Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #91
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Fun updates and excursions!

I'm so torn about that darn railroad. My youngest is maybe 68 pounds soaking wet and they are dying to zipline. And while he assures me he can fatten up in time, ziplining in Skagway, where it's 8 and up and no apparent weight restriction (plus cheaper) seems the day and way to go. But it means giving up the train.

Quite the rockstar lifestyle. I admit, OCD aside, I am curious how you can even generate that much laundry to wash in a couple of days. I agree with you about having to watch it. Honestly on our last WDW trip, we never left it alone the entire time, only to find out that housekeeping had stolen dirty clothes out of the pop up hamper I bring!

I'd really like to bring the hamper on the cruise but now am nervous.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #92
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Fun updates and excursions!

I'm so torn about that darn railroad. My youngest is maybe 68 pounds soaking wet and they are dying to zipline. And while he assures me he can fatten up in time, ziplining in Skagway, where it's 8 and up and no apparent weight restriction (plus cheaper) seems the day and way to go. But it means giving up the train.

Quite the rockstar lifestyle. I admit, OCD aside, I am curious how you can even generate that much laundry to wash in a couple of days. I agree with you about having to watch it. Honestly on our last WDW trip, we never left it alone the entire time, only to find out that housekeeping had stolen dirty clothes out of the pop up hamper I bring!

I'd really like to bring the hamper on the cruise but now am nervous.
I thought the weight limit for our ziplining in Juneau was 70 pounds, and they didn't weigh them, so I think he'd be close enough. I didn't think about the age limit though.

As for the laundry, my son changes clothes several times a day. He should have been my girl. I would have been ticked if housekeeping stole my dirty laundry! No tip for housecleaning.

Susan

09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise

Last edited by disneypoor; 06-23-2011 at 06:55 PM.
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #93
vatchr
Mouseketeer

Love the updates!!!! Can't wait to hear more. Your "alone time" had me cracking up. Sounds like something that would happen to me an my husband. Thanks for posting.

June, 2006 - WL ...June, 2007 - WL ..July, 2008 - DCL 4 Day Wonder with 3 nights at WL before...April, 2009 DCL 3 Night Wonder...October, 2009 - WL and MNSSHP...July, 2010 4 nights at WL...Aug, 2011 7 Night Wonder to Alaska...

Read our July, 2008 DCL trip report here:http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1919252
vatchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #94
disneypoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatchr View Post
Love the updates!!!! Can't wait to hear more. Your "alone time" had me cracking up. Sounds like something that would happen to me an my husband. Thanks for posting.
Aww, thanks! There's never a dull moment with my husband around. Even if the people hadn't been sitting on the deck watching us in the jacuzzi (I know, they couldn't really see us), he would have done something. I swear! I can't decide if it's just us or if it's the fact that my husband is really my third child. We've decided he's about 16. He always says you're only as old as you act, and I've reassured him he'll be 16 the rest of his life! He thinks that's a good thing.

Susan

02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,

Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #95
vatchr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor View Post
Aww, thanks! There's never a dull moment with my husband around. Even if the people hadn't been sitting on the deck watching us in the jacuzzi (I know, they couldn't really see us), he would have done something. I swear! I can't decide if it's just us or if it's the fact that my husband is really my third child. We've decided he's about 16. He always says you're only as old as you act, and I've reassured him he'll be 16 the rest of his life! He thinks that's a good thing.

Susan
Our family motto here in our house is "Seldom A Dull Moment," - we are always having crazy adventures and creating our own fun. Sounds like our families are very similar. My dd's are 9 and 11 and can't wait for the cruise.

June, 2006 - WL ...June, 2007 - WL ..July, 2008 - DCL 4 Day Wonder with 3 nights at WL before...April, 2009 DCL 3 Night Wonder...October, 2009 - WL and MNSSHP...July, 2010 4 nights at WL...Aug, 2011 7 Night Wonder to Alaska...

Read our July, 2008 DCL trip report here:http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1919252
vatchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #96
disneypoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatchr View Post
Our family motto here in our house is "Seldom A Dull Moment," - we are always having crazy adventures and creating our own fun. Sounds like our families are very similar. My dd's are 9 and 11 and can't wait for the cruise.
Are we possibly related in some way? Last night, I look out the big window in our living room only to see my son and husband chasing each other, and they are both dripping wet. They had a "water" fight. Seriously? What 43 year old man does that? Then, to top it off, my son was irritated because his dad had him thoroughly soaked (he even had to strip down due to the water dripping off his clothes before he came inside), and he proceeded to grab a bottle of baby powder and completely powdered his dad's head. IN OUR HOUSE! I had baby powder everywhere! So, I'm not joking when I say I think I have three children. And, the oldest is the worst!

Susan

Old 06-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #97
disneypoor

Sunday, June 12th, Ketchikan

I should be getting paid overtime here, folks. There are a few of you who have really pressured me to get this thing done. You know who you are, and so do the rest of the DISers following my report!

Seriously, I'm trying so hard to get this thing finished. I don't want any more people leaving for their vacations without closure on my trip report. I already told you all that I don't need that kind of guilt in my life. I'd hate to ruin someone's vacation.

So, we got up around 7:15 and decided to be lazy. Afterall, the ship wasn't going to be in port at Ketchikan until about 1:00. (Tip: do your laundry on this morning!). We watched t.v. in bed until about 8:15, got showered, and went up to eat breakfast.

Now, if any of you had ever read any of my previous trip reports, you'd know that on a Disney cruise one time, I set up a meeting with a DVC representative and made my husband go. Needless to say, it didn't work out the way I had hoped. My husband thoroughly embarrassed me with all of his bluntness and questions, and the lady pretty much told us to get out of her office (which was really just an inside stateroom). I'm not joking around people! She wanted us to leave and didn't want us to ever buy DVC!

Well, I talked him into attending a DVC presentation again. Don't get too excited though. The only way I could get him to go was because 1) he was bored and 2) they were giving away a $300 ship board credit to one of the lucky people that attended. Hey, we'd won bingo, so maybe we'd win this too. So, we attended a DVC presentation at 10:30. And (drum roll please.....), we made an appointment to meet with a representative in his tiny little inside stateroom office for tomorrow. I didn't get too excited. My husband is a farmer. If any of you know any farmers, and I mean REALLY know them, you know that they are tight with their money for the most part. I'm not being prejudiced, I'm just sayin..... But, I figured if we got kicked out again, it would make for some good writing in my trip report, so it was all good. BTW, we didn't win the $300 OBC.

Now, I'm a pretty intelligent woman. So, I went around without my husband asking all of the cruisers in white hats (they received them because they were already DVC) questions about their membership and what they liked and didn't like. Every now and then, I'd casually drop in a tidbit of conversation about DVC to my husband. I don't think he ever actually caught on that I might be up to something. I didn't think he'd actually go for it, but I always give everything I do 110 percent.

We went out to deck 4 to watch the ship pull into port in Ketchikan. We then got some lunch and headed out to walk around Ketchikan for a bit since our Misty Fjords floatplane excursion with Island Views wasn't until 4:50. Ketchikan was by far my favorite port. It's so neat! Everything is nestled so close to the port, and it's easy to get around. We had beautiful weather. It was warm with no rain which is apparently unusual in Ketchikan. We walked around and checked out the shops, and then we went and got some ice cream.

I wanted a wooden totem pole to add to our vacation collection at home, so we searched and searched for the right one. We finally found one that we liked, and it is displayed on my "vacation" shelf as I type this.

Here are a few pictures from when we were walking around Ketchikan:

So after walking around Ketchikan for a while, we begin making our way back toward the port area and decided to go ahead and go to our meeting place for our excursion. We hear all kinds of cheers and laughter coming from somewhere. Turns out it was coming from the Lumber Jack Show, so if any of you have that booked, I think you'll be in for a great time! We even tried to go, but because we had a meeting time of 4:50 for our float plane excursion, we couldn't do it.

A van from Island Views was there promptly at 4:50 to pick us up. She took us to their dock which was a few blocks away. We booked this excursion on our own through Island Views' website because I had read another DISer's review of how wonderful it was, and she was right! It ended up being our favorite! You board a float plane and the pilot, Michelle, takes you through the Misty Fjords and lands the plane on a lake in the middle of the fjords, and you get to get out and take pictures and explore a little bit. First of all, Michelle is wonderful! We couldn't have asked for a better excursion! I took hundreds of pictures because the views were amazing, but I'm only going to post a few.

We flew through the fjords and then Michelle landed the plane on a small lake in the middle of nowhere. It was truly an experience of a lifetime! We got to get out and explore, and Michelle warned us to be careful on the mountainside. She said many people come back with wet butts because it is so slick. Well, Brian and Brandon take off exploring, and all of a sudden we see a small avalanche. Nothing that could hurt us but pretty amazing to see. There was also a beautiful large waterfall. My kids didn't want to leave and kept asking if we could go back just to do this again!

Well, guess who gets to get back on the plane with a wet and muddy butt? Yep. It's me. I knew that was going to happen! No one actually saw me fall, but they heard me scream. I had mud caked under my fingernails from gripping the ground as I was sliding down. It didn't hurt but scared the heck out of me. My family was laughing hysterically. Jerks.

So, my daughter and I start exploring together. I was worried about her because she was recovering from ACL surgery. I shouldn't have been worried about her. I should have been selfish and worried about myself because it happened again. Yep! I fell, slid down the mountain, and fell into a very small canyon type thing. I thought Brianna might have peed her pants. Loving daughter. Here's proof I fell:

We hated to get back on the float plane, but our time here had come to an end. Michelle took us home on a different route so the views would be different. Simply a once in a lifetime trip! We saw goats, and I spotted a bear but it really just looked like a brown dot from that high up. I would definitely do this excursion again with Michelle and her company if I ever go back! Michelle even let Brandon be the co-pilot on the way back, and he got to call in and tell Dan in the tower good night.

This is Michelle, the pilot, and one of her dogs.

We were trying to make it back to the ship for the 7:15 show, and we did. It was a juggling comedian. Of course, I had to skip out a bit early to get my muddy clothes changed before dinner. We had dinner at Parrot Cay and then headed to the Promenade Lounge for another round of BINGO!

Remember, we are now living the lives of Rock Stars, so we bought the electronic machine again for bingo. Plus, we had a set of playing cards from yesterday when we won (they give you a set to entice you back I think). Of course, Brandon took over the machine. That kid thinks he makes the money in the family. Well, turns out he does sometimes. HE WON BINGO AGAIN! This time he won $182 and again didn't have to share with anyone because no one else got bingo. We're thinking about keeping Brandon around, but still no more arcade! We're mean like that!

We headed back to the room as happy as could be. I began feeling a bit off due to the rocking of the ship, and we all went to bed. Tomorrow was a sea day and our DVC meeting.

Up Next: Will we get kicked out of our DVC meeting for a second time?

Susan

Last edited by disneypoor; 06-23-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #98
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

Quote:
It cost $2.00 to wash and $2.00 to dry. You pay for it using your room key. The detergent and softener is $1.00 each. I didn't stay in the laundry room, but I looked at the time and made sure I was back a couple of minutes before mine was finished because I truly cuss those people that think they own the washers and dryers and who leave their stuff sitting in there like they don't have a care in the world. You'll likely encounter some of those on your cruise, but I did see some people taking other people's stuff out and sitting it on the counter when they left it sitting there for long periods of time. Now, I wouldn't do that, but I was secretly cheering for the two ladies that I saw do it. Bottom line is that I think you can feel totally safe leaving your clothes in the washers and dryers but you should just plan to be back a couple of minutes before it finishes.

I want to say the washers took about 40 to 45 minutes and the dryers were about 50-55 but I may be off by a few minutes.

Hope this helps! Also, thanks for reading!

Susan
I would absolutely put the "left sitting clothes" on the counter. It is far more rude to leave your clothes in a washer/dryer that 2500 other people need to use than it is to take them out and place them on a counter. My pet peeve!

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #99
disneypoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork View Post
I would absolutely put the "left sitting clothes" on the counter. It is far more rude to leave your clothes in a washer/dryer that 2500 other people need to use than it is to take them out and place them on a counter. My pet peeve!
I'm with ya! Honestly, I'd do it to if the laundry room was empty and no one saw me. Then, if the people came in, I'd say it wasn't me.

Susan

Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #100
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

Quote:
I'm with ya! Honestly, I'd do it to if the laundry room was empty and no one saw me. Then, if the people came in, I'd say it wasn't me.

Susan
Good plan. Enjoying your report.

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #101
DisneyPups
Mouseketeer

Wow, just found your TR, and I'm so glad I did. You're so fun to read! Sounds like you had a great trip, and I'm taking notes for my July cruise. Definitely planned on the float plane and was still deciding between companies. I may have to check out Island Wings. Also, can you PM me the info of your Vancouver limo driver? That sounds like a great idea.

Can't wait to hear the rest...
DisneyPups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #102
disneypoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPups View Post
Wow, just found your TR, and I'm so glad I did. You're so fun to read! Sounds like you had a great trip, and I'm taking notes for my July cruise. Definitely planned on the float plane and was still deciding between companies. I may have to check out Island Wings. Also, can you PM me the info of your Vancouver limo driver? That sounds like a great idea.

Can't wait to hear the rest...
Thank you! We did have a great trip! I'd probably say we're more of the warm weather type of vacationers, but Alaska is something that was on our bucket list. We are so glad we did this cruise, and I'm sure it's something that we'll all remember for years and years! I was just so glad we could take the kids before they're grown and out of the house. It just seems like people save Alaska for when they get older, and we wanted to make sure our kiddos got to see it before we (mom and dad) got old.

Thanks for reading and so happy you found my TR. Having all of these groupies really is making me feel like a Rock Star. Heck, I might even go out and buy me a new Coach purse or something like that tomorrow.

Susan

Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #103
Michelle2
Disneyland will always and forever hold a special place in my heart
Travel is my obsession
poop!

Add me to the groupies! We are getting ready to leave in almost a week for this cruise! Ours is the July 5th sailing. Anyways, I have a few questions....

I have heard from others that have gone on Alaskan cruises that alot of excursion vendors set up near the port and offer the same excursions as the ship for alot less the cost. Did you see any vendors out at the ports when you first got off of the ship? I don't want to plan on this, miss out on ship excursions and then none be there....

And at the Mendehall Glacier, you were saying 45 minutes is barely enough time to get to the falls and back, but did you jog or walk fast the entire way? I would love to see that waterfall!

How cold is it? Is it pants and jeans weather the entire time or are there warmer times when capris can be worn? I would hate to pack for 2 complete climates, and don't want to overpack. What about swimming...were anyone in the pools?
Thanks so much, your report has made me really excited!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #104
disneypoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle2 View Post
Add me to the groupies! We are getting ready to leave in almost a week for this cruise! Ours is the July 5th sailing. Anyways, I have a few questions....

I have heard from others that have gone on Alaskan cruises that alot of excursion vendors set up near the port and offer the same excursions as the ship for alot less the cost. Did you see any vendors out at the ports when you first got off of the ship? I don't want to plan on this, miss out on ship excursions and then none be there....

And at the Mendehall Glacier, you were saying 45 minutes is barely enough time to get to the falls and back, but did you jog or walk fast the entire way? I would love to see that waterfall!

How cold is it? Is it pants and jeans weather the entire time or are there warmer times when capris can be worn? I would hate to pack for 2 complete climates, and don't want to overpack. What about swimming...were anyone in the pools?
Thanks so much, your report has made me really excited!
Welcome, Groupie! As far as seeing vendors at the port, the most noticeable place for us was at Ketchikan. We did walk around a bit in Skagway, and there were probably a few vendors there but I can't say for sure what they were offering. For Juneau, we left directly from the ship on our excursion, so I didn't see any vendors there although I'm sure they were somewhere. They were definitely in Ketchikan though because we almost booked something with one of them before our Misty Fjords excursion but were nervous because of the time.

As for Mendenhall Glacier, we didn't run at all. I did hear some huffing and puffing behind me on the way back because I was so nervous we weren't going to make it in time to catch the bus. I walked pretty fast and figured the rest had best keep up or get left at Mendenhall Glacier. It's doable if you get right off of the bus, go straight to Nugget Falls, don't mess around too long, and head straight back. Hopefully, by the time you'd do this, they will figure out that guests need more than 45 minutes! It's neat even if you don't get to walk down to the falls, but we were determined because we love waterfalls!

I normally wear capris a lot, and honestly, I only wore jeans on our cruise. It was nice for the most part, but I'd say it was jeans weather. However, it might be way different when you sail on July 5th. And, I'm kind of wimpy. I don't like to be cold. I've read other posters on my same cruise that said they wore short sleeved shirts, etc., and I secretly thought they must be insane. It wasn't that warm. In fact, our sea days were downright cold with the exception of Tracy Arm day. There were quite a few people in the pools at different times. The pools are heated to between 88-90 degrees, so I'm sure they are fine while you are in them. It would be the getting out part that would not be okay with me.

Good luck and happy sailing! You have to be getting so excited! Your trip is almost here!

Susan

Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #105
ariel39
Mouseketeer

weren't you going to be on our cruise, July 26? I just realized you were on our thread......

Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise July 26, 2011

Royal Carribean - Liberty of the Seas Caribbean Cruise - June 2010

Disney Magic Mediterrean Cruise July 18-28, 2007

ariel39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: