Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #16
jeenyus720
Mouseketeer

Subtract the fan and add another mattress pad
jeenyus720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #17
kmarsico
Earning My Ears

why subtract the fan? i can just add another matress pad. lol
kmarsico is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #18
jeenyus720
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarsico View Post
why subtract the fan? i can just add another matress pad. lol
The air conditioner is on 24/7 in the apartments. If you're hot just turn the air up. I don't ever remember being warm in my apartment.

Well, maybe once when these girls turned our heat on to 80 something degrees as a joke, and no one noticed until morning.

I brought a mattress pad and used it for two nights and realized i needed another. I went to walmart and picked one up. So i had two on my bed throughout my program. Those beds are uncomfortable!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #19
kmarsico
Earning My Ears

ohhhh, okay, i didnt know if the apartments had air or not. thats good to know
kmarsico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
SportsChick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB3 View Post
You are NOT allowed to bring any knives into your apt. , even for cooking. They will confiscate them. If you do bring a knife, there is an amnesty day, when you can turn it in and it will be sent home. Some CP's would get knives at Walmart and then keep them locked in their lockers when they are not using them but if let out or in a kitchen drawer when there is an inspection you are screwed. So the general feeling was, the CP's just dealt with the knives Disney provided.

Order online...bed risers from Walmart and do a ship to store order. Actually, if you are flying in...ship to store option is great, for risers, mattress pad etc. Pack some extra hangers because walmart will run out in the weeks following a mass CP arrival and you will need hangers.
that is not accurate. I had regular steak/kitchen knifes out in the open in my kitchen for 4 inspections and nothing was ever said, in fact the subject was brought up during the housing meeting.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #21
Disneyobsession138
I have a slightly unhealty obsession with Disney Word --- Live Laugh Love Disney :)

Location: Connecticut, Long Island, and Williamsburg Brooklyn

To expand on the Op's question, I was wondering if any of these things could be useful to pack, because I have them, but am not sure if I'd need them! Thanks

Measuring cup
Strainer
Spatula (flipper for like eggs or burgers)
Pans for cooking
Icepacks
Iron
Swiffer
Small area rugs
Small garbage can with a lid
Garbage bags
Plastic laundry basket (like a tall one for a closet - i also have pop up mesh ones)
Curtain panels
Rainboots

'92- Polynesian'94+'95- Grand Floridian '96+'97- Polynesian '98+'99-Yacht Club '00+'01- Polynesian '02+'03- Animal Kingdom Lodge '04- Boardwalk Villas '05+'06- Old Key West '07- Contemporary '08 - Grand Floridian '08 Old key West '10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge-Club Level! '11-Yacht Club
Disneyobsession138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #22
jeenyus720
Mouseketeer

Measuring cup- Provided
Strainer- Provided
Spatula (flipper for like eggs or burgers)- Provided
Pans for cooking- Provided
Icepacks- Yes
Iron- Yes
Swiffer- Yes
Small area rugs- Yes
Small garbage can with a lid- Try to bring a large one because the little one they give you fills up quick with 6 people living there.
Garbage bags- Yes
Plastic laundry basket (like a tall one for a closet - i also have pop up mesh ones)- Yes
Curtain panels- Not allowed (Price management will tell you to take them down)
Rainboots- Yes, but if you're doing spring 2012 its really not needed. Its the dry season in FL. It rained 3 times during my program.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #23
Amanda08
Mouseketeer

Everything I would suggest, someone else already has.
I just wanted to comment on bringing a fan or not...

I stayed in a two bedroom apt. and for some reason, one room was always a little warmer than the rest of the apt. while the other room was always a little cooler. I was in the room that was warmer. It was fine in the winter, but a little uncomfortable in the summer...and we couldn't really lower the temperature much because it would make the other room too cold.

I know one other person had the same problem (she lived in the same building, also a two bedroom). I don't know about any of the other buildings. So, it's always nice to have. Plus, if you don't need it, you could always just shove it somewhere. haha

Feel free to follow me!
www.twitter.com/AmandaE21
Amanda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #24
bluelobster
Earning My Ears

More than any single other thing, I recommend bringing *money*. You are going to get paid next to *nothing* your first two weeks, so make sure you leave home not only with enough cash to get you to Florida but enough to last you - groceries, misc. items for the apartment, etc - to last you for up to three weeks - as you won't likely see anything close to actual money until your third week on the job. Keep in mind too that you're going to be in the middle of tourist paradise, and the temptation to eat out, shop, or play in the parks is going to be VERY high.

I left home without fully realizing this. Left for Disney with about $300 cash. In the final few days before I finally got paid, I was having to borrow groceries (with their permission) from my roommates.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #25
mistyt
Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

I know it is pretty obvious, but don't forget your camera!

One of the best things I took with me (or buy when you get there ) is an accordian folder (a folder with a few pockets in it)! You will be getting lots of paper work while you are there and the folders you get are kinda flimsy. You can also keep your mail and such in there!

mistyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advise, bring, dcp, extras, packing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: