Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #61
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Luvin the pictures. I can't wait to see Disney in holiday season. I love how all the characters are decked out for Xmas as well
Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #62
heathsf
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh what a nightmare!!! My flight was cancelled in Jan due to a snowstorm but I only spent 8 hours in the airport and went right home afterwards!! We cancelled our original trip and postponed it a month. I was ready to cry when I found out my flight was cancelled after being delayed several times...but I can't imagine how heartbreaking it was to be on the plane and ready to take off!

I'm glad you didn't give up and eventually got there! Your DD really looks like she has a cold in your AK pictures *BUT* she also looks so happy to be there!! Looking forward to hearing more!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #63
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

That's horrible that the airport closed but I'm glad you finally made it there. This has kind of got me worried though, I'm living in upstate new york and I've got a trip planned for the week before Christmas. We're flying and I hope there isn't another big storm like that(I remember that storm well), if our flight gets cancelled I will cry.

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #64
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Awww....I had that after everything y'all went thru to get to WDW, y'all ended up sick, too! But, I think all of y'all were great troopers in AK. Considering that everyone was feeling under the weather, I think y'all had a pretty great day! Looking at all the Christmas decorations in your pics has me excited to go for our quick weekend in December! I hope y'all got to feeling better quickly!
The way things were going, you just knew we were all going to be sick! lol. But being there in WDW, there were times I forgot how sick we were.

I am so glad we went and got to see how WDW does christmas. A little bummed we missed out on the christmas party and some other things. But it was still great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I've never been to WDW during the holidays, so I'm loving those pics! Hope you guys ended up feeling better.
Thank you! If you ever have the chance, you have to go for the holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
Fantastic photos - I love the ones of your daughter with the characters - so cute!

Good to see you have Disney fun - despite your illnesses! Can't wait to hear more.
Thank you so much. I used to take pictures of DW with all the characters. She's been replaced!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Luvin the pictures. I can't wait to see Disney in holiday season. I love how all the characters are decked out for Xmas as well
The characters we got to see were probably the best part of the day, IMO. That's the whole reason we wanted to go for the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathsf View Post
Oh my gosh what a nightmare!!! My flight was cancelled in Jan due to a snowstorm but I only spent 8 hours in the airport and went right home afterwards!! We cancelled our original trip and postponed it a month. I was ready to cry when I found out my flight was cancelled after being delayed several times...but I can't imagine how heartbreaking it was to be on the plane and ready to take off!

I'm glad you didn't give up and eventually got there! Your DD really looks like she has a cold in your AK pictures *BUT* she also looks so happy to be there!! Looking forward to hearing more!
I'm sorry to hear you had a similar experience. It was the first (and hopefully the only) time that's ever happened to us and it was horrible. We're so lucky that DD has always been such a go-with-the-flow kid. She had some moments where she would seem out of it, but she would perk right up whenever something was happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzi6692 View Post
That's horrible that the airport closed but I'm glad you finally made it there. This has kind of got me worried though, I'm living in upstate new york and I've got a trip planned for the week before Christmas. We're flying and I hope there isn't another big storm like that(I remember that storm well), if our flight gets cancelled I will cry.
That's the crazy thing about air travel, there are so many factors involved that sometimes it's not even your airport that has the trouble that gets you delayed. I hope the weather is on your side for your upcoming trip. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR In Progress
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
Old 08-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #65
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Animal Kingdom, Part 1 has been updated with links to youtube video of Finding Nemo, the Musical.

I will repeat them here as well with a word of warning: I shot handheld, and I was coughing, sniffling, and dealing with DD next to me, so it gets a little shaky here and there. I am sure there are better videos out there, these are mine.

Finding Nemo, the Musical Part 1
Finding Nemo, the Musical Part 2
Finding Nemo, the Musical Part 3

Still to come... Jingle Jungle Parade video links and the next installment of our TR.

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR In Progress
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!

Last edited by baseballmickey; 09-02-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: ETA warning about video quality
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #66
dekkerdisneydreamer
Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

Wow, you really had some awesome character interactions. Bless your hearts, toughing it out while colds are invading your bodies! DD looks like she's truly having the time of her life!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #67
PoohGal05
DIS Veteran

I guess f you're going to be sick, Disney is THE place to be sick! I hope you all felt better into your trip. And Disney at Christmas is my dream vacation, crowds and all! :D
Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #68
FosterA
DIS Veteran

You take fantastic photos!
Whew!! so glad you guys made it safe and sound, though sick.

Keep up the report, it's very exciting
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #69
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerdisneydreamer View Post
Wow, you really had some awesome character interactions. Bless your hearts, toughing it out while colds are invading your bodies! DD looks like she's truly having the time of her life!
I know the commandos will want to revoke my status after reading this TR, but what can you do? The characters were great! hopefully we didn't get THEM sick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohGal05 View Post
I guess f you're going to be sick, Disney is THE place to be sick! I hope you all felt better into your trip. And Disney at Christmas is my dream vacation, crowds and all! :D
Some might say that Disney IS my illness. I hope you get to experience a Disney Christmas sometime soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterA View Post
You take fantastic photos!
Whew!! so glad you guys made it safe and sound, though sick.

Keep up the report, it's very exciting
Thanks! The people over in the photography forum put me to shame, but I am working on it!

DISDad #644

Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #70
baseballmickey
DDC #644

WDW Day 2, Resort Hopping Part 1

Resort Hopping

In the original plan, we would have done 3 parks by now and would have used this day to sleep in, and rest up for MK on NYE. We had some thoughts about changing things up and maybe doing Epcot or DHS instead, but we still needed the rest, and since we did get an added day on the end of the vacation, we stuck with the Resort Hopping idea.

We had read all about the gingerbread displays at the various resorts, and really wanted to see them. We had also seen a flyer in our room packet about a DVC Merry Member Mixer. We weren't sure what that was all about, but it was at the CR that afternoon, so we made a mental note to take a look if we were there when it was happening. Lastly, we had a rezzie for dinner at 1900 Park Fare.

The day before, I called over to the GF spa and was able to get DW an appointment for a pregnancy massage. Each vacation I try to do something or buy something special for DW, and this was it. The appointment wasn't until 12pm, so we were able to sleep in, and get breakfast at the SSR food court. The line at Artist's Palette was really long, so we opted to just grab muffins, bagels, and cereal from the self-serve market area and bypass the line so we wouldn't be late for DW's massage. I was surprised that the CMs were able to take our hodgepodge breakfast items and piece together counter service meals out of them for the DDP. That was cool!

We had all eaten and drank plenty of juice. DW had her nasal spray to help her breathe, and I was using the cold medicine for myself. DD was still going through tissues like we owned stock in kleenex, and had that persistent cough.

We headed over to the GF Spa, parking in the Wedding Pavilion lot. We planned on leaving the car there for the day and using the monorail to hop around the lagoon.

We dropped off DW at the spa, and then DD and I went to go walk around and kill some time. Right outside the spa, we left the path and walked up onto the white sand of the beach between the GF and the WP. DD had a good time running around for a while...

She got tired out after a while and wanted to rest. We still had some time to kill, so she got back in the stroller and I walked us down to Poly.

These are just some pics of GF, WP, and a sign in the water @ Poly.

We walked around the resort a bit and then headed to the docks to take a boat ride around the lagoon. Normally, DD would love this, but for some reason she wasn't as excited as I thought she would have been. We got on the boat anyway. I hoped maybe she would perk up once we were out on the water.

Instead DD looked miserable. By the time we reached the GF stop, she started to cry and I noticed she kept playing with her ear. She said it hurt her and didn't want me to touch it. She cuddled up against me and I just sat there holding her, trying my best to soothe her and hoping we wouldn't annoy all the other people on the boat. Thankfully most people were sympathetic and I didn't see anyone glaring at us. We rode all the way back around to Poly and then it was time to go meet up with DW.

We had a short wait at the Spa for DW to come out. She looked much better when she did! She loved her massage and wanted to know if she could come back for another before we left for home! lol.

Unfortunately, I had to burst her bubble a bit with my concern for DD. I was pretty sure she now had an ear infection to go with her cold. We were thinking about leaving and going back to SSR, but we decided to walk over to GF to see how it looked all decorated for the holiday. It was right next door and it wouldn't take long at all. Then at least we could say that we saw one of the resorts, just in case we never made it back. DD nodded off in the stroller as we headed over to the GF.

This is the christmas tree in the GF, and above on the ceiling you can see the nets holding the balloons I suspect they would drop that night at midnight on NYE.

and here's the GF Gingerbread house...

We walked around to the other side of the gingerbread house, and to my astonishment, there were CMs selling treats out of it!! You literally walked up to the window and could buy gingerbread shingles, or gingerbread men, or a few other treats. We got a little something for DD so she could have it later when she awoke from her nap in the stroller.

Okay, we might get flamed here for what happens next, but it's water under the bridge, as they say.

Instead of heading back to our room, we got greedy and decided to take advantage of DD napping in the stroller to jump on the monorail and head over to CR to see their gingerbread tree.

On the way, I had an idea to call our pediatrician back home and see if there was any way possible to get a prescription faxed to a local pharmacy. It was a longshot, but I figured it couldn't hurt. The last thing we wanted to do was to take DD to a walk-in clinic or urgent care. I reached the receptionist and made my request, hoping that the Dr. would help us out. I was told they would call me back on my cell.

In the meantime, we arrived at the CR and made our way down to the concourse level to get a closer look at the gingerbread tree.

After scoping out the gingerbread tree, we made our way to the lobby so we could go to Guest Services. I was still waiting for the pediatrician's office to call back, and I wanted to see if I could get information about nearby pharmacies, prescription deliveries, and area doctors. I guess my question was kind of complex. So the CM brought a manager out and we laid out the situation for him. He was very nice and extremely helpful. DD had woken up from her nap and he gave her some stickers. He explained all our options to us. There were pharmacies that delivered to the resorts, as well as doctors who make resort-calls. Since we had a car, we also had the option of driving to a nearby pharmacy, as well as Centra Care, which was an urgent care facility on rt. 535.

Aside from an occasional visit to first aid inside the parks, this was our first WDW medical problem, so this was all new to us. (Well, technically, this was MY second WDW medical problem, but that's a story for a different time)

So, there we were, armed with all our options, and waiting on the phone call that would determine what we did next... It didn't make sense to leave until we knew where we were going, so we decided to just hang out at the CR until the call came. We noticed it was just before 3pm, and wouldn't you know, that was the time that the DVC Merry Member Mixer was supposed to be at.

So we walked around until we found a sign, and we followed it to the mixer. And since we were waiting to find out what would happen next, I'll make you wait too.

stay tuned...

DISDad #644

Last edited by baseballmickey; 07-14-2012 at 03:11 AM. Reason: ETA link to next post
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #71
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Loving the pics of the gingerbread! I totally understand why you kept going- you were actively trying to help DD, you couldn't have been doing more if you were sitting at your resort.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #72
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

went from a adventure movie to suspense!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #73
dekkerdisneydreamer
Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

I don't think what you did is flame-worthy. Your DD was asleep, getting rest she needed, and you already called your pediatrician.

I love the GF pic with the tree and balloons at the ceiling. It really does look festive and beautiful!

So now, the suspense is killing me! I sincerely hope the pedi is sympathetic and sends down a prescription for DD. Poor thing.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #74
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Escape from New York: The Forgotten Pictures

I was in the middle of writing the newest entry, and I was mourning the loss of several pictures and some videos of this trip that I took on my old phone (I lost the phone and everything on it a few months ago)... and then I remembered that I had uploaded some of those pics to my facebook account!!

So while you wait... please enjoy "Escape from New York: The Forgotten Pictures"

Our plane:

People sleeping at JFK

Our little TSA alcove at JFK

Hotel weather forecast in Maryland

DD and DW asleep in the car

Welcome to North Carolina

Welcome to Florida!

Back to Table of Contents?

or

To Resort Hopping, Part 2...

DISDad #644

Last edited by baseballmickey; 07-14-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: ETA to add links
Old 08-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #75
kthshh
Mouseketeer

Subbing so that I can hear how it all turns out. What a vacation! It definitely deserves a trip report.

You guys are being such great sports about it all. I'm impressed.

Can't wait to read more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: