Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #76
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Our first night at the Grand Floridian we just wanted a quick meal so we tried Gasparilla's. How could such a fine hotel have such lousy hamburgers? I nearly broke a tooth on some gristle/bone -- in the ground meat.

On the other hand, we've had great food at several other restaurants mentioned by PP's. Sounds like every place has an "off" night now and then. Maybe even Gasparilla's. shudder.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #77
NoraG
Mouseketeer

Jiko

We had a less than stellar meal at Jiko-a huge disappointment after hearing how fabulous it's supposed to be. Had the Beef Bobotie Roll-the highlight of the meal. The beef short ribs had a very small portion of potatoes, and very few veggies. For a $35-40 entree, I expected more. While it tasted good, it was not outstanding. I don't remember what dessert was and our waiter kept talking about how expensive his son's college tuition was and seemed to be requesting a big tip. He must of talked about it for 8-10 minutes-too long in my opinion. We might give Jiko another try, but only for a meal of appetizers. They seem more interesting to me than the entrees anyway.
NoraG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #78
beachclub
Mouseketeer

oh..one more i just remembered...
Trails end buffet was regretful
beachclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #79
FamilyDisneyLovers
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=csmommy;41334859]Thanks for asking. Thankfully no!

Our list is:
California Grill
Whispering Canyon
Mama Melrose
Teppan Edo
Biergarten
Kona
Crystal Palace - dinner
Le Cellier - lunch
Les Chef's du France
Wolf Gang Puck
Grand Floridian
1900 Park Fare - breakfast

Just got back last Saturday and have to say PLEASE DO NOT GO TO Chef de France. Service was horrible (rude), for was not great, and overall just not worth my time again. Our children ar 13, 10 and 3 are are great eaters, they even thought the food was not worth it. Whispering Canyon was overall fun (3 year old loved it), but if you are ordering the skillet be prepared for alot of meat and not much else(some corn and potatoes) Good but alot of meat to eat after a long day in the heat.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #80
csmommy
DIS Veteran
Believes that every time you hear or see the word Disney a Tag Fairy gets their wings

[QUOTE=FamilyDisneyLovers;41347172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmommy View Post
Thanks for asking. Thankfully no!

Our list is:
California Grill
Whispering Canyon
Mama Melrose
Teppan Edo
Biergarten
Kona
Crystal Palace - dinner
Le Cellier - lunch
Les Chef's du France
Wolf Gang Puck
Grand Floridian

Just got back last Saturday and have to say PLEASE DO NOT GO TO Chef de France. Service was horrible (rude), for was not great, and overall just not worth my time again. Our children ar 13, 10 and 3 are are great eaters, they even thought the food was not worth it. Whispering Canyon was overall fun (3 year old loved it), but if you are ordering the skillet be prepared for alot of meat and not much else(some corn and potatoes) Good but alot of meat to eat after a long day in the heat.
Oh dear!

DD chosse there & Le Cellier for her b-day meals b/c she is taking French.

2013 ~ 7/28-8/6 split BCV & VWL
2012 ~ 5/24 - 5/28 BWV DS 17th
2011 ~ 8/9-8/17 AKVJH & BLT
2010 ~ 8/7-14 WWOPP
2009 ~ 8/13-22 split AKVK & BCV
2007 ~ split OKW & BW
2005 ~ split AKLJH & Swan
2000 ~ POFQ
1992 ~ POFQ ~ no kids yet
1990 ~ off site
csmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #81
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

I preface this with to each his own... I don't regret going to Chef Mickey's for breakfast, but it's not one of the ones I would go back to (and it's not a dislike of buffets in general).

It was good, but I'm not crazy about the contemporary generally. Going once was good enough for me, and it certainly was easy to get to from the WL.
MightyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #82
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Wolfgang Pucks - because all 4 people in our party all got sick after eating there
Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #83
flamingglobessigmund
DIS Veteran

ABC Commissary, Lotus Blossom Cafe, and Contemporary Cafe. All had terrible food.

"It's just as you prophesied! The planets of our solar
system, incinerating. Like flaming globes, Sigmund.
Like flaming globes. Ah, ha, ha, ha..".~~Seinfeld
Me DH DD DS
AKL Club Level Jan 2011

flamingglobessigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #84
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I don't really regret eating at any one restaurant inparticular, since I do think it's only fair to try each restaurant at least once before having some kind of opinion on it. But I guess I'd say Nine Dragons. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special, and I can get the same kind of food at home for half the price.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #85
wolf29
DIS Veteran

O'Hana for breakfast. The most overrated meal we've ever had in WDW.
wolf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #86
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmommy View Post
Thanks for asking. Thankfully no!

Our list is:
California Grill
Whispering Canyon
Mama Melrose
Teppan Edo
Biergarten
Kona
Crystal Palace - dinner
Le Cellier - lunch
Les Chef's du France
Wolf Gang Puck
Grand Floridian

Out of these we have never eatean at Kona, California Grill, Whispering Canyon, Le Cellier, Les Chef's du France, Grand Floridian & Wolf Gang Puck.
We've eaten at about half of your list. The only one we will not go back to is Whispering Canyon. It was a greasy mess and we all felt sick after eating there. I don't like my potatoes swimming in grease. The milkshakes were good though, but they put whipped cream on them which makes them really heavy. I think that might have been what made us feel so sick. We didn't overeat.

Hate Chef Mickey's dinner - all mushy casserole dishes and Tony's Town Square food was overpriced for the quality at lunch.

We love Biergarten, Kona and 1900 breakfast from your list; also love Cape May Cafe for any meal, 50's primetime for lunch and dinner, Plaza for lunch, Trail's End buffet for dinner.

Remember, it's all opinion. You have to decide for yourself.

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's

Last edited by sharadoc; 06-03-2011 at 01:59 PM.
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #87
mill4023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic View Post
Wolfgang Pucks - because all 4 people in our party all got sick after eating there
I just want to point out that statements like these are really just guesses. People say things like this all the time and the fact is that it's almost impossible to know for sure what the source of the illness was. Some types of food poisoning can take several days to cause symptoms, so unless you get tested and find out exactly what you had, there's no way to no for sure what caused it. And it's also just as likely that the illness wasn't even caused by food. It could just as easily have been something that was picked up from another guest or some other source.
September, 2007 - Pop Century
June, 2011 - Indian Creek Villa

Fun family games for a road trip

The 9 best iPhone apps for a road trip
mill4023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #88
JerseyJanice
RIP, Max!

We've had some meals that we didn't love, but the only one I actually regret doing was our dinner at 1900 Park Fare. I regret it because the hostess was incredibly rude to us, and we still ate there. We should have walked out.

She led our group of four (two of whom were large men) to a tiny table next to a door where the wait staff comes in and out of the restaurant. I asked if she had another table, and her reply in a very hostile tone of voice was "It's all we have! Take it or take nothing!"

I wish I said, "O.K., nothing." The food was terrible--the desserts were good and I love their strawberry soup, but the entrees were bland and poorly prepared. We had to be very careful in getting up or sitting down so that we didn't bump into any wait staff as they rushed in and out of the door that took up one corner of our rickety table. My husband had one near-miss collision with a waiter carrying a pot of coffee.

It was bad. Really bad.
6/02 Wilderness Lodge
2/08 PO Riverside/Dolphin
8/08, 8/09, 8/10 Pop Century
10/10 All-Stars Music (FWF)
9/11 Coronado Springs Resort (FWF)
6/12 Wilderness Lodge (With Deluxe Dining!)
JerseyJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #89
Mom2micayla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazecat View Post
50's Prime Time was our worst experience in recent memory. The food was just so-so and the service was awful. We won't be returning there anytime soon.
That's us too. The pot roast was so salty I almost couldn't eat it. I hated the whole schtick they do, but could have handled it if we didn't have to wait 20 minutes after being seated to be waited on, never got refills on sodas, etc. I can't imagine going back there again.

Mom2micayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #90
kidd_freeper
DIS Veteran

Chef Mickeys.

Food is good, but it is ordinary buffet stuff and very very overpriced. Basically paid $125 for seven of us (5 kids) to eat pizza, hot dogs, meatloaf and ice cream.

Noisy.
Characters frightened my younger kids to death.
Long wait (45 minutes+) even with our ADR.
kidd_freeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: