Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #436
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Wicket's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Ok I Have a December Trip Question If Anyone Would Care to Give Their Opinion.

Dilema - I have VWL booked 12/14 - 12/18 and 1 night at the Jambo house 12/13. It's a studio for me, Denny, and Nick. I wanted to book a one BR but the Denster said to go for the studio and since I feel like this trip is "iffy" I shouldn't borrow points for a 1BR. Once I borrow I am stuck with them Also - I'm not 100% positive Nick can take that much time off from school and its possible he may not go at all.

Flights for my dates are high - $250 high. Which is a lot for me considering the most I have ever paid for a flight to Orlando is $179. I'm serious. 15 trips and that's the ceiling.

So I was thinking if I change my trip to 12/14 - 12/19 (and cancel 12/13) I can fly home on a Monday and save some $. I have $100 credit on SWA, so I basically have to book SWA for at least one leg of the flight. Plus, its safer for me to book SWA in case I have to cancel Nick's flight and take the credit.

I can't get VWL for the last night, so do I
1. Waitlist the last night at VWL and book OKW as a back up.
OR
2. Switch the whole reservation to OKW. Apparently its wide open.

I'm torn. I want to stay at VWL for the holidays, but I have never stayed at OKW and its a bargain point wise. Plus having a bed for Nick instead of a pull out is nice. Plus its being refurbed, so we have a chance of a new room.

Denny says go for OKW, but I just don't know. I want to stay there, but do I want to stay there at Christmas? What's the chance of my wait list coming through. I really don't want to move for the last night.

All opinions are appreciated.
I've not been to either place, but OKW sounds like a logical choice. More bang for the buck & more pros than than VWL. Everything about it seems just what you need the Dec. trip.

BTW, my first time including a quote, hope it turns out right.
__________________
wicket's mom WDW-1975 thru 1985 offsite, stayed FW in '86
CSR '02, CB'06, CSR '09, CBR '11, AKL '12, AKL '13
Fast Passes, We Don't Need No Stinkin' Fast Passes
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline  
Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #437
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran
 
MAGICFOR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Ok I Have a December Trip Question If Anyone Would Care to Give Their Opinion.

Dilema - I have VWL booked 12/14 - 12/18 and 1 night at the Jambo house 12/13. It's a studio for me, Denny, and Nick. I wanted to book a one BR but the Denster said to go for the studio and since I feel like this trip is "iffy" I shouldn't borrow points for a 1BR. Once I borrow I am stuck with them Also - I'm not 100% positive Nick can take that much time off from school and its possible he may not go at all.

Flights for my dates are high - $250 high. Which is a lot for me considering the most I have ever paid for a flight to Orlando is $179. I'm serious. 15 trips and that's the ceiling.

So I was thinking if I change my trip to 12/14 - 12/19 (and cancel 12/13) I can fly home on a Monday and save some $. I have $100 credit on SWA, so I basically have to book SWA for at least one leg of the flight. Plus, its safer for me to book SWA in case I have to cancel Nick's flight and take the credit.

I can't get VWL for the last night, so do I
1. Waitlist the last night at VWL and book OKW as a back up.
OR
2. Switch the whole reservation to OKW. Apparently its wide open.

I'm torn. I want to stay at VWL for the holidays, but I have never stayed at OKW and its a bargain point wise. Plus having a bed for Nick instead of a pull out is nice. Plus its being refurbed, so we have a chance of a new room.

Denny says go for OKW, but I just don't know. I want to stay there, but do I want to stay there at Christmas? What's the chance of my wait list coming through. I really don't want to move for the last night.

All opinions are appreciated.
I think I would just save the points and switch the whole ressie to OKW. I don't really like to move, once I'm in a room, unless I am moving off site because I don't have enough points for the whole stay for some reason.
MAGICFOR2 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #438
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran
 
MAGICFOR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,936

Nice pictures, ladies! All the F&G really makes me want to book in March for our GG with our kids! Interesting that the streetmosphere showed up - they must be trying to up the fun factor at World Showplace!
MAGICFOR2 is offline  
Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #439
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,648

They are still a bit big but...bearable!

Walking around I apparently didnít get my camera out until the cars topiaries and flags, basically the same shots. I did catch this guy though.



The phone booth was hysterical

Mary Ellen calling Christine



Everyone else getting in on the action



Iím assuming Melissa is actually talking to someone here



Oh look, it must be Jen! In her very cute hat.





Heading back into the shops was a ton of fun. I have NEVER been back there and in any of them. There was a show of some sort going on so we cut through the shops to get back there. I was tempted by many things, but apparently all I took a picture of was these.





I do recall wishing I drank more tea. I like it but when I drink it, itís definitely a mug, not a cup. So many darling things though. Not only had I never been in this part of England, I had no idea Tigger and Pooh were back here! It was really fun to do a picture with them and, as Mary Ellen mentioned a darn good thing as it was my only character picture of the trip as well.

Tigger really liked Jen



The gang







The birthday girl











I think Mary Ellen enjoyed it



It was a great way to end our first park visit and we all headed out. Thanks to Jen and Pepe le Pew we were able to get back to POR far more quickly than otherwise. I was pleased to see my luggage had arrived and was really looking forward to seeing more of POR, most importantly, the pool!
eandesmom is offline  
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #440
vamassey1
DIS Veteran
 
vamassey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 3,243

Hi ladies! I'm sorry I'm late but May was just too busy.
I used the links to get caught up, but had to skip the chatter.
Can i just say I'm enjoying this trip so much. Sounds like everyone is having a great time. I can't wait to read more.

Mary Ellen on your resort question, the cheap side of me says book OKW. But I do understand the draw of VWL. The perfect place for Christmas decorations. Hard choice.
__________________
Newest report! Laissez les bon temps Rouler... Feb 2010...
My first Disney trip report! Hurry and Fly Away to Neverland



April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
vamassey1 is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #441
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 19,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I've not been to either place, but OKW sounds like a logical choice. More bang for the buck & more pros than than VWL. Everything about it seems just what you need the Dec. trip.

BTW, my first time including a quote, hope it turns out right.
It turned out perfect. Yes - OKW is the logical choice. Especially since we are arriving so late the first night. Might as well go somewhere with low points. I spent some time researching it, love the rennovations, and will probably change today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I think I would just save the points and switch the whole ressie to OKW. I don't really like to move, once I'm in a room, unless I am moving off site because I don't have enough points for the whole stay for some reason.
I don't mind moving after the first night, but I really don't want to move for the last night. I will likely switch to OKW today. I do really want to try it and I might actually find that the whole south florida theme is refreshing for December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Nice pictures, ladies! All the F&G really makes me want to book in March for our GG with our kids! Interesting that the streetmosphere showed up - they must be trying to up the fun factor at World Showplace!
Thank you! I do love F&G. Everything is so festive and extra pretty! And those characters really did crack me up. That just looked so fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
The phone booth was hysterical

Mary Ellen calling Christine



I hope I am posting the right picture. Can't tell until I get home! I want the one where I am cracking up over calling Christine. Like I said, talk about a dork. Look how easily amused I am.

Fun pix Cynthia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
Hi ladies! I'm sorry I'm late but May was just too busy.
I used the links to get caught up, but had to skip the chatter.
Can i just say I'm enjoying this trip so much. Sounds like everyone is having a great time. I can't wait to read more.
skipping all the chatter really helps, doesn't it? Glad you were able to get caught up. It really was a fun first day and we are about to become 6 as soon as I get the next update up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
Mary Ellen on your resort question, the cheap side of me says book OKW. But I do understand the draw of VWL. The perfect place for Christmas decorations. Hard choice.
Denny was the one who really wanted VWL originally, but now the cheap side of him is saying go for OKW. Since we will be arriving late the first night and since I have been wanting to try OKW for awhile, it seems like the right thing. I guess I just can't get it out of my head that I will be "giving up" VWL. I really wanted to see Ranger Joe again. but whatever I decided, I'm definitely going to Artist Point for dinner one night!
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #442
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran
 
tinacaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 3,784

Nice photopass pics! I really like the super cool border from the Flower and Garden festival. And...Cynthia...none of the shops? Really?
__________________
CSR - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
BC - 2011, 2012, 2014
POLY - 2012
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #443
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran
 
Curiouser&curiouser!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 577

Great update!

Okay I may have missed this, because I don't always read the chatter in between updates *Bad Curiouser!*, but where did Jen get that adorable hat! I am hoping that I can find the same one when I go in October! I just love it!
Curiouser&curiouser! is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #444
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 19,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Nice photopass pics! I really like the super cool border from the Flower and Garden festival. And...Cynthia...none of the shops? Really?
I think Cynthia is going to add some of Melissa's earlier PP Pix, too! I love her regular phone both pictures for that day, too!

Yes - really - she DID NOT shop! I almost bought a big flower from one of the other shops. Had it stored away and never went back to pick it up. I feel kind-of bad because I did want it, but I brought one home last year and it was awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser&curiouser! View Post
Great update!

Okay I may have missed this, because I don't always read the chatter in between updates *Bad Curiouser!*, but where did Jen get that adorable hat! I am hoping that I can find the same one when I go in October! I just love it!

Don't feel bad. I always skim through the chatter on other people's TRs. well, most of it, any way. I was hoping Jen would see the requests for more info on her hat. She bought it at a kiosk specifically set up for F&G, so I'm not sure if you would be able to find tha same hat again. However, I was hoping she might check the tag so you could do a google search for it.
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #445
manntra
DIS Veteran
 
manntra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,378

Awww great character pictures!!

ME...I would go for OKW....I just added on my first night there for October...you can't beat it for the points! I was going to fly in early Saturday am but I figured why not fly in later on Friday..stay at OKW and head over to DTD for some EOS and shopping for the night before moving over to BCV in the am. Brilliant right?!

I added the phone numbers to my iPhone...we'll be having some fun in October with the F&W patrons

Tracy
__________________
DVC Member 2007
Tracy Ziggy http://
manntra is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #446
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 19,003

December Trip Update.......

I DID change my reservation to OKW. I finally decided it was the best thing to do because of:

1. The low points
2. Not having to change rooms (Number one reason)
3. The late arrival, making the low points very attractive for that first night - 11 points - can't beat that.
4. The fact that I have been wanting to try OKW for awhile (as part of my mission to stay at all the DVC resorts, research and all that)
5. 2 double beds and the largest studio room (a bed for Nicholas)
6. Recently renovated resort.
7. We will have a car, so transportation is not a concern
8. Seems to be a persuasive group of OKWesters out there who LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this resort.
10. The "Florida" theme might actually be a real welcome by December.


So, there you have it. I will now be staying at OKW 12/14 - 12/19 and I booked my return flight home. Flying home on Monday was SO MUCH CHEAPER!

In about 9 days I can start my ADRs. Pretty psyched to be doing ADRs this trip. Last two trips I went with the flow. Now I am ready for a trip where I become the uber planner again, so watch out. I even downloaded a dining app on my phone. Love it!

I doubt I will update tonight because we are going to Brian's graduation. But I will definitely update by Friday!
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #447
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran
 
TanzUnited99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,781

Great pics! Love the photopass ones and the ones taken at the phone booths and of the shopping trip!
TanzUnited99 is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #448
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,648

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post

I hope I am posting the right picture. Can't tell until I get home! I want the one where I am cracking up over calling Christine. Like I said, talk about a dork. Look how easily amused I am.

Fun pix Cynthia!
You did! I'll try to remember to toss it on your CD when I get those made (hopefully this weekend!) but you should be able to download it from the link you have, it just means wading through all the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Nice photopass pics! I really like the super cool border from the Flower and Garden festival. And...Cynthia...none of the shops? Really?
You'll see plenty with that border! I have a version that's got the full square of the flowers but it's awfully busy with the 5 of us and the characters, I like the bottom border better for that picture

I looked but didn't take much in the way of pictures obviously. Still in day 1 picture mode lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I think Cynthia is going to add some of Melissa's earlier PP Pix, too! I love her regular phone both pictures for that day, too!

Yes - really - she DID NOT shop! I almost bought a big flower from one of the other shops. Had it stored away and never went back to pick it up. I feel kind-of bad because I did want it, but I brought one home last year and it was awkward.
Yes, I'm going to add Melissa's pics as well. I did shop, just not much but the positive of that is I really really love what I did get. I am quite confident Melissa, Tracy and Christine probably did the most damage...in that order. Although Jen did pretty well too!



Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
December Trip Update.......

I DID change my reservation to OKW. I finally decided it was the best thing to do because of:

1. The low points
2. Not having to change rooms (Number one reason)
3. The late arrival, making the low points very attractive for that first night - 11 points - can't beat that.
4. The fact that I have been wanting to try OKW for awhile (as part of my mission to stay at all the DVC resorts, research and all that)
5. 2 double beds and the largest studio room (a bed for Nicholas)
6. Recently renovated resort.
7. We will have a car, so transportation is not a concern
8. Seems to be a persuasive group of OKWesters out there who LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this resort.
10. The "Florida" theme might actually be a real welcome by December.

I can't wait to see pictures of the renovated rooms! Really looking forward to a TR for it as it's still probably where I want to buy and since I've pushed back buying probably until Jan, you might have some pictures up by then!
eandesmom is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #449
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
This is a very disapproving-looking teddy bear.
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #450
nilla
The sky is falling!
 
nilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
You should and you will be the first in line to apply if they ever open Disney Bethlehem!
You NEVER know. There's a water tower over by the community college that has been covered up with "refurb tarp", and I'm starting to speculate...
nilla is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: