DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
"Florida attracts close to 20 million;"

ETA: Boy did I miss that number!

I can't find any current data, but back in 2006-2007, the actual number was more than EIGHTY MILLION per year.

I guess I was thinking of our population, which is about 17 million!
I haven't checked our visitor counts lately, but I do know that at any given time, the ratio of visitors to residents on Maui is roughly even: about 1/2 million residents to 1/2 million visitors. During busy seasons (summer, holidays, spring break) we are outnumbered by a ratio of between 3:1 to 5:1, and it shows since on my commute I'm constantly surrounded by rental cars.
Oahu isn't as bad since about 1/3 of the population (of about a million) is military. But they do get a lot more of the Asian market whereas North/South Americans seem to prefer the outer islands and Europeans love all the islands. Its strange living in a place where most of the people you talk to have no vested interest in the islands' continued health, social/economic/cultural or environmental.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
"Florida attracts close to 20 million;"

ETA: Boy did I miss that number!

I can't find any current data, but back in 2006-2007, the actual number was more than EIGHTY MILLION per year.

I guess I was thinking of our population, which is about 17 million!
OK...congrats, I guess. Florida is a much larger state and is obviously more accessible than Hawai'i. Also has those appealing theme parks which could easily account for 2/3 of the tourism.

Getting back to Aulani, Disney could fill the resort year-round by attracting about 150,000 timeshare owners and cash guests. Given the worldwide appeal of the Disney parks, films, characters, etc., it's impossible to gauge the impact on Disney's specific product.

If a company puts out the right product, it's not uncommon for that product to belie industry-wide trends. Two years ago the US economy was in a tail spin but Apple was selling iPods and iPhones (and later iPads) like gangbusters.

The Japan situation will undoubtedly impact Aulani. Hard for any of us to tell how far-reaching that impact may be, though. Will sales suffer for 6 months? A year? 2+ years?

Before the earthquakes I was told (off the record) that Aulani sales coming out of Tokyo were "stellar." If that's an accurate representation, we just have know way of knowing how pre-quake and post-quake sales relate to early projections, nor do we know how long the recovery process will take.

Elsewhere, fuel prices go up and they go down. Airline rates go up and they go down.

Whether Hawaii tourism is 7 million per year, 6.5 mil, 6 mil...whatever the case may be, Disney only needs to capture a fraction of a percent to make Aulani successful. Stay tuned.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #18
joihan777
Earning My Ears

Fascinating insight and I thank you all for your thoughts. I still believe a 'quiet', non-park resort in southern California would be welcome for folks not wanting to always go to the parks. I think a themed resort could serve as an 'off-park year' vacation. Disney would get the room sales and much of the dining/ services. But the San Diego beaches, Zoo & Safari are just too nice to pass up. A Tahoe site would be nice but travel there is rather restricted. I'm an avid driver but I cringe when I make the right turn down Hwy 50 into the basin... the STEEP dropoff would make Nemo, Marlin & Dory pass out!

I'll be considering the RCI trades further out for next year. For us this is still a new experience. Thanks again!

PS-Any ideas on cheap airfare to Hawaii would be welcome!
joihan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #19
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by joihan777 View Post
A Tahoe site would be nice but travel there is rather restricted. I'm an avid driver but I cringe when I make the right turn down Hwy 50 into the basin... the STEEP dropoff would make Nemo, Marlin & Dory pass out!
That's why you want to stay on the road! When my sister comes to visit nobody want her in the car b/c of all the sharp intakes of air.

I must say though that Tahoe travel is not at all restricted IMO. San Diego is the one and only place that a plane I was on had to abort the landing b/c it hadn't come in just perfectly for the petite landing strip. Just different things at different places.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #20
joihan777
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
That's why you want to stay on the road! When my sister comes to visit nobody want her in the car b/c of all the sharp intakes of air.

I must say though that Tahoe travel is not at all restricted IMO. San Diego is the one and only place that a plane I was on had to abort the landing b/c it hadn't come in just perfectly for the petite landing strip. Just different things at different places.
Coming from the Nevada or Truckee side WOULD be a little easier! I'm in the Sacramento area though. Hwy 50 is the most common route (and usually packed on Fridays & Sundays).

The thing about San Diego is, there are several freeways there. A family doing two weeks in southern California could spend 3-4 days in San Diego and the rest in Anaheim. I still think a "Cars" or Route 66/ Road Trip themed resort could be a huge hit. Something similar to the Aulani but more accessible by car, meaning the resort can have multitudes of child activities like a river pool, bicycle trails around the property etc.

A San Diego resort can even be tied into the Cruise Ship experiences!
joihan777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
availablility, rci, requests, resort, san diego

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: