Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #76
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandkam View Post
Skagway - Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Experience - We thought this one was pretty lame. You spent most of the time on the bus and then modified ARMY vehicle getting up to the camp. We only spent maybe 15 minutes on the sled with a guy who spent most of his time telling us that he needed to raise money and sponsors for his Iditarod (sp?) race. Would not do this one again, but some of the scenery getting up there was nice.
How many people were on the tour, and how many other tours were there at the same time?

I've got this booked for my family with three littler girls - how would you rate it for kids?

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #77
sabrecmc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutsmom99 View Post
Thanks to both of you for the great details. We have the Yukon Expedition booked through Disney, but I'm totally considering switching to Chilkoot. Can I ask how much your excursions cost? I notice they don't have pricing on the website.
Our tour, with the 15 minute dog sled ride, was $206/adult and $147/child.
sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #78
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutsmom99 View Post
Thanks to both of you for the great details. We have the Yukon Expedition booked through Disney, but I'm totally considering switching to Chilkoot. Can I ask how much your excursions cost? I notice they don't have pricing on the website.
For mine, I dont remember the actually price but it was 35 dollars less than disney i belive for the same exact thing, and you have a van versus a huge bus.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #79
discruiser
DVC Member SSR-VB-AKV

Location: Friendswood, Texas - about 40 minutes from the Magic's new home in Galveston!

Question Anyone do the Disney Exclusive Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan?

Just wondering what you thought of it. Did you enjoy it? Did your kids enjoy it? Was it worth the money?

Anyone know how this special "Disney" show differs from the regular show? For my family of 6, we could save about $50 by attending the non-Disney show (and buying tickets directly from the company). Just wondering what makes the Disney show special.

Thanks!

Ft. Wilderness ~ Nov 2001; Holiday Inn Family Suites ~ Nov 2002; Disney Magic ~ Nov 2003; Disney Wonder ~ March 2004; SSR/VB ~ May-June 2005; SSR ~ Dec 2005; SSR ~ March 2006; BCV/VB ~ May-June 2006; Disney Magic ~ March 2007; BCV/VB ~ May-June 2007; AKV ~ Dec-Jan 2007/2008; DL Grand Californian and Magic EB Panama Canal Cruise ~ Aug 2008; OKW ~ March 2009; AKV/VB ~ June 2009; Thanksgiving on the Magic ~ Nov 2009; OKW ~ June 2010; Christmas on the Magic ~ Dec 2010; Disney Dream ~ March 2011; Wonder in Alaska ~ June 2011; Back 2 Back on the Disney Dream ~ Thanksgiving 2011; Disney Fantasy, VB Beach Cottage & AKV Grand Villa vacation with friends ~ June/July 2012; Thanksgiving on the Magic sailing out of Galveston! ~ Nov 2012; New Year's Eve at Disney's Aulani ~ Dec 2012/Jan 2013; Back to Back on the Magic in the Med ~ Jun/July 2013; Girls Cruise on the Dream ~ Sept 2013
Upcoming Trips: Spring Break on the *New* Magic ~ March 2014; Two Week Trip to the World ~ June 2014; Girls Cruise on the Fantasy ~ Sept 2014
discruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #80
Cliffside
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discruiser View Post
Just wondering what you thought of it. Did you enjoy it? Did your kids enjoy it? Was it worth the money?

Anyone know how this special "Disney" show differs from the regular show? For my family of 6, we could save about $50 by attending the non-Disney show (and buying tickets directly from the company). Just wondering what makes the Disney show special.

Thanks!
Actually I was able to book the Disney Exclusive one right on their website for the cheaper price and DD counted as a kid because she is 11. I wasn't originally looking to circumvent the system but my other excursion I have booked with Disney made it seem like the times overlapped even though it shouldn't. The show I think starts at 4:45 but the meeting time DCL has listed is earlier.
January 2,2014 Disney Magic Bahamas
October 2013 BCV
June 27, 2013 Disney Magic in Med w/ Venice
March 2013 BLT
August 12, 2012 Disney Magic to Canada
March 31,2012 Maiden Voyage Disney Fantasy-Western
August 23, 2011 Disney Wonder -Alaska
April 17,2011 Disney Dream/AKL
August 18th 2010 Disney Magic in the Mediterranean
October 31st 2009 Disney Magic Western
August 2009 DL Grand Californian
February 2009 BCV
November 2008 Disney Magic Western
April 2008 BCV
November 2007 Disney Magic Western
April 2007 POFQ
April 2006 Disney Magic Eastern
April 2005 Land/Sea POFQ/Disney Wonder
April 2004 POFQ
Cliffside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #81
discruiser
DVC Member SSR-VB-AKV

Location: Friendswood, Texas - about 40 minutes from the Magic's new home in Galveston!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffside View Post
Actually I was able to book the Disney Exclusive one right on their website for the cheaper price and DD counted as a kid because she is 11. I wasn't originally looking to circumvent the system but my other excursion I have booked with Disney made it seem like the times overlapped even though it shouldn't. The show I think starts at 4:45 but the meeting time DCL has listed is earlier.
Unfortunately, their website is showing the Disney show as sold out for the day we're going to be in Ketchikan. I also have an 11 year old and hate to pay the adult price for her when the website would only charge a child's rate for her. I may switch to the earlier, non-Disney show and just buy the tickets on the website. I emailed the company and she said the Disney show is no longer than the regular show, even though the website makes it appear to be 30 minutes longer. We also have early dining so the Disney show would interfere with our dinner time.

Ft. Wilderness ~ Nov 2001; Holiday Inn Family Suites ~ Nov 2002; Disney Magic ~ Nov 2003; Disney Wonder ~ March 2004; SSR/VB ~ May-June 2005; SSR ~ Dec 2005; SSR ~ March 2006; BCV/VB ~ May-June 2006; Disney Magic ~ March 2007; BCV/VB ~ May-June 2007; AKV ~ Dec-Jan 2007/2008; DL Grand Californian and Magic EB Panama Canal Cruise ~ Aug 2008; OKW ~ March 2009; AKV/VB ~ June 2009; Thanksgiving on the Magic ~ Nov 2009; OKW ~ June 2010; Christmas on the Magic ~ Dec 2010; Disney Dream ~ March 2011; Wonder in Alaska ~ June 2011; Back 2 Back on the Disney Dream ~ Thanksgiving 2011; Disney Fantasy, VB Beach Cottage & AKV Grand Villa vacation with friends ~ June/July 2012; Thanksgiving on the Magic sailing out of Galveston! ~ Nov 2012; New Year's Eve at Disney's Aulani ~ Dec 2012/Jan 2013; Back to Back on the Magic in the Med ~ Jun/July 2013; Girls Cruise on the Dream ~ Sept 2013
Upcoming Trips: Spring Break on the *New* Magic ~ March 2014; Two Week Trip to the World ~ June 2014; Girls Cruise on the Fantasy ~ Sept 2014
discruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #82
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by discruiser View Post

Thanks!
I merged your thread with the AK excursion thread in case others have the same questions as you on the Lumberjack Show.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #83
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Anyone tried one of these yet?

All Aboard Steam Train (Skagway)

Mountain Point Snorkeling (Ketchikan)

I'd love to hear more about one or both!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #84
staffieri
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=jenandkam;41173512]Skagway - Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Experience - We thought this one was pretty lame. You spent most of the time on the bus and then modified ARMY vehicle getting up to the camp. We only spent maybe 15 minutes on the sled with a guy who spent most of his time telling us that he needed to raise money and sponsors for his Iditarod (sp?) race. Would not do this one again, but some of the scenery getting up there was nice.

Is this the one thats just the Dog Sled experience? Where there puppies? Did you book through Disney? How long was the drive there? I am bringing my 5 year old girl. The ice one it too much.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #85
flexsmom

DIS Veteran

But ... I'm a DVC member!

I booked the Yukon Excursion based on the great feedback here, and then started to wonder about one aspect no one has discussed - motion sickness. Were there many switchbacks on the bus on the way up, or was there a lot of "movement" in the bus?

My DD has no issues on the ship, but she "christened" the side of Haleakala about half-way up the mountain last year when we drove up to see the inside of the volcano. She was absolutely miserable sitting in the backseat with all of the switchbacks. We had to move her to the front and turn on the a/c to blow hard in her face! I don't want to torture the poor girl with a bus trip that will set her off. At least she is limited in terms of where it hits her - she does great on trains, ships, small boats, etc. - just not in the back seat of cars!

Thanks for your feedback!
flexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #86
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

Still trying to find out if anyone did the Disney Exclusive Musher for a Day in Juneau?
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #87
staffieri
DIS Veteran

Hoping to hear more feedback from those returning. What tours did you take? What did you like? Thoughts? Let us hear them.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #88
MontanaDJ
Earning My Ears

Lumberjack Show

My daughter loved the show (7 years old) because she got to help...but all my kids really enjoyed it...don't know for sure what the difference was, supposedly less busy and the logs that they cut had a mickey head burned into it, that people were able to take home once they were cut for souveneirs...I would do the show again...but you will be late for dining if you go, and it is lobster night...though they seem to have switched the semi formal to the last night...but they didn't switch the food...go figure! I would ask in advance.
MontanaDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #89
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

We did the Ride the Duck in Ketchikan. Booked it when we walked off the ship.
$38 pp (not sure on kids price). www.akduck.com
It was 'alright' -was fun and informative, but not the best thing I have ever done. If you want to see Ketchikan without walking around, its great for that. Then it takes you out into the water. Mostly showing you boats in the harbour. Heads over to the DCL ship so you can grab some photos from in the water.
Tour guide was sweet - young local college girl. Very outgoing and knew a lot of stuff. We were not bored, but also not overly jazzed. 2 kids fell asleep, 1 was quite restless. Lots of history talk. A few very lame jokes that are the type you would hear on jungle cruise. I would give it a 5/10.

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #90
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexsmom View Post
I booked the Yukon Excursion based on the great feedback here, and then started to wonder about one aspect no one has discussed - motion sickness. Were there many switchbacks on the bus on the way up, or was there a lot of "movement" in the bus?
I was concerned about this and called a tour operator. After talking to him for a while, I realized that we could have a problem with this. If you are really concerned, it's better to call and ask them since they can give you the detailed info that might help you decide. It's no fun being car sick on an excursion.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: