Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
McQueenofHrts
Mouseketeer

Jackson Hole to Salt Lake City Airport

Hi,

I will be attending a wedding in Jackson Hole in June. Airfare is outrageous, but it appears less if fly into Salt Lake City, rent a car and drive from there. Could anyone tell me what the drive is like? We are anticipating making the drive the same day as I understand it may take 5 hours to reach our destination. Is this even do-able? Also, how travel friendly is the Salt Lake City airport? We have two small children.

Thanks for your help!

Pam
Third trip to WDW-1997 Coronado Springs Resort

Second trip to Disneyland-August 2007 for Disney Half Marathon, 5th Wedding Anniversary and baby girl's first birthday!
Had fun with the kids and Hubby at Disneyland-October 2008

Survived WDW- March 2009!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My Backwards Driver!
McQueenofHrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
azlaura
Mouseketeer

We did SLC to West Yellowstone about 5hrs too. It wasn't bad and the airport is easy to get around, car rentals are close. We have also flown into Idaho Falls and drove to Jackson Hole......about 3 hours and beautiful
(DL Advisory Council 2004-05!)
azlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

SLC is probably the most popular airport for those renting a car to go to Yellowstone/Jackson. We rented a car there to drive to Idaho Falls for a wedding last summer, and couldn't believe all the tourists heading for Yellowstone. Utah is very family oriented, and the airport is fine -- not overly large, but our flights always seem to be the farthest gate from the baggage claim.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Coming from Arizona, I thought the drive from Salt Lake City up through Idaho and into Jackson Hole was lovely. It took about 6 hours for us to get to Jackson Hole. We left in the morning and made it to Jackson Hole by early afternoon. So, it is easily doable in a day. We had lunch in Idaho Falls to help break up the drive.

We also thought that the Salt Lake airport was very easily navigated.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
McQueenofHrts
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! Can you believe it costs the same if I took a roundtrip flight from the Bay Area versus flying out of the Bay Area and then return by making a stop in LA and then back home? So, we may make a visit to Disneyland for our vacation after the "vacation"! If I am forced to pay an outrageous price, why not make the most of it?

Second trip to Disneyland-August 2007 for Disney Half Marathon, 5th Wedding Anniversary and baby girl's first birthday!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueenofHrts View Post
Hi,

I will be attending a wedding in Jackson Hole in June. Airfare is outrageous, but it appears less if fly into Salt Lake City, rent a car and drive from there. Could anyone tell me what the drive is like? We are anticipating making the drive the same day as I understand it may take 5 hours to reach our destination. Is this even do-able? Also, how travel friendly is the Salt Lake City airport? We have two small children.

Thanks for your help!

Pam
Yes 5 hours can be driven fast. SLC is fairly easy to get rental cars in and get out of. It's right off I-80.

Get on I-80 East almost immediatly merge onto I-215 North. So as you leave the airport stay left to get on I-80. Then stay right to get on the offramp for I-215. Stay on the left of the offramp to get on I-215 northbound.

After you cross the border into Idaho go about 30 miles and make a choice, the fast way or the freeway.

For the fast way, exit at McCammon US30. Take US30 east to Soda Springs, ID(last fast food until Jackson). In Soda Spring take a left to go on a bridge over the rail road tracks. This is ID 34. After the bridge take a right. Stay on ID34 to the town of Freedom(ID or WY it's on the border). In Freedom make a right, then the next left. Road goes about a mile up a slight grade(It's a county number road, don't know the number). Go left on the Highway US89. Take north. In Alpine, WY at the stop light go right, still on US89. Follow the Snake River through a canyon. In Hoback Wy is some construction, building a round about. Make a left following the Snake River still taking US89.

For the freeway take I-15 to Idaho Falls, ID. Don't take the first exit that says Jackson or Grand Tetons or Yellowstone. Take the Broadway exit(I think exit #118) It is just past a Walmart on the Right and near an Olive Garden. Take a right on Broadway going west. In the down town you want to merge left to turn left on the Yellowstone Highway US26. Idaho Falls will have the last fast food until Jackson (BK and Taco time on the right). Take US 26 until Swan Valley, ID.

In Swan Valley you can choose the quicker more difficult mountain drive, or the longer way.

For the quicker drive make a left in Swan Valley, ID going onto ID 31. You go over one mountain pass. In Victor Idaho make a right onto ID33, this road goes over another mountain pass. It changes from ID33 to WY22. In Jackson Hole at the first stop light Teton Village is to the left. If you go strait it will take you into the town of Jackson, WY. In town, at the 3rd light make a left, at the Town Square make a left to Grand Teton National Park.

In Swan Valley if you take the longer way continue on US 26. In Alpine, WY at the stop light take a left onto US89. In Hoback, WY where there will be contruction on the intersection go north staying on US89/26 which take you into Jackson, WY.

If you have any question please feel free to send me a PM. I will be happy to give specific directions to lodging, dining, stores or the wedding location.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
McQueenofHrts
Mouseketeer

Wow, Skiingfast! Who needs Mapquest when they have you?! Now if only you could tell me how to get to Harrison Ford's house in Jackson/Wilson.

Thanks for you help. I may send a PM in the future if I have questions.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueenofHrts View Post
Wow, Skiingfast! Who needs Mapquest when they have you?! Now if only you could tell me how to get to Harrison Ford's house in Jackson/Wilson.

Thanks for your help. I may send a PM in the future if I have questions.
I can, but won't.

Feel free to send a PM if any time you'd like.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: