Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

A Quickie with Mickey! Sep. 2011 Pre-TR **I'm back! 4 Updates page 2-3!**

Well, the bug has started to bite me again. My last trip was in March of 2011 (TR link in my signature) and it was a great trip, but it was the first trip in awhile where I left and had no desire to return anytime soon. I’ve heard that actually happens to some people, and this time it was me. But, I’ve started a new job, have no fun adventures planned until next June and would love to just get away to my happy place. But before I get into my trip details (or lack thereof at this point), let me introduce myself if you haven’t read one my reports before. I’m Shannon, age 31, speech pathologist, living in south Florida. Well actually a little north of Palm Beach and 2 hours away from WDW.

Me on my June 2011 cruise:

Me and my mom on same cruise:

Back to the trip, pretty much everything is still up in the air at this point except for the dates. Like I said, I just started a new job (2 weeks ago I started working at an inpatient rehab hospital after 3 years in the school system). I do not want to take any time off, but I can finagle my schedule so that I can leave semi-early on Fridays and since I only live 2 hours away, I can get to Disney by dinner time, if not sooner, have an entire day of Disney fun on Saturday, then head back home on Sunday, refreshed and happy. I’m thinking of September 23-25 because its far enough away for me to have something to look forward too and I’m hoping and praying the crowds will not be horrible then. October is my second choice, but I’m really over the crowds at this point.

So, who is coming? Well, it's me and that may be it. I’ve done a solo trip before and I loved it. I like being by myself and not having people to answer to, but the alternative is bringing my mom who I know is trying to cut back financially since we have a big huge vacation extravaganza planned for next year that she is paying for a lot of. I’ve offered to pay for the hotel entirely and have her just pay for her ticket, which she is open too. So time will tell if I will be solo or not. Another option is meeting up with a good friend who lives in Orlando and also happens to have an annual pass. He and I met in 2002 when I did the WDW College Program when we both worked at the Wonders of Life in Epcot. We’ve stayed in touch since, with visits thrown in here and there. He probably wouldn’t stay at the hotel with me, but would meet up with me to do a park, dinner etc.

Second, is our hotel choice. I’m about 75% sure I want my park day to be Epcot, with 25% leaning towards MK. Assuming I choose Epcot, I’d love to stay at an Epcot resort. I stayed at the BC in March and honestly, don’t want to stay there again. YC is nice but doesn’t get me excited so that leaves the BWI. The Dolphin is also an option because you get the perks of the Epcot resorts at half the price but while nice, it doesn’t have the same Disney feel. Then I wonder if I should just stay at a mod, like Port Orleans, so I can have the boat to DTD on my arrival night…Or stay at monorail resort just because I love the monorail resorts but then the convenience to Epcot isn’t as great. Not helping this decision is the fact that I’m really not sure if its going to be my mom and I or just me.

So, with absolutely no plans made…welcome to my trip report!

Last edited by Wonders10; 09-27-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Wonders10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Shannon, How cool! Anther trip...I am thinking you should pick October 14 so you could take a boat to Downtown Disney for an 8 PM visit to House Of Blues...just an idea...I heard it will be Rocking that night...
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Shannon, How cool! Anther trip...I am thinking you should pick October 14 so you could take a boat to Downtown Disney for an 8 PM visit to House Of Blues...just an idea...I heard it will be Rocking that night...
This will just be a quick trip...I'll probably be more exhausted than if I just stayed home for the weekend. But its always nice to just get away.

I would love to see Rachel perform, but I've been in October the past couple years and it just keeps getting more and more crowded (not to scare you) - I'm thinking more of the food and wine festival crowds. And since I don't really care about seeing that this year, I've always wanted to go in September and see if the crowds are really lower, like they say.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Official Hotel Plans!

I spent a good chunk of time yesterday browsing the various resorts (as if I know nothing about them) trying to figure out prices and what one got me all tingly inside with Disney excitement. I’m pretty much 90% sure I’ll be doing Epcot as my main park day Saturday and I would just love to be able to walk back and forth at my leisure, without dealing with busses. So that pretty much left the Boardwalk, BC, YC, and Swolphin.

Boardwalk – really wanted to stay here but all that was available was a water view or above and I just can’t rationalize spending the extra money on those things.
YC – nice, but feels far out to me
Swolphin – amazing prices compared to Disney but doesn’t give me that same “yay, I’m at Disney World” feeling.
BC – sort of didn’t want to stay here again since I was just here in March. But it is the closest to the BC, they have a garden view room with a FL Res discount, and I would get to use Stormalong Bay.

I called this morning to actually speak to someone, and I have to say I spoke to someone who was a little less than magical. I hate when that happens. But it still go the job done. So, drumroll please….what resort did I choose?

THE BEACH CLUB!

I may keep checking to see if the BWI is available but I really do love the BC and will enjoy the little resort time I have. The dates are the same as I mentioned above – September 23-25. I will be leaving work early on Friday (nothing set in stone, but around noon or 1 would be awesome).

I have been talking to my Orlando friend and that has helped me to decide that I will not be bringing my mom along on this trip (sorry, mom!). She doesn’t really mind, I hope. Not that she’d tell me anyway. I’m going to be heading up solo and hopefully spending some time with a good friend who I haven’t seen in too long. If not, I know I will enjoy my alone time immensely, wandering around my favorite park, Epcot!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

I'm here too but I'll be reading off and on. I find that since I'm down here that my "down time" is like nothing lol. Yay for Beach Club I'll come stay with you haha
Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

haha, I love the title! I am going to be doing my own "quickie with Mickey" too this fall...I have not yet revealed all the details though on my TR so I'm keeping quiet!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I just finally finished your TR - which was wonderful! LOVE your Jim Shore piece! I'm signing on here and excited for you newest trip!

Btw, also looked at your Oasis of the Seas pics...AMAZING! And what an upgrade!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Oops!

I sort of let this thing go, but I will be updating. There's not much in terms of planning, but I'll share info when I get it. I do want to thank all of you for reading, and those who followed me over here from my TR!

I've been chatting a lot more with my Orlando friend and I'm planning a trip in 2 weeks (for the wknd) to stay at his place. We may hit a park too because in other news, I'm considering getting an annual pass! Or at the very least, the FL 3-day play pass since I have a few visits planned and would love to have an excuse to get away in the future too.

For those following the weather, there is a tropical storm coming very close to FL and my part of the state. Please say a prayer it stays far off the coast and brings nothing but some rain...hurricanes and even strong tropical storms are not fun.

Stay tuned for more!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Yay for Disney in 2 weeks!!!!

Our weather here has been going nuts over the storm! We were told to have our emergency plan in place as well as our emergency kit!!!

I'll be praying for you!!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Plans Up in the Air

Hi everyone!

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend! Your praying must have worked because the tropical storm fizzled out and we didn't get a speck of rain by me all weekend! Well, until now anyway. It's very cloudy and dreary and I've heard some thunder in the distance, but I'll take it anyday over a tropical storm or hurricane.

I'm slightly annoyed with my O-town friend, A. The plan (in my head anyway) was to go up this Friday after work and stay at his place, probably heading to a Disney park on Saturday. While talking to him yesterday, he says he's "poor" (but has an annual pass already ) and rattled off all these things we can do at his place. I love being home, but I like to do stuff too. My life is very boring and if I get a chance to go out of town, I really want to go out and do something! Then out of nowhere, he just stopped texting me, while we were in the middle of a conversation and he hasn't responded to me since. We are very different as far as planning goes and things like having weekend visitors, but I'm questioning if I even want to go up there now. Which isn't the first time this has happened. On the flip side, I'm also considering going up anyway, but getting a hotel, maybe Pop or something (rooms are still available). This way I can just get away, do some Disney, and meet up with A in a park or somewhere if I want. But the cost of that on my end is worrisome to me, especially since I still have the September ressie, which I want to keep.

I will keep you all posted on this upcoming weekend plans, and hopefully I can convince him to do a Disney park!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #11
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Sorry to hear that about your friend being a bit flaky! And how awful to just stop returning texts altogether!

If you do end up at Pop, watch for me! We arrive on Friday night!

SO GLAD the tropical storm is over!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

So....said friend finally texted me back last night. Completely oblivious to my previous texts. "I was sleeping" From 3 in the afternoon Saturday until 8pm on Sunday? Wow, you must have been tired.

It will kill him if I don't come up but I hate when gets like this. I'm still debating going up and also where I'll be...Disney resort or his house.

To be continued...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

I know you all are on the edge of your seats about my weekend plans I had decided to definitely go up, stay with my friend and we officially made plans for a park on Saturday. Well, until today when that nagging headache and sort of sore throat kicked in and I left work exhausted and feeling like I'm definitely getting sick. So now I may not go because of that...if I still feel gross, going out of town, not getting a good nights sleep will not be a good idea.

In other Disney news, I've decided I'm going to get an annual pass when I finally do make it up there. The Florida resident monthly payment program makes it pretty reasonable. I've also decided to do a Disney blog, where I will chronicle my Disney adventures over the next year, with the goal of visiting once a month! Not only will it include parks but I will focus on little things like resorts, shopping, and restaurants. Sounds like a good idea in theory.

And September is definitely still on! The BC is calling my name!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Ur beach club is calling my name too! We can be yearly tr buddies!!!,!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Deja Vu

Happy Sunday!

Those of us in Florida are once again keeping a close eye on a tropical storm/soon to be hurricane that seems to be aiming straight for us. This one seems a lot larger and stronger than the other one a few weeks ago, so if you could spare a few prayers that it stays away, I’d appreciate it. I do not feel hurricane safe in my apartment and going down to my mom’s house means that I have to miss a day or two of work and its just sending me into a panic. I really need to chill haha.

In trip news, the September trip is still on and I cannot wait! The original plan was to leave after work Friday since it is only a 2 hour drive, but I really want to get as much out of my getaway was possible so I may work the Sunday before so that I will have all of Friday off! In that scenario, I’d leave around 8ish Friday morning, then hit MK after checking into the BC!

I have also booked a night at Pop century for November 5th, although I’ll be getting into Orlando the day before and staying at a friend’s house. Yes, the friend I’ve mentioned before. A mutual friend of ours has a yearly birthday bash at Epcot and we will be joining them for all the hoopla. And since we plan on doing some partaking in an adult beverage or 5, we’ve opted to get a room at Pop so we don’t have to worry about driving and designated drivers and all that good stuff. Safety first! I actually wanted to stay at one of the Epcot resorts, but the price for one night wasn’t much more than what I’m paying for 2 nights in September! Crazy, so I just threw out that idea and went the cheap route. We truly will only be there for sleep anyway.

So…that is it for me for the moment. Keep those prayers coming and “think east” to keep that storm away from Florida! Thanks for reading!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: