Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #16
Dudester
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJessie View Post
Never saw Kimba before
If you google Kimba, you can find a website that offers the TV series DVD. Then, your jaw will drop when you see the very same things that you saw in Lion King. Then, you can show it to your friends and say "Look, this TV series was in 1966. Disney copied it 25 years later and pretended it was their original work."
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
If you google Kimba, you can find a website that offers the TV series DVD. Then, your jaw will drop when you see the very same things that you saw in Lion King. Then, you can show it to your friends and say "Look, this TV series was in 1966. Disney copied it 25 years later and pretended it was their original work."
I googled it and saw the side by side pic comparisons. It's nuts. I showed it to DH too since that is his favorite movie. Ah well, I'll keep loving lion king, just like I keep loving Harry Potter

MamaJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
Queenofspoons
Dreaming of Disney World

Yesterday my Dad said that theirs a bar in Pleasure Island where all waitresses are topless, I had to break it to him that the night clubs closed down 3 years ago and their was no such bar on the disney property, ever!.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
whimsicalmai
Earning My Ears

boy! Those are some doosies! Think the biggest one I had was insisting that 'disneyland' was not the first name Walt considered. My friend just didn't believe me because he had already founded the disney co. But oh well.
do-er

I'm on Facebook and Etsy: search whimsicalmai
whimsicalmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #20
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

my marketing teacher made our final where we had to create a new ride at an already existent theme park and one of the choices was Disney's Universal Studios the sad part about this is that she went to Universal studios about a month before the exam for a field trip and she still didn't know the difference and when we were presenting this exam one kid said that WDW opened in 1955 he clearly thought that it was DL
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #21
Babbletrish
DIS Veteran

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
Um... I actually sat down and watched "Kimba" during the heat of this controversy several years ago. And while the "ZOMG 'teh Lion King' is a 'Kimba' ripoff!" crowd does kinda have a point during the less-epic "Circle of Life"-ish opening credits, their argument really falls apart once the humans get involved. And Earth Mother. Who is a wooly mammoth. Naturally.

Plus the writers of TLK swore up and down after this reached them that they'd never even heard of "Kimba". So, there's that. More about this at StraightDope. Basically, it's "Hamlet" with some of the same species as "Kimba", folks.

(Now Timon and Pumba vs. Ren and Stimpy on the other hand... )

Last edited by Babbletrish; 07-21-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Babbletrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #22
thegib95
Mouseketeer

I am the type that can honestly say It doesnt really bother me, spent some time googling it and reading things, watching videos, etc. but at the end of the day... I really really like the Lion King, especially the music and none of this effects my opinion of Disney or The Lion King.

Me DW DD (1.4.11)

Trips: 1982: Mom's Belly | 1992-CB | 1997-PO | 1998-BWV | Summer 1999-BWV | Christmas 1999- BWV | Summer 2001-BW | Summer 2002-YC | Spring 2005-BCV | March 2010- POFQ
September 2012 -- BCV |December 2013-AKL |September 2014-AKL

thegib95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #23
Rose DiVerona
"If you finally found your laughing place...how come you aren't laughing?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorstitch View Post

Then when I was in high school (this was around '99 or 2000) I was talking to a friend of mine. She told me that there was a girl in one of her classes named Fantasia. I made a comment wondering if she was named after the movie. My friend replied, "I think she was born before the movie came out." There's a 60-year-old in your class? How many times was she held back?

sailorstitch
Your friend was probably thinking of Fantasia 2000...but to not know there was an original means she doesn't know a lot about Disney!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #24
harrismargaret9
Earning My Ears

It’s weird to get to know that people don’t know Pirates of the Caribbean was a Disney movie. We were at Disneyland and there was a Jack Sparrow lookalike roaming around. One guy out of the crowd asked him “What are you doing in Disneyland”. Once he questioned some more came and were amused to see Jack Sparrow in Disneyland. When he explained that it’s a Disney movie they were not ready to believe it.
harrismargaret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
Babbletrish
DIS Veteran

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrismargaret9 View Post
It’s weird to get to know that people don’t know Pirates of the Caribbean was a Disney movie. We were at Disneyland and there was a Jack Sparrow lookalike roaming around. One guy out of the crowd asked him “What are you doing in Disneyland”. Once he questioned some more came and were amused to see Jack Sparrow in Disneyland. When he explained that it’s a Disney movie they were not ready to believe it.
Woah, that one just makes me go

Kind of reminds me of those poor cast members who are probably already sick of being asked, "Where's the Harry Potter ride?!"
Babbletrish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: