Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #31
S'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy339 View Post
Sorry this is my first thread and im not sure how to word what im asking, but here it goes...I've been before with my family, but this is my partners first time. I pretty much pass for straight but my partner is a little more flamboyant and i worry he can't be his-self. We're not the type to go round holding hands etc so we wouldn't be pushing it on to anyone. I hope you know what i'm saying? I just want him to love it there as much as i do
As a straight mom, I say go and both of you enjoy yourselves and be who you are.

Last edited by S'sMom; 04-22-2011 at 09:58 PM.
S'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #32
princesslvr
Mouseketeer

have fun and don't worry he'd be miserable if he "tried" to be anything but himself and you love him for "himself" and it really shouldn't be an issue!! Just have lots of fun and a magical time!
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #33
2disneydads
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We're a family of four - 2 dads and 2 daughters. We spend a lot of time at WDW and Disneyland and we never have been anything less than welcome. We've had people offer to take photos of us as a family and cast members make a fuss over our girls. (Admittedly, they ARE adorable!) We almost always are wearing matching shirts, which also gets us a lot of positive attention. But no cast member or guest has ever said or done anything to make us feel unwelcome. And we are not shy about group hugs when something special happens or about cuddling close together during something in the evening like World of Color, Fantasmic or Illuminations. The girls often like walking between us, with all of us holding hands. We are a family and we act like one - one that shares a lot of love and has a lot of fun together. (This is the same for Universal and SeaWorld, too, both in FL and CA.)

We also are bedeviled by the bathroom issue. We try hard to find family restrooms, which is not always possible. The girls, being now 8 and 6, refuse to go into the men's room with us anymore and want to go into the women's room. We allow it when we are places we think relatively safe, but we stand guard outside the women's room watching and waiting. It always seems as though some nice mother or grandmother ends up helping them out - we always seem to rely on the kindness of strangers! We really appreciate the newer resorts and facilities that have family bathrooms so that we can avoid these problems in the first place. We never would leave the girls standing alone outside a bathroom, even in a WDW resort.

2disneydads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #34
Schotz
Mouseketeer

Your family is truly blessed! I bet alot of families with they had such a wonderful time at the parks as you did. Happy Easter to you and your family.
Schotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #35
OllieDannyandMe
DIS Veteran

I am another straight mom who believes everyone should be true to self. I love seeing all the differences in the world. What a boring, sad existence it would be, if we were all the same.

The people who are brave enough to let their inner spirit and individuality shine through make this world a warm and friendly place. I love it!

OllieDannyandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #36
reynoldslux
Earning My Ears

Who else would you be?

I mean seriously - if not yourselves - who would you be? Trying to be something your not would be very tiring - and it is supposed to be a vacation - -- right?
reynoldslux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #37
MAF
DIS Veteran

Bringing 8 year old boys into the women's restroom is just ridiculous, and no I'm not trying to act like a troll or start a debate, just sharing my true opinion. Wow...
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:31 AM   #38
Knowlesk80
Forever a Cast Member!

As someone who is a season passholder who goes about once a month, the best advice I can give is to be yourself. You paid for your vacation, enjoy it. My partner & I sometimes hold hands & we have gotten dirty looks but we don't care. We love each other, we are happy & we show respect to others by not having any PDA except for the holding hands part. Who cares what others think. At least we are not making out. The other day, we were on the Tomorrowland Transit (People Mover) & there was a straight couple (teens) making out in front of us. We got into the dark area of space mountain & you could hear them moaning & when we got into the light, they were readjusting their clothes, etc. I guess these kids don't seem to understand there are video cameras in certain places on that ride, including night vision ones. I bet the Cast Members got an eye full.
Just remember, this is a family park. Enjoy yourself, be yourself but make sure you are respectfull around others.

WDW Cast Member 1998-2004
WDW Season Passholder

Me (33) DP (33), DD (12)
Knowlesk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #39
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF View Post
Bringing 8 year old boys into the women's restroom is just ridiculous, and no I'm not trying to act like a troll or start a debate, just sharing my true opinion. Wow...
Did you miss the part where I said at Disney we go for family restrooms or I take him into restuarants. And oh by the way, he has Asperger's syndrome and doesn't know social boundaries. So on the one hand we teach him to look people in the eye and talk to them, a men's room isn't an appropriate place to do that

It is very rare that I take him into a ladies room anymore but if the only other choice would be a large men's room where I didn't have a guy with me to take him then I would take him in the ladies room. If he had a brother then they could go in together, but he doesn't.

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #40
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Quote:
How fortunate that you aren't an 8 year old, and none of us are your mother! I am assuming since you are a big boy you go in the men's room, so you won't be bothered by youngsters in the ladies' room. Problem solved.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #41
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Untill you have an 8 year old of your own, and are in charge of that childs safety and security, I dont really think you have the ability to have an opinion on the subject.
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #42
artnerds
Mouseketeer

First of all, re: being yourself...have you seen the outfits the cast members have to wear in Fantasyland? If that's not permission to do anything up to and including full drag, I don't know what is.

Go, be yourselves, enjoy, and don't worry about what people think.

Secondly, to all the str8 folks who are posting on here and encouraging him and his partner to be themselves...you rock.
artnerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #43
lauravee
Earning My Ears

Straight 20-something here, with no children and no plans to be anything other than a great aunt.

As to the children in bathrooms issue, I will say that while I have been taken aback by seeing older children who (from outward appearance, at least) identify with the opposite gender of the bathroom they are using, it takes but a moment to remember that (a) these children are, or should be, their parent or guardian's treasure, and safety is a priority over all else and (b) there may be circumstances not immediately apparent that make the "right" bathroom the one they're in. The most outrageous bathroom behavior I can reasonably imagine occuring - children peeking under stalls or exposing themselves in the public areas of the bathroom - may be a consequence of the special circumstances relating to the child that the parent/guardian does their best to rein in, but of course, none of us can perfectly control the actions of another person, even - or perhaps especially - when those other individuals are children. A prior poster noted the special bathroom-related challenges faced by children with Aspergers. Any number of other special situations may exist. I aspire to keep in mind that normal is a relative standard and pause before I pass judgment.

Now on to the OP: I want to chime in to encourage you and your partner to embrace the "Disney magic" and enjoy being yourselves. While Disney is wonderful in and of itself, I find that what I treasure most is not the magical moments themselves, but getting to share them with the people I love. Your fabulous partner is the person you fell in love with, so I hope you'll be able to share the Disney magic with him, and not some watered-down version of the great guy I'm sure he is.

Have a wonderful time, make some great memories, and of course, report back after your trip!
lauravee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: