Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Just how crowded is Pop Warner week?

Ugh, I unknowingly booked our vaca week during pop warner week . They start 12/3 and we're going 12/5-12/9. We're staying at the boardwalk, so that won't be bad, but does the PW crowd overflow into the parks much? Thanks for any input.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

If you weren't aware of PW week from here you would probably never notice. I have been a few times with PW, didn't know anything about it the first time never noticed them. 2nd and 3rd trips read about them here on the Dis and was terrorfied of large crowds, they weren't that bad. We even stayed at a resort with them once (POR), the parents were rude and loud on the busses in the evenings but if I didn't KNOW they were PW people I would have just chalked that up to rude people and never known they were there.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

At the beginning of the week, they are in competition during the day and not really in the parks.In the evenings, and towards the end of the week as more teams are eliminated you will see them more in the parks.They tend to impact the resorts they stay at more than the parks.Still having had a few bad experiences with them myself, I avoid that week.But if you have been during that time frame before and never noticed it,I wouldn't start worrying now
Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
skibum25
Mouseketeer

How do you find out what special events are planned for your week? I think it's good to have appropriate expectations and have no idea if something is planned for the week I will be there.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Mickeyhuk
Mouseketeer

We didn't notice the crowds till the end of the week. We stayed at Pops and had no problems there.

My only complaint was that the cheering groups walked around Epcot 'cheering'. My dh and I really enjoy the music at the park and this was a bummer.
Mickeyhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/05/30...-disney-world/

This should help calm your fears.

Dan
POP, September 2011, 9 days Very Fun, Hot!
POP, September 2010, 8 days Magical!!!
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
MadiWI
Mouseketeer

We went last year during that time - and had planned the trip before we knew it was that same week. We did change our resort so that we weren't staying at their overflow options because posts I'd read on here made me nervous about that, but other than that change, they didn't really affect us at all. We stayed at AKL. We did notice groups of them in the parks occasionally, but I only remember one time when some cheerleaders were really annoying - and we just walked a different direction.

It was FREEZING cold that week in early December last year so if you go then, be sure to take some long underwear just in case!
MadiWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiWI View Post
It was FREEZING cold that week in early December last year so if you go then, be sure to take some long underwear just in case!
I wasn't sure whether to believe the various people who said they wore mittens during early december. I figured they were from warm areas and not used to cold. But I see you're from chicago, so I just added "mittens/scarves" to my packing list, thanks,

And thanks for the comments, folks. I am feeling better about PW now. I'm still not entire sure what PW is. The mention of cheerleaders is surprising.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
mikmouse
Mouseketeer

We go every year at that time (except for a few years during Thanksgiving) and we never have a problem. It is more crowded than many years ago because I think that time of year has caught on with many people. It is relatively quiet the two weeks before Christmas. My birthday is Dec. 6 and I celebrate it every year at WDW! Good suggestion though, is to avoid the All-Star Resorts and most of those value resorts. We stay at Fort Wilderness and we have a blast.

And, yes, IT'S ALWAYS FREEZING in the evenings especially. We wear everything we bring. One year WDW ran out of hats, gloves and scarves. Start out in Tshirt with a zippered sweatshirt, remove sweatshirt during the day, slowly put back sweatshirt, then add jacket over all of it, then scarves, hats and gloves. One time we put a plastic bag in our chest under our jackets to keep us warm. You would never know you were in Florida
mikmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
I wasn't sure whether to believe the various people who said they wore mittens during early december. I figured they were from warm areas and not used to cold. But I see you're from chicago, so I just added "mittens/scarves" to my packing list, thanks,

And thanks for the comments, folks. I am feeling better about PW now. I'm still not entire sure what PW is. The mention of cheerleaders is surprising.
Pop Warner is the Youth Football and Cheerleading Championships..Every year the descend on Disney the first FULL week in December.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
skibum25
Mouseketeer

I didn't get an answer to the question that I piggy backed on this thread, and I don't want to start a new thread if I don't have to. So I'm going to try one more time before starting a thread. My question is, how can I find out what special events are planned for my week? I googled a few things and but couldn't find a specific list of park events.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
mikmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum25 View Post
I didn't get an answer to the question that I piggy backed on this thread, and I don't want to start a new thread if I don't have to. So I'm going to try one more time before starting a thread. My question is, how can I find out what special events are planned for my week? I googled a few things and but couldn't find a specific list of park events.

Here's a good place to start. http://wdwent.com/

Annual Events are listed as well as each park's events and it is updated weekly.

Then, to find out more about specifics as Disney announces them go to
http://allears.net/tp/h_cpfaq.htm

Hope this helps. There's lots going on at that time of year and you want to see and do as much as possible. Good luck.
mikmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
skibum25
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmouse View Post
Here's a good place to start. http://wdwent.com/

Annual Events are listed as well as each park's events and it is updated weekly.

Then, to find out more about specifics as Disney announces them go to
http://allears.net/tp/h_cpfaq.htm

Hope this helps. There's lots going on at that time of year and you want to see and do as much as possible. Good luck.
Thanks. I don't see anything for mid-July so maybe I'll just be fighting regular crowds and not special tour group crowds. Not sure which is worse!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
Melmac
DIS Veteran

We were there for Pop Warner week a few years ago. The were not too bad in the parks during the day but they do come out in full force at night. As another PP said, it was mostly the cheering, EVERYWHERE, that got annoying. In line, on the monorail, in restaurants, etc. I didn't really think they impacted the crowds too much though.

Also, the Tuesday and Friday MVMCP were sold out due to the teams so take this into consideration if you are planning to go to one of the parties.

Sep 2013: Offsite • Nov 2012: Art of Animation (LM) • Nov 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter • Oct 2010: Caribbean Beach • Sep 2009: Pop Century • Sep 2008: All-Star Sports • Dec 2007: Coronado Springs • Oct 2006: Port Orleans Riverside • Sep 2004: Caribbean Beach • May 1990: Offsite
Melmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crowds, december, pop warner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: