Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Cruise Curmudgeons of the World Unite

OK, so what is a Curmudgeon?

Here what the International Society of Curmudgeons has to say:

"The dictionary tells us that a curmudgeon is a "a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person." Synonyms for the word include: grouch, crank, bear, sourpuss, crosspatch. But, as is often the case, the dictionary on its own doesn't really bring out the living beauty of the true curmudgeon.

Curmudgeons are different from your basic grumps, grouches, or complainers in subtle ways. "Cantankerous" means to be peevish, hard to get along with and generally grumpy. But that's not quite a curmudgeon, regardless of what the dictionary says. (The dictionary ought to be changed anyway, and go back to the way it used to be!)

A curmudgeon often has a black sense of humor. They don't just complain about things, they do it with flair, style, panache, satire, and a sardonic view of life! That's what makes them memorable. They also, deep down (very deep down), believe that by saying something about it, life will change. Saying even more about it will hopefully make life change faster and sooner."

I have read that there are two types of people in the world, Pollyanna's and Curmudgeons. Examples of curmudgeons are your Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace or W.C Fields.

I'm definitely a curmudgeon.

I love going on Disney Cruises. We are Gold Castaway Club members and have another 4 cruises booked, but I have to admit that there are many aspects that I see others so jolly about that just leaves me flat.

So perhaps I should go first the problem is, where to start? As professional curmudgeon this is very, very tough because the playing field is so very large.

OK, I'll start with something fairly innocuous - the server flag parade, napkin twirling, and marching around to the strains of It's A Small World. It makes me want to cringe with embarrassment. The over the top perky sweetness makes me wonder if they are offering optional insulin injections on the menu. I think of the servers having to do that cruise after cruise.

Consequently I give them a big tip. I see the tip more as battle pay.

OK! So, my fellow Curmudgeons out there (I know you exist), share your thoughts and feelings. Don't let yourself be bullied by the Pollyanna's!

Rejoice in your curmudgeonry!

Last edited by iankh; 06-25-2011 at 09:58 AM.
iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Ian, you crack me up!

Come on Curmudgeons, this Pollyanna will probably (secretly) agree with some of your comments!

(hmmmmmm....I have Curmudgeon moments related to the dining rooms also....sometimes I just want someone to put the food in front of me and then go away....but this could be hormonal......)

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

that's what Palo is for! Not one twirling napkin or parade.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Pollyanna checking in!!!

(probably kept sanity at our table...)

Hmmm things that make my inner curmudgeon cringe...

(and this makes me feel old... )

Kids running around the halls at night yelling... can't you go up to deck 10 where nobody will hear you because your screams will be carried away with the wind???

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
One time in Palo is where I felt most 'pestered'!

I love many of the Palo servers...but there was this one server who I think just wanted to sit down and discuss her family with us! I don't think she had any other tables at that time. She was very sweet actually, but we really wanted to have our own conversation.

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
can't you go up to deck 10 where nobody will hear you because your screams will be carried away with the wind???
deck 10 - WHERE NOONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

Ooh, sign me up! I'm really a crab today, too.

DH was laughing at me this morning because I was complaining about having to share a dinner table with strangers. I don't like sharing meal times with strangers and making small talk with them, it just makes me very uncomfortable.

Oh well, I guess I need to put on my big girl pants & deal with it! Glad to know I won't be the only curmudgeon on the ship.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post
One time in Palo is where I felt most 'pestered'!

Me thinks it was those in the booth next to you...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
HollyTyler
I know, I'm stuck on that Mickey crystal ball

Quote:
Ian, you crack me up!

Come on Curmudgeons, this Pollyanna will probably (secretly) agree with some of your comments!

(hmmmmmm....I have Curmudgeon moments related to the dining rooms also....sometimes I just want someone to put the food in front of me and then go away....but this could be hormonal......)

Yes, I sometimes find myself thinking, "Just drop the plate and back away, and nobody gets hurt."
6/9/05 - Land/Sea: Poly/4 Day Wonder; 9/10/05 - Western Magic; 9/2/06 - Eastern Magic;1/6/07 - 8 day Carnival Liberty-Eastern; 5/10/08 - WB PC Repo; B2B Wonder-4/27/11 LA Repo to Vancouver & 5/3/11 First Alaska cruise; 4/29/12 Wonder to Hawaii; Done vacationing for now.....just enjoying the memories of all the wonderful trips we've been able to take!
HollyTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Humbug

You are not a true curmudgeon if you join a group -- any group -- even if to complain about the truly inane. I clearly am not joining this group, merely contributing on a regular basis. All future posts are by me as a non-member.

DW (why are we calling everyone "dear?") complains that I'm going to give the fine Valbob appelation a bad name. Not true. It's simply that she has sullied my curmudgeonly name.

As for the hanky brigade: Mrs. Valbob comments that she secretly brings a roll of duct tape to that dinner lest my true feelings start to steam out of my ears and make me want to comment. She finds me to be terribly embarrassing at times, which secretly makes me feel fulfilled. But why should she feel embarrassed just because we curmudgeons are honest enough to say what we think?

Plus, she's part curmudgeon, too. She refuses to hang those smiley yellow balls on her posts.

Complaint tally: Curmudgeons don't join; "dear"; connecting my name with good deeds; flag parade; generic spouse complaint; proof of curmudgeonosity; intentional faulting of DW. Total, 8. Top that (and that's a dare, so call it 9). And more to follow from this non-joiner.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
Ian, you crack me up!

Ditto for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Pollyanna checking in!!!

(probably kept sanity at our table...)

Hmmm things that make my inner curmudgeon cringe...

(and this makes me feel old... )

Kids running around the halls at night yelling... can't you go up to deck 10 where nobody will hear you because your screams will be carried away with the wind???
Your not alone! This is my pet peeve too. Don't send them to deck 10 on the Dream as that's where my cabin is. They'll need to go higher!

I'm the Polyanna, DH is not, I don't think I'll ask him this question. He'll probably say taking my one of my sister's kids in our room for the MR cruise in April. Hey we'll already have our DGS so what's one more.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
That's something I like about Palos. No parades. I also feel strongly that my food should come without costumes.

Normally I have been very pleased with Palo, however on our last trip on the Wonder, our waiter was tad tad too solicitous. I mean, enough with the questions about how we're doing. We're here for the grub, not to make friends.

After he asked us for the 14,500th time how we were I started to get a tad miffed. I half expected him to ask us if he could chew our food for us.

Last edited by iankh; 06-25-2011 at 03:42 PM.
iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
Piper
DIS Veteran

Now I get why Palo charges--you have to pay so you won't be bothered by parades!! Disney isn't so dumb. Create an annoyance and make you pay so you don't have to put up with it!!!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

I am a TOTAL curmudgeon when it comes to parents who let their kids do ANYTHING. Push, run wild, scream endlessly, demand, litter, leave sticky messes, back talk, etc, etc. What ever happened to teaching manners? It's not the kids' fault, it's the parents. I am not above correcting the kid and don't mind the dirty looks from the parents one little bit.

Rant over (for today)...
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: