Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
lornak
DIS Veteran

jns----did you have a nice trip? I feel like the loser cruiser as I never had any idea we had celebrities cruising with us! Or maybe that just makes me old for not recognizing them?!?
lornak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #17
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornak View Post
Are you planning a trip for your 20th??? My husband joked that we needed the trip to remember that we actually liked each other! It's not that extreme but you know how hard it can be to find couple time with so many busy kids in the house!! This was an amazing chance to reconnect and enjoy each other.
We are booked for a NY-Canada cruise (our first cruise ever!) in August 2012, to celebrate our 20th Anniversary and our youngest's 13th birthday . My (secret) plan though is to book online for a cruise for just me and DH for my 50th birthday in 2014! Doesn't that sound like a good idea?!!
Good job with the journal notes - inspiring!

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #18
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Quote:
jns----did you have a nice trip? I feel like the loser cruiser as I never had any idea we had celebrities cruising with us! Or maybe that just makes me old for not recognizing them?!?
yes we had the best cruise ever

we never knew there was celebtities either, until I came back the the boards here
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
lornak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
We are booked for a NY-Canada cruise (our first cruise ever!) in August 2012, to celebrate our 20th Anniversary and our youngest's 13th birthday . My (secret) plan though is to book online for a cruise for just me and DH for my 50th birthday in 2014! Doesn't that sound like a good idea?!!
Good job with the journal notes - inspiring!
YES! That sounds like a wonderful idea!!! You should book onboard instead of online! Then you get an onboard credit and a reduced deposit. And it doesn't matter if the cruise you want isn't released yet....you can move the dates later. It's a great way to plan ahead and get a few perks!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
bonnielynn
DIS Veteran

Great report.. love the pictures.. haven't gotten to do this cruise.. but wow.. hope Disney goes back again.. think I will jump on..

bonnielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #21
lornak
DIS Veteran

June 19, 2011 Day At Sea

Happy Fathers Day!! It's strange to be without the kids today---but we celebrated a little bit before we left. Olivia snuck a card into Kermits suitcase. This was totally her idea and we thought it was adorable!

Yesterday Kermit surprised me with an anniversary gift. It was the Marc Jacobs Daisy perfume that I have been wanting. I am a believer in scent memories so I like to choose a new perfume for special occasions! Then, when I wear them in the future it brings back memories of that special time! Kermit thinks I am nuts but he obviously listened to my desire as I hadnt wanted to splurge on this for myself before the cruise! I was really excited to get it---and so surprised he had planned this for me! He also wrote me a little card with one thing he appreciated about me. It was very sweet! He had another gift and card for me today. Today I got Godiva truffles---my favorite!! The note was another thing he loved about me&I think I may get one every day?!? I am almost in shock as he is NOT a gift giver.

Kermit woke up at 6:30 AM but went back to sleep until 8:00 AM. I slept soundly until he woke me up at 10:00 AM. I think I would have slept longer but we had Palo brunch at 10:30. Im not going to miss that!!! I showered and dressed and we headed up to Palo. We immediately ran into Mladin who is also a former server. We just love him and he seated us in his area. We started with champagne cocktails and then hit the buffet. There were several new items including a lot of seafood. They also had a large roasted vegetable platter along with buffalo mozzarella salad. These were nice new additions for us. Of course we enjoyed our old favorites as well. We stayed until noon and left full and happy!!

We grabbed our books and headed to deck 10. After about 20 minutes we heard familiar voices&we looked down a few chairs and saw Becky and Brant laying out! We moved over and enjoyed chatting and looking at the ocean. Then we moved to the Cove Café to get out of the sun (it was another GORGEOUS day---85 and sunny!). The server was from Indonesia so Kermit struck up a conversation with him (Kerm lived in Indonesia for a year). At 2:00 we went to the BV theater for a lecture on Pompeii. We were excited they were offering a lecture series. We had missed the first lecture of the day but were happy to make it to this one. The lecturer, Dr. Glenn, was a professor emeritus and was a wealth of information. He had a powerpoint presentation and gave us a lot of history on Pompeii as well as Herculaneum. Kermit, being a teacher, especially got a kick out of Dr. Glenn. He had us do interactive exercises and had us introduce ourselves to those around us&.very teacher like!!! We really enjoyed it.

After that Kermit and Brant went to Gnomeo and Juliet. They hated it. Becky and I went to work out. We did about 45 minutes on the treadmill and then showered in the changing rooms. I love showering in there!!! The lounge area was empty so we grabbed two loungers and just relaxed and chatted. It is not very often that the two of us have uninterrupted conversations. It was wonderful!

6:30 was Twice Charmed and I talked Kermit into going with me. I love that show and the cast on this cruise are very strong singers. Afterwards we went back to the stateroom and changed for formal night. We headed to the lobby and grabbed a complimentary drink. We had planned to just mingle in the lobby but it was PACKED! There were times we couldnt even move! My theory is that there are more return cruisers on this sailing and they know the ins and outs (like to come to the lobby early tonight for free drinks!!). Kermit had decided not to pack a jacket and I was a little worried that we would be underdressed. But it was totally fine and we fit right in. It seemed to me that I saw much less true formal wear than normal. I wonder if everyone was the same as us---not wanting to waste space in the suitcase for it!!!

We had dinner in Parrot Cay which is always a bit of a bummer for formal night. But it was another new menu for me so that kinda made up for it!! It was the Prince and Princess menu and I had a tomato/mozzarella appetizer, potato chorizo soup, apple blue cheese salad, parma wrapped chicken breast and an awesome chocolate soufflé for dessert. I guess I made a big deal about how much I loved the dessert because Cyprian packed up two more for me and sent them back to the room with us!! It was a very nice dinner but again, service was a little slow.

We literally walked into Rockin Bar D about 1 minute before Heath Hynche was starting his show. The only seats were in the very front. One of the cruise staff, James, told us to go and sit up there. I told him I didnt want to get chosen for anything!! He promised me I wouldnt get chosen and I told him I would hold him accountable if I did!! The show was funny and thankfully I was not chosen as the picked on one. That was a lady just two seats down from me! I would have been mortified as he made a lot of jokes about her hooters!! It was pretty funny---since it was someone else!!!!!! We headed back to the room after the show as we want to get up early tomorrow and watch the ship pull into port. Almost everyone cleared out of Rockin Bar D when we did---I am suspicious the late night activities may be very, very quiet this cruise!!! Back in the room we found our towel animal. It was a mens dress shirt with chocolate coins for buttons. The coins said Happy Fathers Day. We thought it was a very nice touch!!

It was a very relaxing and leisurely day! I loved it! Somehow I dont think the next 4 will be. But I am sooooo excited for the adventures that are to come!!!

Last edited by lornak; 01-13-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
MimiSiang
Earning My Ears

Ohhh you're pictures are so nice. Happy 20th anniversary, you two look so happy together .
Love to read more about your trip!
MimiSiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
lornak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiSiang View Post
Ohhh you're pictures are so nice. Happy 20th anniversary, you two look so happy together .
Love to read more about your trip!
Thank you! We are very happy......most of the time!

There is more coming, I promise! I hand wrote my journal and I am trying to type up one day each day. The hardest part is choosing pictures...not so much for the sea days, but for the port days. Between my sister and I we took 2200 pictures and I love them all! But I promise I won't post that many!!!!

Thanks for reading! It's so fun to share this with others! It keeps the trip going a little while longer!!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
Ohana 4
DIS Veteran

Love your trip report so far! I, too, want to do a Med cruise in the future! We'll be going on our 20th anniversary cruise on the maiden voyage of the Fantasy next year! It'll be our second cruise ever. We were on the Alaska cruise June 21-28 as our first cruise! Already hooked, of course!
Thanks for sharing your report!

Ohana
June 2011 Wonder Alaska (1st cruise)
March 2012 Fantasy W. Carib. (Maiden Voyage)
Oct. 2012 Wonder Hawaii (1st 2-week cruise)
Dec. 2012 Dream Bahamas (NYE)
Feb. 2013 Magic Cozumel (Grand Slam cruise)
Apr. 2013 Magic Cozumel (1st Gold Cruise)
July 2013 Dream Bahamas (With BFFs)
Nov. 2013 Wonder in Carib. (Fall Fun!)
June 2014 Wonder Alaska (A return to Paradise)
June 2015 Magic Norway/Iceland (A dream come true!)
Ohana 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #25
lornak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana 4 View Post
Love your trip report so far! I, too, want to do a Med cruise in the future! We'll be going on our 20th anniversary cruise on the maiden voyage of the Fantasy next year! It'll be our second cruise ever. We were on the Alaska cruise June 21-28 as our first cruise! Already hooked, of course!
Thanks for sharing your report!
Wow! An Alaskan cruise and the MV of the Fantasy?! You are starting off big!! That is awesome!! How did you enjoy the Alaska cruise? I would love to try that one! I understand about being hooked on DCL! I can't seem to pick any other kind of vacation!!

Thanks for reading!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #26
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Wow, I am SO hooked!!! Love your style of writing, puts us right there. I cannot wait for more and absolutely love your photography, fantastic! Hey, so we had Cyprian as well, but way back in 2006 on the Magic. Loved him. Thanks for a great report!!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #27
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YES! That sounds like a wonderful idea!!! You should book onboard instead of online! Then you get an onboard credit and a reduced deposit. And it doesn't matter if the cruise you want isn't released yet....you can move the dates later. It's a great way to plan ahead and get a few perks!!!
OOOOPS that's what I meant! DEFINITELY onBOARD! Keep the cruise momentum going!

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #28
lornak
DIS Veteran

June 20th, Malta

Our first port of call!! Everyone had told us to be on deck as the ship pulled into Valletta. This was excellent advice! It was stunning! We got a wake up call at 6:30 AM and were up at Topsiders by 6:45 AM. They were open and ready so we grabbed some food and headed outside. They had a special omelet today---tomato, basil and mozzarella. I ordered that and loved it! I also had a bowl of fresh, mixed berries. We stood on several spots on deck 10 getting various views of the lovely city. Everything is made out of limestone and so all the buildings are “coordinated”!! It has an ancient look to it and it is just really neat.

All ashore was called about 8:15 AM with gangways on deck 1 forward and aft. The announcement suggested we go forward as all of the shore excursions were using aft. But since we were already aft we went out that way anyway. We had no wait and just had to walk the length of the ship to get to the terminal. Disney had photographers in front of the terminal taking photos. We didn’t stop for one but I thought it was a nice touch! There was a sign at the entrance to the terminal buiding that said "WAY OUT". For some reason this just struck me as really funny!!

We walked through the small terminal building and saw several taxis. We had rented a taxi from Wembly’s Taxi service ahead of time so we started looking for our driver. There were two drivers there with signs but neither were for us. We waited for a little while but when no one else arrived we thought maybe we were waiting in the wrong location? We walked along the port area to see if we could find another meeting spot. There were several outdoor cafes and the area was very clean and inviting. Nothing was open yet but we noticed many signs for free wifi so we made a note of that and kept walking!

We walked quite a ways and found another taxi loading area. These taxis seemed to be looking for customers. Several drivers asked us if we wanted a tour but all of them were very polite and backed off as soon as we told them we already had something booked. They weren’t pushy at all which was very nice! But now we were pretty sure that the first area had been the right one and we headed back. We found a terminal security guard and explained our situation. He made a call for us and a few minutes later told us our driver would be there shortly. I was so glad to have had his help!! A car arrived a few minutes later and the guard pointed it out to us. The driver told us he had been waiting at the other ship that was in port that day. We hopped in the car and were on our way to Mdina by 8:50 AM. Brant sat in the front seat and later on told us the driving was crazy! We couldn’t really see what was going on from the back seat---I guess it was better that way! Somehow I had it in my mind that Mdina was very close to Valletta. Originally, we weren’t even sure if we should use a cab or just go for public transportation. But Mdina was much farther away from the port than I realized! It took us about 25 minutes (of FAST driving!) to get there! On our way there our driver offered us a tour for the day, including the Blue Grotto. I was the only one of the 4 that had wanted to see the Blue Grotto so we passed on his offer. Overall I think it would have been very easy to get a full day tour at this port for a reasonable price!

We arrived at Mdina around 9:15 AM. The fare was E20 (agreed upon ahead of time via email) and we tipped him E2. We weren’t even sure if we were at the right place as there was no one around! There were about 10 horses and carriages waiting there so we figured it had to be a tourist destination of some kind!! We went to the main gate and took a few pictures.

We entered the city and walked a few of the adorable cobblestone streets.

We didn’t encounter another person until we returned to the Info station to rent the audio tour we saw advertised on a sign (E8 each)! We only rented 2 units and tried to share them. But they were like phones and you had to hold them up to your ear to hear. It was almost impossible for two people to listen at once so I pretty much listened and then told Kermit what I had heard.

Once again, we were so glad we had the audio tour. The dialog on the tour was a little cheesy but we learned so much about the history and culture of Malta! And it is fascinating! The Apostle Paul was shipwrecked here and there are many references to him throughout the island. There is a recurring symbol of fire with a snake wrapped around it and this is referring to a miracle when Paul was bitten by a poisonous snake and wasn’t killed. We would never have realized that all of these symbols were referencing Paul if we hadn’t done the audio guide. As we toured the city we saw a sign for Fontenella—the restaurant that had been recommended to me on Trip Advisor.

We walked down the street to check it out and found a roof top restaurant right on the top of the bastions. The view was stunning!! The restaurant was completely deserted but we decided to return later on for an early lunch. We continued the audio tour and found something picturesque around every corner. We were taking pictures like crazy as we were sure what we were seeing was the most lovely sight we would see all day---and then it just kept getting better!!

The town is just charming and we all loved it! Around 10:45 the tour took us back to the entrance of the city. We turned the corner and were shocked to see hundreds and hundreds of people in the gate area. We could see several tours buses outside of the city walls and even more people pouring out of the buses! We couldn’t believe it as up to this point we had seen very few people!! We skipped the last two stations of our audio tour and returned our head sets.

Last edited by lornak; 07-21-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #29
lornak
DIS Veteran

Malta, continued...

We went right back to Fontenella and were so glad we did as we got the last table on the bastions!!! It was a great table with jaw dropping views!

We ordered a bottle of the local wine (E7,50)and ordered pizzas (E8,50) along with the local pastie (E2). The wine came right away and we thought it was fantastic.

The food took a really long time and we finally asked about it as everyone else around us had been served. There must have been some mix up but it was quickly fixed and we had our food a few minutes later. We really couldn’t complain as we were so thoroughly enjoying the view and the perfect weather (85 and sunny yet again!). The pizza was really good and I enjoyed trying the ricotta filled pastry.

We paid and then headed back to the entrance. We had decided to take the bus back to Valletta. I knew what number we needed to take (81) but I didn’t know where to catch the bus. We ended up walking up and down the street several times trying to figure it out. There was a large bus stop area not far from the gate and we thought that must be it….but we couldn’t find a schedule or anyone to help us and bus 81 never showed up. Just as we were about to grab a cab I saw bus 81 driving around the circle. We ran back to the bus stop and got on! The toll was E.47…a pretty great deal! The ride was about 30 minutes long and we weren’t sure if there were multiple stops in Valletta so we were a little unsure as to where to get off. But, we didn’t need to worry as the Valletta stop was the bus terminal and everyone got off there. In retrospect I wonder if every bus didn’t end up there eventually?? There were a lot of them there! It’s funny because I had done so much research just to have the info I DID have---and yet now I wish I had had more specifics instructions on the bus, where to find it, where to get off, etc….

Anyway, we had a map of Valetta and we followed it to St. John’s Co Cathedral. That was very easy. It is very unassuming from the outside but the inside is another story all together! We paid E6 each to enter and that included (another!) audio guide. It was fascinating information about the church, John the Baptist and the art/history that filled the church. It was very lavish and ornate and very stunning.

The audio guide walked us through the ceiling panels---each of which represented a scene from John’s life.

Another interesting detail was the marble squares on the floor. Each one was actually a grave/marker. Each one was unique. One of the highlights of the tour are 2 original Caravaggio paintings… the most amazing being “The Beheading of John the Baptist”. I am not much of an art fan but I have to say this was very captivating. It is a HUGE painting and so very realistic. My sister is an art history major and she was going crazy!! Interestingly, Kermit told me later in the day that the painting had been his favorite thing of the entire day in port!!!

We decided to walk back to the port for the free wifi (after stopping to take a picture of a store called “Millie’s Cookies…our Millie will love this!!).

Remember the map that was so easy to read before?? Somehow I got it messed up and we walked in exactly the wrong direction! Needless to say we had a very long and hot walk back to the ship!! One the way we stopped at a WW2 monument where we got another great view of the town as well as the MAGIC.

As we were standing there a family came running up and said that Brad Pitt was “right around the corner” filming a movie. Suddenly I wasn’t so hot and tired and more!! We tried for about 20 minutes to find the filming location but we never did. I guess we will just have to wait for the movie to come out to see him!! We FINALLY got to the port area and we chose a café. I really wanted gelato but they didn’t have any so I settled for a frozen banana drink (Kerm got, what else, coffee—E5 total). It took us a while to get the wifi to work but eventually we were hooked up and we emailed the kids. Service was really, really slow. In fact, some other customers came and sat down, waited about 10 minutes and then left as we never saw the one server during this time. We weren’t in a hurry so we didn’t care. This port area really is pretty and it was enjoyable just to sit in the outdoor café.

We got back on the ship around 4:30. What a day! And what a surprise! I loved Malta! I really had no idea what to expect but this was just delightful!!!

We did two batches of laundry ($8 total) and there was no one else using the machines. I guess it was early enough in the cruise! I was expecting to have to do two cycles in the dryer based on what I had read from previous trip reports but the clothes were more than dry after just one. I went to the pool to read for awhile but I fell asleep instead! Around 6:00 the four of us went to deck 10 for the sail away. Another stunning view of Malta! We swam for a little while and then returned to the stateroom for showers and to change clothes. When we were all dressed we shared the bottle of wine Kermit and I picked up at La Boqueria. They boys didn’t love this one so Becky and I just filled big glasses and brought them to dinner with us! There were quite a few people doing the same thing. I think it is hard to spend $60 for a bottle of wine for dinner when you can buy one for E3 off the ship! I love that Disney lets you bring alcohol back onto the ship! It was really fun to drink local beverages!! I did laugh at Adrian though…he is a former bar tender and he gave us a lecture about putting too much wine in the glass. He said he was afraid our stems were going to break off!! I didn’t think we had that much but I guess we did!!

Tonight was the French menu in Lumiere’s. I had jumbo shrimp, tomato basil soup, tenderloin and crème brulee. Cyprian also brought us two Grand Mariner soufflés. Everything was really delicious! I had to take a few pictures at dinner tonight as we have all taken Kermit's lead and begun ordering multiple entrees. We had to laugh as at one point we had 7 entrees at our table!!

Service does seem to be slow over all. Mostly our drink service! Adrian is really, really slow but whatever….we aren’t in a hurry! No kids crying at our table! During dinner Belle and Beast made an appearance in the dining room (along with some other dancers) and danced their way through the room. I had never seen this before and Cyprian said they only did it on special sailing. It was a cute little addition. I tried to get a good picture but they moved too quickly!! They were only in the dining room for a few minutes!!

After dinner Kermit and Brant went to “I am Number Four”. Becky and I went to Rockin Bar D to see WILDE and JAMES. We saw James from the cruise staff and teased him by telling him I had been chosen during the Heath Hynche show. He felt terrible so I had to tell him I was teasing. The show tonight was pretty good but we liked Heath better…

It was another great day! I am trying not to do a countdown in my head but I can’t help it!!! The days move so quickly! Palermo tomorrow. We are going to take it easy and just wander around for a while. We seriously considered a trip to the Greek ruins which Kermit REALLLY wanted to do. But once we realized that it was a two and a half hour bus ride each way we decide to skip it. We don’t want to do anything too tiring the day before we hit ROME!!!!!!!

Last edited by lornak; 07-21-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #30
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Ok I'm back again tonite, following thus FABULOUS trip of yours!! Before I forget it, can you please post a picture of Cyprian tomorrow, I haven't seen him since 06' and that would be fun! Anyway, so after all these years of reading trip reports, yours is the first one that I can honestly say....

I WANT YOUR CAMERA. I am serious. I cannot get over how clear and beautiful these shots are!!! Did you get this camera just for this trip, are you new at this, been using for years, what. What kind is it?

Can't wait for more!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: