Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #1261
Altoqueenkelly
You gotta be original because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
Yes, you definitely can do this. There is no requirement that you actually arrive on or leave on a flight.

But do yourself a favor. Make this reservation with DME directly by calling 866-599-0951. The cast members at DME know all the rules, including the rule that you don't need to be flying to use DME. [If you call 407-W-DISNEY, you'll likely get a cast member who doesn't know that and will tell you you aren't allowed to use DME back to the airport if you're not flying out.]

HOWEVER, wait until you are just inside 60 days before your trip to call DME. You can't have a DME reservation without having a resort reservation, and DME doesn't have access to the resort reservations database until the 60-day mark.
Thanks for answering this

I was one of those ppl back in 09 who was told you couldn't do this, no how now way.... now I know that we could have!!!

Countless Childhood trips to Ft. Wilderness*2003 Contemporary*2005 Port Orleans-Riverside*2009 Pop Century*2011 Pop Century*2014 AS-Sports

Last edited by Altoqueenkelly; 06-05-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Altoqueenkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #1262
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoqueenkelly View Post

I was one of those ppl back in 09 who was told you couldn't do this, no how now way.... now I know that we could have!!!

Ok, So am I correct in assuming that this will work?
Flying into Miami for BFF's wedding, renting a car while there and wanting to drive it to Orlando.....

-Can I arrange to drop the rental off at Orlando Airport and make a resservation with DME to take us to POP?????????

Then, for departure we are actually flying BACK out of Miami, so I will need to make a 1day rental in the reverse....

- Can I again make a DME ressie to take us from POP to Orlando Airport where we can just go to the rental car counter and head off to our appropriate airport?

(Reason I ask this, is because I know we wont use a car while at WDW, and I cant justify spending all that $$ to rent it for 9days and it just sit in a parking lot, to top it off we are using Frequent Flier miles for the flight & the car, so less is better (also why we cant change it to fly out of Orlando ))

Any help, advice, idea's would be greatly appreciated~!
Can't you use your miles to fly out of MCO? I think it's called an open jaw route.
Using a RR with SWA we flew into Vegas (just to see the strip and Hoover Dam,) spent the week in Sedona, and flew home from Phoenix. You'd probably have to book by phone to do this with other airlines. I know with USAirways I couldn't do this online.
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #1263
Altoqueenkelly
You gotta be original because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?

Thanks!

Countless Childhood trips to Ft. Wilderness*2003 Contemporary*2005 Port Orleans-Riverside*2009 Pop Century*2011 Pop Century*2014 AS-Sports

Last edited by Altoqueenkelly; 06-05-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Change of plans
Altoqueenkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #1264
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoqueenkelly View Post

Ok, So am I correct in assuming that this will work?
Flying into Miami for BFF's wedding, renting a car while there and wanting to drive it to Orlando.....

-Can I arrange to drop the rental off at Orlando Airport and make a resservation with DME to take us to POP?????????

Then, for departure we are actually flying BACK out of Miami, so I will need to make a 1day rental in the reverse....

- Can I again make a DME ressie to take us from POP to Orlando Airport where we can just go to the rental car counter and head off to our appropriate airport?

(Reason I ask this, is because I know we wont use a car while at WDW, and I cant justify spending all that $$ to rent it for 9days and it just sit in a parking lot, to top it off we are using Frequent Flier miles for the flight & the car, so less is better (also why we cant change it to fly out of Orlando) Plus... I would like DD to experience the magic feeling you get riding it and watching the video knowing OK its time for Disney!)

Any help, advice, idea's would be greatly appreciated~!
Yes, that's all doable. People do it all the time.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #1265
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Posted question in new thread.

Last edited by Lehuaann; 06-22-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Lehuaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #1266
macchayse
Earning My Ears

We have early departure from asmu - our delta flight to LA departs at 6.30am. I have a question about checking in for the flight at our resort - is our flight too early to do resort check-in for the flight? If we can do it, do we leave our bags with them the night before, seeing as from everything I've read, we will have to catch DME at about 3.30am?
Chayse 4
Harper 7 months

macchayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #1267
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchayse View Post
We have early departure from asmu - our delta flight to LA departs at 6.30am. I have a question about checking in for the flight at our resort - is our flight too early to do resort check-in for the flight? If we can do it, do we leave our bags with them the night before, seeing as from everything I've read, we will have to catch DME at about 3.30am?
I'm sorry I can't answer your question but I would seriously consider staying at the Hyatt in Orlando Airport if I had a 6:30am flight. It's right inside the terminal and only a walk of approximately 100 ft to get to airport security.
http://orlandoairport.hyatt.com/hyat...xtCorporateId=

We also like staying here for late arrivals. It's ultra convenient & clean.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #1268
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchayse View Post
No, you won't be able to check your bags at the resort. The RAC counter opens around 5ish...and you have to be completely checked in, boarding pass in hand, walking away, no less than 3 hrs. before flight departure. Generally speaking, you need to be on a flight that is departing no earlier than 8:30am to use RAC.
And yes, you would be on the bus around 3:30ish. You may want to check into staying at the airport that night...it would mean you would get a bit more sleep..you wouldn't have to get up until about 4:30 vs 2:30.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #1269
Miss Ang
Mouseketeer

We just returned from staying at Wilderness Lodge, flying with Southwest Airlines. DME was successful at getting our luggage from the airport to Wilderness Lodge without a problem. The day we were departing, they were only able to take 6 of our 8 pieces of luggage that was to be checked (we were at the counter right at 1pm, just before they closed for the day). The person at the RAC counter at Wilderness Lodge told me that the system had only been allowing them to check 4 bags per family all day but it allowed them to do 6 for us). It was a pain for us to have to wait in line to check 2 more bags once we got to the airport but I guess it was much easier than us dragging all 8 pieces of our checked luggage.

I hope the entire DME problem is resolved soon and it's not something others will have to deal with.
Caribbean Beach: 2009
Wilderness Lodge: June 2011
Art of Animation: March 2013

Miss Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #1270
Christine9125
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know (I am sure someone does lol, that was a stupid question) when you check in at ME when arriving in MCO, do the lines to the busses say which resort that bus is for or do they just tell you what bus to get on? We are trying to surprise our kids with the resort and trying to figure out a way to do this

1999-ASMo, 2002-ASMo, 2004-WL, 2008-POP, 2011-BC CL, 2013-POP, 2015-AOA
Christine9125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #1271
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine9125 View Post
Does anyone know (I am sure someone does lol, that was a stupid question) when you check in at ME when arriving in MCO, do the lines to the busses say which resort that bus is for or do they just tell you what bus to get on? We are trying to surprise our kids with the resort and trying to figure out a way to do this
Yes, they do. Each line has a sign at the entrance that states the resort it serves. And when you get to the area, a CM will ask you which resort you want. And then directs you to the appropriate line.

My suggestion would be to send one parent ahead, to explain to the CM. Then, when he/she has already asked which resort, and the parent has answered, the other parent can come over and the vouchers can all be scanned. Have one adult stand in front of the resort signage...it's not very big and should be easy to hide.
Possibly the bus line CM may have an alternative idea for you.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #1272
Christine9125
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Yes, they do. Each line has a sign at the entrance that states the resort it serves. And when you get to the area, a CM will ask you which resort you want. And then directs you to the appropriate line.

My suggestion would be to send one parent ahead, to explain to the CM. Then, when he/she has already asked which resort, and the parent has answered, the other parent can come over and the vouchers can all be scanned. Have one adult stand in front of the resort signage...it's not very big and should be easy to hide.
Possibly the bus line CM may have an alternative idea for you.
Thank you, the kids will find out tonight we are going to POP Century at Disney in 2 weeks instead of Myrtle Beach, but we are actually staying at the BC. I wanted to wait until we got to the resort and I will stand up to get off and they won't know what is going on. Then when we get off the bus, the CL staff will be meeting us. It is my 40th birthday so I have gone all out, but the kids are getting all the surprises. I figure if they say anything about the sign, I could probably get away with telling them it is the line the CM told me to get in for the bus.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #1273
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

You could do that...the whole 'well, this is where we were told to go, so this is where we're standing.' Then, when you get on the bus, sit towards the back. You can act all flustered and such until you 'decide' to just get off at BC and take a cab to POP. That should be a good surprise for the kids!!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #1274
Christine9125
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
You could do that...the whole 'well, this is where we were told to go, so this is where we're standing.' Then, when you get on the bus, sit towards the back. You can act all flustered and such until you 'decide' to just get off at BC and take a cab to POP. That should be a good surprise for the kids!!
That is awesome, Thanks, didn't think about that

Old 07-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #1275
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

I tried to surprise our kids last year that we were staying at WL instead of POR. I covered the part about the CM directing us and we got on the bus without a hitch. A tough part was when the bus driver asked, "Who's going to ________?" and named each resort the bus was stopping at. We cheered when he said WL and kids didn't get it but when he announced the arrival at POR, the kids wanted to get off the bus.
Needless to say, it wasn't the big surprise I was expecting.... Oh well, they still LOVED it!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: