Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Anniversary, Pregnancy, and 3.5 Generations at WDW! DxDP Update: Whispering Canyon!

We just got back from my first trip to WDW in 8 years, and I'm excited to post my very first dining review, complete with lots of pictures! We won't be visiting WDW again for at least five years because of financial reasons , so this was a very special trip for us.

Cast of Characters:

Me: 29, in the second trimester of pregnancy with our first child (the 0.5 generation ), and a Disney addict! I grew up in FL and went to WDW with my mother and grandmother pretty much every year until I went to college. DH and I currently live in Indiana, where I am studying to get my Ph.D. As soon as I finish school, we plan to move back to FL--as close to WDW as we can get!

DH: 28, a very picky eater (he hates most vegetables, weird sauces, etc.). He's from MN and has only been to WDW twice--once when he was four and the second time when he was 18. He's never stayed at an official WDW resort and was not a big Disney fan prior to the trip. Now he's okay with us visiting more often when we move to FL. DH and I were celebrating our sixth wedding anniversary on this trip (8/13).

(DH and I at Crystal Palace with Eeyore, my favorite character)

Mom: 57 and a big WDW fan. She's disabled with multiple sclerosis and used a scooter for our trip. She can walk with a cane, but only for short distances. She used Randy's Mobility and was very happy with their service.

Grandma: 83 and also a huge WDW fan. While we were planning this trip, she told me that she used to have annual passes to WDW and would take trips by herself just to stay at the Grand Floridian and eat at all of the restaurants. She was very excited to get the DxDP and to eat at the signature restaurants.

(Grandma and Mom at Crystal Palace with Tigger)

Ratings: I decided to use a simple one to five star system (one = inedible, five = the best thing ever). Mind you, not everyone conformed to my rating system (you'll see that my mom and grandma gave several "10s" at some of the signature restaurants.

The Schedule (links will be posted after I finish each review):

8/9
Artist Point

8/10
Akershus
Rose & Crown
Tokyo Dining
Epcot Snacks

8/11
Whispering Canyon Cafe (OOP)
Sci Fi Dine In Theater (DH and I)
Snacks (Hollywood Studios)
Ohana

8/12
Whispering Canyon (OOP)
Yak & Yeti (DH and I)
Grand Floridian Cafe (Mom and Grandma)
Aloha Luau (DH and I)
Narcoossee's (Mom and Grandma)

8/13
1900 Park Fare
Crystal Palace
Narcoossee's (DH and I, anniversary dinner )
Citricos (Mom and Grandma)
Snack (Dole Whip)

8/14
Chef Mickey's
Coral Reef
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Snack (napolean)

Yes, it was a lot of food, but we enjoyed all of it. DH and I are not members of the clean plate club and did not feel obliged to eat every scrap of our appetizers, entrees, and dessert, and we didn't use a lot of snack credits (I ended up using them at the end to get a bunch of Mickey rice krispie treats to take home to friends ). Anyhow, on with the food pictures...
Planning DS's First Trip December 2016!

Last edited by Buntington; 06-30-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Updating!
Buntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

Joining in...

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Check In/Artist Point

We arrived at the Wilderness Lodge late in the afternoon on 8/9 and discovered that we had been upgraded from standard view to a lovely courtyard view. I'm including a few pictures of the room and view for good measure.

Our room + bonus view of DH's legs

View from our window. It was very rainy on 8/9 and 8/10, but cleared up for the rest of our trip.

After we unpacked, we headed down to Artist Point for our first DxDP meal (2 TS per person). DH and I had received anniversary celebration buttons, which were quite fun to wear. Cast members would pass us and shout out, "Happy anniversary!" when we were least expecting it.

Artist Point dining room. You can see that it wasn't very busy. I love the dining room decor, and we had a great view of the pool area from our table.

Mom, Grandma, and I have dined at Artist Point before and loved it, so we were expecting delicious food. DH has never dined at any of the TS restaurants before, so he found the menu a bit offputting, initially. He had never tried risotto before, but decided to be brave and adventurous and ended up ordering it twice!

Menu

Menu

Menu

We received our bread first. I don't remember what kind it was, but it was good. Mom, Grandma, and I all gave it 4 stars, but DH only gave it a 3.

For her appetizer, grandma ordered the BLT. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of letting her take the picture. She doesn't know how to use a camera, so she took a picture of something black instead of the food, and by the time I realized this, the appetizer had been devoured. So no picture of the BLT, but she gave it 5 stars.

Mom and I both ordered the pear salad. We were surprised when it came with peaches instead of pears, but it was still delicious. The dressing was very nice and reminded me of the House dressing at Maggiano's. I gave it a 4 and Mom gave it 5.

DH bravely ordered the crab risotto. I sampled it and thought the blood orange sauce was absolutely divine. DH discovered that he likes risotto, but did not like the blood orange sauce quite as much, so he gave it a 4.

Entrees and desserts in the next post...
Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Congrats on your .5!

Edited: You posted the start of AP as I was posting. It was our favorite restaurant last trip and the one we are most looking forward to in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see the entrees!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Artist Point (Continued)

For our entrees, Mom and I both ordered the halibut. I had never had halibut before, so I figured I might as well try it. It was perfectly cooked--not too dry, but flaky, and the flavor was excellent. We both gave it 5 stars.

DH liked the risotto so much that he ordered the scallops and tomato risotto for his entree. He also gave this a 4. He loved the scallops and risotto, but did not like the tomatoes contaminating his food (did I mention that DH is picky?).

Grandma got the salmon, which is the signature dish at AP. She gave this a 5. I hate salmon, and she convinced me to try a bite of hers by swearing up and down that it did not taste like salmon. I tried it and thought it still tasted like salmon. At any rate, she devoured it and thought it was some of the best salmon she's ever had.

Dessert Menu:

For our desserts, Mom and I got the berry cobbler. This was piping hot and melts-in-your-mouth delicious. The ice cream on top was the perfect combination with the slightly tart fruit and sweet, hot cobbler. I gave it 5 stars, and Mom began ignoring my ratings system by giving it a 6 on a scale of 1 to 5.

DH ordered the no sugar added mousse. He doesn't like cobbler, and none of the other desserts appealed to him (all too weird ). He didn't really like this and gave it 3 stars. He said the mousse didn't have a lot of flavor (maybe because it was no sugar added?).

Grandma got the peach upside-down cake. This was moist and delicious, and she gave it a 5. The caramel drizzle was a nice accompaniment to the cake.

Finally, our server surprised us with a special anniversary cupcake! We didn't rate this, but I think I'd give it a 5. The frosting was scrumptious and the cake was moist and flavorful. As you can see, we had already eaten half of it before it occurred to me to take a picture. DH ended up eating most of this instead of the dessert he had ordered.

Overall, we all thought Artist Point was wonderful. The service was prompt, the food was delicious, and the presentation was also very nice. I definitely plan on eating at AP every time we visit WDW in the future.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
I'm in! Congrats on your .5!

Edited: You posted the start of AP as I was posting. It was our favorite restaurant last trip and the one we are most looking forward to in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see the entrees!
Thanks!

After this week, I have to say that Artist Point is still my favorite restaurant...although Narcoossee's was a very close second. I know people have posted about the restaurants declining in quality, but I really thought AP was just as good this time as it was back in 2003. I hope your meal is just as delicious as ours was!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Great review and pics of Artist Point! It's one of my absolute favorite WDW restaurants.

Sorry that DH didn't really enjoy the berry mousse. It was actually my favorite dessert on my past trip - I thought it had the tartness of berries, the subtle sweetness of banana, the creaminess of the vanilla ice cream on the side (at least it was vanilla when I had it) and a wonderfully light texture. Because the mousse was light after a heavy meal, I actually preferred it to the berry cobbler, which I also love.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Your family is adorable! Thank you for sharing your reviews. Artist Point is amazing. Can't wait to eat, er, I mean read more.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
TinkandGoofy'sMom
DIS Veteran

Great start! Congratulations on your baby!

Aug 2008 POP
Dec 2009 POFQ
Jan 2011 POP
Oct 2011 AKV-Kidani
Jan 2012 OKW
Aug 2012 BWV & AKV
Oct 2012 sisters only at AKV-Kidani
Jan 2013 AKV-Jambo
Aug 2013 AKV & BLT
Up Next: Aulani Summer 2014
DVC owner @ AKV and SSR
TinkandGoofy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Definitely subscribing!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

Great reviews soo far! I'm in!
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Your meal at Artist Point looks delicious! I'm looking forward to more of your reviews!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
GoofyontheHiSeas
Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats left

Congratulations! Looks like we had almost the exact same dinner at AP. We all loved it.
GoofyontheHiSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
reking96
Mouseketeer

Count me in as well. =)

reking96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dxdp dining review

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: