Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Sassagoula Floatworks - Breakfast

Our mission for the day was to get over to Hollywood Studios pre-rope drop for Star Wars Weekends. We met my parents at the food court at 730. At 730, it was pretty quiet (keeping in mind that we went on a Holiday Weekend and from what I could tell, all the values & mods were booked) but by the time we left at 8, the crowd had really picked up. Not so much that there weren't seats, but it was noticeably busier.

Probably the best reason to stay at POFQ and eat at the Food Court is one thing: the beignets!

My Mom and I are both fans, so we split them. I love that they're made fresh, but I was a little disappointed that they served the serving of 6 in a Styrofoam container...they were so hot it melted the container a bit, and that grosses me out for some reason. Not that I didn't enjoy them of course

My Dad just had a bagel with cream cheese (they ahve both plain & cinnamon raisin) and some grapes. You can toast them yourselves at the toasters located next to the drink stations...one started smoking while we were eating (so after my Dad toasted his!) so that was entertaining.

Geoff was bad, while I was waiting for my beignets to fry, he sat down with his breakfast and started eating...with no picture! Honestly.

Anyway, he had a Mickey Waffle with fruit. ...he's learning, he did have a Mickey Waffle! The nice thing is that instead of the syrupy frozen fruit that you see for a lot of waffle toppings, this had fresh cut strawberries. They looked really good!

So breakfast was good, the highlights being the beignets (obviously) and the fresh fruit on top of the waffle!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

That photo of the beignets is amazing! I feel I can almost smell the fresh baked goodness!

All your breakfast choices sound delicious - I have never stayed at POFQ but judging by this, perhaps I should consider it!
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
ilovepete
DIS Veteran

I'm in!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #20
dekkerdisneydreamer
Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

What better way to start a day with a beignet! I will have to try that some time considering I've never had one!

Ah Geoff, you would think after all the trips he's been on with you (even during F&W!!!) he'd know to not start eating until the obligatory picture had been taken.

dekkerdisneydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #21
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

I'm in! Love, Love, Love POFQ
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

You had me from beignets!! I'm in too - can't wait to hear more. When I first tried a beignet I thought they were ok but the more I ate, the more I craved them so staying at POFQ worked out well for me. We're staying at WL next time and I fear that I won't get any. Can't wait to hear more reviews - keep em coming!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #23
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

SUBSCRIBING - looking forward to mama melrose review

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
undertheseas
DIS Veteran

Count me in!
2007 - POP
2008 - POFQ
2011 - Beach Club and POFQ
2012 - CSR
2013 - DL
undertheseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #25
phabric
DIS Veteran

Great start, I will be looking for more reviews.
phabric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #26
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

Fresh fried dough drenched in powdered sugar, is there any better way to begin a day at WDW than the breakfast of champions??? Can't wait to read more!

DancinDaisyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #27
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
That photo of the beignets is amazing! I feel I can almost smell the fresh baked goodness!

All your breakfast choices sound delicious - I have never stayed at POFQ but judging by this, perhaps I should consider it!
POFQ is gorgeous and the beignets are fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepete View Post
I'm in!
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Better late than never .................. I'm in
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerdisneydreamer View Post
What better way to start a day with a beignet! I will have to try that some time considering I've never had one!

Ah Geoff, you would think after all the trips he's been on with you (even during F&W!!!) he'd know to not start eating until the obligatory picture had been taken.
You would think he would know! In fairness, he hadn't had his coffee yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
I'm in! Love, Love, Love POFQ
Have you been since the refurb? Love what they did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
You had me from beignets!! I'm in too - can't wait to hear more. When I first tried a beignet I thought they were ok but the more I ate, the more I craved them so staying at POFQ worked out well for me. We're staying at WL next time and I fear that I won't get any. Can't wait to hear more reviews - keep em coming!
I inhaled the sugar by accident and had a coughing attack...powered sugar went everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
SUBSCRIBING - looking forward to mama melrose review
Coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheseas View Post
Count me in!
Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabric View Post
Great start, I will be looking for more reviews.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
Fresh fried dough drenched in powdered sugar, is there any better way to begin a day at WDW than the breakfast of champions??? Can't wait to read more!
No, I don't think there is a better way!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #28
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Mama Melrose - Lunch

When I first booked our ADRs, I had booked just Geoff & I for lunch at Brown Derby. But the more I read and stalked the menu, the more I wasn't feeling it. So after a lot of debate, we finally settled on Mama Melrose...and almost canceled that! I'm glad we didn't, at the very least it was nice to have a place to sit and relax in the middle of the day.

We checked in for our 110pm Lunch ADR just a few minutes early and we didn't wait more than a minute before we were being called back to our table. We were at the very first booth in the restaurant, so we didn't really get to see the restaurant too much.

Menus:

The plan for Mama Melrose was to just order a bunch of their flatbreads and split them. We were all on board except for Geoff so he ordered something else. We all started with the standard soft drink/water combination except for my Mom who had a frozen cappuccino. She loved her drink

We started off with rolls. They were warm, which was nice, but I don't understand serving this kind of roll with the olive oil & pepper...it would have made more sense to serve a loaf. But since we were having the flatbreads, I only had a bite or two of bread.

Geoff had the Goat Cheese Raviolis

I tried a bite and they were delicious! He ate every last bite, so no complaints here! It's definitely not all goat cheese though, they must use a ricotta to cut the goat cheese.

And then we have our flatbreads (and I'm sorry about the pictures...they get better! I tried using just my iPhone, so it took a little getting used to!)

First up we had the Carne D'Italia Flatbread: Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Pancetta & Spicy Marinara Sauce. I'm pretty sensitive to spicy foods and this? Was not spicy. At all. Tasty, not spicy.

Next is the Grilled chicken flatbred. Sun-dried tomato pesto, pancetta, asiago cheese, & chives. This one was good, but I preferred the last one...

Last but not least we have the mushroom & arugula flatbread. The All Ears menu has this with shrimp, so obviously they've changed it. By far my favorite, but I'm a push-over when it comes to mushrooms, arugula & cheese!

No dessert because I was hoping for a Starring Rolls cupcake (we were blocked by the parade though!)

All in all, we had a fabulous lunch. We got in from the heat and because we didn't go with options like the steak and real heavy meals, the lunch itself wasn't that expensive. I would definitely come back for lunch!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #29
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Geoff's gotta get with the program Kelly! First eating breakfast before a picture can be taken and now doing his own thing with the lunch order.

The flatbreads look almost as big as pizzas...how big were they? They look really good.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #30
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Geoff's gotta get with the program Kelly! First eating breakfast before a picture can be taken and now doing his own thing with the lunch order.

The flatbreads look almost as big as pizzas...how big were they? They look really good.
They were definitely pizza sized. You could easily split one and have a salad between 2 people for lunch...so 3 of them between 4 would have been plenty, if Geoff hadn't have messed things up!

The crust was really thin, which was nice (hence a flatbread I suppose!) Probably about the same size as Wolfgang Puck Express.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: