Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #166
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by goslingl View Post
We have done both booking cruises with point and paying cash. We have added points to have enough to cruise if we want too. The accountant in me says it is not cost effective but the rest says if that is what you wnat to do with the point then go for it. We actually booked the Alaska cruise using points because of the airfare and other additional expenses. My husband was not a DVC plan until we bought our first contract and no I can not let him go to a presentation because he will talk me into it. We are so weak. Our son had the nerve to ask how many points he got to use a year. After we stopped laughing hysterically we told him 0. They are mine all mine and DH too.
So glad you enjoyed my TR! You'll have a fabulous time even with no excursions. Everything is just so beautiful there! I've never seen so many mountains with huge waterfalls flowing down them!

When my husband and I first started thinking we might buy in to DVC, our plan was to possible do this so that we could let our kids use our points later in life. Not sure that will really happen. Afterall, I'm in love with Mickey Mouse, and I think my DH is too although he won't admit it.

I'll send you the info on the limo driver. Take care!

Susan
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder,
03/12 One Week in Maui, 07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay,
03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western,
07/13 Villas at Grand California, 03/14 5 Night DCL Miami,
05/14 Bay Lake Tower, 08/15 1st trip to Aulani

Upcoming Trips: 03/15 Disney Wonder out of Miami, 07/15 Maui
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #167
goslingl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor View Post
So glad you enjoyed my TR! You'll have a fabulous time even with no excursions. Everything is just so beautiful there! I've never seen so many mountains with huge waterfalls flowing down them!

When my husband and I first started thinking we might buy in to DVC, our plan was to possible do this so that we could let our kids use our points later in life. Not sure that will really happen. Afterall, I'm in love with Mickey Mouse, and I think my DH is too although he won't admit it.

I'll send you the info on the limo driver. Take care!

Susan
My husband and kids say if I ever leave him it will be for Mickey. Thanks for the limo info.
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #168
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
My husband and kids say if I ever leave him it will be for Mickey. Thanks for the limo info.
Sounds like some discussions in my house! My husband says he needs to dress up like Mickey to get any attention. We were going to a Halloween party last year, and I seriously almost ordered him a Mickey costume. He wouldn't have worn it, but it sure would have been funny!

You're welcome for the limo info. I hope it all works out for you!

Susan

Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #169
womanredress
Mouseketeer

Thank you Susan!

You were right, I do like those answers!

We are traveling with my Grandma who we often take around in a little fold up wheelchair if there is a lot of walking. So we were planning on leaving her at the Glacier Visitor Center and then choosing a hike from there that appealed to us.

And then for the suspension bridge, I know my mom would not want to cross that thing, but would love the views of the area. We all wanted to do the train too so that excursion your family took seems like a perfect fit for us.

I've heard from a lot of people that August should be lovely. Not hot by any means, but certainly not freezing. I hope!

Thanks again!

Aug 23rd 2011 Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder

June 1st 2008 Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Disney Magic
womanredress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #170
stitch'sgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor View Post
Hi! Thanks for reading! I'm so glad you were able to get thru it all during your lunch hour. I know I can be a bit windy! I'm a teacher, and don't tell on me, but sometimes I have to check the DIS while I'm at work. I know, probably bad, but a happy teacher equals happy kids. Besides, I teach technology, and they need to know what forums are and how they work anyway.

This is so terrible, but I cannot remember our head server's name. Too much time has passed, and my memory is getting worse every year. He was truly wonderful though, and it was the first time we tipped extra for that position and felt really good doing so!

Glad to hear you are DVC also. How have you felt about your membership? I know what you mean about going overboard with the points. I was ready to start right out with at least 320 points so we could do two contracts of 160, but my DH had to remind me that although we were traveling like rock stars, back at home we were simply just farmers and teachers, so no can do. I don't know if we'll ever add on, but it sure does sound enticing! I'm anxious to begin using it to see if we're as happy with it as the other DISers appear to be.

Good luck talking your co-worker into the Alaska trip! It's truly a wonderful experience, and the beauty of that place cannot be described in words!

Take care!

Susan
Hey Susan - Now I am seeing why I could totally relate - I too, am a teacher with OCD! I totally get the cleaning thing too. It is already such a let down coming home from a good vacation. Who wants to come home to a messy house?

Things have been pretty good with our membership. I'm finding though, that it is getting harder to get the resort/dates that we want. It's great if you can plan ahead, but sometimes that just doesn't do it for us. I can only take Michigan winters for so long, and then I have to get out of town asap. The last couple of trips we've taken to WDW we have switched resorts (due to unavailability for all the nights) in the middle of our stay. It's worked out okay for us - I try to plan a park day on the switch day so the bell service can transfer our luggage whlle we are at the park and I don't have to obsess at the pool about when our room is ready.

The only time I have used points for a cruise is for the member cruise. We paid cash for the two adults and points for our son. I can usually get a better deal for a cruise if I pay cash vs. points. (btw, the member cuise is great! We haven't been able to go the last few years because they have changed the cruising date to September)

I also sold points this year on the boards. I never thought I would have extra, but with the cruises, and only short trips to WDW, somehow we came out ahead. A lovely family bought the points and stayed at BLT. That was a lot of work, but it was nice to get that check!

I'm just wondering what the selling point for your husband was on the DVC. We had listened to the talk before too, and my husband refused. But then one year we talked to some "white hatters" from the UK (back then they were "red hatters"). They told us all about their vacations but also they used their points to send their son on a honeymoon. My husband thought that was so sweet. Our little boy was 2 at the time, and it was hard to picture him walking down the aisle, but for some strange reason, that tugged at his heart strings!

Well, thanks for replying! So glad you had a great time in Alaska - your pictures are beautiful, and so is your family!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #171
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Thank you so much, Stitch'sGirl! Yes, I'm a teacher also. I taught 3rd grade for 14 years and then woke up one day and decided I wanted to leave the regular classroom on a good note and didn't want to grow to be "that old, grumpy teacher that everyone was praying would retire soon", so I switched gears. My district decided to add technology teachers at the elementary level, and I thought it sounded like tons of fun, so I quickly began my master's in technology, applied for the job, and the rest is history. I love my job!

I'm a total long range planner, so I'm hoping I won't encounter too many issues with booking reservations with DVC. My husband is a dairy farmer, and it is so hard to find help, so we always have to have things very planned out. I'm hoping to get Vero Beach at the 7 month mark in order to take all of my sisters and their families next summer, but we'll see if it works out or not.

What finally sold my husband on DVC? I think I must scare him as I get older. He's finally figured out that Mickey Mouse is just in our blood, I think. Neither of us ever imagined we'd travel Disney style as much as we do way back when my 16 year old daughter was a little thing and our 13 year old son was just 1. Like your husband, when I mentioned being able to take the kids and their families as they grow into adults and possibly leave our points to our children some day, it tugged at his heart. He's a proud daddy and prays the kids will always want to vacation with him.

Take care and thanks again for taking the time to read my report!

Susan

Old 07-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #172
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

We are at the Fairmont Pacific Rim, until our Cruise on Tuesday!

We were picked up at the airport by Nick, the limo driver recommended by Susan. He was very nice. We have him scheduled for a tour this afternoon. He was trying to find this thread on online and he couldn't and his office couldn't, so I found some key words he could try using Google.

I am disappointed that breakfast is not included with our room. Concierge said it would be, but the hotel said it is not. Concierge won't be open until Tuesday and by then it will be too late. Oh well, we will get enough food on the ship!

We celebrated Canada Day yesterday and it was great! The hotel is in a good location. The only thing I don't like is the lobby is a lounge/bar with live music and it is very loud. I am used to elegant, quiet lobbies.

Thanks again for leading the way and helping us out, Susan!
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #173
ariel39
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doingitagain View Post

We were picked up at the airport by Nick, the limo driver recommended by Susan. He was very nice. We have him scheduled for a tour this afternoon. He was trying to find this thread on online and he couldn't and his office couldn't, so I found some key words he could try using Google.

I am disappointed that breakfast is not included with our room. Concierge said it would be, but the hotel said it is not. Concierge won't be open until Tuesday and by then it will be too late. Oh well, we will get enough food on the ship!

We celebrated Canada Day yesterday and it was great! The hotel is in a good location. The only thing I don't like is the lobby is a lounge/bar with live music and it is very loud. I am used to elegant, quiet lobbies.

I so want him too.....Do you know what he charged from the airport and how many people can fit in the limo......

Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise July 26, 2011

Royal Carribean - Liberty of the Seas Caribbean Cruise - June 2010

Disney Magic Mediterrean Cruise July 18-28, 2007

ariel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #174
goslingl
DIS Veteran

We have Nick booked to pick us up at the port on 8/31 after our cruise and give us a tour. We are so excited!!! Thanks Susan for the recommendation.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #175
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:

Oh, I'm so jealous! Wish we were back there right now! I'm so glad you were able to book Nick. Let us know what all you end up doing! Have a fabulous time and give that mouse a hug for me!

You're welcome for the limo information. We just thought it was money well spent. Otherwise, we might have just walked up and down the sea wall by the Fairmont and wouldn't have gotten to see all the cool stuff Nick took us to! Again, have a super trip and let us know how everything goes!

Susan

Old 07-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #176
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
We have Nick booked to pick us up at the port on 8/31 after our cruise and give us a tour. We are so excited!!! Thanks Susan for the recommendation.
You are very welcome!

Susan

Old 07-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #177
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel39 View Post
I so want him too.....Do you know what he charged from the airport and how many people can fit in the limo......
Kathie--I can't help you on the cost since Nick showed up as part of our Disney transfers, but I will say that we had five people, and we fit just fine in the limo. In fact, I'm sure you could fit more than that, but the issue would be the luggage. We had a total of 7 suitcases in all, and that's how we ended up with Nick in the first place. The original limo that was going to transport us wouldn't hold all of our luggage, so they called for a stretch limo, and that's how we ended up with Nick. Even with the bigger limo, Nick had to tie down the trunk when taking us to the airport because 7 suitcases fills it pretty full! Maybe DoingItAgain will see this and can have more insight than I do. Good luck!

Susan

Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #178
mickeycruisemaniac
Crazy 4 Cruisin

Thanks Susan for the great info and trip report, it has been very helpful! Can you please PM me with Nick's info, we may try him for the day we get back from the cruise, we have most of the day before the train back to SEA.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #179
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel39 View Post
I think he charged 57 CAD (before tip) for the trip from the airport. The limo can fit probably six adults, it is the luggage that is the issue. We had six bags, and he stacked them up and tied down the trunk to make it work.
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #180
ariel39
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think he charged 57 CAD (before tip) for the trip from the airport. The limo can fit probably six adults, it is the luggage that is the issue. We had six bags, and he stacked them up and tied down the trunk to make it work.
ok we have 11 of us flying in so will need 2 limos maybe he works with someone else thanks

Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise July 26, 2011

Royal Carribean - Liberty of the Seas Caribbean Cruise - June 2010

Disney Magic Mediterrean Cruise July 18-28, 2007

ariel39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: