minutes or so to spare before the Once Upon a Christmas Parade was due to start. This was one of our MUST-DOs for the day. This was the first of two showings of this parade, and since DD was awake and feeling good now, we went for it. The parade was starting in Frontierland, and "our spot" for parade viewing is in Liberty Square, so we had a few extra minutes to make our way over and get settled. This was the first time the crowd size became apparent to us. Our usual spot didn't have much available. I ended up putting DD up on my shoulders and DW got a seat on the wall, while I stood. Here are DW's shots of the parade:

The parade was great. I was disappointed we couldn't get DD up front for a possible high-five from a character, but she had one of the better seats in the house from up on my shoulders. Although that did make it hard for me to videotape the parade.

When Santa made his appearance, we explained to DD that he was on vacation too. She seemed to buy it.

Well, whaddya know? I hit my limit on pics again. So I'll be stopping here to give my fingers a rest. In the next update, it will be time for lunch... and it's our one rezzie for today.

Hmm... can you guess where we'll be having lunch?

DISDad #644

Last edited by baseballmickey; 07-14-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: ETA link to next post
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #103
amandaw
DIS Veteran

More great pictures! I'm so glad your DD was starting to feel better. I sure hope that trend continued for all of y'all. I love the picture of her with the hula hoop....she is too cute!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #104
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

The Christmas parade looks like so much fun!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #105
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

I cannot wait until we go in November!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! your report is fantastic!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: