Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #151
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Okay, I am confused.
I need John or Kevin to chime in with definition of group space and group pricing.

Kevin wrote that TA offer the same price as DCL. Can the TA offer cruises at a discount because they are booking a group?

I have heard them talk about group space. I thought that meant they could reserve offer a certain amount of spaces at a price set at a certain date. When the spaces ran out, the next set of group spaces might be at a higher rate if DCL raises the rates. Could that be the discrepency Skip sees?

Or, maybe DCL does not raise rates as cruise dates get closer. For PCC 2.0, I don't think prices went up much from the time the cruise was announced eighteen months out. Could be wrong on that, fuzzy memory.

John or Kevin, please enlighten us about group space and group pricing.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #152
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Okay, I am confused.
I need John or Kevin to chime in with definition of group space and group pricing.

Kevin wrote that TA offer the same price as DCL. Can the TA offer cruises at a discount because they are booking a group?

I have heard them talk about group space. I thought that meant they could reserve offer a certain amount of spaces at a price set at a certain date. When the spaces ran out, the next set of group spaces might be at a higher rate if DCL raises the rates. Could that be the discrepency Skip sees?

Or, maybe DCL does not raise rates as cruise dates get closer. For PCC 2.0, I don't think prices went up much from the time the cruise was announced eighteen months out. Could be wrong on that, fuzzy memory.

John or Kevin, please enlighten us about group space and group pricing.
There is no discrepency.

If a group leader or travel agent reserves staterooms from a cruise line's groups department, the cruise line will give the group a discounted rate on the staterooms reserved. Now, if the group space sells out, and the group decides to reserve more space, the price may be higher than the previous block of space. As the ship sells out, the price will go higher. However, the groups department will give a discount that is less than the regular price of the stateroom.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #153
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Kevin wrote that TA offer the same price as DCL.
Kevin didnt say that at all.

Kevin said "There are no additional costs involved with booking through a travel agency. DCL does not allow travel agents to charge more or less for their product."

The prices being charged for any Disney cruise booked by Dreams Unlimited Travel (or any other travel agent or agency) are those set by Disney Cruise Line.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 AM   #154
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Kevin didnt say that at all.

Kevin said "There are no additional costs involved with booking through a travel agency. DCL does not allow travel agents to charge more or less for their product."

The prices being charged for any Disney cruise booked by Dreams Unlimited Travel (or any other travel agent or agency) are those set by Disney Cruise Line.
I think, Kevin, we are on the same page, although I did not quote you exactly.
A cruise is the same price whether booked through DCL or any travel agent.

Our question was about PCC, not just any cruise.
Is the group rate pricing "special", discounted as compared to an individual booking the same category on the same cruise?

Post 23 from this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterJohn View Post
Correct! The staterooms we have on hold are held under DCL group rate pricing. This price cannot be combined with the onboard perks (or any other offer from DCL). This is a DCL rule - not DU.

However, the price you get by booking onboard and transferring to PCC 4.0 'should' be less than what is on our site as that will reflect the discount - that is if you compare apples-to-apples.
John mentions "group rate pricing". What discount (%?) is that?
It must be less than 10%, since John thought onboard booking discount would be better than the group rate.

So, the question... Has DCL increased the cruise price for the December sailing (as I have read someone post), or does the PCC 4.0 price reflect group rate discount for the group space?

Sorry to be so confusing...

Whatever... I still remember talking to John and Kevin at Cookies on Castaway Cay last December. I was on the fence about cruising DCL again. But they sort of talked me into rebooking and I am glad I did.

The PCC 4.0 will be special. I don't know what John will plan for us, but I will patiently wait until sometime in November 2012 to hear what it is.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #155
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDplus3 View Post
Hi All,

This may be the wrong thread, so I apologize in advance if I've highjacked it. (Feel free to redirect me or I'll gladly start a new thread.)

I'm exploring the idea of going on a cruise, but, I am an obsessive planner and I'm hoping the boards can assist me with cruise planning as much as it has helped with WDW planning.

I've never been on cruise or even researched the option before. Price wise, how will/does the 2012 Fantasy Podcast Cruise 4.0 compare against direct booking or other cruises.

Thanks in advance!
The best thing to do is ask for a Quote from DU and go from there. Prices vary on which cabin type you want. Sailing with DCL is awesome....plus if you book through DU, you are then invited to participate in the events that the Team (or rather the Genius) put together for us...Let me say, that it is well worth it....we would love to have you with us, should you decide to book on PCC 4.0.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #156
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I think, Kevin, we are on the same page, although I did not quote you exactly.
A cruise is the same price whether booked through DCL or any travel agent.

Our question was about PCC, not just any cruise.
Is the group rate pricing "special", discounted as compared to an individual booking the same category on the same cruise?

Post 23 from this thread...

John mentions "group rate pricing". What discount (%?) is that?
It must be less than 10%, since John thought onboard booking discount would be better than the group rate.

So, the question... Has DCL increased the cruise price for the December sailing (as I have read someone post), or does the PCC 4.0 price reflect group rate discount for the group space?

Sorry to be so confusing...

Whatever... I still remember talking to John and Kevin at Cookies on Castaway Cay last December. I was on the fence about cruising DCL again. But they sort of talked me into rebooking and I am glad I did.

The PCC 4.0 will be special. I don't know what John will plan for us, but I will patiently wait until sometime in November 2012 to hear what it is.
Skip explained group pricing pretty well.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #157
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Skip explained group pricing pretty well.
Actually, the question is not answered.

Current 11A price for the December 8, 2012 cruise

DCL - $2497.40
PCC - $2189.40

Is the difference because Dreams got us “discounted” group space or because the DCL price has gone up since the prices were first announced a couple months ago?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #158
Justin Jett

Quote:

DCL - $2497.40
PCC - $2189.4

0Is the difference because Dreams got us “discounted” group space or because the DCL price has gone up since the prices were first announced a couple months ago?
As I said above

"If a group leader or travel agent reserves staterooms from a cruise line's groups department, the cruise line will give the group a discounted rate on the staterooms reserved."

I am not good at math, but I think $2189.40 is less than $2497.40
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #159
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jett View Post
As I said above

"If a group leader or travel agent reserves staterooms from a cruise line's groups department, the cruise line will give the group a discounted rate on the staterooms reserved."

I am not good at math, but I think $2189.40 is less than $2497.40
Is the $308 difference because Dreams got us “discounted” group space or because the DCL price has gone up since the prices were first announced a couple months ago?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #160
FrankieDplus3
Can't wait to go back!

Okay...I like that my post generated some conversation.

I would like to thank all of you that responded and provided me with some clarity. (Yes, clarity, the responses have not confused me.)

DUT pricing for this PCC is less but consistent with DCL pricing. I understand that booking with DUT will provide me "special bonuses" in the form of special events/shows/guests/appearances/iPad 3s or 4s? ... etc will add to the "value" of the trip.

Convincing me to go on this PCC is not a hard thing to do. Convincing my DW to go on this cruise (or any Caribbean cruise for that matter - her wish is the Mediterranean) is a story for another thread.

Thanks for all of the support. I'll keep reading and maybe start planning for PCC 5.0 if 4.0 can't happen.
FrankieDplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #161
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Is the difference because Dreams got us “discounted” group space or because the DCL price has gone up since the prices were first announced a couple months ago?
Yes.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #162
Justin Jett

Quote:
Is the $308 difference because Dreams got us “discounted” group space or because the DCL price has gone up since the prices were first announced a couple months ago?
Again, as I said above "As the ship sells out, the price will go higher. However, the groups department will give a discount that is less than the regular price of the stateroom. "

Rates for group space on a cruise ship are lower than regular prices on individual bookings. Group discounts may not be the only discount offered by the cruise line. There couild be deeper discounts available, but group space will be discounted in accordance with the cruise line's policy.

Most of the time, discounts cannot be combined. If you are offered a choice of discounts (i.e. Onboard booking or Group pricing) than it is a good idea to compare and figure out what is the best deal for your situation.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #163
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes.
Very short, consice answer, Kevin.

So, yes.

Yes, PCC is a lower price than if a person booked the same cruise and was not in a group.

Yes, DCL has increased prices.

In my case, I believe I got a deeper discount using onboard booking.

I thought I would get a full answer from a Dreams agent, John or Kevin.
Skip, you seem to have a thorough understanding of this matter. Have you become a travel agent? Is it your it your new field of study?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #164
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:

DCL - $2497.40
PCC - $2189.40

I think it's a combination of both, Lyn. Group space will "lock" in pricing as long as there are available cabins to book in the group block. And yes, the prices do go up as categories sell out.

My friends went through this with the Hawaii sailing. One friend booked it as a solo and it sold out within a day or so after she booked. Then a week later or so, another friend wanted to be added to the cabin, but she had to wait until the "sold out" cabins were added back to inventory when people forfeited on the deposits. She had to pay a higher price for her share of the cabin because of that.

Quote:
Very short, consice answer, Kevin.

So, yes.

Yes, PCC is a lower price than if a person booked the same cruise and was not in a group.

Yes, DCL has increased prices.

In my case, I believe I got a deeper discount using onboard booking.

I thought I would get a full answer from a Dreams agent, John or Kevin.
Skip, you seem to have a thorough understanding of this matter. Have you become a travel agent? Is it your it your new field of study?
Lyn, are you trying to come across as a smart ***? Seriously, dial it back a notch. Considering what Kevin and John are going through with Kevin's mom right now, I'd think you'd have been a little more sensitive and cut them a bit of slack for not getting answers to every question ASAP.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #165
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Lori. Your answer truly made sense to me.

And, no, I was just curious. I was not being a smart ***. I am truly sorry it was coming across that way.

I think I understand. And what I still am not completely clear about, I am dropping.

Good health, hugs and pixie dust to all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: