Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #556
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Yes with Blue Lagoon you can take your camera in the water, but honestly it's too hard to do pictures of your own family in the water. You are all right next to each other. So it's better to pass it off. Atlantis doesn't allow cameras.
So do you think if you had an observer you could get good pictures? My DH isn't sure that he wants to do it, so I'm considering that for him and thought he could take some video or pictures for us.

Discovery Cove doesn't allow pictures either which is what is causing me to go back and forth on which one I want to do (DC or BL). If I have to pay for those expensive pictures, then that really increases the cost. That is the main advantage of BL in my opinion.
RinkyTinkyTinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #557
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post
So do you think if you had an observer you could get good pictures? My DH isn't sure that he wants to do it, so I'm considering that for him and thought he could take some video or pictures for us.

Discovery Cove doesn't allow pictures either which is what is causing me to go back and forth on which one I want to do (DC or BL). If I have to pay for those expensive pictures, then that really increases the cost. That is the main advantage of BL in my opinion.
The obsever can not climb down to your platform, they have to stay on the main dock. I would say no, they can't get good pictures. Your back is to them for the most part.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #558
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
The obsever can not climb down to your platform, they have to stay on the main dock. I would say no, they can't get good pictures. Your back is to them for the most part.
THOUGH!! For the swim it would probably work, as they seemed to face the platform, But in the Encouter you didn't.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #559
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

We were not in the first group to interact with Dot, so I just took some pictures and watched. I believe we were the 2nd group though.

Here she is blowing out her blow hole.

Our turn!!! We got to run our fingers across her teeth and feel them.

Dancing with Dot! I make some of the weirdest faces!

Can you tell she liked it?

And this is the copied redneck version from the site.

And the redneck version of Claire’s kiss.

Claire and I were done with our turn with Dot. We told her goodbye and headed back up to the dock.

Claire and I went back to the locker and got our things. We dried off and wrapped up in towels.

I got a tap on my shoulder and heard….”that certainly isn’t the camera you had last night”. It was the couple from the show who had asked me about my settings/camera. They had done a dolphin excursion as well. I laughed and told them no, that one was left back on the ship.

While we were gathering our things they played the video that was taken while we had our excursion. I asked Claire what she thought. She kind of wanted it, I wasn’t sure. I told her we would go look at our pictures first and then decided.

Of course Claire spotted the gift shop! She instantly fell in love with a pillow with a dolphin on it.
I made sure this was something she really wanted and told her it would be coming out of her spending money and she was fine with that.

I snapped a picture of Claire with the pillow

and then put that camera away and pulled out the point and shoot. So all the rest of the pictures are lost…….

I took a look at our pictures…and WOW! How can you refuse. BE AWARE!!!! If you go in thinking you won’t buy, you will be VERY tempted. Luckily I didn’t go in thinking that! LOL! They had 3 pictures displayed and I wanted them all. We found out that if you got the DVD, which was on sale, the price wasn’t too bad…Ok it was bad, but not full price bad. LOL!
I decided on the DVD and 3 picture package. It also came with some magnets and key chains with our picture on them as well.
Claire and I headed off to the bathroom while we waited for the DVD to be made. Remember that girl I had pointed out earlier, well she was in there and she was dressed…..in Disney kids club CM clothes. I asked her if she had the afternoon off and she told me that when they do good things Disney rewards them with prizes. Her prize was the dolphin encounter.
Claire and I then stopped for a drink and some ibuprofen from the little store. I think Claire might’ve gotten an ice cream bar of some sort too. We walked around a bit in the area and I took several pictures. We didn’t wander to far though, as I wanted to get my DVD as soon as it was done and be on the next boat back which was at 1PM.

About 10 till 1 the DVD was ready and we paid for our purchases and headed to the dock.

Here is what we got.

This is the redneck version of the DVD. I can not find anyway to actually copy the DVD to my computer, so I recorded it with my camera off the TV and loaded it to youtube. Of course the quality is not great, but you get the idea. I am the one with the horrid laugh too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMJSiqcqWQ
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #560
dekkerdisneydreamer
Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

How wonderful! I'm so glad that you and Claire got to experience this. Seeing your pictures makes me want to do this all the more.

One question, were you able to observe the swim at all? If so, would you say it would be worth the extra $$ to do it? I really want to do an encounter, but the Discovery Cove option is close to $250 and this seems like the Bahamian option would be well worth the money. TIA!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #561
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Love, love , love the video and pics of you guys and Dot!! The faces you guys made were cute!! Shows how much fun you were having!!

Wish I could do this, but with 3 kids it would probably cost a fortune!!

Recently: 5/28-6/4 HOJO'S KIDS SUITE DISNEYLAND!
With Kids:
4/03 ASMO and Caribbean Beach Resort
4/05 HOJO's DL
4/07 Nick Hotel and WH
4-5/09 Nick Hotel and WH
6/10 WH
5-6/11 HOJO'S DL
6/12 Split stay: WH/AKV/Poly
5/29-6/12/13 WH 2 WEEKS!!

Before kids:
1986 WDW
1992 DL
BellaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #562
CDX4
Earning My Ears

Love it!

Loving your TR! I'm taking in all of your details! Thanks for all the great pictures too! We are on the Dream June 21st! I'll feel like I know my way around now!
1974 WDW Polynesian; 1976 WDW Contemporary; 1982 WDW Contemporary; 1984 WDW offsite; 1987 WDW Peabody; 1988 WDW offsite; 1996 WDW offsite; 1998 WDW Honeymoon - Coranado Springs; 1998 WDW Yacht Club; 1999 WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2000 WDW Caribbean Beach; 2001 WDW All Star Music; 2002 WDW All Star Movies; 2003 WDW Riverside; 2004 WDW Riverside; 2004 WDW All Star Music; 2008 WDW All Star Music Suites; 2009 WDW All Star Music Suites; June 2011 DCL Dream!! Next DCL cruise in June 2014!
CDX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #563
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerdisneydreamer View Post
How wonderful! I'm so glad that you and Claire got to experience this. Seeing your pictures makes me want to do this all the more.

One question, were you able to observe the swim at all? If so, would you say it would be worth the extra $$ to do it? I really want to do an encounter, but the Discovery Cove option is close to $250 and this seems like the Bahamian option would be well worth the money. TIA!
The swim did look pretty cool. You can see them in some of the backgrounds of the pictures. They were in the water the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBaby View Post
Love, love , love the video and pics of you guys and Dot!! The faces you guys made were cute!! Shows how much fun you were having!!

Wish I could do this, but with 3 kids it would probably cost a fortune!!
It is a bit pricey. I am glad we did it. I think if we ever do it again we would go for the swim.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #564
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDX4 View Post
Loving your TR! I'm taking in all of your details! Thanks for all the great pictures too! We are on the Dream June 21st! I'll feel like I know my way around now!
Thanks. I wish I could come with you!!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #565
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Great video! I so want to do a cruise after your trip report pics
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #566
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

WOW what an amazing experience, such great pictures too. What fun memories for you and Claire.
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #567
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post
I was just looking at the BL Dolphin Encounters website and I found a place where you can enter the date and time of your excursion and it will pull up all the pictures that were taken of your group. I'm sure yours would be in there. They still have all the photos for sale, but even if you don't want to order them, it would be neat to see them. Here's the link:

http://www.printroom.com/pro/dolphin...s/default.asp?
Oh wow...I didn't see this before (it is probably in our paperwork but I just didn't notice it. I just went back and checked out our pictures. Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerdisneydreamer View Post

We did the swim last month. I'm not sure if I could say it was worth the extra money over the encounter (since I haven't done that one) but it was an experience of a lifetime. We were in the water for almost the whole thing (other than when we were waiting our turn for the push across the lagoon). We were able to pet the dolphins multiple times as they passed by, we got family pictures and then in pairs we were brought up to dance, kiss, hug and feed the dolphins. The dolphins also gave each of us a personal treat (mine was that he nodded to say he thought I was cute, LOL, I believe DS's was a burp and DD's was when he squirted water on her to "push" her back in line.....she laughed through the whole thing). Then of course the highlight was the foot push across the lagoon. I have to say...that was amazing. DS (7) was too scared to try it but DD (12) and I did it and loved it.

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #568
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh! I was grinning like a total nerd throughout your whole video! So so cute! It was worth a million bucks just to see Claire dancing with Dot! Precious! And your photographs are really good. I know I am going to be so tempted to buy them if we do it. But you're right, how can you say no when they are that good and it is such a unique experience that you want to remember. I can see my DD wanting that same dolphin pillow that Claire chose. She loves stuff like that.

I am curious about something... did you not think the beach area at BL was worth hanging around for since you decided to go straight back to the boat? I've seen pictures where they have lots of blow up water toys and thought it might be fun to stay a little longer. Also, how often do the boats run that take you back?

Btw, I meant to tell you that I think I have solved the itchy costume problem. We went to the Disney store this weekend (my Mother's Day treat) and I found some REALLY cute and super nice nightgowns that will be perfect for costumes. They don't look like gowns at all. They are REALLY nice and made of that silky fabric that feels good. I let DD choose one and she picked Rapunzel, but asked if she could have Cinderella too. They are $25. Just thought you might like to know about them b/c my DD absolutely loves hers and says it isn't itchy at all. And it is cool which will be nice in the Florida heat. Here's a picture I got off the disney shopping website. Most of them are sold out right now b/c they just went on sale. This P&F is one of the few left right now, but I hope they will get more in soon.

RinkyTinkyTinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #569
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

Great update, I would love to do a dolphin encounter one day!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Dec 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #570
stephielela
DIS Veteran

It lokos like you guys had a great time! Those pictures are awesome, I would totally splurge for the DVD set too! It's too hard to resist!
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: