Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
mshoagie
Earning My Ears

Honeymoon: Coronado or POFQ

My fiance and I are headed to Disney on the 2nd leg of our honeymoon-1st let is Key West- in November. Together we have stayed in the Coronado Springs and Saratoga Springs Resorts. We have been happy with both, but preferred the Coronado and were going to book it for our honeymoon. However, my sister and a few others highly recommend Port Orleans French Quarter. I do like the boat service to Downtown Disney and the proximity to Epcot. So I ask you guys for advice...Coronado Springs or POFQ??? Thanks for your help!
mshoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Boo Bear
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! I'm curious as well
Boo Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

While we have really enjoyed staying at POFQ, and certainly the boat to DTD is a real plus, I would recommend that you return to CSR. It seems that little bit more special; more sophisticated and romantic.(JMHO) I really like the subtlety of the Disney theming, and the landscaping and other features of the public areas are very beautiful. On a honeymoon, I love the thought of strolling around the lake at night. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Turk February
DIS Veteran

I actually have to disagree and say that I think POFQ is the way to go! The small size of the resort and the immaculate grounds make it really the place incredibly romantic and really charming. The cobblestone roads, horse drawn carriages, boat to DTD, newly refurbished rooms and jazz music just make this place the best. There is a certain quality at POFQ that really doesn't come across in the pictures and videos online. It's the smallest resort and after staying at both FQ and Coronado, IMO it really matters. I love how no matter where you're staying at FQ, you're less than a 5 minute walk from everything at the resort. As you know already, that's not the case at Corondo.

I vote for FQ, and if you don't end up staying there, I really suggest you at least take the time to go check it out, because it's really special.
February 2011 - CSR
Christmas 2011 - Contemporary (MK View)
April 2013 - AKL Kidani Village (Savanna View)
October 2014 - POP Century
Childhood - March '83, March '84, November '84, January '87, August '87, October '87
Turk February is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

I actually stayed at POFQ on my honeymoon and I have to say... we loved it there. It is a MUCH smaller resort than CSR and you don't have the craziness of conventions going on so it feels more personal. Not to mention.. they just upgraded all the rooms so that is a def plus! It was nice to hop on the boat over to DTD whenever we wanted. The bus system seemed to be decent and we got great service! I would definitely say POFQ! And you have access to POR if you want!
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We love CSR and have celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary there (as well as numerous birthdays, etc.). We find it very romantic with the courtyards, the hammocks on the beach, the outdoor Laguna Bar and the Rix Lounge where they have a DJ on the weekends.

The CSR is the only moderate resort we've stayed at. If it were not available, we would go with POR-Riverside over POFQ. We love the jazz bar at POFQ (we've gone a couple of times) and taken the boat to DTD, but we don't like the fact that it has no quiet pools and a really small hot tub (both very important to us)0.

Personally, I'd go with CSR or POR-Riverside.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Belle83
DIS Veteran

POFQ!!

You get to try a new resort which I think makes the honeymoon more unique. I prefer the theme to POFQ over CSR. You have the boat to downtown disney, which is awesome, and the resort is smaller.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
wezee
Am I cheating on my husband, if I have dreams about Mickey Mouse?

POFQ some of the best entertainment on property with Elliot Dyson at the Scat Cat. And the best bartender at Disney at the pool bar with Shelly.

Next Magical Moment: Sept. 2013
March 1995 Off site, Feb 2000 POFQ, March 2006 POFQ (25th Anniv.)March 2007 POFQ, Oct. 2007 POFQ, Sept. 2008 POFQ, Oct. 2009 POFQ, March 2010 POFQ,Sept 2010 POFQ, Feb 2011 POFQ, Oct. 2011 POFQ (30th Anniv.)., POFQ Sept 2012,
wezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
dmband
DIS Veteran

po is wayyy nicer for a honeymoon imo
mostly because it is smaller and not as crazy with kids
dmband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

we like coronado much better. we actually were unhappy with pofq and they moved us over to coronado. maybe it's better since the refurb? either way... congratulations!!

you may also want to look into renting dvc points and maybe finding a better deal!!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
mshoagie
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your opinions and insights. You are not making it very easy for me. I'll show my fiance and see what he thinks.
mshoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
Dacky619
DIS Veteran

We had our 2 week honeymoon at CSR back in 2008 and thought it was perfect. Where some people complain about the conventions, to us that meant things were quieter at the pool and there were fewer people on the buses. The only time the conventions bothered us at all is when we tried to eat at the same time of their breaks.

We think POFQ is really nice as well though, and if you haven't stayed there before, I'd go with that. I'm always a fan of trying a new resort.

Dacky619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
SarahDreamsInDisney
Earning My Ears

one thing I'm looking forward to...and something to keep in mind...is that CSR has it's own bus system and doesn't have to share with any other resorts
Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #14
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

Just my two cents.....

First of all, congrats! We are actually honeymooning at WDW as well. After a week at sea, we're spending the first three days as POR then the next five days at the Swan. I agree that you may want to look into renting DVC points and stay at a deluxe, but you may also want to check out the Swan and Dolphin. Many times you can find a room for a moderate price and stay in a deluxe level hotel. Between the two, I vote fot he Swan since it's smaller and more intimate than the Dolphin. And you can't beat the Heavenly Beds!

I was just in Key West this mast May and I have to say it was an awesome time! I went down with a bunch of buddies all celebrating our 40th. It can be as relaxing or as crazy as you make it, much like WDW. Have a drink at Sloppy Joe's for me!
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

I don't know about POFQ as I won't be staying there until my next trip in October, but I have stayed at CSR and LOVED it! Based on my experience there it definitely seemed more adult oriented. During our stay, there were conferences going on and the guests were almost all business people there for the conference. We barely saw any kids, and we were able to kick back a few drinks at night and walk around and stay in the hot tub hanging out with other guests until 3am on the two nights we went to the pool after the parks! Cast members even walked by multiple times and even though it "closes" much earlier (maybe 10pm or midnight not sure which) nobody ever said anything that it was closed even at 2am...
So for us CSR was a nice, more adult hotel. It was nice that it seemed more romantic without all the kids from the parks all day :P

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronado springs, honeymoon, pofq

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: