Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
dtr_angel
You're really cute, but I have no idea what you are saying

Pixie Dust, Pineapples, & Plummits - a May 2011 TR - Updated 3/17/12

Hello! I wrote my first PTR so it's only appropriate now that we are back to start my first TR! We stayed for 7 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge on the dining plan from May 19 - May 26th. This was our 4th trip together since we got married on May 31, 2008.

Cast

"Moose", (me) a 26 year old nursing student, and I work part time as a pharm tech in a hospital, where I have worked for 5 years.

My husband, "Truck", a 26 year old college graduate who works as a freight conductor for the railroad. He is currently sleeping off his first trip back to work, and is not happy to be in MD and not in Disney World!

and because he will be mentioned... Nemo, our very lovable 20 pound, almost 2 year old furbaby.

Join me for all the ups & downs of this African adventure -

Pixie Dust, Pineapples, & Plummits!
June 1998 Offsite // June 2008 Pop Century // March 2009 Pop Century // August 2009 Wilderness Lodge // May 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge CL // May 2013 Art of Animation Nemo Suite // May 2014 Windsor Hills // October 2014 All Star Sports // December 2014 Grand Floridian, Beach Club & Windsor Hills

Last edited by dtr_angel; 03-17-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
dtr_angel

Table of Contents

Thursday 5/19 - Arrival, dinner @ Boma, MSEP at MK
Part 1 - Take me home, country roads
Day 1, Part 2 - Smooth
Day 1, Part 3 - The beginning of the end (2 consecutive posts)
Day 1 Photopass Picture

Oops, did I forget to mention we were upgraded to CL for our troubles?

Friday 5/20 - Morning at MK, dinner @ Biergarten, EMH at Epcot

Day 2, Part 1 - Let the memories begin!
Day 2, Part 2 - Willkommen

Saturday, May 21 - Happy Armed Forces Day!
Part 1 - It's the end of the world as we know it, but thankfully not Disney World! [ (2 consecutive posts)
Part 2

Sunday May 22 - Blizzard Beach, dinner @ Grand Floridian Cafe, evening at MK
Part 1 - Blizzard Beach
Part 2 - Our Grand Evening

Monday May 23 - POFQ, DD, dinner @ Mama Melrose's and evening at DHS
Part 1 - Wake me up before you go go
Part 2 - We finally made it to Hollywood Studios!

Tuesday May 24 - Epcot, Dinner @ Yak & Yeti
Part 1 - Epcot
Part 2 - Epcot
Part 3 - Dinner at Yak & Yeti

June 1998 Offsite // June 2008 Pop Century // March 2009 Pop Century // August 2009 Wilderness Lodge // May 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge CL // May 2013 Art of Animation Nemo Suite // May 2014 Windsor Hills // October 2014 All Star Sports // December 2014 Grand Floridian, Beach Club & Windsor Hills

Last edited by dtr_angel; 09-14-2011 at 02:18 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

I'm in! and first Can't wait to read all about your trip

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I'm in. can't wait to hear all about your trip.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Lidian
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Old 05-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

coming over after mostly lurking on your PTR.
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | April 15
ME(28)and DS(4)Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
Old 05-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

I'm here!
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
Old 05-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Joining in!

We were in WDW at the same time.

We are near the same age and I am also a nursing student!

Looking forward to the report!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 AM   #9
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Welcome home!

I SO can't wait to hear about your adventures!!!

Bring it on!

Dee
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
dtr_angel

Take me home, country roads (Day 1, Part 1)

On Wednesday we had a lot to do to get ready and leave for vacation. I had planned on eating an early dinner and being in bed really early, but of course that didn’t happen. DH ran and got us some Chick fil a for dinner and we ate before my parents came over around 5. I showed them where everything was (as if they didn’t already know) and said our goodbyes to them. They didn’t stay long since they knew we wanted to get in bed early. DH wanted to watch the Orioles & Yankees game that didn’t start until 7:05pm, and I remember telling him that was too late. By the time I finished packing and everything, I didn’t get in bed until after 10pm and DH had already been in bed for a while, so I guess he won: P The alarm was set for 2am. I was SO excited I couldn’t sleep, and I was keeping DH awake. This is apparently a tradition for me the night before vacation, but I don’t do it on purpose! We ended up talking for a while, and I tossed and turned.

I must’ve fell asleep at least for a little bit, because when the alarm went off at 2 am it woke me up and made me grumpy, haha. I got out of bed at 2:15, mostly because I had to pee and not because I wanted to get up, but I did anyway. We both got showers and I did the last minute packing and made sure we had everything. I gave Nemo treats, and said my goodbyes to him – I had to do it like ripping off a Band-aid or I would’ve never left him, I felt so bad! We were out the door by 4:15am, about 30 minutes behind when I would’ve liked to been leaving since we still had to stop at Sheetz & Walmart. It was really foggy out and that made me nervous.

We were at Sheetz by 4:17am – side note, for the beginning of our trip since I was the passenger and didn’t have anything to do, I was really specific on what time things happened – and got some food for the trip. DH got a large coffee, and we ordered our food – he got a ham, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich. Now before I tell you what I ordered, I have to tell you – we both normally eat really healthy, and were looking forward to letting go while on vacation and eating lots of things we normally don’t eat. What did I get? Plain oatmeal. Yep, I just couldn’t let loose yet. I didn’t even put brown sugar in it! Let’s hope that I was able to let loose a little more than that on the rest of our vacation, otherwise the food pictures could be rather boring! By 4:28 we were leaving Sheetz – even though we were the only people there, it took a while for them to make our food. For those of you not familiar with Sheetz, I feel terrible for you! Just kidding. Everything is MTO – made to order.

After we left Sheetz at 4:28 am, we jumped right on the highway to stop at Walmart. It was even foggier here than it was at our house and since we were going up the mountain I knew it was only going to get worse on the way to the airport. Now I’m a little disappointed, I think because I was nervous we left too late and had 2 stops to make, I somehow didn’t write down the exact time we arrived and left Walmart :P We got a really close parking space, and booked it into Walmart like we were on a mission. We had no idea where we were going to find it, but our first stop was in the back of the store in the electronics department. Yep, there it was – a water proof disposable camera for Sunday at Blizzard Beach. Dee had suggested one long ago and I should’ve bought one then. It wasn’t until a few days before that I knew we were actually going to the water park, and I had forgot about it until Wednesday. It was only $8.67, so I’m glad we stopped at Walmart to grab one, as they were probably about $20 at the park. On the way to the register I also grabbed a pack of napkins. That morning I realized we were out and all the picnic stuff was right in action alley so I grabbed them. My DH thought that was really random, but it wasn’t written on our shopping list and I’m sure we would’ve forgot about them, haha.

By 4:47 am we were on the highway on our way to the airport. This was our first time flying out of a small airport; normally we took a direct flight from either Pittsburgh, DC, or Baltimore straight to Orlando, which is about a 2.5 hour drive without traffic. Somehow it was actually cheaper to fly out of the small airport that was only an hour from us and it made so much more sense, I don’t know why we didn’t think of it before! By the time we were on the highway, the fog was gone which was super weird, but I was grateful. DH drank his coffee and ate his sandwich & hash brown almost right away because he was starving. I had to wait at least an hour after taking my medication since it has to be taken on an empty stomach, so I ate my oatmeal right before we got to the airport. Surprisingly there were no arguments over what we were listening to, we both have such different tastes in music this is almost always an issue when we are in the car together. The Garmin said from the start that we would arrive at our destination at 5:44am. I always like to see if we can “cheat” time, but it said that the entire way and that is exactly when we arrived and were parked in our parking spot. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to find the airport and how simple it was. Parking is free, and we had a very close spot.
I finally took the camera out of the bag and took the first pictures of our vacation!

Oh my goodness my face looks terrible!

These pictures were taken from right in front of where we were parked at the airport. I couldn’t believe how close we were! After we stretched and got the bags out of the car, we made our way to the airport. We weren’t sure where we were going, but the first floor was pretty much nothing so we took the elevator to the only other level – 2. We checked in, paid our baggage fees ($50 for 2 bags, ouch – forgot to include that in the budget!) and waited for security to open. We were the first flight of the day at 6:40, and security didn’t open until 6. They searched both of our bags and it was kinda weird to see them do it. I always assumed they did it anyway, but it felt weird watching them do it. By 6:06 am, we were in line to go through security. It was weird that everyone was so nice – we were definitely in West Virginia! The lady asked if I had any liquids, and when I said no she was like “that’s right, they were all in your checked luggage!” I was like okay, privacy invasion! But she was really nice. We went through security, but it felt nothing like it does at major airports. DH was behind me, and his tiny swiss army knife that I bought him was on his keychain, and they let him take it out to the Jeep. If we were anywhere else, they would’ve tossed it. In the process of going through security, the sunglasses ($5 walmart special) that we had just bought and he had never wore, broke! There is a story about sunglasses, but since I’ve been so wordy so far, I’ll save it for later. I told DH not to worry about it, we’ll buy some in Disney World. We sat down after we all got through security and waited to board the plane. A guy came around and put tags on our carry ons, since it was a small plane they would not be with us, they would be placed on the aircraft after we boarded and we would see them again in DC.

We walked up into the plane, and before we knew it our first flight was taking off at 6:39, right on time. By 7:40 we were getting off the plane at Dulles. Things had gone so smoothly up until this point, would that continue? Stay tuned!

Last edited by dtr_angel; 06-04-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
dtr_angel

Replies

I am so excited to see familiar faces from my PTR, and some new ones already too - yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I'm in! and first Can't wait to read all about your trip
Yay for being first!! Thanks for joining in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I'm in. can't wait to hear all about your trip.
I can't believe we were both at Jambo House at the same time. I'm enjoying your dining reviews & trip report so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
I'm here!!
Yay! I can't wait to read your TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunlenese View Post
coming over after mostly lurking on your PTR.
Thanks for making it over - Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
I'm here!
Yay!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Joining in!

We were in WDW at the same time.

We are near the same age and I am also a nursing student!

Looking forward to the report!
I'm definitely looking forward to your TR as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Welcome home!

I SO can't wait to hear about your adventures!!!

Bring it on!

Dee
Let's hope they don't disappoint! Thanks for making it over!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
dtr_angel

All my pictures are going to be huge, does anyone know how to easily resize them? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Great start to your TR! I've got my fingers crossed that the rest of your trip went as smoothly as the beginning!

(Are you using Photobucket for your pics? I know you can re-size and edit them there before you post here...)
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
dtr_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
Great start to your TR! I've got my fingers crossed that the rest of your trip went as smoothly as the beginning!

(Are you using Photobucket for your pics? I know you can re-size and edit them there before you post here...)
yes, I am using photobucket. I changed the size of the two pictures I posted before, but the pictures aren't any smaller
Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Your face doesn't look bad in the picture but the red eyes aren't doing much for you.

I think if I had to wake up at 2am I would not even bother to go to sleep. You shouldn't even be able to set your alarm for that time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: