Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

We took our Parents to Disney!! **Recap of AK 2/24 Did we meet our goals? Completed**

Hey everybody! We are home from our trip and I have to say it was a great one! To review, we were in the World from 5/15 to 5/22 at Saratoga Springs Resort. We stayed in a 2BRV, it was DH and I, His Mom, His sister and Her DH and His Dad. My Dad also joined us on the trip and he stayed in a Studio Villa that luckily was right next door. The link to my PTR and my TR from last year are in my Sig if anyone needs more details or a recap. The weather and crowds were much better than last year at least the 1st part of the week, it got close to what it was last year for the last few days. We accomplished most of what we planned to do and had some really great meals.

Day 1 Sunday May 15th.

We had a lot of last minute packing to do Saturday night, which was exactly what I wanted to avoid but what could I do? We had a nice visit also with my friends from Phila who came up Wednesday and left Sunday morning when we left for the airport. My Dad, who drove down, left at about 4:30am on Saturday and got to Jacksonville at about 6p that night. There was a Mass at 9:30a for DH's Dad (it had been a year since he passed away on the 14th) so we headed there shortly after 9. We left the church at about 10:30a and headed to the airport. We made very good time and got to the parking lot, parked and unloaded the car, just after that a shuttle bus came so we didn't have to wait long for that, thank goodness because it was raining. The flight coming in before us (the plane we were going to be on) was late. It also turned out to be an Honor Flight, which if you've never heard of it before, is a group that takes the Veterans to see the monuments in DC. They are from all branches of service and from all wars, etc, these were mostly all WWII vets, there may have been one or two from Korea. They announce everyone coming off the plane and they had an Army Colonel and a local Assemblyman there to greet them. We saw one when DH and I went to WDW last year. It was very moving and my MIL was very glad to have been able to see it. I did get a couple pics:

The Honor Guard waiting

The back of the shirts read: "We can't all be heroes, some of get to stand on the curb and clap as they go by"

Our flight left about 45 minutes late, my dad was already in the Orlando area. I spoke to him on the phone just as the Honor Flight was coming out. He was at Walmart getting our groceries for the week. When we landed after a fairly smooth flight, he was in his room. we didn't have to wait too long for the ME Bus. It was a regular yellow Mears bus but it did have the cute little movie playing. Here is the only pic I could get of the entrance Gate:

My Dad waiting for us at the front of the Resort.

He took out carryons in his car to the room and MIL and I drove the 2 scooters that we rented for the week (the 2nd one was for BIL's Dad). MIL trying hers out:

The Lobby:

Our Room

My Dad's Door

Up Next Dinner at the Turf CLub

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort

Last edited by rndmr2; 02-24-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: updated title
Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

We drove the scooters to our room, in Congress Park, which was like the 2nd closest to the main building but was not an easy route to get there with scooters, we did find a slightly easier route eventually but the way we were told had us going in the street along the curb with no sidewalk for a small stretch. We then followed my dad in his car to where our room was and somehow lost track of Tim, so we had to search for him for a while. I don’t know what’s in his head sometimes -my dad eventually found him sitting on a bench in front of the next building. Why he would go there when he was let out in front of our building I’ll never know…

We took some time to get settled and unpack the groceries that my Dad had picked up for us, mostly breakfast items, bottled water and other drinks. Our luggage hadn’t gotten there yet but Amy, Dave and Raymond’s did. Our ADR at the Turf Club was for 7:35p but we headed over there at about 6:45 or so to try to get in early. I never did time the walk but it must have been 10-15 minutes.

We waited in the bar area maybe 15 minutes and then they called us to our table. We had a nice one by the window looking out onto the water (Is it the Sasagoula River?) Our Waitress came to take our drink order then our regular orders. She was nice and friendly but needed some prompting for refills, etc. and she wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer. The food was good, at least most of it was, my Dad wasn’t thrilled with his meal, he had prime rib, ordered medium well and came out pretty rare and it was not warm, even the potatoes or whatever it came with were cold. I told him to send it back but he wouldn’t. He didn’t want to hold everyone else up. Everything else was good and I think he liked the dessert. Here are pics of some of the food:

My salmon ( it is served on mashed cauliflower that was yummy, I wished there was more of it)

Tim’s prime rib (well done)

Amy and my Dad got the chocolate Torte

And I got the cheesecake (I think it was banana nut)

After dinner Tim, Rose Anne, my Dad and I went to the Studios to see Fantasmic! Nobody else wanted to go, they were too tired so we got on the bus at the Springs, which is across from the main buildings and headed out. It was crowded but not horrible. We saw the 10:30 show. I was glad to see it, this was the only night it was possible to fit it in with the schedule and our ADR’s and I wanted to make sure I saw it this time since we missed it last year. Pictures of this never come out right for me so I only took a few but I will post them anyway.

There were 2 whole sections of the arena that were empty at the far end and ˝ of the dinner package section that was empty. We were in the wheelchair section in the center with Rose Anne in her scooter and there was a family that pulled their stroller right into a wheelchair spot next to her. We kept looking at the lady but she didn’t care and nobody ever did say anything to them, I guess because there were other wheelchair spots open and it wasn’t crowded. Rose Anne did say she was obnoxious, though. After a pit stop, we headed out to our bus stop and back to SSR.

I will say the bus situation wasn’t too bad this week, even with 2 scooters, we were usually early in line at the bus stops so didn’t feel too guilty about being loaded first, and there were actually not too many times (in the earlier part of the week at least) where there were many standing. Most of the time the guys (even my Dad at 70, and Raymond who was in one of the scooters) gave up their seats anyway, which was good (and rare nowadays).

When we got back to the room everyone else was sleeping so we went in our room (we had the king bed room) and I wanted to try out the tub for my poor feet (I had gotten 2 blisters on Friday before we even left walking around at the Lilac festival, so they were bothering me) It was really nice.
Not the easiest to get back out of, especially when you drain the water out first

I took a picture of this before we took it off the bed

Next up: Day 2 EPCOT

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort

Last edited by rndmr2; 11-13-2011 at 09:21 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

Great start to your TR! Love SSR, have they finish the new pool section yet.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
Great start to your TR! Love SSR, have they finish the new pool section yet.
I overheard someone say it was done but didn't see it for myself.

SSR was a beautiful resort but it is very spread out. Our room was in a good location if you don't count the distance from the main buildings/store/restaurant. We were reasonably close to both the pool and the bus stop.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Candy30
DIS Veteran

I am in. Enjoying your report. Nice that you got to do Fantasmic. Can't wait to hear the rest.

All Star Music Sept 2001
Pop 2009 trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291582
Old 05-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy30 View Post
I am in. Enjoying your report. Nice that you got to do Fantasmic. Can't wait to hear the rest.
Thanks for reading! I hope to have an update later tonight or tomorrow.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

I am finally back to update with our Day 2, the first official park day.

We got a late start this day which was not really planned on. We had all been talking for weeks before the trip about how we were going to get out the door and going early for AM EMH’s or at least close to rope drop. Well, that didn’t happen. Everyone seemed to get up early but Dave had last minute programming projects to grade (he is a college professor) and Raymond had his heart set on seeing the shuttle launch, he had actually made the trip to Florida a couple weeks ago when it was supposed to launch to see it live and it was rescheduled. He did ask around about getting to the Cape that morning but the only way was in a cab and that was $$$ so he settled for seeing it on TV. So, we didn’t get going until late and got onto Epcot at around 11am

We took a few pictures in the front of the park, where the F&G topiaries and signage were surprisingly still on display (it had ended the day before).

After the pics, we headed to The Living Seas (sorry, I still have to call it that) or should I say “The Seas with Nemo and Friends”. After a very short wait, can I just say that the cue area is VERY dark? MIL’s scooter had a headlight on the front and she had to use it to be able to see to navigate. The little ride is cute and it’s great that they re-themed the area, but the nostalgic part of misses the movie they played, (and it rained, and rained, and rained…) I think my Dad and I were the only ones on the trip who had seen it the old way. I got quite a few pics of the sea life there, some are a little dark but I will post them anyway. We spent about a ˝ hour looking at the different displays, there were a few sightings of a dolphin and a giant sea Turtle.

Mine! Mine! Mine!

We tried to see Turtle talk with Crush when we first got there but they were having “technical difficulties”. They were back up before we left but there were a lot of people in line and we would have had to wait for the next show or maybe even the one after that.

Next up: The Land

Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

After we were done at The Seas we headed next door to The Land. I do have to say that this day (Monday the 16th) was a REALLY nice day and not too crowded, lines weren’t that long at all. We went right to Soarin’ and the stand-by line had just changed from 45 to 50 minutes. It was about 1145-12n at this point and I think the Fastpass return was maybe 2:30 or 3pm. We got in the Stand by line and my Dad wasn’t too happy but he kept quiet, He thought we should have gotten FP’s and then did the LWTL boat ride, the Behind the Seeds tour (MIL Rose Anne and I really wanted to do this), have Lunch and by then the FP time would be up but he didn’t say anything until we were well into the line. I had thought that too but I was so glad to see a Soarin’ stand-by time at noon that was less than 2 hours I just jumped right in! LOL Well, I told him to speak up next time. The line ended up being only about 30 minutes, anyway. We were in the last row and Rose Anne said it was funny when she noticed all the feet dangling, this was one thing she did get to see on her trip in March but she was in the front row that time.
After a bathroom break (there were many of these BTW ) we had lunch, it was really good, I had the chicken with potatoes and BBQ beans (different beans like lima beans and kidney beans but in a BBQ like sauce) and I couldn’t pass up the Strawberry Shortcake (that is soo good!). Rose Anne got the chicken, too but she had rice and the Chocolate cake, I think. Tim and my dad had the chicken caesar salad and a cup of Chicken Tortilla soup (I tried this, it was yummy). I forget what everyone else had and I don’t have any pics from this meal but here is a pic of the strawberry shortcake from last year.

I really wanted to try something new but I just couldn’t pass up that Strawberry Shortcake!

Next we went to the LWTL Boat ride. Nobody else wanted to do the Behind the Seeds besides me and Rose so we didn’t do it, we just did the boat ride. Here we are on the boat:

And a few in the greenhouses:

I love these Sunflowers:

Day 2 Cont'd next post...

Old 05-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

After LWTL, we headed over to Spaceship Earth and this Topiary was over that way somewhere, I forget if this was before or after SSE.

This is SIL Amy and her Mom (Rose Anne)

Me and Rose Anne

After SSE (I rode with Rose Anne and Tim and my Dad were in the next car, don’t know why they didn’t get in the same one… ) most of us went to Test Track-all but Amy and Rose Anne, we all did the single rider line, my dad wasn’t going to go, he went to the bathroom, but then after I came off he came out, he got in the single rider line not long after. I love that single rider line, we were all on and off within about 15 minutes total, maybe less. I had a hard time with my seatbelt and the lady sitting next to me had to help me . I took a pic of the ride pic just a minute too late for it to be clear, I forgot to get the photopass card from Rose.

Then we did Mission Space stand by, that line wasn’t bad either, maybe 5-10 minutes for the green and 10-15 for the Orange. Dave did the Orange and I went with my Dad and Raymond to the Green. I kind of wanted to do Orange but I was a little apprehensive because I had never been so I did green, If/when I go on it again I will do the Orange. Tim wouldn’t go for some reason, but after riding it, I think he really would have liked it.

We then headed over to World Showcase, we planned to take the boat to Morocco then go over to the American Adventure as Dave and Amy wanted to see the Voices of Liberty and their last show was 5pm or something like that. We had a Photopass pic done and then took other random pics on the way to the boat, lots of the F&G stuff was still out, and most of it was for the whole week.

I think this is the first group picture I have posted (or that we have really taken besides the LWTL pic) so I will identify everyone—Raymond is on the Left, Dave and Amy (in yellow) are next, then Rose Anne and Me both in pink, my DH Tim is behind/between us and my Dad is behind Me.

I like this pic of SSE with the fountain

Some Winnie the Pooh and Friends topiaries

Other F&G pics:

In Morocco

Japan

Next post- Voices of Liberty:

Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

When we got to the American Adventure, there was about 10-15 minutes or so before The Voices of Liberty were coming on so we waited in the a/c, we waited downstairs at first, then Rose Anne and my Dad and I went upstairs to be able to go into the show for the wheelchair access (elevator), the rest waited downstairs and then went in the regular way, we met up outside. Dave really wanted to see the Voices, he has a real love for music of any kind, he is a choral director at church and he is a member and director of a Barbershop quartet and chorus so he was in his element for this.

Here are a couple videos

After the American Adventure show, I love that show by the way, it is so moving, I get teary every time, Rose Anne said she really liked it, too, we headed back to Japan to see the drummers, we caught the end of a performance earlier and everyone wanted to see the whole thing, they are cool, it was actually a different show, but that was good.

More pics along the way, this is the “Tangled” tower, I don’t know if this is F & G related or not…

The train Village, there were a couple trains going, I think at least one of them was related to the Kim Possible missions:

And I finally made it here:

They were doing up a new batch of these babies:

I used a snack credit for one, it was yummy, I wanted to try more things but it was getting close to our dinner time and it was warm out and I was afraid it would melt, too.

Here are a couple more goodies

I didn’t get any food pics at the Biergarten but here are a couple of the band, the food here was really good, though, they had a cauliflower soup that was really good with those pretzel rolls

One last pic from Epcot…

After dinner, we went out to the lagoon just in front of Germany to watch Illuminations, it was a pretty good spot, I didn’t take any pics as they never turn out for me so I just sat back at watched the show. We went back to the room, it was kind of a far walk to the bus stop for SSR and we had to wait for the next bus because they already had a scooter on it and we had 2 to load. We could have split up but we just all waited. We all went in the pool and hot tub for about an hour before turning in.

Next up: Day 3, Hollywood Studios

Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
ctink23
Mouseketeer

Great trip report so far! Can't wait to read more!

I *think* I will be taking a family trip with my mom, dad, brother, aunt, uncle, and cousin sometime next year (probably January). Did you like the 2 bedroom villa? Did it work out well with 6 adults?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctink23 View Post
Great trip report so far! Can't wait to read more!

I *think* I will be taking a family trip with my mom, dad, brother, aunt, uncle, and cousin sometime next year (probably January). Did you like the 2 bedroom villa? Did it work out well with 6 adults?
Welcome and thanks for reading! The 2 bedroom Villa worked out pretty well for us. It might be a little tight for 7 or 8, which is what they sleep but that is assuming everyone will be sharing beds. DH Tim and I had the master BR with the king bed, BIL's Dad Raymond slept on the couch and Amy and Dave had the second BR with Rose Anne, there were 2 beds in there, I think they were queen. I don't think I got any pictures in that part of the room. When my dad and Raymond joined us, we tried to get a 3 bedroom or a treehouse villa but they were all booked.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

sorry duplicate post, had a computer issue

Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
jegsnakkernorsk
long time lurker

i'm subbing.

My parents took my grandmothers - gosh maybe ten years ago - and they both had their Disney scooters. They had a great time zipping around Epcot and MGM. They even would race each other! My parents could hardly keep up with their moms and started to think they were worse then us kids.

your TR reminds me of their stories from that trip.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegsnakkernorsk View Post
i'm subbing.

My parents took my grandmothers - gosh maybe ten years ago - and they both had their Disney scooters. They had a great time zipping around Epcot and MGM. They even would race each other! My parents could hardly keep up with their moms and started to think they were worse then us kids.

your TR reminds me of their stories from that trip.
Yeah it was quite the experience with 2 scooters! It became a running joke/competition to see who could get onto the bus the quickest without crashing into anything ! LOL

Looks like you have a trip coming up soon, I bet you are excited!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: