Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #481
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
father in law had his pacemaker replaced today. all went well. off to the hosp. this afternoon to visit.
Great news, hope he recovers well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rental01 View Post
Being a guy with an analytical mind, this whole gluten thing with me makes no sense. Before we expunged gluten from our house we used to eat bagels all the time. I don't know of any product with more gluten in it. I could eat those all day with no issues at all. In fact, some days we'd just go to Brugger's Bagels, get a dozen and eat them for lunch and dinner. Great stuff! Now, however, if I have a tiny amount of bread in a container of squash casserole, or if I have some bread crumbs in butter that gets worked into my rice I get violently ill.

That makes NO sense to me.

So, in a test of this, I had chinese take-out today. They use soy sauce in their cooking and that has wheat in it. They use communal woks so the chance for cross contamination is high. I did not, however, have anything specifically made of wheat because, well, I wimped out. I had kung pao chicken. It does have soy sauce in it but I'm not sure if that will really give me enough to get sick. Either way, I feel fine.

So what's the damage here? I don't get this! BAH!
Maybe the squash casserole was tainted.

Can you still eat bagels without issues?
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011

me dw ds(13) dd(7)

Old 05-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #482
Rental01
DIS Dadís Club Member #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
I'm taking a pass on this. I do research into asthma & inflammation, & I still can't understand it. There's a ton we dint understand about allergies yet, so who knows why some people react in certain ways. My only advice is that we are overly simplistic in our understanding & beware of anyone who tells you they know the real truth...
Here's my fix:

I'm gonna eat like usual and if I get sick then I'll remove that from my diet. Ta-daa!

All I know is that I've never had trouble eating at flametree bbq or aloha isle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Hate to hear this, and I certainly wish I could tell you want needs to happen to get it straightened out. Hopefully youíll figure out whatís causing the problems in the near and be able to get on with the day to day. Take care.
Eventually I won't have to worry about this stuff. I'm looking forward to that day...
Home School Dis Dad's Alliance

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #483
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rental01 View Post
Here's my fix:

I'm gonna eat like usual and if I get sick then I'll remove that from my diet. Ta-daa!

All I know is that I've never had trouble eating at flametree bbq or aloha isle.

Eventually I won't have to worry about this stuff. I'm looking forward to that day...
Two quick comments:
1) There's been substantial recent research that pretty firmly establishes that there are people who are gluten-sensitive but do not have celiac disease. Having a negative response to a particular meal may have to do with any number of aggregate exposure issues that might trigger a more severe reaction (combinations of allergens or other irritants that might be inconsequential alone, but very uncomfortable in aggregate).

2. Have you had a full allergy assessment done? If you're having extreme responses, it's really worth getting tested. That would allow you to remove right off the top the identified allergens and more easily isolate the problematic foods that aren't tested for.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #484
Rental01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
Maybe the squash casserole was tainted.

Can you still eat bagels without issues?
I've not tried it yet.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #485
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Lurkey View Post
Question for you...experienced travelers. If you had your druthers, would you go to WDW in November or December for the Disney Holiday experience? Apart from the Holiday weeks, they're both value season, correct?

Keep in mind, I'm from northern Wisconsin, so cold is a non-issue with us. 40 is still shorts weather as far as I'm concerned.

TL
I have not been either month, but I would like to do the MVMCP. The MNSSHP is great and I'm guessing the other would be as well. Christmas week and following are peak travel times, so once mine are out of school, I would like to go in early Dec and get party as well.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 05-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #486
Rental01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Two quick comments:
1) There's been substantial recent research that pretty firmly establishes that there are people who are gluten-sensitive but do not have celiac disease. Having a negative response to a particular meal may have to do with any number of aggregate exposure issues that might trigger a more severe reaction (combinations of allergens or other irritants that might be inconsequential alone, but very uncomfortable in aggregate).

2. Have you had a full allergy assessment done? If you're having extreme responses, it's really worth getting tested. That would allow you to remove right off the top the identified allergens and more easily isolate the problematic foods that aren't tested for.
No... though I know I should. I know that I'm going to have to have my rheumatoid factor checked and I'm not looking forward to that so I've been putting off my yearly physical. My wife is at the point of knocking me out and dragging me to the doctor so I'll probably get it in next month.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #487
Rental01

Quote:
Question for you...experienced travelers. If you had your druthers, would you go to WDW in November or December for the Disney Holiday experience? Apart from the Holiday weeks, they're both value season, correct?

Keep in mind, I'm from northern Wisconsin, so cold is a non-issue with us. 40 is still shorts weather as far as I'm concerned.

TL
November. We go in November of every year - it's not cold (warm for us) and the weather is usually very mild. You also don't have to worry about a lot of the rides being closed for refurbishing. Early December is a good time too but that starts to get too cold for my family.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #488
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
father in law had his pacemaker replaced today. all went well. off to the hosp. this afternoon to visit.
Prayers for him and the rest of the family, Dave

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 6/18/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #489
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Two quick comments:
My wife resembles that diagnosis.
DIS Dad Club Member #536

me dw ds(13) dd(7)

Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #490
Singledad
DIS Veteran

the long route.

soo... i took the long route to posting this... been lurking about, reading a thread page here and there since I joined the dis. Then I joined the FB group, then I posted on the intro thread, then the DIS Dads disABILITIES thread, and finally here.

So do I earn a member number yet?

Hi, this is scott (who most likely won't figure someone actually calling me this on the dis, so singledad is fine). I am a single dad to one DD. in 19 days we take our 2ed trip to the world as a family, and it is my 5 or 6th trip total. Executive functions, and memory really are not my strong suit.

3ed shifter, so will most likely be reading and replying in the middle of the night.

PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2702494 for june 2011

schdueled vacation (split stay): may 31st to june 3ed - ASMu, june 3ed to june 5th- CBR

birthday: june 6th

do not know what else you may want to know.

PTR June 2011 TR June 2011 Dis Dad's club member #594

Last edited by Singledad; 05-12-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #491
MichMickey
I want to go Home

Quote:

TL
I haven't been there in those months but my brother in law and sister in law have been down there the week after Thanksgiving 3 years in a row. They are also from Michigan and they said that the weather is usually perfect. They go down for a week and they noticed that as they got further into the week the crowds at the park seemed to go down. Hope this helps and happy planning.
DDC member #472 Greg DW : DS11 DS9 1976 Polynesian Resort
1996 Wilderness Lodge-Greatest Honeymoon Ever! 2005 Wilderness Lodge-First trip with the boys! 2006 Off Property-Marriott Vacation Club 2007 Pop Century Resort 2010 Coronado Springs/Pop Century 2011 Pop Century-15th Anniversary Trip

Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #492
billybobblockhead
Kiiiiiiids, listen to your mother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
I went on my son's class trip to the farm today, tons of baby animals, a goat had 3 kids right in front of us, but I kinda had a feeling what would be the things a group of 5 years olds would like and be talking about, Animals going to the bathroom
Funny. We went to the Asheboro zoo here in NC several years ago and when we got close to an exhibit, we could hear some kids yelling for their parents. It took a few seconds to hear clearly, but this is what they were saying/screeming: "hurry mom, it's peeing." Over and over and......

Quote:
Well, I think I figured out how to manage a surprise, no frills, Dec. 2012 trip along with our Jan 2014 familypalooza trip, provided prices don't skyrocket between now and then. The two biggest hurdles (aside from saving the money) are:

1. Convincing my boss to let me off for most of a week during our busiest time of the year (I figure I'll offer to work the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years to take the edge off).
2. Saving up the extra money to offset DW losing a week of work due to non-paid vacation at her workplace.

Both of those should be pretty managable...I think....

TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfinn View Post
Hey dads we are here..landed a half hour earlier than expected...830 this am...but magical xpress was having issues took an hour to get a bus...other than that uneventful...we are in the 60's building with a pool view...wow...kids r having a blast...head to magic kingdom now...I will try to post later.....mark
Sorry that you had to wait on the bus, but still a HUGE for being at the happy place.

Quote:

Keep in mind, I'm from northern Wisconsin, so cold is a non-issue with us. 40 is still shorts weather as far as I'm concerned. TL
We've gone at the beginning of November once. Great time to go, very low crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singledad View Post
soo... i took the long route to posting this... been lurking about, reading a thread page here and there since I joined the dis. Then I joined the FB group, then I posted on the intro thread, then the DIS Dads disABILITIES thread, and finally here.

Hi, this is scott (who most likely won't figure someone actually calling me this on the dis, so singledad is fine). I am a single dad to one DD. in 19 days we take our 2ed trip to the world as a family, and it is my 5 or 6th trip total. Executive functions, and memory really are not my strong suit.

3ed shifter, so will most likely be reading and replying in the middle of the night.
Welcome.

I just got out of the barber's chair a few minutes ago. I now have minimal hair and lost about 15 pounds in the process. Life is good.
DISDad #425
Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #493
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
How can you be using frowny faces in your title line when you're posting from WDW. That's like, illegal or something! If it isn't, it ought to be!

TL
Man Law

Can I get a second?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #494
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singledad View Post

PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2702494 for june 2011

schdueled vacation (split stay): may 31st to june 3ed - ASMu, june 3ed to june 5th- CBR

birthday: june 6th

do not know what else you may want to know.
Welcome, Scott! Emma's Dad should be by soon to assign you a member number.
DIS Dad Club Member #536

me dw ds(13) dd(7)

Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #495
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Do I have to do sing the song. . .

Marching along, we're Adventurer's,
Singing the song of Adventurers.
Up or down,
North South East or West
An Adventurer's life is best.