Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #76
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Arrgh! I wrote a response yesterday and it never posted and now is lost. I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Looks like a really fun weekend. They did Cheeserolling once on the Amazing Race! It looks so funny!!

It was hysterical. You could definitely get hurt though, I can only imagine how many turned ankles they see!

Quote:
Alex still doesn't ride a bike... He's too afraid to even try...
He says he wants too...but then freaks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Hey ya! No, we are in Oregon! AND then heading to Santa Fe! I posted on my TR b/c we were going to be taking a hiatus from TR posting!!! I am excited to share my Vero and Fort Wilderness fun, but alas, I am still on our cruise day 3!!!
Fun, I hope you are having some of the lovely weather we are FINALLY seeing here. Looking forward to the Vero part. If I can con Jeff into the Key West itinerary (which he nibbled on over dinner the other night, no interest in the Dream one) I hope to do a Magic/Vero combo for spring break next year.

Quote:
The FE will get really excited and the boys will like participating as soon as the gift start showing up on your door.... Cute on the pillow cases! Yes, I am sure he will like Palos... really gives you that touch of class on the Disney cruise, THAT and the Outlook bar, 2nd level, you can walk right out on deck, see the sunset from the glass windows, so head there when the kids are on their own in the club, etc... The Wonder is the ship we were on two years ago, and that whole set up, the Outlook cafe/bar is better on that boat than on the Dream... AMAZING cocktail menu... nice place to relax and read, etc... BIG points from my DH...
I think it will be fun and will hit them once we start making up the bags. Excited about the pillowcases although Evan is redoing his room and the colors may not match but...oh well!

Quote:
So on to this Whistler trip, so fun! COOL! You know I love ski places when it isn't ski season!! There are fun aspects to visiting a place like that (as you have shared!) There is a town in WA state, I can't remember the name, it is a little swiss chalet style town... we went a long time ago, stayed near there, BEST red skinned mashed potatoes at some bed and breakfast restaurant... That is all I can remember!! Also Snoqualmie falls/lodge?? We discussed this like a year ago I think...you and I... that and the Wild Ginger!!! Do you know I am bringing back a suitcase of pancake mix??!! I KID you NOT!!!! Looks like you guys had quite an adventure!!
We did chat about all of that! We were married at Salish (which used to be called Snoqualmie Falls lodge). Leavenworth is the town you are thinking of, it's adorable both summer and winter.

Dude, I can send you pancake mix anytime you want, it's in the stores here, just let me know (it is the bomb!) and the Fisher Scone mix from the fair, if you are into that...YUM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
I haven't skied since I was pregnant with Liam Unfortunately it doesn't fit with our lifestyle or fitness level right now. I learned in high school but never got very good at it. I didn't have an on snow job (accounting office) so I didn't ski much...although it was nice to have a bar under my office for after work!

Why do people do that to non-skiers on their first time? I've heard horror stories. Bothers me to no end.....if you enjoy a sport why would you make it un-enjoyable (and possibly dangerous for your friend?
It worked out ok and one friend did stay with me for a bit, I think she was horrified that I was actually not kidding or being modest about not knowing how to ski. I'm not very good at it though, it's so sporadic that I feel like I relearn every time and the only way I improve is if I can do it several days in a row. It's probably been 4 years now. Last few times it was too much work with kids in and out of camps/lessons and it just wasn't worth trying ot go myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Next time you go to WDW do the Richard Petty Driving Experience so l can tell you about my 10+ years working at a NASCAR track.
I love speed and could be in the car with someone else driving but no way would I drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Great Pix !!I love those whacky type Festivals !!They are so much fun !!
It was a riot Rosie!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #77
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
CHEESE ROLLING!!???

That sounds like something they'd do in Wisconsin.
Except their hills aren't exactly steep enough Maybe up in the UP.

It was a riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Whistler is beautiful!
Cheese rolling sounds like fun to watch. Tasting the cheese would be my favorite part of the whole thing.
The cheese was SO yummy. If we'd have had cash on us, we'd have picked some up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
OMG! Cheeserolling! All I can say is

Looks like you had such a fun time! We had ice cream at a similar place In Bakersfield - The Moo Creamery - yummy and fun!

Your cruise is so close - have you started packing yet?
No packing yet but working on the LIST and figuring out what we still need. The last 2 days have all been about figuring out formal night for the E's. What they have, don't have, what fits, what is lost. Seriously 2 days ago it was looking like all they had that fit and could be found were their dress pants. 2 days of closet digging and we've found 2 ties, one pair of shoes that fits (previously said to not fit) and one shirt. Progress!

I am debating though. Evan does not have shoes and the one shirt that works is a 12, which either of them could wear. I'm leaning towards black tennis shoes for Evan. It's a pair he wanted for school anyway and will likely be fine for band concerts if he doesn't trash them. Nice leather ones, with a very tiny amount of light trim. I hate the idea of buying another pair that he might only wear once before he outgrows it. I may also get him the new shirt in a 14 so it will last although really they are so close in size it doesn't much matter. But from thinking we needed 2 shoes, 2 ties and 2 shirts, to get down to one shirt and maybe a shoe (or not, I won't count it if it's the school shoes) then I'm pretty darn happy!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #78
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

im here, looks like alot of fun so far, i would have been down for that cheeserolling, especially if you got tokeep the roll.

i would have also tried to trade in my ski tickets for more cheese.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #79
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
im here, looks like alot of fun so far, i would have been down for that cheeserolling, especially if you got tokeep the roll.

i would have also tried to trade in my ski tickets for more cheese.
YAY! Dan's here

I can TOTALLY see you attempting cheeserolling Dan, you could tell everyone was just having a blast. I will say that while the cheese tasting was great, they probably could have made a fortune if they also had wine tasting...they go together you know!

just think, this could be you!

I love what last years winner said

Technique: I start fast, ease through the middle, and pick 'er up at the bottom.
What will you do with the cheese?: I'm going to use it to train for next year. Either that, or eat a ton of cheeseburgers.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #80
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Except their hills aren't exactly steep enough Maybe up in the UP.

It was a riot

The cheese was SO yummy. If we'd have had cash on us, we'd have picked some up.

No packing yet but working on the LIST and figuring out what we still need. The last 2 days have all been about figuring out formal night for the E's. What they have, don't have, what fits, what is lost. Seriously 2 days ago it was looking like all they had that fit and could be found were their dress pants. 2 days of closet digging and we've found 2 ties, one pair of shoes that fits (previously said to not fit) and one shirt. Progress!

I am debating though. Evan does not have shoes and the one shirt that works is a 12, which either of them could wear. I'm leaning towards black tennis shoes for Evan. It's a pair he wanted for school anyway and will likely be fine for band concerts if he doesn't trash them. Nice leather ones, with a very tiny amount of light trim. I hate the idea of buying another pair that he might only wear once before he outgrows it. I may also get him the new shirt in a 14 so it will last although really they are so close in size it doesn't much matter. But from thinking we needed 2 shoes, 2 ties and 2 shirts, to get down to one shirt and maybe a shoe (or not, I won't count it if it's the school shoes) then I'm pretty darn happy!
I wouldn't worry too much about the shoes - especially for kids. The black tennis shoes will work great. DCL is pretty casual compared to some, and the West Coast even more so, I found. We even had some women at our table in jeans on semi-formal night and no one batted an eye. I didn't even get Jim a tux or suit this time - he fit in just fine with shirt and tie on those nights and slacks and collared shirts for the others.

Quote:
YAY! Dan's here

I can TOTALLY see you attempting cheeserolling Dan, you could tell everyone was just having a blast. I will say that while the cheese tasting was great, they probably could have made a fortune if they also had wine tasting...they go together you know!

Technique: I start fast, ease through the middle, and pick 'er up at the bottom.
What will you do with the cheese?: I'm going to use it to train for next year. Either that, or eat a ton of cheeseburgers.
That's funny!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #81
K8T
DIS Veteran

Hi

Read your title 'Cheeserolling' and knew exactly what it was all about!!!!!

Cheeserolling has been going on in Gloucestershire in the UK for nearly 200 years - it is a tradition known to all the locals and is exactly the same as you saw.

There is a large hill - Coopers Hill - which is much steeper than the one you saw and they roll a huge Double Gloucester cheese down it and everyone chases it. They also have a race up the hill for the children.

I remember going there every year as a child, although my parents would never let me take part, there were always broken arms and legs by the participants. There is also the 'Cheese MC', dressed in white, with a hat with ribbons on - exactly as in your photo, who sets the cheeses off down the hill.

Here is a link http://www.cheese-rolling.co.uk/index1.htm As you can see, there was a bit of controversy this year, as the local authorities wanted to ban it on health and safety grounds, needless to say, the locals went ahead and a good, if wet day was had by all.

Cheeserolling - honestly - all normal to us Brits!!!
[SIZE="1"][I]1996 P&O Canberra - 1998 NCL Norweigan Dream - 1999 Celebrity Century - 2000 RCCL Grandeur of The Seas - 2001 P&O Oriana - 2002 P&O Arcadia - 2003 P&O Aurora - 2003 P&O Oceana (& Adonia) launch weekend - 2006 P&O Oceana - 2006 Celebrity Galaxy - 2007 P&O Oriana - 2008 Disney Wonder (Jan) - 2008 P&O Ventura (May) - 2009 P&O Aurora - 2009 P&O Oceana - June 2010 Disney Magic Med. - August 2010 Disney Magic Med. - July 2011 Disney Magic Med. - July 2012 DLP NBay - Oct 2012 WDW BC - July 2013 Disney Magic - July 2014 Venice to Rome booked
K8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #82
MEK
DIS Veteran

Who Knew there was such a thing as cheeserolling! Certainly not I! Hard on the buttocks - you're not kidding. I am living proof.

I have to tell you that in my skiing years I always wanted to go to Whistler/Blackcomb. It was my dream ski trip, but it never happened. Boo!

Oh well - your pictures are great!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #83
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the shoes - especially for kids. The black tennis shoes will work great. DCL is pretty casual compared to some, and the West Coast even more so, I found. We even had some women at our table in jeans on semi-formal night and no one batted an eye. I didn't even get Jim a tux or suit this time - he fit in just fine with shirt and tie on those nights and slacks and collared shirts for the others.
Yeah, Jeff is doing the same thing, as are the kids. Well actually only a tie on formal night for the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8T View Post
Hi

Read your title 'Cheeserolling' and knew exactly what it was all about!!!!!

Cheeserolling has been going on in Gloucestershire in the UK for nearly 200 years - it is a tradition known to all the locals and is exactly the same as you saw.

There is a large hill - Coopers Hill - which is much steeper than the one you saw and they roll a huge Double Gloucester cheese down it and everyone chases it. They also have a race up the hill for the children.

I remember going there every year as a child, although my parents would never let me take part, there were always broken arms and legs by the participants. There is also the 'Cheese MC', dressed in white, with a hat with ribbons on - exactly as in your photo, who sets the cheeses off down the hill.

Here is a link http://www.cheese-rolling.co.uk/index1.htm As you can see, there was a bit of controversy this year, as the local authorities wanted to ban it on health and safety grounds, needless to say, the locals went ahead and a good, if wet day was had by all.

Cheeserolling - honestly - all normal to us Brits!!!
Rebel cheeserollers, I love it!

Gloucestershire, now there's some good cheese! How funny on the controversy and how fabulous that they just went ahead! The Cheese MC..nice to know he was appropriately garbed! He was funny. Steeper would mean broken limbs, not just twisted ankles, wow! Funny but I just wouldn't think of England has having something steeper, I just assume it's more rolling hills. I find it interesting that on the Canadian site they don't even tell you what kind of cheese you might win. I mean I'd race for a Vermont white cheddar but maybe not for a smoked (anything).

They also had far more interesting cheeses to taste than is shown on the site. Cheeserolling in the fog and wet, ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Who Knew there was such a thing as cheeserolling! Certainly not I! Hard on the buttocks - you're not kidding. I am living proof.
Now WHAT exactly are you living proof of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I have to tell you that in my skiing years I always wanted to go to Whistler/Blackcomb. It was my dream ski trip, but it never happened. Boo!

Oh well - your pictures are great!
It's a great ski trip, and a great girls ski trip! I've done it in winter twice with girlfriends (eons ago) and it was absolutely wonderful! Skiing...sushi...the spa....

Sigh.

Your skiing years are over? Why?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #84
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

Quote:
YAY! Dan's here

great technique.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #86
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Just keeping up don't want to miss anymore whacky festivalsI will definately be going to Universal next year !!I was given the official YES you will this week !!! Fre Trip too!!! I am also on the list fro a Disney Cruise although I will take any cruise !!!That I learnt may be a little further away !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #87
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Cheeserolling, eh?

Ya learn something new everyday!

Beautiful pictures though - wow!!!!!

Quote:
Tilt Shift?

not a clue what that means!
Oops, my mistake, it was a time-lapse: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...y-cruise-line/

Tilt-shift is this: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...t-shift-video/
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #88
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Cheeserolling, eh?

Oops, my mistake, it was a time-lapse: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...y-cruise-line/

Tilt-shift is this: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...t-shift-video/
That is so cool Brook!!! I had seen the MK one before but that's the first time I've seen the Epcot one.
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #89
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I am cracking up over the cheeserolling! Who knew that even existed before I read your PTR?!?!

Looks like you had a great time in Whistler! It looks like such a pretty town!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #90
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Just keeping up don't want to miss anymore whacky festivalsI will definately be going to Universal next year !!I was given the official YES you will this week !!! Fre Trip too!!! I am also on the list fro a Disney Cruise although I will take any cruise !!!That I learnt may be a little further away !!
Congrats Rosie, that's wonderful!!!!!

Quote:
Cheeserolling, eh?

It was a riot, and some yummy cheese!

Quote:
Ah, very cool!!!

Quote:
That is so cool Brook!!! I had seen the MK one before but that's the first time I've seen the Epcot one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I am cracking up over the cheeserolling! Who knew that even existed before I read your PTR?!?!

Looks like you had a great time in Whistler! It looks like such a pretty town!
I certainly didn't know, though it was on the Amazing Race and I saw it, it obviously didn't make a deep impression for some reason. The kids remembered it though, knew exactly what it was.

Whistler is just wonderful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: