Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

May the FOOD Be With You...a SWW Dining Report! NEW! 7/5

I'm not new to this side of the boards...it's my favorite hang out

Here's our adventurous dining crew from a galaxy not that far away

First, there's me:

My dining horizons have expanded greatly over the years, but I'm still not a huge fan of tomatoes, raw onions, & peppers. I also don't have a high tolerance for spicy foods. I'll try almost anything once.

Next up we have Geoff, my fiancé:

He loves to try new foods, as long as they don't have tomatoes larger than what you find in salsa. Or eggplant. Orrrr stinky cheeses (yum!)

Then we have my Mom:

She doesn't like spicy foods either. Or raw onions.

And finally, but not least, is my Dad:

He doesn't like really strong cheeses, but loves cheese in general. If I want to try something, he's always game to split it with me

Now that we have our crew, let's get rolling!

Where we ate:
Sassagoula Floatworks - Dinner
Sassagoula Floatworks - Breakfast
Mama Melrose - Lunch
Raglan Road - Dinner
Sunshine Seasons - Breakfast
Tangierine Cafe - Lunch
Karamel Kuche - Snack
Cava Del Tequila - Snack
Flying Fish - Dinner
Jellyrolls - Nighttime fun
Sassagoula Floatworks - Breakfast
Outback Steakhouse (airport) - Lunch

**Restaurants will be linked to chapter as posted!

Last edited by onelilspark; 07-05-2011 at 09:58 AM.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

I'm sooooo in for this! Didnt you love POFQ? Wasnt it hot enough to melt the pavement???
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

You guys were fast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
I'm sooooo in for this! Didnt you love POFQ? Wasnt it hot enough to melt the pavement???
Loved the new rooms at FQ. Also is my favorite resort, so I might be biased

And I was dying in the heat. My parents (who live in FL) told Geoff & I we were wusses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Subscribing Kelly....looking forward to your reviews!

Great title, by the way!
Thanks Glen! I think it's the first time I've actually had a decent title
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Hopefully your reviews won't make me make even more changes to my own trip in August!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Sassagoula Floatworks - Dinner

First up! Dinner at French Quarter!

Our plane landed at about 730...more or less on time. We took off early, but had to fly around storms, so I was just excited we didn't have a real delay! Neither of us were that hungry, so we decided to just head down to Magical Express and catch the bus over to FQ.

After checking in (you can read the full story when I start my Trip Report...oooo, a cliff hanger...of sorts anyway...) we headed over to Sassagoula Floatworks to grab a bite to eat.

By this time we were starving

I settled on the Pot Roast with choice of 2 sides:

I picked mashed potatoes & corn. I asked them to go light on the gravy. I was actually surprised at how much I liked this meal. I wasn't expecting much from it, so maybe that had something to do with it. But the corn had a nice flavor to it and wasn't chewy/rubbery like some fast food corn can be. The mashed potatoes were creamy and delicious (with just the right amount of gravy!) And the meat was tender and flavorful. My only complaint is that there was only one itty bitty carrot hiding in the meat, it would have been great to have more carrots. Oh, and I thought the corn bread was a little dry, but by the time I got to it, I was full! Over all, big thumbs up!

Geoff had the Fried Chicken with choice of 2 sides:

He picked the collard greens & dirty rice. He thought the collard greens were extremely flavorful, but a little on the spicy side. The dirty rice he loved, even though half of it wound up on the tray And the chicken he thought was moist and flavorful. There was a ton of chicken though, we could have easily split this meal!!

After he was done:

After dinner we put our stuff in our room and joined my parents for a drink in the lounge:

I didn't take any pictures of drinks here, but one thing to note is that Tampa & Boston were playing the final game of their Playoff Series (Hockey) and they couldn't switch the channel because they weren't playing on ESPN. My Mom was a little annoyed, but we used our phones to stay updated on the game...yay technology! The music was nice, but a little on the loud side. Not too much else to say about it.

All in all, Sassagoula & Scat Cats get from us!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
I'm in! Hopefully your reviews won't make me make even more changes to my own trip in August!
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for your actions regarding my tasty photographs of food

(welcome!)
Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for your actions regarding my tasty photographs of food

(welcome!)
Nicki's trip caused me to make two changes ... both additions so a bit of juggling! My DH & DS say that I am not allowed to change anything else. C'mon it is still 87 days til check-in! They can't expect me to leave it alone yet!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Looking forward to your reviews. We stayed at PO multiple times growing up and we love the resort

by-the-way, I find that totally ridiculous that they refused to put the game b/c it wasn't on ESPN

Walt Disney World: making dreams come true! .... as long as said dreams fit in under our corporate umbrella

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
**NOW COMPLETE!** Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Great title!

Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

I'm in too! I am looking forward to reading your reviews and your trip report! Always like it when I run into another Up-state/Western NY DISer on the boards!

DancinDaisyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
dekkerdisneydreamer
Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

I'm here! Now back to reading!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Great start! I can't wait for more!

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nicki's trip caused me to make two changes ... both additions so a bit of juggling! My DH & DS say that I am not allowed to change anything else. C'mon it is still 87 days til check-in! They can't expect me to leave it alone yet!
My final change to our dining plans was made a week before we left...I finally was able to snag a later ADR at Raglan Road! I haven't touched my September plans though...yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
I'm in! Looking forward to your reviews. We stayed at PO multiple times growing up and we love the resort

by-the-way, I find that totally ridiculous that they refused to put the game b/c it wasn't on ESPN

Walt Disney World: making dreams come true! .... as long as said dreams fit in under our corporate umbrella
Too true. Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
Great title!

Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews
Thanks! Welcome along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
I'm in too! I am looking forward to reading your reviews and your trip report! Always like it when I run into another Up-state/Western NY DISer on the boards!
Hello neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerdisneydreamer View Post
I'm here! Now back to reading!
Thanks for joining me again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
Great start! I can't wait for more!
Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Quote:
Hey..thats TODD'S fault babe not mine I had no control remember
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: