Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #16
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the advice scottmel. I am actually taking some of your advice. I've been drinking green tea for its anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants, limiting my exposure to dyes and preservatives, and using journaling and meditation for relaxation. I've also signed up for a qigong (sp?) class because it is supposed to help balance the body physically and mentally. I am going to do the full 8 weeks of zyrtec though too. A little science can't hurt.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

You are welcome! Zyrtec was my third cocktail I took too. I tell you once you get past them you will keep looking for MANY MANY days convinced they are back. The crazy obsession over them fades. Funny thing DH got them - not near as bad as me - but he got them about a year after me. I felt like I was reliving the nightmare again but he was completely unphased by it...It honestly consumed my life just b/c I was SOOO afraid. Good luck! ONE DAY you will look back on this and it will be a memory but you'll look over your shoulder for a bit more....
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #18
Jen0504
Mouseketeer

Ohhh I sooo symphathize! I broke out in hives all over, except for my face thank goodness, about a year ago. It lasted about 6 months, and it was horrible. I went to every doctor imaginable, and the final diagnosis was....get this.....chronic hives! They said it wasn't stress, allergies, etc. It was just hives. Really?!? I had a steroid shot, and then oral steroids which made me balloon. They tried numerous prescriptions, and nothing seemed to work. They finally put me on something called Xyxol (I think that's the name). Either it worked, or the hives had run their course because they went away. I haven't had them since, but they tell me they could pop up at any time. Needless to say, any time I have any type of itching I FREAK! Sending lots of pixie dust your way, and just know that you are NOT the only one!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #19
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Made it through the cruise with no hives. Im off zyrtec for 2 weeks so I'm antihistamine free for my allergy testing. I keep checking for hives, but the 2 bumps I've found look like bugbites. Gotta keep my mind off of it so I don't stress myself into them.

And as a quick DBF update: he proposed, so the hives didn't scare him. :-)
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
quasar4legs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Made it through the cruise with no hives. Im off zyrtec for 2 weeks so I'm antihistamine free for my allergy testing. I keep checking for hives, but the 2 bumps I've found look like bugbites. Gotta keep my mind off of it so I don't stress myself into them.

And as a quick DBF update: he proposed, so the hives didn't scare him. :-)

CONGRATULATIONS on the engagement, so thrilled for you.

Glad the hives stayed away, now try and relax throughout all the celebrations.

Best wishes to you and your fiance.

Quasar
Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #21
JJ in wonderland
Mouseketeer

I know this may be a long shot but I am a clinical nutritionist and I've seen a lot more cases of Celiac Disease paired with dematitis herpetiformis (dh). Now that they sound like big scary words dh is pretty much itchy hives or dried skin/blister patched, and celiac is a gluten intolerance that usually causes gastric symptoms such as bloating or diarrhea. Celiac may not present with the gastric symptoms it may just come out as dh.

Like I said this is a long shot but if it has been an on going issue and you mentioned gastric problems with stress it may be worth asking about.

I hope this helps
Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #22
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

Just found this thread today! Six years ago I had persistent hives for 5 months. The doctors (allergist, endocronologist, dermatologist, internist) couldn't figure out what caused it. They said it was stress. The following year they came back. I went three years without them and got them again last year.

Thank goodness they didn't pop up this year. I say they won't because each time it was in June when the itching started. I know what gets rid of them, Allegra 180, prescription Zyrtec, and a steroid (for 2 months).

I had every blood test done last year. Nothing came up. A lot of the undiagnoised hives can be caused by auto-immune disorders. The only thing the rheumatologist told me was that my thyroid disorder could be causing it. But there is no proof. I guess I just have to live my life never knowing when I will get sick again.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #23
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

For the past 10 yers, I've been getting 'hive' - not hives, just one, usually around my waist area, or my thigh, once on an ankle. Very typical-looking for a hive, but it stays for weeks, I have always just slapped a bandaid on it once I dose I with antihistimine cream.

Well, now I have hives, two areas, multiple welts, treating them the same way I always do, but after reading this thread, I'm not sure they are really hives now. Do your hives last for days, or do they appear, go away, and new ones show up?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #24
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
For the past 10 yers, I've been getting 'hive' - not hives, just one, usually around my waist area, or my thigh, once on an ankle. Very typical-looking for a hive, but it stays for weeks, I have always just slapped a bandaid on it once I dose I with antihistimine cream.

Well, now I have hives, two areas, multiple welts, treating them the same way I always do, but after reading this thread, I'm not sure they are really hives now. Do your hives last for days, or do they appear, go away, and new ones show up?
They can do either but it is rare for a hive to stay put for days. Meaning you might have an outbreak on your arm, that fades then they pop up on your stomach or shoulder, etc. They constantly move and fade. Depends on the case but if they are itchy it is what you have.
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #25
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

In the past I've had times when a patch crops up in one spot and stays for a few days. I could tell what they were because they would slowly fade from the inside of the welt out. But you should probably check with your doctor to be sure. I'm currently in the 1 hive a day stage and I think because I'm under a lot of stress.
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: