Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doingitagain View Post
Wow, someone else like me! Except I don't do the cleaning thing.
Well, we'll see if I actually do the cleaning thing. I'm up pretty early today because I had to take my son to basketball practice, but as you can tell, I'm on the computer again. I'm seriously beginning to wonder what I'll do for nine days with no computer. Scares the heck right out of me!

I see you have an Alaskan cruise coming up. I'll try to report back just as soon as I can after we return. However, by the looks of your signature, I'm pretty sure you are already a Disney expert! You could probably tell me a thing or two or three. Thanks for joining me on this adventure!

Susan
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder,
03/12 One Week in Maui, 07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay,
03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western,
07/13 Villas at Grand California, 03/14 5 Night DCL Miami,
05/14 Bay Lake Tower, 08/15 1st trip to Aulani

Upcoming Trips: 03/15 Disney Wonder out of Miami, 07/15 Maui
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Surprise! Someone else is traveling with us!

OMG! I completely forgot to tell you all about someone else that is traveling with us. My BFF, Toni, will be joining us on the Alaskan cruise. She has traveled with my family on several Disney cruises as well as to Hawaii. She lost her husband several years ago at a very young age, so we've adopted her. We've been best friends since elementary school, and she is just like family to us. Plus, she'll get onto my kids just as fast as I will, so I kind of enjoy having her around. She is no problem at all to travel with. She joins us on excursions and at dinner but she also does her own thing. In fact, she tends to book MULTIPLE spa experiences and sometimes even attends multiple spa sessions on the same day!

Here is a photo of us on our Dream cruise in February:

Okay, back to our regularly schedule program. Did I get the floors cleaned and get the suitcases out? You bet I did! In fact, I cleaned our house from top to bottom, and tonight, it's ready for us to pack up and leave. However, it will be completely dirty again by Sunday, so I'll have to do all of this over again. Remember, I live on a dairy farm, so the messes never stop. It's pretty normal for me to clean our entryway three or four times a day. Life on the farm is wonderful, but it sure is dirty!

I also managed to sneak in a trip to Kansas City today and bought DH some new khakis and a new pair of tennis shoes for this trip. He never shops, and it's not uncommon for him to start packing late the night before we're scheduled to leave and then figure out he needs new dress pants or swimming trunks, etc. This time, I'm not playing that game. He says he's good to go, so by golly, he's going to be stuck with what he's got.

I also forgot to mention that I bought myself a few new fleece items and some new running gear while I was in the city today too. I ran my first marathon in April, and although I'm not currently training for another run, I somewhat enjoy it, and the best way for me to stay motivated is to buy new running clothes. It's amazing how much more motivated I am when I have new running gear to put on! I'm serious! You should all try my method. It works! The fleece stuff was just too good of a deal to pass up. I got a couple of fleece pullovers for $9.97 each! They are the thin fleece, and they won't take up tons of room in the suitcase, so I couldn't resist. At first, I had one in every single color in my hand, but I decided to put two of them back.

What's on tomorrow's agenda? Laundry and packing. I refuse to wait until 10:00 Sunday night to start packing when I know we have to leave our house shortly after 4:00 a.m. on Monday morning. There. I put that in writing, so I really do have to start packing tomorrow, right? I used to look forward to the packing, but anymore I just dread it. It's way too stressful (and I'll admit I get a little, I mean a lot, grouchy) and my DH typically likes to stay out in the shop really late when he knows I'm packing. He usually has something he has to fix (wink, wink). Did I mention that my husband was also a very intelligent man? My kids are pretty darn smart too. They pack their suitcases and get the heck out of Dodge!

Here are a few more pictures from our Dream cruise:

I forgot to mention that a friend of mine went on an Alaskan cruise last year, and she has warned me about the seagulls. She says they are just plain ferocious. They knocked her plate off of the table at one point. She keeps telling me to watch out for them. Well, birds don't really like me. How do I know that? Well, let's just say in the last year, I've been pooped on a few times and even attacked by a Macaw at a zoo (I'm not kidding!), and I have proof! Here is a picture that was taken at Magic Kingdom before our Dream cruise in February:

Yep! They pooped on me. We hadn't even been in the park for an hour. My DH and children couldn't even contain themselves. Instead of helping me, they got the camera. I'm pretty sure it was the highlight of their entire trip. I'm just glad we made memories that would last a lifetime.

Susan

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor View Post
Well, we'll see if I actually do the cleaning thing. I'm up pretty early today because I had to take my son to basketball practice, but as you can tell, I'm on the computer again. I'm seriously beginning to wonder what I'll do for nine days with no computer. Scares the heck right out of me!

I see you have an Alaskan cruise coming up. I'll try to report back just as soon as I can after we return. However, by the looks of your signature, I'm pretty sure you are already a Disney expert! You could probably tell me a thing or two or three. Thanks for joining me on this adventure!

Susan
Nine days with no computer, what no onboard trip report?

Seriously, I am loving your thread. I am getting psyched, we leave in five weeks!
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #19
Ohana 4
DIS Veteran

Glad you got your cleaning done. Sorry I wasn't around earlier. Had to do a little thing called work
Hope laundry goes well for you. And about the packing...just get excited about the fact that you're packing to go on the trip rather than packing to come back! That should make it a bit easier

Your Dis Accountability Holder (DAH)

Ohana
June 2011 Wonder Alaska (1st cruise)
March 2012 Fantasy W. Carib. (Maiden Voyage)
Oct. 2012 Wonder Hawaii (1st 2-week cruise)
Dec. 2012 Dream Bahamas (NYE)
Feb. 2013 Magic Cozumel (Grand Slam cruise)
Apr. 2013 Magic Cozumel (1st Gold Cruise)
July 2013 Dream Bahamas (With BFFs)
Nov. 2013 Wonder in Carib. (Fall Fun!)
June 2014 Wonder Alaska (A return to Paradise)
June 2015 Magic Norway/Iceland (A dream come true!)
Ohana 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #20
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

No online trip report. It doesn't sound like the internet has worked all that well, but maybe someone who's recently been on the Alaskan cruise can verify this for me. Maybe, just maybe I could take my computer. I think my DH thinks that is what the vacation is all about for him---me with no computer. We'll see.........

I'm so happy I have a DAH! Excellent idea! Maybe I can pay it forward when I get back. Everyone should have one! I hate it when that thing called work gets in the way. I'm a teacher, so I have almost three months to be LAZY, and I intend to take full advantage of it. Okay, y'all got me. You can probably tell from my obsessive compulsive disorder that I'm not lazy, but I'm gonna do what I want (as long as the kids' schedules allow me) when I want for three months! Have a good night, everyone!

Susan

Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #21
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Good News, Bad News

The good news is: I got the suitcases out! I also got very organized today. I printed out copies of our airline info and cruise info to put in all of our suitcases just in case something would happen to our luggage en route to Vancouver. I also decided to make copies of our passports as well as all of our travel information to leave in a pile at home just in case our family would need it.

I had read on another post that someone had canceled an excursion but then never double checked Disney's site to make sure it had in fact been canceled. When they got on the cruise ship, it hadn't been canceled and they had to pay for it. As you know, I canceled one of our excursions so we could do the float plane tour in Ketchikan with Island Wings Tours. The excursion we had originally booked with Disney was quite expensive, so I printed out a copy of the excursions that show when I log in to my account on DCL's site just to prove that I do not have that excursion booked anymore. Probably didn't need to do that, but I sure don't want to fork out an extra $850 for an excursion I'm not going on. Plus, I didn't want to get thrown overboard or put in jail for a confrontation at guest services.

I also found my packing list that I typically use for our Disney cruises and tweaked it a bit for Alaska. I typed up a list of things each of my kids will need so they can pack themselves, and I did the same for my husband and I. I would post my packing list, but I'm not real sure how to do that on these boards. ?? I'm starting to get everything organized and at least in "piles".

Can't forget the binoculars and the Mickey Mouse umbrella!

Not much else going on around our house tonight. My DH is frantically working in the shop trying to repair some things that need to be finished before we leave. We farm, and our cash crop is soybeans, and we've had rain at the wrong times, so he is going to be lucky if he gets all of the crops in before we leave. Today was a hot, windy day, so that is good. We're hoping he can get in the field tomorrow or for sure by Sunday. We won't see much of him until we head to the airport Monday morning because this is a busy, stressful time for him. Hopefully he will be able to go on this trip without worrying about things back at home though. Send pixie dust our way, please.

As for me, I will spend most of the day tomorrow and Sunday at my son's basketball tournament. My son plays year round basketball, and my daughter plays year round volleyball, so they keep me BUSY! However, due to my daughter's ACL surgery, she cannot play competitively until August.

Here are pictures of my kids doing what they love (besides cruising, of course):

Okay, the title of this section of my trip report was good news, bad news for a reason. Here is the bad news:

The suitcases are out, but they are still empty! Looks like I'll be up late Sunday night!

Seriously, there could be much worse bad news, so I'm not stressing too much about it. It will happen. I work better under pressure anyway.

Until next time...........

Susan

Old 06-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We wiil board when you get done! We are also staying at Fairmont pacific rim. Have a safe trip! Leave a few Mickey ice cream bars for us!

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #23
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We're Packed and Ready to GO!

We are finally packed and ready for this vacation to get started! We have to be up and ready to walk out our door just shortly after 4 a.m., so I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight, but that's okay! Tomorrow at this time we should be in Vancouver, so all is well!

We are flying Delta, and they charge $25 per bag and $35 for any additional bags. Well, I tried as hard as I could to fit the clothing for our family of four into four suitcases, but it just wasn't working. So, unfortunately, we are taking five suitcases and just paying the price. Between the cost of luggage both ways and the cost to leave our vehicle parked at the airport for nine days, we could almost pay a deposit for another cruise! A lot of people complain about Southwest, but I think I will love them even more after this trip!

I've decided against taking my computer with me on this cruise, so it's highly doubtful that I will post from the ship. I did check out the cost to use the internet onboard just in case though.

Can't wait to get this Alaskan adventure started!

Susan

Old 06-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #24
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We wiil board when you get done! We are also staying at Fairmont pacific rim. Have a safe trip! Leave a few Mickey ice cream bars for us!
You will be one of those cruisers that I look at with envy as I'm exiting the ship. I always hate getting off of the ship, and that "See ya real soon" sign as you walk out the door gets me every time. I always notice the cruisers that are just arriving at the terminal as we're leaving and think about what lies ahead for them. WONDERful memories! Have a great trip! I'll have to tell my son that you'd like some Mickey bars to be left over! He's the one that eats gallons of ice cream and more Mickey bars than he'll ever confess to when we cruise! I have to bring plenty of dollar bills because he thinks room service is just something that should happen on every vacation!

Susan

Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are finally packed and ready for this vacation to get started! We have to be up and ready to walk out our door just shortly after 4 a.m., so I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight, but that's okay! Tomorrow at this time we should be in Vancouver, so all is well!

We are flying Delta, and they charge $25 per bag and $35 for any additional bags. Well, I tried as hard as I could to fit the clothing for our family of four into four suitcases, but it just wasn't working. So, unfortunately, we are taking five suitcases and just paying the price. Between the cost of luggage both ways and the cost to leave our vehicle parked at the airport for nine days, we could almost pay a deposit for another cruise! A lot of people complain about Southwest, but I think I will love them even more after this trip!

I've decided against taking my computer with me on this cruise, so it's highly doubtful that I will post from the ship. I did check out the cost to use the internet onboard just in case though.

Can't wait to get this Alaskan adventure started!

Susan
It is not a lot, but you can save $2/bag if you check in and pay online before you get to the airport. You don't have to print the boarding passes, so you could even try to do it from a mobile device.
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #26
PBader

DIS Veteran

I had to pay $230 Euros for excess baggage from Paris to Barcelona----I hate luggage fees

Safe travels tomorrow and have a wonderful cruise
BC 12/02, 6/12 VWL 3/03, 1/04, 10/10 SSR 10/06, 4/07, 12/09, 12/13 VGC 1/11BLT 6/12, 11/13Hawaii, 7/04, 7/07
DCL MAGIC 7/02, 1/04, 8/05, 4/07, 8/08, 9/08, 9/10, 10/14, 10/14, 10/14DCL WONDER 6/05, 1/11, 8/11,9/12DCL FANTASY 6/12DCL DREAM 9/13
Paradise Pier 8/05, 8/08DLHP 9/10 Costa Rica 1/08RCCL 11/08NCL 12/13

PBader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #27
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, I'm so glad I at least have a couple of readers. And, now that I know there are at least three DISers that do the same obsessive compulsive things I do, I can consider myself normal.
Susan
Okay sorry - normal NO.

DIS normal - YES!!!!
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Signing on to hear more. i loved our Alaska cruise except for 1 thing---it wasnt DCL!!! Can't wait to hear more
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
LuvEeyore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #29
Maribell
Mouseketeer

Hi! Looking forward to reading more! We leave on the June 28th sailing and can't wait!

Maribell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #30
Pocahantas
Dreams do come true - I'm now a DVC Member

Hope you are having fun! Count me in as a fellow OCD trip planner so I am joining as one of your avid readers. We sail on June 28th and have the same excursions booked in Skagway and Ketchikan so I can't wait for your reviews on those.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]12/02 CR; 2/04 CR ; 5/05 Pop/BCV/AKL; 10/05 POFQ/BCV; 2/06 VWL; 5/06 BWV; 12/06 POR/BCV/WL; 6/07 SSR/BCV; 10/07 BCV; 12/07 POFQ/BCV; 5/08 DCL/Vero; 2/09 BWV; 6/09 BCV; 9/09 AKL/DCL/BC; 5/10 BLT/Poly; 3/11 BCV/BLT; 6/11 DCL-Alaska; 6/12 DCL Bahamas Double Dip; 2/13 DCL W.Carib; 6/13 BCV; 10/13 BCV; 3/14 VGF; 6/14 - VGC; 10/14 DCL-Southern Carib Next Up: 6/15 - Aulani
Pocahantas is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: