Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #1501
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

I wouldn't do over 9 inches if you are having a dowl (or anything stiff) at the top of the FE. Wider would be OK if it is soft fabric (like a tote bag) that will drape.

The fish is on an angled wall and you wouldn't want anything stiff poking out into the hallway.

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #1502
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post
I wouldn't do over 9 inches if you are having a dowl (or anything stiff) at the top of the FE. Wider would be OK if it is soft fabric (like a tote bag) that will drape.

The fish is on an angled wall and you wouldn't want anything stiff poking out into the hallway.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. :

I've got some fabric that would be PERFECT for this!!! But the pattern on the fabric is 12" wide. Thinking.... thinking.... thinking....

Any advice on how to make this work w/o having it stick out into the hallway would be most appreciated!!!

EDIT: This is for the Wonder.

Last edited by Makayna; 08-14-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Makayna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #1503
ppartekim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post

And if you are making an FE for the Dream/Fantasy the width is about 2-3 inches narrower.
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #1504
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

I'm in the process of making my FE for our upcoming cruise --- how do ya'all get those mickey heads at the end of the dowels. I just love it, Only dowels i've seen in the craft stores are balls....

Thanks!!!

NYC to Bermuda ~ Norwegian Breakaway ~ May 2013

NYC Inaugural Disney Cruise to Bahamas ~ May 2012 ~ Disney Magic

NYC to Bermuda ~ May 2011 on NCL Gem

ge0rgette2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #1505
ppartekim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge0rgette2 View Post
I'm in the process of making my FE for our upcoming cruise --- how do ya'all get those mickey heads at the end of the dowels. I just love it, Only dowels i've seen in the craft stores are balls....

Thanks!!!
If it has a ball on the end, you can add two more smaller balls to each end for ears.
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #1506
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppartekim View Post
If it has a ball on the end, you can add two more smaller balls to each end for ears.
TY!!

They didn't look like 2 balls, more like flat circles.. I'm sure I can maneuver something..

I'm not too good at sewing, so I'm playing around with some fabric today, i'm going to 'no sew' it

Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #1507
bagley15
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdisneyfam View Post
I LOVE your FE!! Great job! Are those scrapbooking stickers you used? So cute!
I love your FE. I have been trying to figure out some ideas and I never thought about scrapbook materials. You did an AWESOME job!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #1508
twokats
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!!!
I used a ball and my dh cut two slots in the top and I glued 2 flat circles into the slots. I will try to take a pic and post. After I assembled them I painted them so that everything blended. I also trimed the end so that the circle fit in the slot better.

DCL (Magic, Southern Caribbean & Repo B2B), VWL - October 2014: AKL (Jambo Concierge), DCL (Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean) - September 2014: VWL - Dec 2013: DL (Grand Californian), DCL (Wonder, LA/Galveston PC Repo) - Sept 2013: DCL (Magic, Cozumel) - Feb 2013: VWL - Sept 2012: VWL, DCL (Fantasy, Western Caribbean) - May 2012: AKV, SSR - Dec 2011: DCL (Wonder, NYE Eastern Caribbean) - Dec 2010/Jan 2011: AKV, SSR - Dec 2009: AKV, DCL (Wonder, Bahama), VWL - May/June 2009: VWL - 2007: WL - 2004: WL - 2001: Dixie Landing - 1998: Offsite - 1987

twokats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #1509
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Thank you.

I made 2 pockets tonight and iron'ed on 2 mickey ears with our name, I am a tad dissapointed with one of the pockets, i'm not sewing, i'm taping/iron transfer hem stuff hehe but the iron on transfers are made for lighter fabrics and I chose red, etc.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #1510
twokats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you.

I made 2 pockets tonight and iron'ed on 2 mickey ears with our name, I am a tad dissapointed with one of the pockets, i'm not sewing, i'm taping/iron transfer hem stuff hehe but the iron on transfers are made for lighter fabrics and I chose red, etc.
I also did the no-sew version and I did mine in black, but I did use the transfer paper that was for dark fabric. I also did some embellishing on the transfers with fabric paint and made it a little more vibrant.

DCL (Magic, Southern Caribbean & Repo B2B), VWL - October 2014: AKL (Jambo Concierge), DCL (Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean) - September 2014: VWL - Dec 2013: DL (Grand Californian), DCL (Wonder, LA/Galveston PC Repo) - Sept 2013: DCL (Magic, Cozumel) - Feb 2013: VWL - Sept 2012: VWL, DCL (Fantasy, Western Caribbean) - May 2012: AKV, SSR - Dec 2011: DCL (Wonder, NYE Eastern Caribbean) - Dec 2010/Jan 2011: AKV, SSR - Dec 2009: AKV, DCL (Wonder, Bahama), VWL - May/June 2009: VWL - 2007: WL - 2004: WL - 2001: Dixie Landing - 1998: Offsite - 1987

Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #1511
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Yup, think i'm off to staples tomorrow to buy the transfer dark paper instead... I like the look of the red fabric better than the yellow I had...

I never did transfers before, it's fun, and i like it, it's a learning process
Plus the mickey ears are black too, so didn't want black fabric.. but on the red it would stick out great. I might just toss the 2 pockets i did and buy a package of transfers for dark...

Can I see yours, do you have a picture?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #1512
twokats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yup, think i'm off to staples tomorrow to buy the transfer dark paper instead... I like the look of the red fabric better than the yellow I had...

I never did transfers before, it's fun, and i like it, it's a learning process
Plus the mickey ears are black too, so didn't want black fabric.. but on the red it would stick out great. I might just toss the 2 pockets i did and buy a package of transfers for dark...

Can I see yours, do you have a picture?
I will get one asap. My pockets are decorated in gold, so on the black it really popped.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #1513
Mythicalbee
Swiss Family Robinson

I used the same starry night fabric - it made me think of the night sky out at sea Love how you used it -- when my pockets are done I'll post a pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydiane61 View Post
So I made my FE today.

I'm going on the 9/20 Wonder repositioning cruise with my best friend Donna. Our husbands are going to Palm Springs for a week of golf and since neither one of us golf, we decided to cruise instead.

I thought it turned out really nice. I found all of the items I needed at either Joann's or Michael's. Total cost 14 dollars. I sewed the FE ( I'm not a seamstress, but do do machine quilting and I do have a very nice machine ). I do not embroider, so I purchased Disney Scrapbooking items at the above stores and glued them on.

So give it a try... I'm glad I did. The ones on ETSY and EBAY are great. But I saved over $30, enjoyed making it and it's ORIGINAL.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #1514
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

I have a question.

I have noticed a few people "pleat" the pockets of their FE's. What do you use to do that? Do you sew it that way or do you use some sort of product to make it "stick out" like that?!

I'm wanting to use some images that are 12" so I want to pleat it to make it the recommended 9" but I don't know how to do this. Can anyone help me?!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #1515
JMJ3553
Mouseketeer

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2760485

This is a link to a post I did about my own fish extender. I am no expert seamstress, but managed to put something together. I included a link to two youtube videos that really helped me with the overall structure and the pleats. Hope it works and hope its helpful

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: