Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

San Diego Restaurant reccomendation? Drive from SD to Anaheim?

Doing a quick weekend in SD/DL August 24-28th. A few questions:

1. good place to eat dinner in SD? We are staying at the Westin San Diego downtown
  2. any tips on beating traffic north from SD to DL? We are leaving by 3pm on a Friday.
  3. Sunday, hoping to hit a beach for a bit near SD before our 5:30pm flight. Any recs on a good kid-friendly one with bathrooms? We won't have a hotel at that point, so need to be able to change clothes and clean up. Don't need big waves, looking for clean, fun, sand etc.

I have a full day workshop on Thursday and looking for dinner that night in SD. Taking hubby and my 4yo. So, first, looking for a rec on a good (kid-friendly) spot for dinner in San Diego- should we do the Gaslamp? (that's the only spot I've done before, on business)

DH will take DS to do something (maybe legoland) while I work on thursday.

Friday, we will head to tackle the zoo at opening. We hope to leave the zoo by 3pm at the latest to start the drive north to DL. We will have a rental car. Hoping to beat a little traffic by leaving that early, but I've heard it can be bad (hopefully not as bad going north?). Any recs for time to leave or tips for beating traffic or good points of interest to stop along the way to check out the coast?

We have 7:30 ADRs for Goofy's that night at Disneyland Hotel where we are staying on points for 2 nights.

Saturday, hitting Disneyland bright and early for MM and spending the whole day there.

Sunday, drive back to SD and hopefully hit a beach for a bit. Flight is at 5:30pm out of SD.

Thanks!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
exwdwcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

1. I don't have any great suggestions because other than fast food I haven't been to anything great for kids downtwon.

2. It would be great to leave before 3, but the Zoo time is valuable. Because it's Friday the traffic starts to pick up at 3, so I'd be in the car then.

3. I really have never liked the restrooms at the beaches, I think Mission Beach or Ocean Beach is a good bet. Also maybe north Mission Beach by Belmont park.

4---check on the themepark board if anyone has a Buy Adult get Free Child Legoland ticket. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2752927
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
momjkm
DIS Veteran

Dining in San Diego-with kids? suggest in-out burger, cheap easy and yummy. We loved it. We also loved Phil's BBQ on Sports Arena Blvd. Actually ate there twice. It does have long waits- we waited for 40 minutes on a Wednesday night but worth it.

We really liked La Jolla Cove. There is a nice beach there with restrooms to change in, playground area. Seals nearby too (but I think portapotties are at "seal beach") . We went to 9 different beaches when we were there last month and La Jolla was our favorite. Spent a terrific afternoon there.

Jill
momjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
ahutton
WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996

When in the downtown area with the kids we like Anthony's Fish Grotto. It has great views that captivated my kids, and DS was 4 on the last visit. Not too expensive, not too fancy but very family friendly.

La Jolla Cove and Shell Beach are both nice, and there is a huge grassy play area there. We also like Mission Beach with the kids; there are restrooms - not too fancy but functional - and showers to rinse off your feet.

4 is the perfect age for Legoland!

When driving to DL - I think there is a carpool lane exit for Disney Way - can anyone confirm that? I googled it and it says there is, but we didn't use it when we drove up because it was Saturday afternoon and traffic was light. While not perfect, the carpool lane should help your commute.

You could also check out Google Traffic - I checked it before our trip to see if I could identify how bad traffice might be and it was very accurate on where the jams were. Pull up a map of DL, zoom out and on the right side of the map click the check mark for Traffic. You can then scan down I-5 all the way to San Diego.

Proud Second Generation SwanDolphin Cheerleader
ahutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Zerosinthecloset
DIS Veteran

There are a number of family friendly restaurants in the downtown/Gaslamp district of San Diego. TGIFridays, Bucca de Beppo, Joes Crab Shack...on the bay side of the convention center, and a recently opened Hodad's around Broadway and ninth or so.
Zerosinthecloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
jmainaz
Mouseketeer

Our favorite place to go is Prado at Balboa Park.
We also have a 4-year old and have taken her there (without any problems/trouble) each year.
Grab a table outside on the patio for a great view. Walk around Balboa park before/after. You won't regret it!

-J
jmainaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: