Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

A Yogi Drags Her Dude Back to Disney! Day 6 Finished!(4/22)

We're back!! Welcome aboard!! It was a great time had by all and, needless to say, I'm already trying to figure out when we can go again! There's a PTR that goes along with this, so feel free to check it out!PTR-Here!
Did you look? If not, it's ok, I totally understand. I fill you in on the important details.

First, how 'bout some introductions for the newcomers?
There's me: Amanda

(I promise there'll be better pictures of me in this TR). I recently became a certified yoga instructor, hence the picture. There are actually several pictures of me throughout our vacation of me performing my postures (asanas for my fellow yogis). I considered this vacation a reward for my intense training I finished prior to going. It really was super intense, 14 hours a day, 5 days a week for 8 weeks. AND I had to make up time on the weekends since we were out of town the last week of training, so sometimes it was 6 or even 7 days a week. Whew! So glad it's over!
Then there's my hubby: Johnny (commonly referred to as J because, well... I'm lazy)

Johnny is really the sweetest, kindest, most tolerable man in the world! He had no idea the wonder of Disney until our last trip in 2009 (his 1st, my 4th). I officially got him hooked (good news for all those Disney-fans out there trying to get your S.O.'s hooked, it is possible!) and we would go more often if it wasn't so expensive! He's also the best daddy to our sweet little angel, Emma.

She's now almost 20 months (geez where does the time go?!) and we decided not to take her this time. Although we missed her like crazy, we (or I) decided one more trip as grown-ups might be fun since I missed out on so much last time, being pregnant and all. It was hard to see kids there having a great time, but we were also reminded how hard it was when kids were fussing, passed out, or just plain tired from the heat. I really hope to take Emma by the time she's five (if not soooner, hehe!).

Here are some links for our trip!
Day at MK!
Day at MK! continued
AK Day!
Finishing up Day 3
Day 4 Done!
Day 5!!
Day 6ish
Day 6 Done!

Aaannnnnyyyyywwwwaaaayyyy, on to our TR! We went August 6-11, stayed one night at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the rest at the Wilderness Lodge.

After another full week and a busy day at yoga school, I hurried home to see Emma before her bedtime and to finish packing for our 8:20am flight Saturday morning! It was a bitter-sweet night since I was so excited to go, but also sad to leave Emma. J and I promised to be each other's picker-uppers whenever the other was feeling down.

So Saturday morning came bright and early, 4:30am for me. I got to sleep around 11pm on Friday but tossed and turned from 2am on. Too excited to sleep!! J was soon up after me and we gathered ourselves and got the house, the dogs, and the pool siutated. We said bye to my mom, kissed Emma goodbye, and left the house around 6:30 am and got to the airport around 7, which isn’t bad at all since we had to stop by my dad’s so he could drive us (we left our car at his house for the week). We checked in and got our boarding passes and went through security within 30 minutes. Easy breezy, so why not stop for a Starbucks?! I got a call from dad shortly after and the first thing he said, “Timing is everything.” Turns out there was a horrible accident on the freeway we were just traveling down that was backed up for miles! I hope everyone involved was ok!

Our flight boarded with no trouble but we were then informed some equipment was down and needed repair. No worries cause I was able to read up on my “Secrets of Disney World” book while Johnny read up on something intellectual. Within an hour we were back on schedule and up in the air! Did I mention Johnny’s parents managed to give us enough miles for first class? It was a nice perk let me tell ya! We even got a decent breakfast with free drinks! Johnny ordered a Bloody Mary while I settled for a Mimosa! Yummy!!

After we landed and went through all the DME travelling

Sorry for the crummy picture, the guy infront of me put his head in my way after I took this

We finally got to our room around 2:15. The word AWESOME doesn’t even begin to describe AKL! I loved everything about it! The environment was incredible, our room was amazing, the whole atmosphere was out of this world! Can you tell I really liked it?!
Entry into our room!

The place has mice, ah!!

I planned on us heading to DTD after we arrived for lunch and some shopping, although I had second thoughts and really wanted to stay around AKL. Johnny was really craving a pizza from WPE so we hopped on the bus and away we went! I know some people complain about having to take a bus everywhere from AKL, but the great thing is you don’t have to share a bus with anyone!

So we made it to DTD safe and sound and headed straight for WPE (after stopping for a picture op!). Don't ask, cause I have no idea what I was doing...

The menu looked different than last time and we were trying to remember what we had ordered. So I settled on a Chicken Cesar Salad with water and twist frozen yogurt with chocolate chip cookie pieces (which comes after the meal). J ordered a Meatball and Peppers Pizza with a coke and a cookie. Yes, we're started eating before I took a picture. I'd love to say it was the last time, but it wasn't.

The salad was pretty good, although whatever we had last time (some sort of vinaigrette dressing) was much better. As soon as the pizza was brought out the waitress told us something was wrong with how it was prepared and they were making us another one. I guess we didn’t really understand what the big deal was because we started eating the “bad” pizza. By the time we were almost done they brought out the “good” pizza and guess what? We were totally full! Looking back, I really wished they hadn’t brought out the bad pizza and just had us wait. They did pack up the good pizza and sent it with us, but what were we going to do with a whole pizza?! We asked some CMs if they could take it but they had to refuse. Unfortunately, we ended up leaving the pizza on top of a trash can and left with a not-so-great taste in our mouths of WPE. I wouldn’t mind trying it again, but I think J was turned off for a while. Oh well, there are plenty of other restaurants to try at Disney.

Continued on next post

As soon as we can plan another trip, I'll start my TR
Time to go for Christmas! Dec '12 PTR
TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009

Last edited by amandaluvsgoofy; 04-22-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Continued from previous post

So off we went to try and walk off some of our late lunch through DTD! I really wanted to find a napkin dispenser! You know, something for everyday use, something classy and not too Mickey-ish, but still with a touch of Disney. But there were no napkin dispensers anywhere. Even in the Kitchen shop. Oh well. We kept walking on through DTD. Gotta love the displays infront of the Lego store!

I ended up buying a few Christmas ornaments, that has become a tradition for us (sorry no pics from the trip). We walked all the way to the West Side of DTD since we didn't make it that far last time. Lots of restaurants!

We made it to the other side and sat at the AKL bus stop and hopped on the first bus that approached. BIG mistake!! Word to the wise, be sure to look where the bus in actually headed and to be super safe, ask the driver. Did we get on the wrong bus? Yep, we sure did! We managed to tour the grounds of Coronado Springs (which is not a small resort, mind you). When the announcer came on to say “We’re headed to Downtown Disney”, J and I both quickly glanced at each other in shock! WHAT?!? One and a half hours later we finally made it back to AKL. So much for taking a quick snooze before dinner. I barely had time to touch up my make-up!

Our first table service meal was at the well-known BOMA!

Patiently waiting for our waiter, Victor.

As if he's saying, "You looking at me?"

The food here was amazing!! I was a little bummed that I wasn’t hungrier! Next time, lite lunch before a buffet!!

I know Boma is hit or miss with people, but I really enjoyed it! Even if you aren’t crazy about sweet foods, there’s plenty to choose from. J & I both started with soup, hummus, pita, and a huge salad with their chili cilantro vinaigrette which was Fantastic!! I had the chicken curry soup, which was ok. J had the seafood soup (can't remember the name) and he loved it!

A salad was sounding and tasting good to me, so I got more on my 2nd plate which also included basmati rice with paneer, salmon, and some lentil salad.

Not crazy about the lentils, but the rice with paneer and salmon was to-die-for!! I am not a huge salmon fan (which you might not believe after reading this entire TR), but this was the. Best. Salmon. Ever! J went back for pork ribs, chicken, prime rib, and some sort of egg custard. He liked everything on his plate. I was still so full from lunch that I couldn’t even stomach samples from his plate (tried the chicken and egg dish which were ok). It was really hard to enjoy the meal because I was already so full. But I did manage to leave room for dessert!! For some reason I only have a picture of J's dessert plate and not mine. I told J we both had to try the Zebra Domes! We also tried the caramel cheesecake, a peanut butter petite fore, chocolate moose dessert, and a little coffee dessert (so sorry I can’t remember the exact names of everything).

My favorites were the zebra domes (surprise) followed up with the caramel cheesecake. J really liked the zebra domes and the chocolate moose.

We finished up our day by walking around AKL. Had to stop off at Mara and purchase our resort mugs. Sadly, we had to head back to our room for the one and only time at AKL this trip. But we had an early and exciting day ahead of us at the Magic Kingdom.

Up next: Getting to the park for opening. Will it really happen? How does J like the surprise I have in store? And what about checking into the Villas at Wilderness Lodge?!

TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009

Last edited by amandaluvsgoofy; 08-13-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: add
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I'm in.

We took Caitlin for the first time when she was 5 b/c for some reason we said we would go when she was five. Once we got there I wished we had taken her earlier. I would probably start her off around 3 if I had my way. Just saying..in case you wanted a reason to book another trip soon.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
zianha
Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened!

Hi fellow Texans! I'm here to read your TR! I didn't read your PTR but I will eventually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaluvsgoofy View Post

So we made it to DTD safe and sound and headed straight for WPE (after stopping for a picture op!). Don't ask, cause I have no idea what I was doing...

I've decided you were pretending to hold a broom......yep......or pretending to row a boat......or something that totally made sense at the time!

Great start! Can't wait to read more!
Me-Shandale(39) DS11 DS15 Ziggy Zoe NDM #344---WDW Commando Member #121
My Blog! http://alldaydisney.com/
My YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/AllDayDisney

Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Sign me up coach! Luving your TR. Keep it coming.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 08-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure why I couldn't link up from the other link? Anyway, I'm here now and am loving your report so far. Sorry you guys had a not so nice lunch. Yuck.

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 08-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I'm in.

We took Caitlin for the first time when she was 5 b/c for some reason we said we would go when she was five. Once we got there I wished we had taken her earlier. I would probably start her off around 3 if I had my way. Just saying..in case you wanted a reason to book another trip soon.
aboard!!

I so want to take Emma sooner than 5, in fact 3 would be perfect! If our finances work out I would LOVE to take her during the holidays next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zianha View Post
Hi fellow Texans! I'm here to read your TR! I didn't read your PTR but I will eventually!

I've decided you were pretending to hold a broom......yep......or pretending to row a boat......or something that totally made sense at the time!

Great start! Can't wait to read more!
aboard! How's the weather been in your part of the state? And no worries on the PTR, it gets pretty quiet at certain times with my hectic schedule.

And that sounds a bit right for my picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Sign me up coach! Luving your TR. Keep it coming.
aboard! Thanks so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmillercrew View Post
I'm not sure why I couldn't link up from the other link? Anyway, I'm here now and am loving your report so far. Sorry you guys had a not so nice lunch. Yuck.
Hey there! I'm sorry, I don't know what was wrong. I think it's working now!

Thanks! The lunch was ok, just not as good as it could have been. WPE is probably one of the best places to use QS meals to get the most for your buck, so I would not be offended to try again (just order different dishes, haha!)!

Thanks so much for reading along, everyone! I promise to post soon, just gotta upload more pictures (which can seem to take fffooorrreevvveeerrrr...)!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
pinkpixie0920
Mouseketeer

I'm in! Great start already! I hope you loved the VWL, that is one of my favorite vacation club resorts. The boma buffet looked good, sorry WPE wasn't as good as last time. We still have never ate there. We also go to Earl of Sandwich when in DTD.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
ZFamily5
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Quick question: do you plan on opening a yoga studio or are you going to use your certification in another way? Just curious because I did yoga for a while when I was younger. The problem is, in our area, they offer yoga for ages 7-12 and then classes for 16 and up! I'm 14, so I'm kind of stuck in the middle right now. Sorry for rambling! Can't wait to hear more!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2750029

2013 Disneyland Paris PTR:
Pixie Dust in Paris!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post47067772

2013 Disneyland Paris TR:
"She Ate Human!"
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135334
Old 08-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpixie0920 View Post
I'm in! Great start already! I hope you loved the VWL, that is one of my favorite vacation club resorts. The boma buffet looked good, sorry WPE wasn't as good as last time. We still have never ate there. We also go to Earl of Sandwich when in DTD.
Hey Nancy!!

The VWL were so beautiful! I really hope to stay there sometime during the holidays! I'm sure it's breathtaking!

That's so funny you mentioned EoS cause I thought about it right before we went into WPE. It's like my mind was telling me not to go there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFamily5 View Post
I'm in! Quick question: do you plan on opening a yoga studio or are you going to use your certification in another way? Just curious because I did yoga for a while when I was younger. The problem is, in our area, they offer yoga for ages 7-12 and then classes for 16 and up! I'm 14, so I'm kind of stuck in the middle right now. Sorry for rambling! Can't wait to hear more!!
aboard!

Opening a yoga studio would be great but I don't think I'll be in a position to do that for a long time. It takes lots of $$ to do that. That stinks that you can't do yoga anywhere due to your age. Have you looked into gyms? I do hot yoga and we've actually had teenagers there. I hope you get to find something soon!

Thanks guys for reading along!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
akayek31
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! I think we are going to try WPE for the first time the day we get there. I hope it is as good as it looks. It looks like it is a good use of a CS credit.

1985-Day trip, 7/08-offsite, 5/09 Pop Century, 2/11-Pop Century,9/11-Pop Century, 2/12-Pop Century, 10/12-Pop Century, 2/13-Pop Century, 2/14-Pop Century, 10/14-Pop Century

Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

I'm in, I'm in!
AKL looks great. One of these trips I'll have to try it out.

WPE is one of my favorites!! I love the BBQ chicken pizza!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayek31 View Post
Welcome back! I think we are going to try WPE for the first time the day we get there. I hope it is as good as it looks. It looks like it is a good use of a CS credit.
and thanks!

WPE is really good, I think we just got a bad sampling. And if you're one the meal plan it really is a great value. Our meal alone would have cost $40!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
I'm in, I'm in!
AKL looks great. One of these trips I'll have to try it out.

WPE is one of my favorites!! I love the BBQ chicken pizza!
aboard!

Let me tell you, AKL took my breath away from the second we walked in the door! We hope to try different resorts each time we go back but I would not be offended to stay there again!

Yummy! BBQ chicken pizza sounds good! I really wish we had tried something else instead of trying to recreate our first meal there. We'll hopefully get to try it again soon (hopefully sooner than later ).

Thanks again for reading everyone! I'm trying to upload more pictures so I can post another day!!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Great start so far. Ugh, you made me want to stay at AKL. I'm trying to convince Kris that we can afford to stay there. Care to help me?

I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the zebra domes. Now, what the heck are they?

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I'm here! Great start so far. Ugh, you made me want to stay at AKL. I'm trying to convince Kris that we can afford to stay there. Care to help me?

I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the zebra domes. Now, what the heck are they?
Jenny!! Thanks!

Oh my gosh! AKL is sooooooo awesome! You should push that it's a treat for your 30th! But hey, aren't you the one with the discount connections?!

Zebra Domes are little chocolatey balls, kinda-like-truffles, but with a liquor flavor of super yummyness! Some people don't like them cause maybe they don't care for the liquor taste, but I thought they were delicious! And Mara sells them as a snack. I was thisclose to buying them for our breakfast the next morning!!

It's been so crazy around here with Johnny going back to work (and taking the laptop with him). Plus I've had to start my internship for yoga. That's right, I'm still not done. I actually get to teach several classes for free. At least I'll get some practice, eh? Hope everyone will stay with me until I post again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: