Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Celebrating my big 4-0 with the Big Cheese - Update 11/13, page 19

Welcome everyone to my quickie PTR which will segue into the real thing upon return. I leave just 1 short month from today

My elementary school son tells me that all good stories explain who, what, when, where and how. So in order to do my best to make this a good story, that seems like a good place to begin…

WHO?
I suspect most of you who have wandered over here already know me but in case you are a new friend, let me take a second to introduce myself. I’m Katie…

I am a mom, a teacher and a Disneyaholic. Those who have been around my TR’s before know that I grew up with Disney in my life. Both sets of my grandparents had winter homes in Florida and we made trips down there every couple years and these trips often included a visit to Disney. I loved it dearly as a child and wanted to go back for a long time as a young adult but didn’t have the chance to again until 2008 when my parents took the whole family to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary

It was a fabulous trip and renewed my love for the place! Last year I somehow managed to convince my husband to allow me to go without him and the kids. I travelled for a week with my sister-in-law and had lots of awesome Dismeets!!

So did I convince hubby again to let me go without him? Well, the full story will soon follow but in short…no way! So I will once again be accompanied by my 3 favorite boys in the whole world.

My hubby Greg: also a teacher and a coach as well. He’s a hard working guy who sometimes forgets to stop and appreciate the little things in life. He enjoyed bits and pieces of our 2008 trip but would never call himself a fan. However, he’s actually looking forward to visiting with just the 4 of us and getting away from the real world for awhile (yes, it’s been a stressful school year)

Our 9 year old Patrick: a smart and funny kid who is a Star Wars fanatic! He’s grown up a lot since our last trip and I’m hoping he will find the courage to try some of the bigger rides this year. He’s very sweet and affectionate and I’m excited to get to spend some time with him like this while he still thinks I’m cool!

Our 6 year old Daniel. He is a bit more daring than his big brother and I think will willingly go on most rides unless they have a fright factor (like the haunted mansion). He is also very shy and doesn’t particularly like people in costumes so it will be interesting to see how he handles the characters this time (he wanted nothing to do with them 3 years ago!)

WHAT
We will be spending 15 glorious days travelling “the world”!! We have 10 day tickets with the water parks add-on which should keep us plenty busy. We also will be on the dining plan which will take us to most of the restaurants I’ve had on my “someday” list for awhile now…yummy!

WHEN
We are leaving at 6:00 am on Tuesday June 7. Those who just finished reading my 2010 TR may find this quite amusing after my horror tales of having to leave Disney last year at this same ridiculously early hour. Somehow though it seems much more reasonable when you are leaving FOR Disney.

HOW
This trip came after quite a bit of discussion and negotiation! Back in 2008, I commented to Greg that it would be fun to return in 2011 for my 40th birthday and I had this dream in my mind for the last few years. About the time I turned 39, I started to bring up the idea whenever I could work it in and even talked about it in hushed tones with the boys who of course loved the idea! Greg basically ignored me at first but after awhile started responding, but not positively like I had hoped. He basically questioned what made me think it would be OK for the kids and I to go without him. You see, Greg is a basketball coach and my birthday is the week after Thanksgiving which would have meant he couldn’t come.

After pouting about it and trying to get my way, I realized he wasn’t going to budge on the point. My tactics then changed to see when I could convince him to go. His first suggestion was spring break since his coaching season would be over. Unfortunately our spring break backs up to Easter next year and although I liked the idea of going during that time of year, the thought of those crowds just didn’t appeal to me.

I had been thinking so much about a winter visit and really wanted to share Christmas-time at Disney with my boys so I suggested our winter break. Unfortunately this also falls during basketball season and although they don’t have games, he would have had to miss a week of practice and he just didn’t feel like he could do that (plus of course, the whole crowds thing again!)

I really had my heart set on going in 2011 since it not only is my 40th birthday but also the 40th anniversary of the opening of Magic Kingdom so I started looking at the crowd calendar. I commented to Greg that crowds are still not too bad in early June. The best deal out at the time was the free kids ticket and we realized that this would be our last chance to go before Patrick becomes a Disney “adult”. So a plan was set in motion!

Being teachers, we obviously have flexibility during our summer vacation and the ability to take the time we want (wouldn’t it be great to say the same thing about our finances). Greg knows about the ticket pricing and immediately started talking about a 10 day trip. I suggested we maybe add a day or two so we could have some rest time in the middle so we started to price out plane tickets. As it turns out, the best deal we could find was for a 15 night trip.

We debated whether we could make it work and I decided to call Disney to find out if I had any PIN codes attached to my name and it turns out I did….Free Dining!! That basically sealed the deal for Greg, with that, we actually saved money by staying longer and taking the cheaper flights and so a trip was born!

So although I won’t be spending my birthday with the mouse, I am considering this my birthday trip and plan to wear the button and celebrate anyway!!

Next up…how will we tell the boys?

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse

Last edited by kschafer; 11-13-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
kschafer
DIS Veteran

PTR Stuff
The Reveal
The Forgotten WHERE
Let's Eat!!
More food talk
To-do's
The Plan!

Day 1
Part I
Part II

Day 2
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V

Day 3
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V

Phineas and Ferb LIVE on Stage

Last edited by kschafer; 11-13-2011 at 08:51 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

Spending your 40th with the mouse sounds like a good idea to me, might have to barrow that from you. But than again I am planning on taking my DD in 2013 for her birthday witch also happens to be the year of my 40th.

We will be there not to long before you in late May/early June and will also be celebrating some birthdays that are not actually happening during our trip. My DS's b-day is 4 days before our trip and mine is in mid august. I have already added his birthday as a celebration to the room and several ADR's but I am not against wearing a B-day button as well.

Can't wait to read more. And am honored to be considered one of your new friends.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Megablocks
DIS Veteran

I'm here Katie! I know I fell behind on your other report but it will not happen on this one!

In the moments of our lives
Both the joyous and the tragic
If the truth is to be told
We are all pursuing magic

1994: CBR // 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004: POR // 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013: Pop Century
Next: May 2014, Pop Century!

Old 05-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Here! Here! Here!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Woo hoo - one month from today!

I picked up the park maps/info you wanted and will stick that in the mail to you, hopefully tomorrow!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
MeMom
DIS Veteran

What an awesome birthday present - two weeks in Disney World!
With us having to cut our summer trip short, even one week is sounding exciting right now, but two is just fabulous!!!

Your Star Wars boy is going to be one happy fella!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
manntra
DIS Veteran

15 days!!! You are one lucky birthday girl!!
Looking forward to hearing about where you are staying and of course your ADR's!!

Tracy
Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

I'm so in Katie!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip!! And I made 1st page to boot WOOT WOOT!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
sunny_stace
DIS Veteran

I'm here!! Can't wait to hear more and more as we get closer!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Wow. What a way to spend your 40th birthday but with 15 days at WDW. Have a great trip!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Happy Elf
DIS Veteran

I'm here! What an awesome birthday present!

Our July 2011 TR: Surf, Sun, and Big Family FUN! Our July 2011 PTR: Big Family Fun...Hopefully!
Our 2009 PTR: Twice the Excitement, Twice the Fun Our 2009 TR:Plans Change with a 4 year old!

Honeymoon-Yacht Club July 2001 All Star Movies July 2003 Hannah's First Trip-All Star Movies September 2006 Owen's First Trip-Pop Century June 2009 Our 10 year Anniversary - Caribbean Beach July 2011
Old 05-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine 1973 View Post
Spending your 40th with the mouse sounds like a good idea to me, might have to barrow that from you. But than again I am planning on taking my DD in 2013 for her birthday witch also happens to be the year of my 40th.

We will be there not to long before you in late May/early June and will also be celebrating some birthdays that are not actually happening during our trip. My DS's b-day is 4 days before our trip and mine is in mid august. I have already added his birthday as a celebration to the room and several ADR's but I am not against wearing a B-day button as well.

Can't wait to read more. And am honored to be considered one of your new friends.
new friend! We didn't celebrate any birthdays on our first trip since it was my parents anniversary celebration. I'm excited to feel like the birthday girl, nobody needs to know it will be a few months early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megablocks View Post
I'm here Katie! I know I fell behind on your other report but it will not happen on this one!
Glad you made it Meghan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Here! Here! Here!
Yay yay yay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I'm here! Woo hoo - one month from today!

I picked up the park maps/info you wanted and will stick that in the mail to you, hopefully tomorrow!
We went to lunch today and talked about where we would be eating lunch 1 month from today...is that wrong?

Thanks for the maps, do you still have my address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
What an awesome birthday present - two weeks in Disney World!
With us having to cut our summer trip short, even one week is sounding exciting right now, but two is just fabulous!!!

Your Star Wars boy is going to be one happy fella!
2 IS fabulous!! I think both boys are going to be thrilled for SWW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
15 days!!! You are one lucky birthday girl!!
Looking forward to hearing about where you are staying and of course your ADR's!!
All the details will be revealed in time, gotta have something to talk about for the next 30 days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
I'm so in Katie!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip!! And I made 1st page to boot WOOT WOOT!!!
Well, I'm not quite as popular as some of you so making it on the first page isn't as difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_stace View Post
I'm here!! Can't wait to hear more and more as we get closer!
Hi Stace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
Wow. What a way to spend your 40th birthday but with 15 days at WDW. Have a great trip!
Well hello fellow Iowan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
I'm in
Thanks for joining me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Elf View Post
I'm here! What an awesome birthday present!
Hey Janell, glad you made it!!

To all my fellow Mom's:

Happy Mother's Day!!!!

Hope you are all given the royal treatment!

Last edited by kschafer; 05-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

I'm here!! And I'm not even LATE for a change!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: