Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where do you spend the most Snack Credits
Epcot 71 52.21%
Magic Kingdom 32 23.53%
Animal Kingdom 2 1.47%
Hollywood Studios 4 2.94%
water parks 1 0.74%
Downtown Disney 9 6.62%
your resort 33 24.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #31
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Snack Credits #3 & 4

I had honestly planned to use snack credits on more than coke floats! Actually I had planned to never repeat a credit, but it was so crowded and so hot and so humid - coke floats and a cup of ice were what I NEEDED. We were on our way next to see Indiana Jones Stunt show since we hadn’t seen that since we were kids. We stopped at Oasis for coke floats and a I asked for a cup of ice – did I mention it was miserably humid and sunny?

I think the number under the menu, the prop number corresponds with the release date of one of the Indiana Jones movies but DSis and I aren't geeky enough to know - just geeky enough to notice and to think it must mean something.

Drank the coke floats in the theater – which at first was not crowded but then – maybe 5 minutes before show time suddenly was packed. It was funny because the first time the computer tells everyone to move to the center to make room there was hardly anyone there. But just before showtime everyone decided to come in to escape the sun and have a seat and so the second time the announcement came on it meant something.
jegsnakkernorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #32
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Dinner at Caribbean Beach Resort

After showering and changing we went to dinner at Old Port Royal’s food court and got – as planned – the turkey and the salmon dinners at the Broiler counter. We hadn't read any reviews of this but by studying the menu online - this looked to be the most expensive items we could get with our QSDP and we wanted to get the most we could out of it.

Besides having overhead flatscreen monitors with images of the food and the menu, they also had displays of what each entree was:

We got corn bread and two sides each and we coordinated so we didn’t duplicate sides and after sitting at our favorite table on the outside patio, we split our sides so each got a taste (broccoli – perfectly steamed, mac n cheese – tasty, corn – so so, and mash potatoes with gravy – average).

The salmon was fresh tasting and nice.

The turkey was clearly roasted that day and delicious. We got bottles of water (to use in the park tomorrow) and refilled our drinks.

For dessert I had the upside down pineapple cake which I had trouble opening it and it ended up falling, upside down on my tray – an upside down upside down pineapple cake . DSis had the chocolate cake with Mickey sprinkles that she enjoyed so much the day before at Columbia Harbor House. It was very dark chocolate and rich tasting.

For those of you staying at CBR - you should really consider including watching the Epcot fireworks from the beach at Martinque to your itinerary - see my trip report for images.

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-13-2011 at 12:00 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #33
skatingmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegsnakkernorsk View Post
Oh so happy for you that you get to go to the World next month! I have never had a dining plan before but I always had one ADR a day when I went to Disney. I actually liked the flexiblity of not having to eat at a certain time, though to be honest I did have a detailed itinerary that I ended up sticking closely to. But the point is I didn't have to!

Also I think the QSDP is a good value (free mug and two snack credits and no paying for gratutity).

One tip for you in the busy time of July might be to try to go to the more popular counter service places either earlier or later than the main meal time - maybe shoot for getting to lunch before noon or after 1:30 for instance. Since we were eating breakfast by 6:45 each day, we were ready for lunch at 11:30, but if you get started later, a later lunch might not be too bad either.
Great advice about eating either earlier or later! We usually just have a small breakfast and do try to eat lunch around 11:30 so hopefully that will work well for us. I am excited to try the QSDP! At first we were going to make one or two ADRs but then we decided we should just enjoy the freedom of not having to be anywhere!

Great job with your dining review!
skatingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #34
CindyIsMyFave
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I too couldn't wait for Cosmic Rays - the original plan was to have dinner there the first night. I was all set to have the 1/2 chicken and ribs with two sides meal - that seemed like a big bang for the buck. Unfortunately I was too full from that Caribbean Isle Burger earlier when we were near there and too hot/tired to wonder to Tomorrowland from Frontierland so we ended up at CHH in Liberty Square instead. I never made it to Cosmic Rays the entire trip! Best laid plans!
Cosmic Ray's really is quite good. One of my favorites in MK b/c MK can be a little lacking in the food dept. The chicken is normally quite juicy and not greasy and DH liked his ribs in March. And he can be pretty picky about them! It's also huge and there are a lot of indoor seating options.

Most recent trips:
Dec/Jan 2011-2012 at POFQ (New Year's Eve) - Mar 2011 at WL - Dec/Jan 2009-2010 at CBR (New Year's Eve) - May 2009 at POR for 6th anniversary
60 visits and counting thanks to Mom & Dad taking me at least once a year since age 1. (32 year streak continues thanks to DH now)
CindyIsMyFave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #35
CindyIsMyFave
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think the number under the menu, the prop number corresponds with the release date of one of the Indiana Jones movies but DSis and I aren't geeky enough to know - just geeky enough to notice and to think it must mean something.

[/IMG]

Ahem. Yes. That would be the release date of Raiders of the Lost Ark. B/c between Star Wars and Indy, I would marry Harrison Ford in a heartbeat.

Most recent trips:
Dec/Jan 2011-2012 at POFQ (New Year's Eve) - Mar 2011 at WL - Dec/Jan 2009-2010 at CBR (New Year's Eve) - May 2009 at POR for 6th anniversary
60 visits and counting thanks to Mom & Dad taking me at least once a year since age 1. (32 year streak continues thanks to DH now)
CindyIsMyFave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #36
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Thanks, CindyIsMyFav!

Actually DSis and I are huge geeks - just see our lamenated itinerary cards for proof. But we didn't know that! Thanks!

And DSis had a life-sized cut-out Hans Solo in her room as a kid - well actually in the closet, mom wouldn't let her keep it out! I wonder what happened to that...
Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #37
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

I was so excited to see a QSDP review! Great start, I can't wait to read more to get some ideas for our next trip

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #38
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
I was so excited to see a QSDP review! Great start, I can't wait to read more to get some ideas for our next trip
Thanks! Congrats on your upcoming Anniversary trip! Jealous you are planning and I'm still unpacking...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #39
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Day three - 9 QS down, 11 to go; 4 snacks down, 16 to go!

Right at 6:30 we arrived at Old Port Royal food court for breakfast. We got another Breakfast Isle Bounty platter to share and a bottle of water plus two cups of ice.

DSis began devouring it before I could snap a photo. But it was the same as yesterday. (I know. I know. What happened to all my plans of not repeating meals and snacks? and of not eating burgers and fries? I know.)

But it was EMH at Animal Kingdom today and we had to eat and RUN!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #40
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Animal Kingdom Cuisine

We had planned to get cupcakes at Kusafiri Bakery but weren't hungry in the morning. So we played right on through to lunch.

The plan was to eat early - thinking 11:30 would be before the rush. But by that time Yak & Yeti Local Foods was crowded. No spaces at the few tables (and all were in the blazing sun).

menu

sums it up

We got one sweet and sour chicken and a frozen lemonade and a bottle of water (we had each brought one bottle of water in the park with us, but both had drunk the water by this time).

We then followed our plan of heading over to Flame Tree BBQ. We had read that there is a nice place to sit by the water and that the ribs are a must. I ordered the ½ slab of ribs, grapes (which you can order instead of the beans), the large drink (which was enough for two), and the chocolate mousse (which was pretty tasty actually).

I told you the drink was big enough for two!

I loved the sweet bbq sauce they have at the condiment counter – the spicy version seemed the same as the sweet but with pepper seeds.

Some people have commented that the sweet and sour chicken at Yak & Yeti is just chicken nuggets with sauce. They aren't the same as the chicken nuggets you get else where in the parks but they are battered, white meat chicken in small pieces. But every where I have ever ordered Sweet & Sour Chicken in this country, that is what it is. (The rice is at the bottom.)

DSis enjoyed the frozen lemonade.

There are a lot of different eating sections near Flame Tree and though the one closest the lake was full when we arrived, by the time we got through the line (which was long – they should have fastpasses for counter service), someone was getting up from a table. I always carry Lysol spray when I travel and we were able to clean off the table, which happened to be right next to the lake. We had such a relaxing meal.

Honestly the atmosphere gave me the sensation I was back at the lodge in Shimba Hills Nature Reserve in Kenya where I sat with my mom having lunch while watching a Fish Eagle diving for Nile Perch in the lake – other than the lack of an eagle fishing – the atmosphere was identical.

Well, except for the fact that the view looked out to Asia...

Last edited by jegsnakkernorsk; 06-15-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #41
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

This was a good use of a snack credit - don't judge!

As you know, earlier we weren't hungry for the cupcake at the bakery and it was so hot in the afternoon that we needed a snack break. We headed to Dawalla Drink stand for frozen Cokes. I know. I know. Another coke snack credit!

I was so distracted by the details in the place that I could hardly order – the CMs got a kick out of my appreciation for their workspace though.

We sat in this cute little hut behind the drink stand, with a view of the water and shaded. It was the most refreshing Slurpee of my life!

We had planned to have dinner at Downtown Disney tonight, but we were so tired we decided just to stay at the resort that evening.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #42
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

So what does this date mean?

After the mystery of the number outside Indiana Jones was solved, I wonder if anyone knows what the date here means?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #43
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Sometimes you have to admit you can only do so much...

While we had planned to go to Downtown Disney this night, Saturday night. We found we just didn't feel like getting dressed up and waiting for the bus. Instead we enjoyed the pool as long as we could and had a late dinner at the resort.

I had planned on Cooke's since we have been making a trip to Raglan's once every trip to WDW lately. And Wolfgang's is also supposed to be a great quick service meal option.

For dinner we sat at “our table” on the porch watching the water.

DSis decided to have the salmon which I had the night before with broccoli and mac-and-cheese as the side (which she promptly combined) and the monkey cupcake (which was peanut butter frosting on chocolate cake with mashed banana cream in the center).

I went to the pasta line and came out with chicken fettuccine with alfredo sauce. I wasn’t sure whether to have alfredo or marinara and the nice CM said the alfredo was her favorite.

She told me everything but the pizza is made on site and you can taste that things are freshly made. I was pleased. I also had the dirt cake for dessert – since when DSis had it I only got the tiniest taste.

I enjoyed the dinner.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #44
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

great qsdp - we always find the cs meals a chore in finding something different so looking forward to your reviews and recommendations :

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #45
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
great qsdp - we always find the cs meals a chore in finding something different so looking forward to your reviews and recommendations :
Thanks! I think it's so neat you live in the UK. I watch Graham Norton on BBCAmerica and it makes me want to be British just so I can understand more of the jokes! And to understand what some of the guests are saying - the accents kill me!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: