Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #136
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doingitagain View Post
Any input on the following:
Skagway: Laughton Glacier Wilderness Hike and Rail Adventure

Juneau: Whale Watching, Salmon Bake and Mendenhall Glacier - Adult Only Departure (Shoreside Concierge said the boat was only 18 people)

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords Boat and Floatplane Adventure

We have a group of five adults, we are hoping we don't get split up.

Thank you!
We are doing these same excursions in Skagway and Juneau. On the Skagway Laughton Glacier hike etc. I did find a web site with a video on this one...

http://www.packerexpeditions.com/ala...ite-pass-train

From the review's I have read, this sounds like a fantastic expedition. I am not sure they are offering this right now though, as snow may be too deep. Hopefully in June, we will see some reviews from Dis'ers

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #137
Tink37
Earning My Ears

We are booked for the Classic Misty Fjords Flightseeing in Ketchikan. Does anyone have any information about this excursion? My kids really want to do this one because you land on the water and can get out on the floats.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #138
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
I'd post this question on the meets thread for your sailing.

We'll have to start an ABD thread for when the June 7th cruisers return.
Anyone worried they will cancel their ABD portion if not enough cruisers sign up? I'm on the 8/9 cruise and have booked excursions thru DCL just in case the ABD add-on gets cancelled for our sailing. I thought that someone has posted if they don't have 50% capacity then ABD will be cancelled.
Check with DCL, but last year (with the Med add-on) they coordinated it so that the date after which they would not cancel the ABD add-on was the day before the penalty date for the cruise. I think it was 85 days for that one. So after 85 days (or whatever it is this year), if they haven't canceled your trip yet, you're good to go, no matter how few people have booked. After that point, you'd know you were OK, and wouldn't have to worry about backup DCL excursions. One of the advantages of doing the ABD add-on is, if any of your excursions are canceled due to weather, you don't have to worry about being left in the lurch. Your ABD Guides *will* have alternate plans made for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
For those who may not be aware: If you book an excursion through DCL and your excursion is later than all-aboard time, the ship will not leave without you because it is Disney's vendor/partner who is responsible. If you book a tour independently that gets back too late, you are responsible.

- Dreams
Not exactly, 100%. If you are on a DCL excursion, and are going to be really, really late, the ship may not be able to wait for you (they have to leave the port by a specific time, they can't sit there forever, there might be another ship waiting for that dock, etc). If they can't wait, what they will do, is make sure you get to the next port to meet up with the ship, at their expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink37 View Post
We are booked for the Classic Misty Fjords Flightseeing in Ketchikan. Does anyone have any information about this excursion? My kids really want to do this one because you land on the water and can get out on the floats.
I didn't do this excursion through DCL, but I did do it through Princess a few years ago. Totally loved it! Misty Fjords is beautiful, and having the float plane land on the water, and getting out on the floats, was really fun. I highly recommend it!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #139
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Has anyone done the Alaska Hummer or Rainforest Island Adventure excursions in Ketchikan? We're looking for something a bit more active than just sight-seeing but also need an excursion a 5 year old can do. Thanks for any help you may offer!

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week

Last edited by poohj80; 05-31-2011 at 03:05 PM.
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #140
mgibson301
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
We are doing these same excursions in Skagway and Juneau. On the Skagway Laughton Glacier hike etc. I did find a web site with a video on this one...
From the review's I have read, this sounds like a fantastic expedition. I am not sure they are offering this right now though, as snow may be too deep. Hopefully in June, we will see some reviews from Dis'ers

Thanks for the link! I am debating between this excursion and the snow shoe one...leaning towards the hike. I read good reviews too on trip advisor but would be great to hear back from others on here.

[/url]
mgibson301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #141
neoavatara
Mouseketeer

Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink37 View Post
OK, I didn't do this...but my server Vicki did, and she had a blast...though she said she got a little motion sick. But small plane. But I heard the views are incredible.
neoavatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #142
sunshine state kim
Mouseketeer

We're doing dogsledding & -glacier-flightseeing in Skagway.
Whale watching with harv & marv in Juneau
Kayaking (some of us kayak fishing) in Ketchikan.
I have an embarrassing question about the helicopter excursions. Do they weigh you? Is it private or a big ole scale in front of everyone? All of us are well under the 250# limit, but still don't need the stress!
Also, how cold was it dogsledding? We're on the June 14th cruise. Looks like the temperatures keep creeping up in the ports. Don't know about on the glaciers though.
2013 Disney Fantasy 7 night Eastern Caribbean
2012 Disney Fantasy 7 night Western Caribbean
2011 Disney Wonder Alaska
2010 Disney Magic Baltic
2009 Disney Magic
2008 Disney Magic 7 night Western Caribbean
2007 Disney Magic Mediterranean
2006 Disney Magic 7 night Western Caribbean
2005 Disney Magic 7 night Eastern Caribbean
2004 Disney Wonder Caribbean
2002 Disney Wonder 3 night Christmas Cruise
2002 Disney Wonder 4 night Caribbean
2001 !st Disney Cruise! Disney Wonder 3 night Caribbean.
sunshine state kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #143
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine state kim View Post
I have an embarrassing question about the helicopter excursions. Do they weigh you? Is it private or a big ole scale in front of everyone? All of us are well under the 250# limit, but still don't need the stress!
Also, how cold was it dogsledding? We're on the June 14th cruise. Looks like the temperatures keep creeping up in the ports. Don't know about on the glaciers though.
We went dog sledding in Juneau through coastal and they did weigh us, but only the person checking our weight could see the number and she did not say it out loud or anything, i really wouldnt worry about it.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #144
staffieri
DIS Veteran

We need more review!!!!! Calling all Alaska Cruisers!!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #145
DizC1288
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
We went dog sledding in Juneau through coastal and they did weigh us, but only the person checking our weight could see the number and she did not say it out loud or anything, i really wouldnt worry about it.
WE have this booked for Aug. How was it?
Was there much walking?
Did they give you clothing/jackets to put on?
Boots?
Was it cold?

thanks
Cyndi
Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #146
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizC1288 View Post
WE have this booked for Aug. How was it?
Was there much walking?
Did they give you clothing/jackets to put on?
Boots?
Was it cold?

thanks
Cyndi
Not much walking at all.

They do have jackets to borrow if you need them, (not sure how warm they are, but defiantly water proof)

You get glacier boots to wear (they go over your shoes) to make it easier to walk, You are basically walking on snow.

We had a 60 something degree day with sun, so i was not cold at all, we didn't even need hats and gloves. I wore my rain coat as a wind breaker, with a long sleeve shirt and fleece vest. The day couldn't have been more perfect. You would probably have needed hats/gloves if it was colder and over cast.

Overall, the experience is amazing and the company seemed excellent. We were impressed, everything ran completely on schedule.

I hope you have the kind of day we had, absouletly perfect!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #147
Aby
Obsessive and Compulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine state kim View Post
When we took our helicopter tour in Hawaii, we were all weighed privately. The scale was turned backwards so only the person weighing us could see and nothing was said aloud. I believe they have to do this in order to figure out how to balance the helicopter properly, as they put us in very specific seats after we were weighed.

Aby
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #148
DizC1288
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
Not much walking at all.

They do have jackets to borrow if you need them, (not sure how warm they are, but defiantly water proof)

You get glacier boots to wear (they go over your shoes) to make it easier to walk, You are basically walking on snow.

We had a 60 something degree day with sun, so i was not cold at all, we didn't even need hats and gloves. I wore my rain coat as a wind breaker, with a long sleeve shirt and fleece vest. The day couldn't have been more perfect. You would probably have needed hats/gloves if it was colder and over cast.

Overall, the experience is amazing and the company seemed excellent. We were impressed, everything ran completely on schedule.

I hope you have the kind of day we had, absouletly perfect!!!
We are doing the one booked through Disney....is that the one one you did or did you book through a different company?

I am so excited to dog sled.....it is the one thing I wanted to do in Alaska!!

Thanks so much for your information *Ü*
Cyndi
Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #149
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizC1288 View Post
We are doing the one booked through Disney....is that the one one you did or did you book through a different company?

I am so excited to dog sled.....it is the one thing I wanted to do in Alaska!!

Thanks so much for your information *Ü*
Cyndi
We booked it through Coastal Helicopters. look them up, it will save you a hundred bucks a person for the same thing.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #150
staffieri
DIS Veteran

Any Liarsville reviews or Summer Musher Dog sled?

Would love to hear more reviews?

Did you do the Disney Liasrville with characters?
Did you do any of this on your own?

Love to hear about it....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: