Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
HeatherSP
Mouseketeer

To dance or not to dance .... that is the question

This is our trip report for my daughter's Make A Wish Trip to dance with princess Tiana.

For our story you can check out our PTR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=38899349

4:30 am comes VERY early.
But that didn’t matter too much because everyone was too excited to sleep anyway. We sent the kids to bed at 7 as planned but still had a lot of last minute packing to do. Even though we made sure the little ones skipped their naps the kids wouldn’t go to sleep. Steve and I finally went to bed around 9 and like the kids I was too excited to sleep. I finally fell asleep around 10:30 only to wake at 11:30, 12:45 and again at 2:40 when I decided I may as well go get in the shower. Lhea heard me up and decided to “hang out” with me in the bathroom until everyone got up. But no one made it until the alarm went off at 3. Everyone heard me and Lhea up and decided it was in fact DISNEY DAY. We have been counting down to this day since November.
We were adding all of the last minute items to our bags when we saw lights coming down the road. It was our ride. And Make A Wish rides in style!

We thoroughly enjoyed our limo. The kids had so much fun in their “banana seat” as they called it.

Lhea was still a little sleepy and wanted to sit with mommy.

We arrived at the airport and got our boarding passes and checked our bags. We had heard that Air Tran waved baggage fees for Make A Wish but found out that they did not. We got through security much easier than expected. I told them that we were traveling with needles and they just said that is fine and never asked for our doctors notes or prescriptions. They did pull Steve aside for a random scan but he walked right on and out. The most difficult part of security was getting shoes back on all of the little ones. We were ready to leave 45 minutes before boarding so the kids played and Steve and I grabbed a biscuit. The kids had already had poptarts at home and weren’t hungry. Lucky them the food was awful!

We finally boarded the plane and found our seats. We were basically all together. Lhea and I were seated in the first 2 seats.

Bri, Alex and Gracie were right beside us across the aisle.

Steve and Ciera were right behind the kids.

We had a short flight (less than 2 hours) but the early morning started to get to Lhea. It wasn’t long before she pushed her toys aside and dozed off.

Orlando’s airport is HUGE! We had to ride a moving sidewalk and a tram before we made it to baggage claim. Just before baggage claim we ran into a special someone.

This is our Give Kids The World greeter. Unfortunately I forgot her name but she was great. She helped us get our baggage and took us to get our rental car.
We had about a 20 minute drive before we arrived at Give Kids The World.

We went to the House of Hearts to get checked in. The kids waited so patiently.
Unfortunately our villa was not ready yet. They told us to give them ½ hour. So what do we do????

Head on over to Ice Cream Palace. Did I mention that the ice cream is FREE! Along with all of our meals at Give Kids The World.
After we finished our ice cream we went back to the House of Hearts to check into our villa.
We were told it still wasn’t ready and it would be another 45 minutes. We were a little frustrated but decided we would just go explore the village some more.
We head over to the Amberville Train Station. We stopped outside for the little ones to ride the rides. Which of course were FREE!

And once inside Alex was amazed with the toy train set.

The kids had fun steering the boats.

And of course more games

And one last stop at Dino Putt! This was a lot of fun. It had a lot of surprises.

Afterwards we head back over to get checked into our villa. By now It is very hot outside and Lhea is exhausted and getting fussy. This time when we are told that our villa is still not ready we were very frustrated. We had been there 3 hours and the adults were as cranky as the kids. We were offered tickets to gatorland to help us pass the time but we knew that there was no way the kids would have enjoyed that especially in the heat. So another lady came over and told us to hang on a minute and she would see what she could do. We waited another 25 minutes but the kids played inside where it was cool.

Finally a lady came over to us and said she had a villa for us. The kids got excited and we loaded into a golf cart to ride over. Steve followed us in the van.
We found our villa!

The kids loved the castle look of it!

Lhea let us all in.

Inside we found our kitchen

Living room

Kid’s bedroom

With a huge bathroom. The shower was large and perfect to roll into with a wheel chair.

And a jetted tub that quickly became my and Lhea’s favorite!

The master bedroom

I took these pictures on our last day so it was a bit cleaner and the beds were made when we got there.
Just outside the master bedroom was a closet with a washer and dryer and a regular sized full bathroom.
Since we were all hot tired and hungry we decided to order in some lunch. We called Katie’s Kitchen and ordered sandwiches. It was Boston Market food and they were delicious!
We rested a little while then we were off ……………

Where did we go?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

WooHoo you started!!!!!!!
Bummer that your villa wasn't ready but glad you got a "castle" to sleep in
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
HeatherSP
Mouseketeer

We head out to downtown Disney to do some shopping. We look through several stores. We wanted to get some special souvenirs from our trip. We wandered for a while and stopped for some pictures.

The kids loved looking through the toys shops

We finally came to a Christmas shop. We got a Princess Tiana ornament and had them write Lhea’s wish trip 2011 on it. We also got a Disney ornament with the year on it. They were super cute. The girls wanted a Disney T shirt. We saw several but none of them seemed just right. So we found a create your own T shirt store.

Inside we made T shirts for the 3 younger girls that said wishes do come true. Each one was personalized for each girl. We love them.

And Lhea made new friends.

Steve and Bri found new sunglasses at the rain forest café store. But we decided not to eat there to make sure we had time to do orientation at Give Kids The World.
We headed back to Give Kids The World (which I will call GKTW for now on) for dinner at the gingerbread house. Tonight they were serving ribs. YUM!

Right outside the Gingerbread House was a carousel. Lhea called this the “miracle ride” I have no idea why she called it that. I’m not sure if when the other kids said merry go round she thought they said miracle ride or if she just liked miracle ride better. But I am sure I like miracle ride better. It is so fitting for a place like GKTW. This was our first ride of many on the miracle ride!

Then we headed inside the Castle of Miracles to the La Ti Da Royal Spa. Lhea and Ciera decided to get their nails painted.

The older 3 kids wanted air brushed tattoos.

Once outside we were greeted by some very enthusiastic pirates and a princess.

They invited us to the pirated and princess party. The boys got bandana’s and the girls got tiaras and make up.

Having 3 kids with ADHD this was a lot of fun …. Until they had done everything. So we decided to head out early. On our way out we ran into some very special “people”. It was the mayor of GKTW and his wife Mary. Who would have thought the mayor would have been a 6 foot rabbit!

Steve was at orientation while I was entertaining the kids so we decided to walk back to the villa and get a shower. But we got sidetracked when we passed Mathews Boundless Playground. It is a huge playground completely handicap accessible and decorated like a giant candy land game.
Lhea loved the slides

Gracie liked posing with the decorations.

And Ciera …. Well she was running all over the place

Finally we were all exhausted enough to head back to our villa and call it a night!

Last edited by HeatherSP; 04-25-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

I just went back and read your PTR. What an amazing story! I think that God chose the right parents for those precious babies. All 5 of you kids are adorable and I look forward to reading about your magical vacation, especially if Lhea gets to dance with Tiana. BTW, I love how you chose the girls names.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
maroo
DIS Veteran

awesome start!!

I am putting a link on the Wish Trippers thread!!

Keep up the awesome job! Can't wait to see if she got to dance with Tiana!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
fulseasmama
Mouseketeer

Great Start...having fun reading your TR. Looks like you all had a great first day!
Bibbiti Bobbiti Make A Wish Helps our Boo Have Her Princess Wishes Come True!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

I am so excited...You have STARTED!!!!! I LOVED the pictures and your Villa looks AWESOME, in spite of the wait! The excitement on everyone's face is so evident and it is nice to see You and Steve with huge smiles as well!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
HeatherSP
Mouseketeer

I have lots of things to tell you about today

Everyone was up by 7 and excited about our first day in the parks. We all got dressed and headed to the Gingerbread house for breakfast.

They had lots of good food. Everything from a hot meal of bacon, eggs and hash browns to a simple donut or bagel. The kids were excited about so many choices.

After breakfast we just HAD to have one more spin on the “miracle ride”. And our trip wouldn’t have been complete if we hadn’t ridden on the chickens.

We headed over to Universal Islands of Adventure. The first character we came to was Woody Woodpecker. I am sure that Lhea had no idea who he was but she was just tickled with him.

Woody saw Lhea walking toward him and stopped to give her a hug. Lhea hugged on him for literally about 5 minutes! I have no idea why she liked him so much. But Woody seemed to like Lhea just as much. He (well I think he may have actually been a she) was really enjoying the attention he was getting from her. The worker who was with him told us that whenever we saw a character just to let them see Lhea’s GKTW button and she will go to the front of the line.
From there we went over to the Hulk roller coaster. Lhea didn’t want to ride but the employees told us that since this was a wish trip that whoever wanted to ride could just show the Guest Assistance Pass that we were given at GKTW and our group could go in the fast pass line. This was great because the older kids could ride something quickly and we wouldn’t have to sit and wait.
Next we found what we had been looking for SUESS LANDING!!! And what were we looking for???
Well we couldn’t find them right away so we went to try a ride. By the time we got off an employee had let them know we were looking for them. We walked up and you would have thought the whole world had stopped. The line quit moving and they came to us! Who was it?

Thing 2 and thing 1 of course!
We enjoyed our time with them and started to walk away when we found out there were someTHINGS looking for us.

A whole bunch of things actually. They were on a scavenger hunt and were looking for other THINGS. They needed a picture of all of the THINGS they could find in order. And of course we wanted a picture too!
The girls insisted that we ride EVERY ride in Seuss Landing. SO of course we did. Including the carousel. Yes this one was a carousel and not a miracle ride …. But just as much fun.

By the time we were done everyone was hungry. So we stopped and grabbed some lunch. All of the kids wanted pizza!

I’m not a big fan of Harry Potter but the kids had heard they had fun rides. They even had a kids coaster.

All of this fun wore Lhea out. Fortunately Lhea's GKTW button also got us a free stroller rental.

This was the perfect opportunity for the bigger kids to ride some rides.
Lhea woke up just in time to get some ice cream.

Well she sort of woke up …. And sort of sleep ate (is that a word?).
We finished our way through the park. Lhea surprisingly really liked the Spiderman ride. She now has a new found love for Spiderman. We enjoyed showing all of the kids the “old” cartoon characters there.
It was getting late so we decided to head back to GKTW. When we got there we realized that the “gift fairy” had been there. There were little stuffed “mayor claytons” and a book for each child. We soon found out that the gift fairy visited EVERY day while we were out.

We had just missed dinner at the gingerbread house so we called Katie’s Kitchen and ordered meatloaf AND chicken. Dinner for 7 was huge. We wound up eating this for evening snacks for the next 3 days.
It was after dinner that I discovered the joy of a nice hot bath at the end of a long day. Fortunately the kids fell right to sleep and Mommy got to rest.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Yay you started your trip report. Luvin it. Luv luv luv the pics. Bummer that your villa wasn't ready but how cool getting to sleep in a castle and I love the gift fairy idea!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
ellenbenny
DIS Veteran

I am loving all the photos, looks like you were all having such a good time!! Can't wait to read more.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

I was wondering about the "things" picture, I didn't think you had that many people going. That is so cute, I bet they loved meeting a wish family
The picture of Lhea out like a light in the stroller is priceless
Old 04-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
Mom2mitokids
DIS Veteran

Yeah on starting yor TR...even though I saw the pictures on FB..I loved reading the story with pictures...did that make since?...lol. I'm so jealous you saw Thing 1 and 2. The only characters out when we went was Cat in the Hat and Grinch. We did want to see them, but the older girls had their Thing shirts on and wanted pictures with them.

TR..http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=40564833

http://www.facebook.com/HopeforKylee
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
HeatherSP
Mouseketeer

A VERY Special Morning

I woke up especially early this morning. I laid in the bed from about 5:30 – 6:45 when I gave up on sleeping and decided to head for the shower. After gathering some clothes and towels I heard the pitter patter of little feet behind me. It was Lhea, she was up and ready to go ride more rides. I certainly didn’t want to wake up everyone else in the house and have 5 grumpy kids today. So I decided I would let Lhea play in the “hot tub bath” as she called it while I took a shower in the other shower beside her.

Lhea quickly realized that turning the jets back on after she rinsed her hair made BUBBLES!!! And boy did she like that! This was the first of many early morning bubble baths Lhea enjoyed.
After I was done with my shower I rinsed Lhea. I noticed her face looked very red. I checked her over and noticed that her arms and legs were broke out too. It was then that I realized that the “kids” sunblock that I put on her arms, legs and face yesterday really wasn’t the same as the “baby” sunblock that I usually use of the same brand. Lhea’s skin is very sensitive and she breaks out to many things, soaps, laundry detergent, hand sanitizer, baby wipes …. And the list goes on and on. I was careful to use all of the same things that we use at home …. Except the kids (instead of baby) sunblock. This rash hung around for several days and I felt so bad. Fortunately, it doesn’t look too bad in her pictures.
Soon everyone was up and dressed and we were off to the Gingerbread house for breakfast. After filling her belly Lhea decided she might still be a little sleepy.

But there was no time for a nap. We are at Give Kids the World after all.

So what should we do?

Go in here?
Where does this door lead?
The most magical place in the whole world!
The castle of miracles!

Look up at the ceiling and you will see a sky full of stars. But these aren’t just any stars ….. each star represents one of God’s little angels. Every wish child makes a star with their name on it.
I helped Lhea make hers.

Her star is just perfect!

Then she placed it in the magic box

And when she closed it something special happened

The fairy comes and takes her star and while she is sleeping that night they place it on the ceiling where it will remain forever!
Then she was off to the wishing well…. Where she made a wish and threw her penny in.

I know that I have mentioned before that everything at GKTW is free ….. but really EVERYTHING there is free. They even supply the pennies for the wishing well.
Then she found the magic mirror.

When you look in it a crown and robe magically appear on you. It’s really neat.
Finally Lhea made her way to the magic tree. The tree made pillows! Lhea and the magic tree made pillows for all of the kids!

The kids ran through the castle and played on a little slide they had, colored pictures and even played with Mr. Potato head. They had so much fun it took them a little while to realize that we were supposed to be going to the parks today.
The night before we had debated on where to go today… Hollywood studios? Epcot? Yes those sound perfect ….. but what happened after we left the castle of miracles? Where did we go?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
HeatherSP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
WooHoo you started!!!!!!!
Bummer that your villa wasn't ready but glad you got a "castle" to sleep in
The kids LOVED the castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
I just went back and read your PTR. What an amazing story! I think that God chose the right parents for those precious babies. All 5 of you kids are adorable and I look forward to reading about your magical vacation, especially if Lhea gets to dance with Tiana. BTW, I love how you chose the girls names.
Thanks we have been very blessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
awesome start!!

I am putting a link on the Wish Trippers thread!!

Keep up the awesome job! Can't wait to see if she got to dance with Tiana!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulseasmama View Post
Great Start...having fun reading your TR. Looks like you all had a great first day!
We had so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
I am so excited...You have STARTED!!!!! I LOVED the pictures and your Villa looks AWESOME, in spite of the wait! The excitement on everyone's face is so evident and it is nice to see You and Steve with huge smiles as well!!!
Our villa really was awesome! Everyone was thrilled with it once we got in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Yay you started your trip report. Luvin it. Luv luv luv the pics. Bummer that your villa wasn't ready but how cool getting to sleep in a castle and I love the gift fairy idea!
It was incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbenny View Post
I am loving all the photos, looks like you were all having such a good time!! Can't wait to read more.
I took over 1200 photos! I'm really trying hard not to post too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
I was wondering about the "things" picture, I didn't think you had that many people going. That is so cute, I bet they loved meeting a wish family
The picture of Lhea out like a light in the stroller is priceless
I was amazed with all of the "things". It was so fun. I'm glad we got the picture. You may not have noticed but I had a twin ... there was another thing 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2mitokids View Post
Yeah on starting yor TR...even though I saw the pictures on FB..I loved reading the story with pictures...did that make since?...lol. I'm so jealous you saw Thing 1 and 2. The only characters out when we went was Cat in the Hat and Grinch. We did want to see them, but the older girls had their Thing shirts on and wanted pictures with them.
I HAD to start with pictures on facebook. My mom was begging to see them. I am actually just copying and pasting what I write on the disboards onto a blog so my family can follow it. The pictures make more sense with the story
Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
brookerene
DIS Veteran

GReat photos so far... GKTW is great!!!!! It was nice to meet you quickly on the day you left!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: