Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
wuv tigger
I just want us to all be well
Owned lime green t-shirts BEFORE she found disboards
Dan Murphy's NOT Santa? I'm shocked!...

My NEW Disability WDW TIPS list:

1. HYRDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE. I pushed myself TOO far and paid for it I ended up in First Aid for a while. First Aid was wonderful! They also reminded me on the way out to drink 8-12 oz of H20 every hour or so in the summer in Fl.

2. Eat a good breakfast before you leave your room/resort. I should have packed some granola bars... lesson learned!

3. Please make sure you pack a good pair of walking shoes. (I LEFT my new shoes w/orthotics at home ) I never want to do that again. Please don't try to break in a new pair of shoes while in FL.

4. Please make certain you have taken your meds and set a timer so you won't forget to take the next dose if you are still out & about.

5. Buy the H20 water bottle clips to attach to your beltloops. I would have been in a mess w/o them.

6. Please plan on breaks during the hottest part of the day. Find one of the indoor seated attractions to get out of the heat.

7. Please remember that some disabilities are HIDDEN! (A Mom in front of me on TSM asked her dh in a LOUD voice: "I WONDER what her disability is?" I should have LOUDLY said "Remember: some disabilities are HIDDEN to this family!" I would NEVER abuse a GAC! I just couldn't go to the parks with my young kids w/o one!

Last edited by wuv tigger; 07-01-2011 at 06:49 AM.
wuv tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
wuv tigger
I just want us to all be well
Owned lime green t-shirts BEFORE she found disboards
Dan Murphy's NOT Santa? I'm shocked!...

Just thought of a few more things:

8. We brought in a soft sided cooler with frozen bottles of water. It worked out great.

9. I purchased Neck Coolers from WalMart. They are a band filled with gel (somewhat like the gel in disposable diapers) which you soak in H20 before you go. It will expand GREATLY when completely hydrated. You then tie it around your neck. I don't tie it tight. You flip it over when it becomes warm. A couple of times a day I run it under the faucet in the restrooms.

WHAT are your favorite tips to make your trip more enjoyable?
wuv tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Bete
DIS Veteran

I agree with above poster and I would add

alternate your activities with outside and inside activities. Alternate between shows, parades, fireworks, eating and rides. This way you get in some air conditioning and you are not just going and going without a rest from one ride to the next ride. This works in the winter, too; so, you get warm in the inside places.

Think about using the train at MK to get around the park. Do the same with the boats at WS in Epcot. This is less wear and tear on the feet.

Think about getting a scooter if you need one. No one realizes how much walking there can be there until you do it.

I've learned it's better to extend our stay and pay for a few more nights and not have to be a commando and be in the parks for a long day. We gave up on park hoppers a long time ago. We would be doing 12 to 14 hours a day with them, but no more. I feel 6 to 10 hours is enough per day at the parks. We usually alternate a longer day followed by a shorter day.

Go with a plan and don't back track too much through the parks. Why do more walking then what's necessary?

Last edited by Bete; 07-02-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
fitzpa
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

For hidden disabilities, I recommend wearing disability t-shirts at the park. People are way more understanding when he is wearing "I Have Autism".

fitzpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Piper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzpa View Post
For hidden disabilities, I recommend wearing disability t-shirts at the park. People are way more understanding when he is wearing "I Have Autism".

You shouldn't have to do this!

Plus how would I fit: I have JRA, Lupus, NF type I, tumors in my stomach and intestines, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, plate & 8 screws in neck, moderately severe diverticulitus and adhesions on a shirt!!!

None of those things "show" (except red swollen joints--and people usually don't notice that.)
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
fitzpa
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post

Plus how would I fit: I have JRA, Lupus, NF type I, tumors in my stomach and intestines, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, plate & 8 screws in neck, moderately severe diverticulitus and adhesions on a shirt!!!

None of those things "show" (except red swollen joints--and people usually don't notice that.)
Your right, it wouldn't fit on one shirt, LOL.

fitzpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
MaggieMollyMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzpa View Post
I thought about getting these too. I found some hilarious ones on Cafe Press...one said "my child has autism, what the hell's wrong with yours?"

DVC Members - BLT
MaggieMollyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

My best hint (and one I have never given before, if you can believe it):

Don’t be so busy trying to have fun that you miss out on the fun that is happening all around you.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMollyMom View Post
I thought about getting these too. I found some hilarious ones on Cafe Press...one said "my child has autism, what the hell's wrong with yours?"
I would be very careful about messages like that.
Some of those types of messages can backfire because some people find particular words to be offensive, not humorous.

Especially in a place like WDW where kids will see it and ask what the word “hell” means and why the person with the shirt on thinks something is wrong with them.

Guests can be asked to replace their shirt or leave the park if they are wearing shirts with messages that are considered offensive.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
SoonerSarah
DIS Veteran

I've actually thought about a shirt as well, but it might bring more attention and questions than we want. I thought about "Worlds cutest stroke survivor".

Thanks for the lists though! It's alwya nice to see others hints.
SoonerSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
MaggieMollyMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I would be very careful about messages like that.
Some of those types of messages can backfire because some people find particular words to be offensive, not humorous.

Especially in a place like WDW where kids will see it and ask what the word “hell” means and why the person with the shirt on thinks something is wrong with them.

Guests can be asked to replace their shirt or leave the park if they are wearing shirts with messages that are considered offensive.
I understand that it would be offensive to some..that why I THOUGHT about these shirts and didn't BUY one. AND I would never point out to the general public that my child has a disability....none of anyone's business expect mine and hers.

DVC Members - BLT
MaggieMollyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post

There are people who are incredibly "clueless".
maybe a saying like "Do you want to be ME for a day...?"
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip DEC 2013 POP/Caribbean Beach Resort I have to wait until 2015!
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
jlr9882
Mouseketeer

We take it easy in the parks. My mom has already had one knee surgery and needs a knee replacement, when I get overheated it is really easy for me to start getting really dizzy, and my son has his own medical and special needs. We have never used a GAC before. We don't rush to get up at rope drop (we aren't morning people) and come back later on the day if we need a nap. Then go back at night and may stay a little longer when it isn't as hot. We take advantage of the inside shows to cool off and for breaks. We don't try to do everything, but do have a list of the things we really want to do. We have those neck wraps and take plenty of cold water to drink and snacks. I am not so crazy about the shirts that list disabilities or kid's name. I think it makes it easier for someone to take advantage of them and draws attention to them. I do know some families that have "I have autism" bracelets on their child, and those are a good idea if a child wanders off. It tells police etc more info on them, and lets them know they may not be able to answer quetions. I put a mickey tattoo (he has more sensory issues now and won't handle this well) on my son on his first trip. If for some reason he wander off I could tell them where it was, what he looks like, and what he was wearing. My cm cousin gave us an idea the last time we were there with 4 boys ages 2-6 years old. She said one of the best ideas she saw was to write our name and number on their upper arms in case they got lost. It wasn't visable enough for the wrong people to see, but was there if someone found them. I have also seen tattoos that you can order that you put your info on it before buying it. they said "If you find me, call______." As far as the shirt, tattoos etc, it all depends on the family and child. What works for us, may not work for others. Take it easy and have fun, and you should have a good trip. Don't worry what others may think or say about you.

[/url]

July 2013- Our 1st July 4th trip with a party of 12- CSR w/DDP
Aug 2011- Bahamas Celebration Cruise and Disney -POP w/DDP (My DS with 20+ allergies was treated like a Prince!)
Feb 2011- Epcot trip and DTD- offsite rental house
Aug 2009- DS first trip! -POP
Tons more trips before then offsite with my first trip at only 6 weeks old. My cousin that went as our babysitter is now a CM!
jlr9882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

You know, a lot of the OP's tips are good ones for every family, not just those dealing with disabilities.

I think the most important thing I've learned over all of our trips is to know our limits. Our earlier trips resulted in nearly daily meltdowns because I simply didn't pay attention to this one thing. It's very easy to think "I can do just one more thing because everything is going well" and end up spending another several hours in the park. Unfortunately, that results in trying to get out of the park during a meltdown with lots and lots of that "look at that worst parent ever" glare while you're trying your best to deal with the extremely frustrating and painful situation which also leaves negative memories instead of all the positive ones. We now spend a few hours max per day in the parks and take a full break day after no more than 3 park days and we now have pretty much all wonderful memories. The great memories and knowledge that our kids had such a great time is worth so much more than another hour in the park. KNOW YOUR OWN LIMITS!!!!

We've never done any kind of autism shirts. I do wish I had bought one I saw a couple years ago I thought on cafepress but I can't find it any longer. It was an autism shirt, but I wish I had it mostly because it was SOOOOO DD13 and really funny. Only parents of autistic kids would really get the humour (others would just think it makes no sense; it in no way says anything about anybody else), but DD13 thought it was funny which is what matters to me.

Which leads me to one last tip I like to give people with disabilities at WDW. You will never see any of these people at WDW again. Don't pay any attention to what anybody else may say about you or think of you. Focus on your own family and what you as a group are doing. We've honestly never even noticed if we've gotten funny looks (other than when very self-concious during meltdowns) because frankly I'm not looking at what others are doing; I'm enjoying my own family. There are so many things we can only do at WDW so that's what's getting 100% of my attention.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
Reddy
Scrapbooker

I just wanted to comment on #4
I set my phone to alarm at med time during the day, that way it reminds me when I'm busy - we can't forget the siezure med so I want to make sure it isn't forgotten.

I love the shirt idea - you will something is wrong with my boys if you are around them for more than 3 minutes, so I like the shirt idea so you know before you get too close to them

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: