Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #31
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
So today I was faced with trying to come up with things we still have to get done for the wedding. Instead I was pricing out how much it would be to fly down to Orlando in August.

Luckily Geoff is home today (he has summer hours and works extended hours Mon-Thurs and has Fri off) and was able to talk some sense into me.

I think I have a problem. I then thought about extending my trip by a day, but I'm not spending $400 to stay at BLT. So I went back to my to-do list.
O geez!! This isn't good! Are you driving down by yourself???

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #32
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Day 2, Part 1

The next day was Saturday, and from what I could tell, it was also the best day over Memorial Day Weekend for us to try to hit Star Wars weekends.

Now I had been keeping up to date on SWW news over at www.studioscentral.com and rumor had it that the park was consistently opening early during the festival weekends. Now, if I was wrong, there was no way I would hear the end of "you made us get here an hour before the park opened!" so I compromised and asked everyone to be ready to leave by 8am, that way, if the park opened at 8, we'd still be there ahead of the major crowds.

The morning was gorgeous, this was our view when we were getting ready to head out:

Before we left, we headed over to the food court for some breakfast.

Decorations in Sassagoula.

Part of the reason my Mom and I love staying at French Quarter is the excuse to get beneigts in the morning!

We split these. I love that they make them fresh!

After breakfast (which wasn't crowded, considering it was about 7:30) we were ready to head out to the park! ...well, after my Dad went back to the room, brushed his teeth and got some cold water for the day ...oh, and then my Mom needed to change her shoes But pretty close to 8am we were heading to the car.

Which was good because we saw this when we arrived!

Yep! Sure enough, the park opened early!

We paused just long enough to catch a couple photos of these guys on the roof:

And then Geoff and I collected the park tickets and we were off! Our plan was this: if the park was open, Geoff & I would run and grab FP's, by the time my parents got back there (my Dad had recent knee surgery, so he was moving slower than usual) we would have them in hand and be ready to jump in line. If the park wasn't open, we'd be able to walk with the crowd and jump in line for Star Tours, then get FP's afterwards. Perfect plan

Right as we were finishing up, my parents were joining the end of the line, which was growing, but moving outside of the attraction. The next thing my Dad let out with "I'm glad we got here early! I wouldn't have wanted to get here when the park actually opened! Good work Kelly!" I love it when my genius is recognized

20 minutes later, we were ready for our first flight!

I have to say, I *love* the new ride. I think it's great. Geoff loved it because it had so many Star Wars references, I loved it because it was a story in itself even when you didn't know the movie that well It was so much smoother than the last version too. My Dad had a small problem with it when we got off the first time but the second time we rode it he was fine. And my Mom used to not be able to do the ride at all and she was fine both times!

Coming up...where do we head next??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #33
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
O geez!! This isn't good! Are you driving down by yourself???
I have a free ticket I'm flying down on. I was hoping I could fly down Thursday, but I checked the flights that are currently available and there's nothing I'm crazy about, I wouldn't get in until 5. But I could leave Monday. But then I'd be back to renting a car instead of going with my parents.

So I'm just leaving it and not messing with it. I have issues apparently. And it's related to wedding stress (because hello...99 days away .)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #34
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Joining in a little late.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 07-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #35
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

Again late on joining, but I'm here!

Your pictures of POFQ are gorgeous! I'll be there in 3 days!!!!

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #36
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Glad you did get there early!!

I'm kinda liking the looks of POFQ!!...especially if all the rooms have queen beds now. That is correct, isn't it?

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #37
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Joining in a little late.
Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak616 View Post
Again late on joining, but I'm here!

Your pictures of POFQ are gorgeous! I'll be there in 3 days!!!!
Hi!

You must be very excited!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Glad you did get there early!!

I'm kinda liking the looks of POFQ!!...especially if all the rooms have queen beds now. That is correct, isn't it?

Yep, all the rooms have queens...except of course the ones that have kings.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #38
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great job, Kelly! See there is a reason we do all this research and they wonder why!

I can't wait to try out the new ride.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #39
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great job, Kelly! See there is a reason we do all this research and they wonder why!

I can't wait to try out the new ride.
You guys will love the new ride, it's really really well done!

And exactly! They tell me I'm nuts until we don't have to wait for over an hour for the latest and greatest thing
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #40
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Day 2, Part 2

We skipped TSM. Don't get me wrong, we enjoy the ride, but we just don't understand the craziness behind getting a FP or standing in line for hours for it. So we skipped it.

Instead, we headed down Sunset to the thrill rides!

Our first stop was Rock N Roller.

Geoff isn't really a fan of roller coasters, but I persuaded him to try this one and he loves it. So now it's on his must-do list. He really hates the dropping feeling from going down a hill (or an elevator dropping...) but he says he doesn't get that same feeling on RnR.

Afterwards, my Mom and I went on Tower.

You see, as I just mentioned, Geoff doesn't like the whole drop feeling, so he flat out refuses to do Tower. And I don't push that one. My Dad is afraid of heights.

My Mom and I? Love Tower of Terror. So we went on and left the boys outside for a little male bonding. Which included Geoff checking out the SWW merchandise tent behind RnR, he got this:

It's a bobble head that sits on his desk at work. (Side note: his cuff links for the wedding will be Darth Vader and he's getting his groomsmen Storm Trooper ones. I think it will be epic. )

And there's a coffee cart outside of the exit to ToT that my Dad enjoys hitting up. So he got coffee and they were waiting for us when we were done:

Our fastpasses to Star Tours were ready to use, so we made our way back across the park...I didn't take any pictures this time, but it was as equally as awesome. The standby line at that point was ridiculously long and the FP return window was past when we knew we'd be in the park, so we didn't get another.

Next we made our way back across the park to watch the Beauty and the Beast show. We haven't seen it in years, so we thought it was time to check it out again:

I sent this picture to my Matron of Honor and told her I found her dress

After the show was over, it was about time for the Star Wars Parade. We made our way up through the shops. I liked this Donald Duck hat:

And eventually found a place where we could kind of see what was going on and was in the shade. My Mom moved and had a better view, but she's short and can't look over people.

It was neat to be able to see all the fans in costume, and I loved seeing the little kids from the Jedi Academy in the parade, how cool for them!

...You can kind of see Mickey, right???

Next up: Lunch!!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #41
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update, Kelly. Geoff and I are opposites -- I HATE Rock & Roll Rolelr Coaster, but LOVE Tower of Terror.

Sounds like a great day; we've not seen Beauty since 2008 and I would like to fit it in this year but not sure if we'll be able to.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #42
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I'm glad your genius was recognized Kelly! Good job recommending getting there early.

Sooo good to hear that you thought that the new Star Tours is awesome. I can't wait to try it next year. So, it's now a contender (with TSM) for the first fastpass of the day?

Geoff's cufflinks, and his groomsmen's, sound really cool. Your photographer will need to capture that somehow.

I'm glad Geoff liked RnRC...it's my favorite at Disney.

Oh, what is the symbol on your shirts? Star Wars related?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #43
supergirljennie
Earning My Ears

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. My DH is a Star Wars guy as well.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #44
hmmurdock
Earning My Ears

Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #45
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great update, Kelly. Geoff and I are opposites -- I HATE Rock & Roll Rolelr Coaster, but LOVE Tower of Terror.

Sounds like a great day; we've not seen Beauty since 2008 and I would like to fit it in this year but not sure if we'll be able to.
I'm glad we saw it, but it's definitely one of those things that we won't go out of our way to see. My Mom and I were laughing because in order to shorten it, they had to leave out huge sections of the movie plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm glad your genius was recognized Kelly! Good job recommending getting there early.

Sooo good to hear that you thought that the new Star Tours is awesome. I can't wait to try it next year. So, it's now a contender (with TSM) for the first fastpass of the day?

Geoff's cufflinks, and his groomsmen's, sound really cool. Your photographer will need to capture that somehow.

I'm glad Geoff liked RnRC...it's my favorite at Disney.

Oh, what is the symbol on your shirts? Star Wars related?
On a normal day, I don't think Star Tours would be a contender for the first FP of the day. I think it's just because it was the week after it first opened and it was on SWW. The wait times got up to over an hour later in the day, and we're spoiled, so we won't wait more than 30 minutes for anything if we can help it! We just skip it. And I wanted to make sure we rode it twice that day since you have the new ride combinations, so we all decided as a group that we'd rather ride Star Tours over TSM and just make that the focus. But I think if you were to go in the park today, I'd still make TSM the priority, since from what I've heard wait times for Star Tours are leveling out at about 40 minutes.

The symbol on the shirt is actually from a video game, Geoff got them at PAX East when he went in March. I *think* it's the Old Republic logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirljennie View Post
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. My DH is a Star Wars guy as well.
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmurdock View Post
Welcome!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: