Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Power of 10 - DIS Events to Benefit GKTW
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
amoggio816
Having a blast!

Seriously?? Thats ridiculous! You're RAISING money for a good cause! Not stealing stuff and making it a hs reunion.. i mean REALLY

Amy James Victoria

Feb 25-Dec 10.
amoggio816 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
disneym2m
I am only allowed to visit Disney World once every five years... darn husband. Co-host of the Virginia Dis Meet 2011.

I walked away from my computer, took a deep breathe, and then returned wanting to tell the Short Pump Town Center Coordinator what she could do with her $2,000,000.00 Certificate Of Insurance demand, when Aaron pulled me away and took me out to dinner.

Whenever Aaron or myself are just having a bad day we go out to dinner to let the mess be forgotten for an hour or so. But not me, I sat in our car just wanting to vent and complain. Aaron held my hand and told me that "tomorrow was a new day and look for a new location tomorrow". I was forbidden from venting or even mentioning the email. Tonight I was to forget about a Dis Meet location.

So we went to dinner. I love this restaurant. I just enjoy the sandwiches and the manager is always friendly. But the place never seems to be full. Besides Aaron and myself, there were only two other couples. Maybe we just come at off times .

As I ate my macaroni salad, I started looking around the restaurant. I started looking at the floor plan. I started counting tables and chairs. Aaron inquired what in the world I was doing and I asked, "do you think this place would let us have the Dis Meet here". Aaron told me to go talk to the manager while he threw away our trash and refilled his tea.

So now the nerves set in. I usually don't just walk up to people to ask them a question. All the other inquires were easy. Talking on the phone or by email is somewhat anonymous. The manager has seen us in here before and will in the future, so I was a little hesitate. I took a deep breathe and walked up to the counter. He looked at me funny and I explained that I was trying to figure out how to ask him this question and explain everything.

Somehow I found the words. It seemed like forever, but in reality is was like a minute. Now this is where I wish I had a camera. His face literally lit up and he yelled, "yes"and then there was a but. He is the co-manager and for something like this I would have to also speak to the other co-manager. We exchanged contact information and then he explain "benefit night".

I left the restaurant in much better spirits than when I walked in. I was so excited. I am the type of person that likes to help others. I wanted to give this restaurant and these managers our patronage. I wanted this to help promote their business somehow.

I wanted to run home and tell Cheri and then email the co-manager, but first I had to go grocery shopping. When I arrived home, 2 hours later, I must have set the world record for putting groceries away. I, then, literally ran up the stairs and wrote Cheri an email and then an email to the co-manager.

Now it was a waiting game. Cheri replied the next day that she was on board and I still waited for a reply from the co-manager.

The weekend passed and on Monday, the phone rang. It was the co-manager of this restaurant.
disneym2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

I'm really lovin this report Melissa !!!

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayšoš
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
Disneybridein2k3
I am and I'm not afraid to admit it
That is AWESOME news
Disneyland Trip Winner

I am so proud of this company that I want to support them! Kuddos to them for stepping up to support GKTW when THE FREAKIN MALL wouldn't step up!

If you ever had any doubts about using Dreams Unlimited for your next Disney vacation, read this thread!
Disneybridein2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Does this give you an idea of what goes into throwing a party or cruise for 700 or 800 of our closest Dis friends?

I often think John should be the patron saint of Patience and Persistence.

Good luck with this Melissa and Cheri!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
Cherinva

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Does this give you an idea of what goes into throwing a party or cruise for 700 or 800 of our closest Dis friends?

Oh yes Kevin...it certainly does....Thanks for the Good Luck...we will take all that we can get.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
disneym2m
I am only allowed to visit Disney World once every five years... darn husband. Co-host of the Virginia Dis Meet 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post

Kevin:

Believe it or not, I have thought about John and the his team when I was looking for locations. And now that we are planning activities and such I completely understand. Of course John has a bigger budget than we do but I can understand that great ideas are thought of and then have to be readjusted to fit whatever location or vendor needs.

So I guess if the Dis no longer exists John can go into Party Planning.....

But seriously, I thank John and whoever helps him when he plans the Dis meets.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #24
disneym2m

It was Monday and as usual I was looking for locations in the Richmond area. The phone rang and it was Kim, the restaurant co-manager. She sounded so delightful and nice and friendly and helpful on the phone. (Yes, I know that sentence was probably not good English). We exchanged questions and answers for about 5 minutes and decided to meet in person. My appointment was set for Wednesday at 3:00 PM.

Really, I have to wait two days...ah man. I really wanted the appointment sooner because I had to answer to some patiently waiting Disers and I just wanted to get this Meet going. Patience is not one of my strong abilities . But, as I thought about it, a few days was a good time to make sure I had all the questions and concerns listed.

Cheri and I talked, for the first time, on the phone that night and we worked on some more details for the Meet. I spent Tuesday writing up the details and having Cheri proofread so that if this location worked out, then I could post them right away.

Wednesday arrived and I was grateful I had a doctor's appointment before this meeting. I think it helped calm me a little. Yes, I was a little nervous. Cheri and I had all these ideas and I wasn't sure how they were going to be achieved in this restaurant. I arrived about 10 minutes early to look around outside and take some outdoor photos for Cheri to see. I guess Kim saw me because when I walked in the door of the restaurant, she was right there to greet me.

We sat down and started discussing the Meet. I had to first explain to her about the Dis and then about GKTW and then what we wanted to for this Meet. She allowed pretty much everything I asked for, except we are NOT allowed to solicit from other Cafe' customers. And that she wouldn't close the Cafe' just for us. Oh well. The other co-manager, Chris, also joined us and put in his two scents worth. The meeting lasted for about an hour. Kim showed me around the Cafe' and told me to take pictures to share with Cheri. I will honestly say that Kim was the most helpful person I had talked to since starting this location hunt. She was willing to work with me and help me figure some things out. I do understand that I am bringing in business for her, and she was going to be helpful, but it was like she understood our Meet and was willing to help us in anyway she could.

Now here is the fun part.....

Kim used to work for a company that helped sponsored or donated to GKTW, so she understood exactly what we were trying to do. AND she is a Disney fan. So I might have actually created a new Diser. Anyway....

It is only July almost August and as Cheri and I figure out the number of attendees and details, a lot of what Kim and I talked about will change. But the most important thing is...............

WE FINALLY HAVE A LOCATION. And yes, I had to scream that because I was excited. After, what seems like forever, the location had been secured.

River Towne Cafe' Here We Come!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
Cherinva

Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #26
disneym2m

My meeting with the River Towne Cafe' manager (Kim) was over with and now I couldn't wait to get home and post our Meet details on the boards. Cheri and I had all the details worked out before hand, so I just added a few items that Kim requested and I was ready to post.

It was about 4:30 PM and figured I could have the details posted with a few minutes.

I am laughing because it wasn't as easy as I thought. I originally had everything typed on Microsoft Word. So I figured I could just copy and paste. But I had a logo and different fonts sizes and different colors. Some items were in bold and some items were underlined. UGH!!!! This will take me forever. I started typing out one line at a time. But that was taking forever. So I thought, I am a whiz at Photoshop so why not just make a jpg photo and post it. Yeah, that wasn't working out very either.

Time was running short because I needed to visit friends at a Wake and then have dinner with my family.

AH MAN, posting on the boards would have to wait a few hours. I did email Cheri and tell her that the meeting went well and hope to post details sometime later that night.

I arrived home around 8:30 PM and knew exactly how to post my Microsoft written items into a Dis board thread. I will have to say that if you ever need a solution to a problem, just step away from it for a little while and the solution will present itself.

By 9:00 PM, the Meet details were up and now all I had to do was wait and see who was going to attend.

I found the location, the Meet details were posted, now all I have to do is sit and wait for the meet, which is 100 days away.

Yeah right, there is planning that now needed to be complete. Will there be decorations and if so what kind? What activities will be at the Meet? Will there be kid activities? How will we raise money for GKTW? What are we doing for a silent auction? Who will make the name tags? UIIIGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I decided it was time for bed and I will figure this out with Cheri....tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #27
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Melissa- you are doing a GREAT job! I love reading your reports.
I have planned many a group trip or event or business conference over the years and it is truly amazing how many little details there are along the way.

I also love your advice to step away for a while and a new idea or solution will come! So, so true!

I wish I could come to Virginia to meet you! Alas, the distance and timing don't work out for me.
But I know it will be a smashing success!

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #28
tigger813
DIS Veteran

Melissa- Really enjoying your planning thread! I was part of the Planning Divas for the NE Meet last month so feel free to ask away. If I can't help maybe one of my fellow Divas could help!

Best of luck!

Next trip: Easter at Disney April 17-23 (3 nights Kidani Savanna View, 3 nights Wilderness Lodge)
tigger813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #29
disneym2m

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwscout View Post
Melissa- you are doing a GREAT job! I love reading your reports.
I have planned many a group trip or event or business conference over the years and it is truly amazing how many little details there are along the way.

I also love your advice to step away for a while and a new idea or solution will come! So, so true!

I wish I could come to Virginia to meet you! Alas, the distance and timing don't work out for me.
But I know it will be a smashing success!
Thank you Linda. I appreciate the support. I didn't think anyone was reading my crazy report. I am sorry you will not be able to attend the Virginia Dis Meet, but I am sure we will meet some day in the future at a Podcast event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger813 View Post
Melissa- Really enjoying your planning thread! I was part of the Planning Divas for the NE Meet last month so feel free to ask away. If I can't help maybe one of my fellow Divas could help!

Best of luck!

Thank you Tracey. I think one of your Divas (Tara) is helping me with some activity pages. I will let you know if we have any questions or need any advice. Thank so much for the offer.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #30
tigger813
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneym2m View Post
Thank you Linda. I appreciate the support. I didn't think anyone was reading my crazy report. I am sorry you will not be able to attend the Virginia Dis Meet, but I am sure we will meet some day in the future at a Podcast event.

Thank you Tracey. I think one of your Divas (Tara) is helping me with some activity pages. I will let you know if we have any questions or need any advice. Thank so much for the offer.
Yup, Tara was our Head Diva!!!! Love her!!!!

Next trip: Easter at Disney April 17-23 (3 nights Kidani Savanna View, 3 nights Wilderness Lodge)
tigger813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: