Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #196
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrmommy2005 View Post
Does anyone have a review of Harv and Marv versus doing the Whale watching with Disney?

We are on the July 26th cruise.
I did the Harv and Marv whale watching tour with them in August, 2008. If they are available for your cruise, I'd book with them in a heartbeat.

That said, I am signed up to do whale watching with Disney on our cruise in August. I picked one of the excursions with a smaller boat though. I didn't want to be on the boat with 150 people.

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #197
nbrmommy2005
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkmahm View Post
I did the Harv and Marv whale watching tour with them in August, 2008. If they are available for your cruise, I'd book with them in a heartbeat.

That said, I am signed up to do whale watching with Disney on our cruise in August. I picked one of the excursions with a smaller boat though. I didn't want to be on the boat with 150 people.
How do you know which Whale watching excursion with Disney has the smaller boat?
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #198
Aby
Obsessive and Compulsive

From my research into picking my own whale watching excursion, I think that the trips with the smallest boat size are Alaska Whales & Rainforest Trails + Alaska Whales & Science Adventure (through the Gastineau Guiding Company). The next smallest are the Exclusive Whale Encounter excursions (through Dolphin Jet Boat Tours). The rest are with Allen Marine, with the largest boats.

Personally I picked the Alaska Whales & Rainforest Trails for the small size of the boat and the cool open window concept of their boats. Hope I chose wisely!

Aby
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #199
tink1963
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkmahm View Post

would you share which specific excursion you chose?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #200
tink1963
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aby View Post
From my research into picking my own whale watching excursion, I think that the trips with the smallest boat size are Alaska Whales & Rainforest Trails + Alaska Whales & Science Adventure (through the Gastineau Guiding Company). The next smallest are the Exclusive Whale Encounter excursions (through Dolphin Jet Boat Tours). The rest are with Allen Marine, with the largest boats.

Personally I picked the Alaska Whales & Rainforest Trails for the small size of the boat and the cool open window concept of their boats. Hope I chose wisely!

Aby
Thanks for sharing your research.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #201
Inkmahm
Disney nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1963 View Post
would you share which specific excursion you chose?
The exclusive whale tour combined with Mendenhall glacier. The boats are supposed to fit up to 35 people I canceled the Best of Juneau after reading reviews about the 150 person boats.

Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #202
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aby View Post

Aby
Glad I found this. Thanks for sharing your research. Based on this, I also just booked the Alaska Whales & Rainforest Trails (switched from exclusive whale encounter). I have found some great reviews online.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #203
pmoments
Mouseketeer

We wend with the a 5 years ago and it was great!! We are on the June 28th cruise and have booked with them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrmommy2005 View Post
Does anyone have a review of Harv and Marv versus doing the Whale watching with Disney?

We are on the July 26th cruise.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #204
buddywesley
Mouseketeer

Best of Juneau

So after reading the reviews of the so-so Salmon bake and the large whale watching boat (thinking we can see whales off the ship just as good?) We are thinking of switching to either the Juneau City and Mendenhall Glacier Tour OR the Mendenhall Glacier and Rainforest Garden Adventure instead. Figured we'd eat at Tracy's Crab shack too (instead of the so so Salmon )
Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about either of these tours?
THANKS

Disney Magic MR May 2005, Disney Magic Eastern Dec 2005, Disney Magic Western Dec 2007, Disney Magic Eastern June 2009, Disney Wonder Alaska June 28, 2011
buddywesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #205
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

I read through most of the 14 pages of this thread. AWESOME STUFF. But I couldn't find anything about any of the bike tours. I'm wondering if anyone has taken any of the bike tours. I'm booked on the 38 mile Yukon bike tour and have a few questions. I'm not too worried about the distance since I ride about 35 miles every weekened, but I'd like to know something about the route, elevation gain, expected pace, etc.

On a related note, when booking through Disney, is there any way to contact the tour operator for questions? Do you call Disney? Some of the things I'd like to ask about are pretty specific to this tour (like ... I have SPD cleats on my bike shoes, is there a bike available equipped for them?)

Where do you go for questions like that?
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #206
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclenut View Post
I read through most of the 14 pages of this thread. AWESOME STUFF. But I couldn't find anything about any of the bike tours. I'm wondering if anyone has taken any of the bike tours. I'm booked on the 38 mile Yukon bike tour and have a few questions. I'm not too worried about the distance since I ride about 35 miles every weekened, but I'd like to know something about the route, elevation gain, expected pace, etc.

On a related note, when booking through Disney, is there any way to contact the tour operator for questions? Do you call Disney? Some of the things I'd like to ask about are pretty specific to this tour (like ... I have SPD cleats on my bike shoes, is there a bike available equipped for them?)

Where do you go for questions like that?
It's been pretty easy to find the excursion providers online through a quick search as there aren't many different options in each port. Trying searching on the excursion name and city and you should find the operator for your questions.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #207
wdhinn89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywesley View Post
So after reading the reviews of the so-so Salmon bake and the large whale watching boat (thinking we can see whales off the ship just as good?) We are thinking of switching to either the Juneau City and Mendenhall Glacier Tour OR the Mendenhall Glacier and Rainforest Garden Adventure instead. Figured we'd eat at Tracy's Crab shack too (instead of the so so Salmon )
THANKS
I read, I believe on this thread. that the Juneau City and Mendenhall Glacier Tour was just OK. The Glacier part of the tour was good but the city part was a let down. Nothing to really see. I guess that is why it is only $1 more that the Glacier tour.

We decided to take the blue bus to see the Glacier on our own. It was a lot cheaper and then we will walk around the town our selves.

Here is the link http://www.mightygreattrips.com/tours/
Old 06-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #208
Diannah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywesley View Post
THANKS
At least for our cruise (5/24), the whale viewing from the ship is very minimal, at a pretty significant distance. If you want close up views, you need to do one of the tours. At least, that's the way it was on our trip.

Peace,
Diannah
Diannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #209
laurand201
5 Disney cruises and counting.

Alaskan Nature and Wildlife Expedition

Hi. I've enjoyed reading about everyone's adventures. I haven't seen anything on the Nature and Wildlife Expedition. It sounds great, a little bit of everything. It's six hours long in Skagway. If anyone has done it or heard anything, please pass it on.
Thanks!
Laura (traveling 7/4)
2012 Disney Fantasy WC
2013 Disney Fantasy WC
laurand201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #210
caniac27
Earning My Ears

subbing
AKV Christmas week 2012
Disney Magic Western 11/10/12
Disney Fantasy Inaugural 3/31/12
Disney Dream Bahamas 10/30/11
AKV 9/11
Disney Wonder Alaska 8/23/11
Disney Magic Northern Europe 7/6/10
Disney Magic Eastern 12/6/08
Disney Magic Western 4/21/07
Disneyland 5/06
Disney Magic Eastern 1/21/06
Disney World 2/11, 3/10, 12/07, 11/05, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999 and many more of forgotten dates!
caniac27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: