Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

The Poly has another biggest fan!

So we got back from our 1st trip to the Poly yesterday after an 8 day stay. I was warned that once we stayed at the Poly that we'd never want to stay anywhere else. I didn't believe it - after all, we LOVED POR when we stayed there and it was our favorite resort. I should have listed. We absolutely LOVED the Poly. We're already planning our next stay there.

Our flight got in to Orlando on 8/3 around 10:00 am. The DME took us to Poly and we were there by about 11 am. Our room was ready!! We got exactly what we had requested - 1st floor Tokelau longhouse. The room was beautiful and contrary to what some had reported, it looked clean and shiny - not at all shabby. The hallways in Tokelau seemed extra wide (which we didn't really notice until we cut through some of the other longhouses on a rainy afternoon.) We never heard a peep from other guests while in our room - or in the hallways either for that matter. It was a very quiet resort.

The Poly is a beautiful resort. The grounds are amazing and you gotta love the Hawaiian music piped through the walkways and OMG - watching Wishes from the beach is SPECTACULAR! They even pipe in the sound, so you get to hear the entire show, not just see it.

The staff were all extremely pleasant and were always asking if us if we needed anything. Mousekeeping was perfect and always done by the time we came back to the resort for our midday rest and swim (so by 1:00.)

Even though we were there during the crowded August, the pool was never overcrowded and we always got chairs.

Being on the monorail line was fabulous. We've never minded the bus system and have always used it when we stayed at CSR, POR and WL. Being on the monorail was SO much better! It did have some technical difficulties and was down a few times, but it worked out ok, because we were within easy walking distance of the TTC.

All in all, Poly is our entire family's new favorite and we can't wait to go back. My dd tried hiding in the closet on our last day because she didn't want to leave. We're in love!!

Edited to add: Oh, and I do have to say that I saw A TON, I mean a TON of old resort mugs being used (mostly last year's, but others as well). I even saw people filling up non-Disney mugs at the beverage station. Maybe I never paid attention before, but after being on the Dis Boards so much lately, it really amazed me. I mean the nerve!!! It's no wonder that Disney is testing out the chips in the mugs thing. Wow....
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY

Last edited by Dizneefamily+4; 08-11-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear you had such a fabulous trip! We can't wait for our first Poly stay (but it's soooo far way).

Last edited by TinkPirateMom; 08-11-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
TinkPirateMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
soarinup
I really am as mean as I look!

Wow

I am so happy to hear that! I am going on MY first stay also in September, I'm getting the vibes from your trip now!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Dizneefamily+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarinup View Post
I am so happy to hear that! I am going on MY first stay also in September, I'm getting the vibes from your trip now!
I don't think I could send you enough good vibes! It was just THAT awesome!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
pas130
DIS Veteran

So glad you enjoyed the Poly
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

My DD15 has a t-shirt with Darth Vadar on it. It says...Come to the Dark Side. We have Cookies!

Well we could make one that Come to the Dark Side. We have Lapu Lapus! And then Darth Vadar could be wearing a Poly shirt sipping on one!!!

Not that the Poly is the dark side, but it tends to turn people into Poly Only lovers!!!!

Welcome and I am glad you had such a wonderful trip. Last year DD5 cried when we had to leave. We will be back in 54 days and then again in 300 days....but who's counting!!!
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

The Poly is our favorite Disney resort too, but the budget doesn't always permit us to stay there especially since we can stay at Shades of Green. Of course, even when we stay elsewhere, we always visit the Poly a couple of times for meals, pina coladas, and the atmosphere. (And no, we don't use the pool when were not staying at the Poly.)

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Dizneefamily+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
My DD15 has a t-shirt with Darth Vadar on it. It says...Come to the Dark Side. We have Cookies!

Well we could make one that Come to the Dark Side. We have Lapu Lapus! And then Darth Vadar could be wearing a Poly shirt sipping on one!!!
Not that the Poly is the dark side, but it tends to turn people into Poly Only lovers!!!!

Welcome and I am glad you had such a wonderful trip. Last year DD5 cried when we had to leave. We will be back in 54 days and then again in 300 days....but who's counting!!!
That's funny! Lapu Lapus have become my weakness. Drinking one while watching Wishes - what could be better??? Can my dd6 stowaway in your luggage for you upcoming trip? She also cried when we left (after we dragged her out of the closet) and she has not stopped asking me if we can go back "tomorrow". Please mom, for just 1 day??? Breaks my heart every time she asks. I'd go back right now in a heartbeat! Of course, last we heard, our suitcase is still in Orlando (long, ugly story with our return airline trip,) so maybe we could just fly back and joing our luggage!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Wonderful to hear! Thanks for the report. Makes me so excited to be headed back again this year.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
gcage
Ready for a Grey Goose slushie

Great to hear that!! I'm heading there in 8 days!!

1979 Golf Resort, 1984 Fort Wilderness, 1988 Contemporary, 1996 All Star Music, 2002 Offsite, 2004 Wyndam DTD, 2005 Double Tree DTD, 2007 POR, 2009 All Star Sports, 2010 Coronado Springs, 2011 Polynesian, 2012 DTD Hilton, 2014 Disneyland DLH
gcage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Dizneefamily+4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich View Post
The Poly is our favorite Disney resort too, but the budget doesn't always permit us to stay there especially since we can stay at Shades of Green. Of course, even when we stay elsewhere, we always visit the Poly a couple of times for meals, pina coladas, and the atmosphere. (And no, we don't use the pool when were not staying at the Poly.)
They were very vigilant this time about checking room keys and issuing wrist bands at the pool. We got asked every day!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
mommyof3princess27
What we've got here is failure to communicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Wonderful to hear! Thanks for the report. Makes me so excited to be headed back again this year.
I LOVED the Poly too...wish we could stay there again but now that DD is over 3, we would have to pay for her and its just not in the budget this year(or next )

Erin , DH and DD13 (KC) DD9(Court) and DD5(Moo) plus 2 and 1 chiweenie
Oct 2010 Poly CL 40% code, Dec 2011 POR w/ FDing, Nov 2012 POR RGR w/DxDP, 2014 POR RGR w/Free Dlx Dining
mommyof3princess27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Dizneefamily+4;42207164] They were very vigilant this time about checking room keys and issuing wrist bands at the pool. We got asked every day![/QUOTE

I am so glad to hear that, the pool was crazy crowded July 2010 and nobody was checking for resort ID's. The pool is small enough with out all the pool crashers that shouldn't be there.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Belle-To-Be
Mouseketeer

[We got exactly what we had requested - 1st floor Tokelau longhouse.[/COLOR]

Having never stayed there, but always wanted to . . . please enlighten me as to how you picked where to stay.
Belle-To-Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They were very vigilant this time about checking room keys and issuing wrist bands at the pool. We got asked every day!
That's great. I wish they would do that more regularly at the Poly and honestly, at all the resort pools.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: