Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #1756
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Winding down the school year and looking forward to summer. We are T-minus 12.5 months on Disney liftoff (Lord willing and the creek don't rise) so that makes me happy..in a longing and slightly depressing sort of way.

Hope the E clan is getting ready to enjoy themselves the mess out of some summertime break.

that's great news! And...time for you to start a PTR! LOL. Seriously though, you should!

I know what you mean, I think our next trip is now officially 18 months away...slightly depressing.

The E clan is not remotely organized for summer break and needs to get their act together! We still have 3 weeks though.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #1757
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

How are you getting home?

We first tried Teppan Edo in February of 2009. I enjoy hibachi and the group experience and its decent food. Nothing unusual or especially unique but the experience really “sells” it for my group. Teppan had been the ONE place that my kids demanded we go back to. I really kind of wanted to do all new locations but let them have this one. Even after the “vote” it still came up way up there on the list. Sandie had been kind of “meh” on the idea until she heard how much the kids loved it.

Nice thing about being a party of 8 is that I knew we’d have our own table so that might make it more fun. We’d had an amazing chef before and I hoped tonight’s could live up to that experience.

Arriving, it was as crazy in there as I remembered from before and despite the late hour we still had to wait a bit for our table. Once seated, the boys were quickly given some cheater chopticks

The rest of us perused our menus. They look so excited don’t they?

I decided something festive, to mark the occasion of our last evening was in order (NOT a sake fan)

The Mt. Fuji.

Sandie got wine, Paul some kind of cocktail and Jeff went for sake.

Somehow our new chef’s mickey mouse onions just didn’t have the same impact as before. Perhaps it was the fact we’d heard the “story” before, or he just wasn’t nearly as funny.

It really is fun to watch the process, you can see some of our entrees out there. Swordfish and Chicken at this point I think.

One volcano ready to blow

Veggies almost ready

Ah…Very sharp knife!

A little salt and pepper

I think this was nemo jumping…

Mnn! Veggies and noodles, one of my favorite parts of this meal

Time to put the red meat on

My swordfish

Evan’s shrimp

And a lot of meat for most everyone else.

Somehow, Eric became chef. I think it may have been birthday button related.

It’s not staying on very well is it?

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 05-26-2011 at 03:39 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #1758
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Out of nowhere someone comes by (a manager for some reason I think) and started making origami at the table with the kids!

Eric’s blue crane

A red one for Evan

They could “flap”

Kendall found a new use for the Mt. Fuji umbrella

She also got a frog!

Which hopped right out of this picture!

He looks like he’s going to attack the cherry

Being a girl and in a pretty sundress also got her a purple crane as well as the frog

She parked him on Eric’s hat

Which Evan stole and apparently has an even smaller head than Eric!

We played with those cranes for quite a while. Had tea, dessert, just hung out and enjoyed ourselves. It was our last night. Our chef wasn’t quite as good (entertaining and engaging) but was fine. The food was delicious, as before. But orgami guy made up for the chef and overall, again, a really great evening.

We got a little too relaxed though. At one point the manager came out and said
“How are you getting home tonight”
We looked at each other, confused. No one had more than 2 drinks at dinner (if that) and we weren’t really sure what the question was. He clarified.
"Are you taking a bus to a hotel on property or did you drive?"

We walked.

We plan to walk back.

"Oh"

"Did you know that they close the international gateway?"

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYTT????

I mean really, you assume that while people are in the restaurants, they wouldn’t close it, wouldn’t you?

But, apparently they do and there is a window, maybe 2 hours, I can’t recall, after park closing. The park had closed at 9. Which is about when we were seated. And our dining experience wasn’t exactly fast. I wasn’t sure how the heck we would get “home” if in fact the IG was closed. Couldn’t take a boat, I didn’t think there were actually Epcot Busses to the Epcot resorts (but don’t know) and my stress level shot up in a heartbeat anticipating some crazy monorail/ttc/bus adventure at midnight.

PAY BILL

PAY BILL FAST

RUN PEOPLE RUN!

It was comical

But not really

Paul has gout, he can’t run.

Sandie really can’t either.

A few of them ran ahead to see if they could keep it open, if in fact it was almost closed or being closed

It wasn’t.

A bit out of breath, but laughing we all got to the turnstiles and walked out.

No problem.

WHEW!

And with that adventure over, it was bedtime. We didn’t want to stay up as we all needed to pack, had breakfast reservations (and were ideally packed with bags at bell services BEFORE breakfast) and then make our way to…

The Dark Side.

A sigh and a bye

Last edited by eandesmom; 05-30-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #1759
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I would've been stressed too, imagining a very long detour to get back to a close-by resort.

Love the pictures with the chef's hat engulfing Eric's and then Evan's heads.

The food looks really good at Teppan Edo, but I still think I want to try different places since we've done Hibachi locally several times.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #1760
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Wow! Good to know about the IG closing at some point!! But it sounds like a lovely last evening at WDW.

Did I mention that I am looking forward to the Dark Side report? Katharina and I have a very specific reason to be very interested in your experience.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #1761
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Wow! I had no idea they closed the IG 2 hours after park closing! You'd think they would have just left it open for you until you were ready...odd. Glad you made it!!!! Just imagining the impromptu run after dinner had me laughing!

Looking forward to hearing about the Dark Side...oooooh...
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #1762
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I would've been stressed too, imagining a very long detour to get back to a close-by resort.
Exactly! That was the stressful part

Quote:
Love the pictures with the chef's hat engulfing Eric's and then Evan's heads.
Aren't those funny?

Quote:
The food looks really good at Teppan Edo, but I still think I want to try different places since we've done Hibachi locally several times.
I hear you. Oddly enough we don't do it locally, there just isn't much right by us and that's why the kids love it so much. When I lived in Chicago it was a regular dinner out for us but not here in Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Wow! Good to know about the IG closing at some point!! But it sounds like a lovely last evening at WDW.
The "point" seems nebulous but it is good to know that at some point that gets locked up. Warning would have been nice, we went from relaxed to full fledged panic rather quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Did I mention that I am looking forward to the Dark Side report? Katharina and I have a very specific reason to be very interested in your experience.
Ooh! I didn't know that! Fun. I have TONS to report on it and about a bazillion pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Wow! I had no idea they closed the IG 2 hours after park closing! You'd think they would have just left it open for you until you were ready...odd. Glad you made it!!!! Just imagining the impromptu run after dinner had me laughing!
We almost always eat dinenr at Epcot during EMH so it was never a concern, or were staying eslewhere and taking a bus anyway. I think busses run up to 3 hours after a park closes if memory serves. So the IG may have been 3 hours, I don't really know the time limit and I don't think we were there 3 hours but am not really sure. Possible but not probable, even with the wait. I'm guessing we were there closer to 2.5 hours after closing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Looking forward to hearing about the Dark Side...oooooh...
oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh the park that shall not be named...............
Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #1763
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Your meal looks great. We love those types of places too and go with Nicki and Todd every year in Naples -- the highlight of our meals usually.

I never knew the IG closed either. But I guess it makes sense since the buses stop running two hours after the park closes as well. Glad you got out and didn't have a long walk or a wait for a cab or tried to hitchhike.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #1764
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Your meal looks great. We love those types of places too and go with Nicki and Todd every year in Naples -- the highlight of our meals usually.

I never knew the IG closed either. But I guess it makes sense since the buses stop running two hours after the park closes as well. Glad you got out and didn't have a long walk or a wait for a cab or tried to hitchhike.
It does make sense and I know we've paid attention to it with the buses, not sure why we thought that it'd be different with the IG but I do find it odd that they didn't say something a little earlier in the meal so we didn't freak and run!

Hibachi is such a great group event.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #1765
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

WOW...who knew they closed the IG!!! That's crazy!!

I'm so glad you were able to make it back to the resort no problem!!!!

So I loved your review of Teppan Edo and I can't wait to eat there on this trip!!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #1766
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
WOW...who knew they closed the IG!!! That's crazy!!

I'm so glad you were able to make it back to the resort no problem!!!!

So I loved your review of Teppan Edo and I can't wait to eat there on this trip!!!!
So were we, it was scary for a minute! Teppan is a ton of fun, especially with a big group.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #1767
norybell
DIS Veteran

Your tea looked so nice! I would love to do that one of these days...next time I go with my mom, it's definitely happening!

I had no idea that they close the International Gateway! That's kind of obnoxious, really.
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #1768
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

Sounds like a great time was had by all for your last meal. I am looking forward to the "Dark Side."

Old 05-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #1769
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Cynthia the very fist restaurant Kyle asked to go to again was TE or the Volcano restaurant as he calls it !!Everyone agreed with him!!Also went with the consumers on my Free Trip and it was the most popular one for everyone !!!2 of our party got the Chef's hats too and a candle in their desserts !!!So yes it is for birthdays !!I sure hope they do the origami for the kids this August!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #1770
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Add me to the list that had no idea they closed the IG. Makes sense but I guess I never gave it much thought.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: